Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Just seen Karl talking about the possibility of a dredd sequel in the dredd thread so thats probably put an end to that pick.

Wasn't Jake Gyllenhaal Goyer’s choice for Batman Begins. He'll be penning the script again so it could be Jake. Wouldn't be as excited about him

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Didn't Snyder say it's not based on TDKR? He just took that quote to announce it.

Yep. Basing the first meeting of the two characters on a storyline that takes place when they've both known each other for the majority of their lives makes no sense anyway. I think he just wanted to establish that their rivalry will be a big aspect of the story, or maybe I'm giving them too much credit and they just want batman to dress up in armour and fight superman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Just seen Karl talking about the possibility of a dredd sequel in the dredd thread so thats probably put an end to that pick.

Wasn't Jake Gyllenhaal Goyer’s choice for Batman Begins. He'll be penning the script again so it could be Jake. Wouldn't be as excited about him

I say it be ryan gosling or fassbender they be better bruce waynes though than batman. But think they may cast a unknown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I think gosling would be a decent flash actually. He can do the cocky, smart arse persona well

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Couldn't see Gosling as Batman, Fassbender could work though and he's worked with Snyder before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I ****ing love me some Ryan Gosling but I can't see him as the bats. I think it will be a more unknown person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Is this what a nerdgasm is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Any chance it will be Joseph Gordon-Levitt?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So I'm confused. Is the previously announced MoS sequel still happening? Or is this it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The batman logo looked like an "older" version of the logo (at least a very different version to Nolan's batman) and the superman logo was the new one. So I'd imagine batman will not be based on Nolan's batman but more on the classic batman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gosling would be an awful Batman IMO. Never the big fan some seem to be and don't think his style would suit Batman at all.

It's tough to pick a Batman actually, it'll be a huge decision for them, especially with how great the Bale pick was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

ricero wrote: »
    I say it be ryan gosling or fassbender they be better bruce waynes though than batman. But think they may cast a unknown

Can't see Fassbender as he's Magneto already. I would have said no to Gosling before but at this stage I'd take him if he got the role; I have a feeling this film is going need everything it can get to be a success. If that means Gosling bringing some star power and his own credible acting chops to the table then so be it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

After the ludicrous excess that was Man of Steel's final act, I'm reluctant to get too excited about this pair-up. In my mind, a throw down between Supes & Bats would involve the Great Detective using his sociopathic genius to get the upper hand on Superman; to outwit and put him in a position of weakness, so Batman can then pummel Kent with impunity. In other words, it requires a deft and clever crafting of the event, a very intimate fight (because clearly in the open Superman would win without trouble) that would be completely at odds with the kind of escalating carnage now demanded by studios.

I hold no great love or interest for Superman - I think as a character he's an emotional deadend and completely one dimensional - but even I was shocked at how muddled the messages and characterisations were in Man of Steel. The idea of Batman being pulled into this mess of a mythology is worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

So I'm confused. Is the previously announced MoS sequel still happening? Or is this it?

The MoS sequel will include Batman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Matt Bomer would be perfect to play Bruce Wayne/Batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Is this what a nerdgasm is?

Yes. All over myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

As long as they don't F up Batman's character to fit into this film, I am happy enough.

I see some sites that haven't a clue about who should play who are saying Robert Pattinson for Batman, do they seriously think Warner would do that? Comic book fans and Batman fans would revolt. :pac:

Anyways, I do hope they go with a slightly older version of Batman for this, and not go with a young actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Bullseye1 wrote: »

That's an interesting choice alright!
    He's a big enough guy, and can totally pull off the playboy image.
    On that, some level of focus on Bruce Wayne's billionaire status would be a good way to differentiate from the Nolan movies. Save for a couple of minor exceptions, Bale's Wayne was a pretty morose character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If they do cast Wayne/Batman as slightly older (completely dependant on if this is following TDKR and him being retired), how about Jon Hamm

mad-men-jon-hamm-08_610.jpg

• Advertisement

Doubt they're going for an older batman. More likely they're just going for the bats vs supes battle.

Yeah, if this is going to be leading in to JL movie then I can't see them going down the old batman route.

Hamm would be perfect I think yeah. Funnily enough there was a fairly big demand from fans for him to play superman too.

