Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Looking Fairly rough down there. Spotted some loon kite surfing earlier on on the webcam down there, though they were staying close enough to the beach..

Ahh I miss Tramore on a stormy day :(

Did you happen to see me get soaked by a wave by any chance? Heh..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    would have loved to have gone down to tramore today. but money is light right now. :(

Originally from down that way.. working and living in the big smoke these days.. :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

lee3155 wrote: »
    Did you happen to see me get soaked by a wave by any chance? Heh..

Nah wasn't paying that much attention.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Used to love parking up on the prom in tramore and eating chips in the car while waves crashed up from the sea wall onto the windscreen. :D
    Thats some major surge at the cove :eek: looks like a few boats have been destroyed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Used to love parking up on the prom in tramore and eating chips in the car while waves crashed up from the sea wall onto the windscreen. :D
    Thats some major surge at the cove :eek: looks like a few boats have been destroyed too.

Yeah, I think most of them were brought in though when the warning went out for high tides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Remind me not to buy your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got a 55mph gust at Durrow, Co. Laois after 8pm... for anyone who knows Durrow, it is well sheltered by hills, especially from the NE right around by the south and to the west.

The station record is 62mph recorded on January 2nd 2012. This was impressive for here, let alone an August storm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Still fairly breezy at Waterford Airport, which is just behind the beach at Tramore.

EIWF 152100Z 21030G42KT 9999 SCT014 BKN018 15/14 Q0992 RERA R21/2/////=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

maddragon wrote: »
    Remind me not to buy your car.

Hundreds of people did it. Never had any bad effects on my car at all over the years. I think more damage would be done to the cars of people who live by the sea in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Motoring forum is that way
    >>>>>>>>>

Stay on topic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

will it be calmer in the dublin region by 6am tomorrow ? i dont know if i should walk cycle or taxi it into work

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

what a grand soft day that was :) bit of rain from 11 to 2 and then tipped out for a game of golf around 3. nice wind, but overall, grand. no more rain.

Big thank you to everyone on the South coast for braving the storm for us so those of us in the midlands got it relatively soft

<3<3<3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

still very gusty here, with lashing rain at times, Co Waterford Knockmealdowns approx 190masl

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Midlands doodged the main event today less than 14mm of rain in the Athlone area

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

so unbelievable pissed off right, was in perks when that thunderstorm hit, i missed 25 minutes of a decent thunderstorm.:mad::mad:

Was in there from 7 to 8 playing bowling but went down the front first and caught most of the thunderstorm, you'd be surprised how many parents had their kids out in surf suits and letting them jump around on the sea wall getting hit by waves :eek:

Caught most of the electrical activity too wasn't that impressive, couple of flashes of lightening and a few far off rumbles of thunder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Howling winds now out in ballincollig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Deank wrote: »
    Was in there from 7 to 8 playing bowling but went down the front first and caught most of the thunderstorm, you'd be surprised how many parents had their kids out in surf suits and letting them jump around on the sea wall getting hit by waves :eek:

Caught most of the electrical activity too wasn't that impressive, couple of flashes of lightening and a few far off rumbles of thunder.

no wondering the lifeguards we're running up and down the storm wall area and the boardwalk.

i walked down the beach earlier, thought the wind was gonna knock me out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

no wondering the lifeguards we're running up and down the storm wall area and the boardwalk.

i walked down the beach earlier, thought the wind was gonna knock me out

I got out of the car during the height of it at about 6.30ish down at Garrycastle beach and I couldn't stand up straight in it and could barely breathe facing into the teeth of the wind, managed to get 15 sec of video before running back to the car:rolleyes:

looks like cork is getting lashed out of it. it's coming for youghal next and it looks like it's gonna be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Tomorrow:

" a spell of heavy, thundery rain along the south coast around lunchtime, will become widespread by nightfall, with some flash flooding in places"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guys looks like our "hurricane" has come a bit late in the day because it is now COMING OUT OF THE HEAVENS with EXTREMELY strong winds :-O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The low center is moving smartly north now and the band of rain (and pressure data in the 22:00 report) shows the low over Galway Bay now. It is 982 in Mace 998 in Gurteen and 993 in Dublin Airport.

East Galway to Limerick/Tipp will be the SE quadrant by midnight or so meaning the winds will pick up in that area for a while around midnight before the low centre visits Belmullet ( pressure 985 at 10pm).

6mb of pressure differential from Mace to Gurteen ( 100 miles) is a not insignificant amount and those rain bands are rotating smartly in the West. But it will be much quieter by morning.

these winds have picked up alright and they taken my bbq on a little spin out on to the middle of the road. :rolleyes: bah

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That was a serious amount of water just dumped on Cork City! Has calmed down a little now again

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Yeah same here. Riverstick co cork. My fencing is starting to fail. Big branches to be cleared in morning too.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Tazio wrote: »
    Yeah same here. Riverstick co cork. My fencing is starting to fail. Big branches to be cleared in morning too.. :(

Yeah. Im in douglas and it sounds now like it did the night of the floods in June.... definitely the worst weather of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

yeah, we just had that bout too, lashing rain, as if the ground wasn't saturated enough...
    it's pretty telling that my local farmer hasn't passed up the road at all today, that normally only happens when there's snow... didn't drive out but I guess the bohreen up must be in a bad state.

by the looks of things, the rain that is currently hitting cork is coming for youghal. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Rainfall radar highlights where the storm centre is now positioned.

217211.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

Windier now in Kerry then it was all day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement