Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 7, Episode 1 - "Asylum of the Daleks"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What are the spoiler rules this year? Lots of people talking about the new companion - I've been able to keep myself totally locked away but it seems I'm being spoilt in this thread itself. I didn't even know who had been cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

If a thread title says "Spoilers" it's ok to talk without spoiler tags.
    I'm kind of surprised how much everyone liked this episode. It wans't bad but it wasn't that good. It just felt like something was missing the whole time. i'm not sure why but it did.

River maybe? :P

I really enjoyed it anyway, I think it's just got to do with the excitement of the new season but I found the episode to be intense, exciting and pretty funny aswell. I enjoyed Oswyn or Oswin, however the hell you spell it, but It's pretty much explained that the only reason she could hack the Daleks was because she herself was a Dalek, so I don't think Jenna's companion character will be as smart as Oswyn/Oswin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I think oswin will join the doctor as a dalek, staying on the tardis. Not leaving on missions, but being technical support.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wing126 wrote: »
    If a thread title says "Spoilers" it's ok to talk without spoiler tags..

Yes & no, it's a bit of a tricky one to be fair, with Coleman appearing in episode 1. If it directly relates to the current episode, or any of them beforehand, then yeah I don't think there's a need for spoiler tags. For the sake of fairness though anything outside of what was announced officially from the Beeb should really be spoiler-tagged, it's the safest way all round.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

By the by, did anyone see this? It's a prequel video for the episode itself, it apparently appeared on iTunes. Looks like one of those Headless Monks to me, not sure what's going on (if anything), is the Doctor being controlled? To what end?

edit: removed 'trailer' cos the full thing's below, thanks to Das Kittington.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Here's the full prequel. Cool as fcuk.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes & no, it's a bit of a tricky one to be fair, with Coleman appearing in episode 1. If it directly relates to the current episode, or any of them beforehand, then yeah I don't think there's a need for spoiler tags. For the sake of fairness though anything outside of what was announced officially from the Beeb should really be spoiler-tagged, it's the safest way all round.
    This is what I would think - I'd even go just as far as the content of the episode and nothing more. No talk on trailers for future episodes or any casting news because people like myself go on lock down for anything. I didn't even know who Coleman was until I read this thread (for example) but now I know to expect more for a future episode.

Oswyn is in the highest security room in intensive care along with the Daleks that had survived the Doctor and the Daleks outside the Asylum are quite clearly scared of her. I don't think that's insignificant. Clearly if someone made her into a Dalek then the facility was operational before she got there and she was the reason it became so dangerous. Given how long her "shipmates" appeared to be dead it was hardly as if the Daleks realised something could get in and were scared of the insane Daleks escaping in the recent past and contacted the Doctor for another reason. They were probably more scared of the fact that they couldn't handle her. Their total fear when the Doctor first spoke to her in the Parliament suggests that at least.

Also, how can a ship crash land on a planet but a Dalek weapon can't penetrate it? If Oswyn is such a genius maybe she was trying to get in there?

She can't be the Doctor's daughter as the Doctor didn't need the armband and, likely, neither would she.

She can't be the Doctor's daughter as the Doctor didn't need the armband and, likely, neither would she.

But she didn't need one, did she? Her shipmates were transformed and she dropped the ladder to escape them before being manually (or Dalek equivalent) transformed.

There's something really harrowing about the idea of the Doctor's child being turned into what he most despises that really appeals to me. Sicko that I am.

I'm with you 100% on the Daleks being terrified of her. Even upon become a Dalek she resisted the hatred and kept the love (Soufflés and Carmen). If I were a Dalek that kind of power would terrify me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

Man, it's getting confusing just to keep up with all the different things to see this season! There were the webisodes, then the episode itself, and now prequels ( or preludes ) to the episodes!
    Very curious how they're going to continue with the story of his new companion. I assume ( can you ever assume with the Daleks ) that she's been killed when the Asylum was destroyed. So that might rule out a 'Dalek' companion. And if she did survive, I think it would also be a big change for the series for the Doctor's companion to be stuck in the Tardis; whose hand is he going to grab while shouting 'Run!'? :)

By the way, I see Sky's Episode Guide had Saturday's episode as 1 of 5. From what I've read, episode 5 is
    Rory & Amy's last episode
    . Is there a break in episodes then, or is episode 6 on the next week? How many episodes are there in this season?

J.

[Mod Edit Note - Probably not strictly necessary but if you have managed to avoid the news then this post could be quite future spoiley woiley]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭Basq

jasonb wrote: »
    By the way, I see Sky's Episode Guide had Saturday's episode as 1 of 5. From what I've read, episode 5 is Rory & Amy's last episode. Is there a break in episodes then, or is episode 6 on the next week? How many episodes are there in this season?

J.
    5 episodes over the next few weeks.... then the Christmas Special on Christmas Day (duh!).. and the remaining 8 episodes in 2013 (presumably from Easter 2013).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

Bugger, I'd no idea the season was split in two! :( Or is the season only 5 episodes long, and next year a new season?

Thanks...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Bugger, I'd no idea the season was split in two! :( Or is the season only 5 episodes long, and next year a new season?