I'd say they'll cast someone closer in age to Cavill though.

krudler wrote: »
    If they do cast Wayne/Batman as slightly older (completely dependant on if this is following TDKR and him being retired), how about Jon Hamm

I suppose if you can't get the part of Supes, Batman's a good role to fall back on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Bullseye1 wrote: »

Had to google him, he is the image of Cavill (imho). Wouldn't be my choice.

I hope they go with a slightly older actor anyways, not quite TDKReturns old, but 5 to 10 years older than Clark at least, an established Batman.

Haha, I came in thinking that I had a revelation to drop with 'It can only be Fassbender', I now see you guys are way ahead of me! Can only be his to refuse I feel. If they're gonna reboot so soon, it has to be someone with acting chops after Bale. I'd rather see the character let lie for a few years, but I know the studio won't do this while he could be out printing money for them.

I didn't get to see MOS yet and am definitely going to strive to do so in the coming days before it finishes its cinema run, but could any of you who have seen it tell me if Batman will fit into this world, maybe without spoiling?

I'm assuming this will be a fresh Batman and Bale's Dark Knight is still in Florence, while JGL's Batwho was unfortunately fatally injured on his first night out on the job. Jaysis, imagine the shíte that Gotham is in at the moment :eek:

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I ****ing love me some Ryan Gosling

*Preserved for possible future use in Utd forum. PM of demands pending*

:pac:

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    Haha, I came in thinking that I had a revelation to drop with 'It can only be Fassbender', I now see you guys are way ahead of me! Can only be his to refuse I feel. If they're gonna reboot so soon, it has to be someone with acting chops after Bale. I'd rather see the character let lie for a few years, but I know the studio won't do this while he could be out printing money for them.

I didn't get to see MOS yet and am definitely going to strive to do so in the coming days before it finishes its cinema run, but could any of you who have seen it tell me if Batman will fit into this world, maybe without spoiling?

I'm assuming this will be a fresh Batman and Bale's Dark Knight is still in Florence, while JGL's Batwho was unfortunately fatally injured on his first night out on the job. Jaysis, imagine the shíte that Gotham is in at the moment :eek:

They could easily fit Batman into the film universe of MoS but they need to go for something more akin to the Batman of the animated series or even Arkham games imo (though maybe not quite as stylised). I think it's best if they leave Nolan's trilogy as a seperate interpretation of the character for the sake of both franchises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Zac Snyder = FAIL!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

stankratz wrote: »

Nolan's Batman definitely doesn't. One closer to the comic, where he's hyper-intelligent and a master strategist, would, since that would be the only way Batman could actually fit in with super powered beings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Have to say, I'm pretty disappointed by the news of Batman's inclusion in the sequel. It had more than enough to build on with the great setup of the 1st: aftermath of the Kryptonian attack, Lexcorp, Clark Kent, Daily Planet, etc..

Should've left Batman for a later film.

Maybe Wayne Enterprises will be involved in the reconstruction of Metropolis now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It'd be an interesting premise if Bruce did work alongside Luthor in rebuilding Metropolis. They could also share a mutual distrust of Superman.

The difference being that Bruce's attitude will be based on what he sees and thus can be won over. Luthor, of course, will have no such reasonableness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mrmanunited

The Dark Knight Returns puts a decent spin on the story, where Superman has to catch batman for 'killing' the joker... Trust in the Nolans, I cant wait, they'll do a great job...

The Dark Knight Returns puts a decent spin on the story, where Superman has to catch batman for 'killing' the joker... Trust in the Nolans, I cant wait, they'll do a great job...

It's not based on the Dark Knight Returns. Just taking some inspiration from it

Must be conflicting for Nolan to have to be a part of another Batman tale when he was very much done with the character in his own trilogy. They'll either ignore the Bale films completely, or retcon some stuff and have an post-TDKR Bruce come back to rebuild Metropolis. I figured any sequel was gonna have Luthor as a billionaire corporation owner who gets some military contract to use any remaining Kryptonian wreckage and tech to make some anti-Kryptonian weapons.
    The more interesting premise is the dynamic between Supes and Batman, one breaks the law all the time and is a vigilante out for vengeance and justice, the other has really strict morals and doesn't want to step into human affairs unless absolutely necessary and as he puts it at the end of MoS "on his own terms"

I'm sure they would do a great job but it's Zack Snyder and David Goyer that are making these, just like Man of Steel. Nolan had some involvement with the story but left to make TDKR early in the production.

