Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetary Annihilation kickstarter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,979 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

its quite the experiment isnt it, the pricing.

I understand it though. Those paying for Beta will have an influence on the development of the core product. Especially those brave enough to have paid for early alpha tiers. For me though, well, there was a reason I stepped out of Games Development :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Right now I'm not feeling too much incentive to buy into this game when it's simply Supreme Commander but with balancing and multiple planets, which FAF has already done to forged alliance for free. Their new "galactic war" is quite impressive when you see it in the client and remember it's fan-made. The webpage for it is down unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Overheal wrote: »
    there was a reason I stepped out of Games Development :pac:

No good at it? :pac:

you could say that. im too much of a neat freak for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Overheal wrote: »
    you could say that. im too much of a neat freak for it.

Gotcha, neat and deadlines don't really mix too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Anyone playing the beta for this? It should be released in December right?

Gotcha, neat and deadlines don't really mix too well.
    pretty much. I was more interested in trying to get physics/simulation stuff and fine polish effects done rather than the actual target :p like go play Star Conflict and look at how each ship's guns track targets and ships fine-maneuver themselves with inertia and monoprop jets, and the missile tracking AI. That kind of stuff, which has barely anything to do with making sure the game first runs :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Still no release date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NaloaC

If I remember correctly, it's due out before Christmas this year officially.

Haven't played the Alpha/Beta near as much as I had anticipated, but I've got too many titles to distract myself with anyway.

What PA is bring to the RTS scene is incredibly ambitious, but holy hell have they been making phenomenal progress so far!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hopefully it'll be out before Xmas :D ehhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

officially it wont be this year at all. Just read on polygon that they've announced the release date will be "when it's done" in early 2014.

If you ask me, it's a sham to keep the pricing the way it is on steam at its still ridiculous 54.99, but hey at least it's not 89.99 anymore :D

I still wont buy it, even though i'd like to (when it's done) at it's current price.

****ing joke *rages*

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mojojojoprime

Really looking forward to this game it might be exactly what the RTS scene needs right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

This is now down to 45€ on steam and 50$ from ubernet so around 37€ which is reasonable territory for this even though its a beta but you get the full game for that price too so not bad.

I'm enjoying it, the AI is evil though ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

on sale for €24.60

I'm still in two minds whether to get this, so has anyone played and what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'd not jump in (yet). I've played about 5 games at various stages of the beta and never felt like going back for a 2nd game in the hours/days after playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

grizzly wrote: »
    I'd not jump in (yet). I've played about 5 games at various stages of the beta and never felt like going back for a 2nd game in the hours/days after playing.

How come? It looks pretty fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Just picked this up in the steam sales for 15 quid. Have to say I'm really enjoying it. They've added a new single player mode called Galactic War that is quite addictive. Definitely recommend picking it up if it goes as low again.

• Advertisement

had a few games and got my arse handed to me and too lazy to watch the tutorial, how do you start building aircraft and making missile launchers?

Skerries wrote: »
    had a few games and got my arse handed to me and too lazy to watch the tutorial, how do you start building aircraft and making missile launchers?

In the Galactic War mode is it? That's all I've played so far!

Skerries wrote: »
    In the Galactic War mode is it? That's all I've played so far!

In regular Multiplayer the whole tech tree is unlocked: Aircraft, Bots, Tanks, Nukes, Orbital Lasers, and Halley V Engines the wonderful tools of destruction that knock large objects into other large objects.

In Galactic War though you start off with only the basics: 3 open Tech Slots, and the Vehicle Factory basic loadout. Other starting loadouts appear to be unlockable. But within the Galactic War itself you can unlock tech and powerups (Exploring a Planet you will get tech like "Complete Orbital Tech" or "Basic Air Tech" and so on, and these each take up 1 slot, so obviously Complete is rarer than Basic or Advanced (Advanced requiring you to have Basic; in the case of Basic Vehicles you have this by default) Other tech slot powerups include things like increase efficiency of Metal and Power generation by 40%, Sub Commanders (AI-controlled Allies) etc.

It's a lot of fun in the current state its in. On a laptop I find the lag between laptop and server though causes a lot of server side crashes, havent played it on my main PC yet. And the AI of course builds out quite fast - if you haven't taken a serious dent into them within the first 20-30 minutes, in some cases you might be screwed unless you can retreat to an uninhabited moon or something.

The shortest game I've played was 8 minutes and the longest was 2 and a half hours: the AI pushed me off world, and had some nasty tech: I did not have air, he did, and he had orbital fighters, artillery cannons that shoot over the horizon, and made use of anti-orbit defenses. All I had were basic vehicles and orbital tech. I tried twice to return to the planet by rushing a stargate and dumping my vehicles in, but he had literally hundreds of planes, and splash damage from the few bombs that made it past all my AA did it all in. Twice.
    I had to build orbital-fabricators on the moon, and send them to a barren spot back on the main planet and quickly build as many orbital defences as possible. He sent his orbital fighters after me which I managed to repel because he had them in small enough numbers and I eventually covered an entire hemisphere in orbital defences until it was safe enough to build another stargate to let my ground forces warp in. After they died, again, I just kept inched orbital cannons forward taking advantage of the fact that an Umbrella (ground anti-orbit) is outranged very slightly by the orbital defence cannon. Finally!

In a normal muliplayer game it would have been much simpler: secure a spot in orbit above the planet, locate the oppossite side of the planet where the commander was, and hurl the moon at him (making sure your own comm is safely sitting in orbit on a carrier). Or nukes. Bitches love nukes.

How low did it go in the steam sale?

How low did it go in the steam sale?

€15.60 or there abouts. Was 66% off

€15.60 or there abouts. Was 66% off

Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

I bought it, haven't a clue what I'm doing but it's pretty enjoyable

Current steam sale vote will bring PA back to 66% off. Vote now!

Oh please god make it win.....can't get to a computer atm >_<

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thanks Overheal...your description above just made me want to buy another bloody game :(

Advertisement