Thanks...

J.
    The Doctor Who official Twitter account announced in March 2012 that it was planned that six episodes will be shown in 2012, including a Christmas Special, to be followed by eight in 2013.[72] In July 2012, Smith stated that it would start in August,[73] but Moffat later confirmed it was September.[11] Part of the reason the show was moved to the autumn was because Moffat felt the darker nights suited the atmosphere of the programme, as well as the classic series originally airing in the autumn.[74] He stated that the decision to split the series up originally came from the BBC, but he was open to anything that "shakes [the series] up" and that by making the audience wait would make it seem like an "event piece".[31]

from the Wiki

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Thanks...

J.

They're splitting the season.

I would say they're being rather strategic about this as we've got to starting talking 50th anniversary then, and there's been rumblings of something special coming our way. As the anniversary occurs in November next year, Moffat is probably being creative with his budget in order to do something good for it.

It's actually a damn good time to be a fan.

(Wanna 3/4 doctors plzkthnxbai)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Excellent episode, and didn't see the Oswin reveal coming. I knew something was up, but didn't cope the twist at the end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Just want to clarify one thing that popped up a few times in this thread regarding the Daleks.
    I think some people are confusing changing the timeline, and changing the Dalek collective memory. Everything still happened, its just that the Daleks cannot remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

GSPfan wrote: »
    Did you all notice Oswins finals words. She tells the doctor to remember her. Then she says to herself "run you clever boy, and remember". But she looks at the camera as she says remember. Its like a subtle way of telling the audience to remember her cause she'll be back.

I only noticed it when rewatching that today. I squeaked and nearly fell off the couch :o

Dalek prison camps? I don't understand that. Since when have the Daleks kept prisoners? Seems kinda pointless imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Twist at the end :eek:

/comment

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

I ****ING MISSED IT. FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Aoifums wrote: »
    Dalek prison camps? I don't understand that. Since when have the Daleks kept prisoners? Seems kinda pointless imho.
    It did seem a bit odd. It might be explained by the Daleks new found appreciation of hatred=beauty, where the despair of a prisoner camp = holiday resort for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

EXDeu.png

Have a look on a non-white background. Selecting "Evil" theme on the bottom left works.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Footy101

Not a bad episode, but not amazing either. Oswin character could be good in the future tho. The new Doctor is excellent at playing the dark/angry character, wish there were more episodes to get those sides of him across. Stories and production have taken a nose-dive since the departure of Tennant and obviously budget cuts over the past few years haven't helped. Pity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I wish they could have explored the asylum more. I like the episode but are sleepy Daleks that terrifying? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

well, is a cave full of slumbering psychopatic Bears terrifying? it is if you're the muppet who wakes them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, the daleks currently cannot remember The Doctor but who'se to say what happens when she returns. Assuming that she returns from earlier in her timeline and she doesn't end up being a dalek then the wipe will not have occurred. Wibbly wobbly.

Footy101 wrote: »
    Stories and production have taken a nose-dive since the departure of Tennant and obviously budget cuts over the past few years haven't helped. Pity.
    Are we watching the same programme? :pac:
    old hippy wrote: »
    I wish they could have explored the asylum more. I like the episode but are sleepy Daleks that terrifying? :P

I suppose they can only pack so much into the episode, but yeah, the asylum was really interesting.

The Doctor is obviously terrified of the Daleks (even if they don't have their egg whisks attached). My personal theory is that they killed his kids/grandkids. (Going on that ruined room in the prequel where there is the sound of children laughing.)

I was thinking about Amy's hallucination of the Daleks being people and the little ballerina girl. At first I thought that it was yer one at the start's daughter. But now I'm thinking it's Amy and Rory's child that never was. The way Amy is drawn to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Das Kitty wrote: »
    ......I was thinking about Amy's hallucination of the Daleks being people and the little ballerina girl. At first I thought that it was yer one at the start's daughter. But now I'm thinking it's Amy and Rory's child that never was. The way Amy is drawn to her.

I thought it was Amelia Pond. I haven't rewatched the episode so the girl might not have been her at all. Unless they cured Amy in the TARDIS I'm assuming that the conversion of Amy was going to be the overall arc of the episode. And I'm assuming everything in that hallucination was there for a reason. I may be completely wrong as I only watched it once....... while trying to update someone who'd never watched before what was going on (I won't call them a newbie as, since I'm only a follower since doctor 9 I consider myself a newbie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I really enjoyed it but it was missing the endgame. most episodes usually have an inkling of an end game ie the cracks in space, that small thread that ties all the random events together and focuses them on one point the place. I either didn't see it or it wasn't there

Aoifums wrote: »
    I only noticed it when rewatching that today. I squeaked and nearly fell off the couch :o

Well since forever really; many stories in the Old Series would feature slave to the daleks of some form or another. Daleks may like extermination as a life choice, but they still need slave labour to build all those giant statues of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Was thinking that me self, watched 'the stolen earth earlier today and couldn't help wonder how an amorphous blob species without thumbs built all those spaceships

Advertisement