I don't think much of Jonathan Nolan as a writer. His contributions to Termintaor Salvation were atrocious and the most interesting thing about Memento was the manner in which it was told. Take away all the jumping back and forth and played out in chronological order and Memento is a pretty generic and by the books DTV feature. I'm a big fan of Person of Interest but I've found many of Nolan's episodes to be the shows weakest.

The problem with Goyer is that he's great at envisioning spectacle but his dialogue and characterisations are weak. It would be interesting to see them bring in a comic writer and team them with Goyer. Someone like Jimmy Palmiotti or Grant Morrison could do wonders when teamed with Goyer though tbh I'd love to see a Morrison written film.

This years Batman panel from Comic-Con. Plenty of spoilers for those not caught up with the comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mrmanunited

Some good knowledge! Where do you find it all? Im prob bias as I love any superman story. Ive read most posts and agree that a lex rebuilding story could be superb, but the Lex stories always bug me as he has no powers and the story always becomes a lesser of two evils, a bit like the joker...

Its also part of the problem with the man of steel. he has already faced an opponent who has matched his powers, so now it can only really be a story of morals... Tog et superman to face batman, something epic has to happen which changes the direction of what we have already seen, I think its that which interests me

@Darko, great comments on Nolan, @Mikeroo says theyre not working on it, which I still think is a shame though, what he did with the dark knight and inception I think has changed cinema and films, that we can have blockbusters which make people think and superheroes who have a dark side...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Has anyone said hand it over to Bruce Timm yet?

Anyway, total nerdgasm at the news, but obviously concerned. There is a way to do it right and a way to do it wrong, I feel the Goyer/Snyder pairing is the way to do it wrong.

Obviously Goyer and Nolan did a great job with Batman, I feel if they take the character as he was established in Batman Begins and tie him to a more comic book universe where aliens and super powers are the norm, it could work quite well.

For me, it all hinges not just on the story, but on the casting. Has anyone mentioned Bale? Don't! I loved Christian Bale as Batman, but that trilogy must be preserved and untouched. A new Batman, with a new costume, new actor and a new Gotham is needed, just with the same undercurrents of fear and anger that Bale brought so wonderfully to the screen.

My casting choice: I'd like to see a slightly older Batman. Clark is mid-thirties, I'd like a 40 year old Bruce. I saw Matt Bomer listed in one online article...eh no, too much like Cavill! Batman needs to be a bit more gristly, a bit more primal and not "the big blue boy scout". This is a man who "spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp" but also plays a double-life as the playboy billionaire. Ryan Gosling was an interesting name thrown out there, he was excellent in Drive where he showed he can play the threatening physicality and borderline psychotic personality of Bruce. He is also a heart throb who could be a playboy in his sleep. I think he is just too big a name, you're getting into Schumacher territory where it's more about top billing rather than the movie itself.

I'd really need to watch a lot of movies to find someone who fits it for me, so this might be a bit of an "early draft", but:

Karl Urban - He fits the Justice League Batman perfectly, the silent loner obsessed with justice. Watch Dredd!

John Hamm and Michael Fassbender are also good choices I've seen pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Jon Hamm all the way for me here - I agree that there should be an older visioning to this Bruce Wayne, but not to the extent of the Dark Knight Returns. Whoever they pick will most likely be tied into at least 2-3 pics...so count Man of Steel 2, The JL movie and possibly a Batman on its own...so old Hammy will pushing it on by the end.

One question, I'm not a big comic book fan but I watched the Dark Knight Returns the other day...excellent it was...really, how can we possibly expect there to be a fair contest re Batman and Superman? I know Batman can be portrayed as ultra intelligent and a master detective\strategist but superman is superman...I just can't see how Batman could get the upper hand here...especially in a "real world setting" as Man of Steel was supposed orientated around.

Maybe I am missing something because like I say, I'm not in the know as far as comic books go but regardless I am really looking forward to this movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Especially when in this continuity there doesn't appear to be any kryptonite! Unless Batman can get his hands on a Kryptonian ship with its Kryptonian atmosphere still intact...

I think they really hemmed themselves in with MoS, I was surprised at the Batman/Justice League announcement.

Watch World's Finest too, my brother used to love that and to be honest it's a great way to approach this movie. Dark Knight Returns is a bit more hardcore for Hollywood audiences.

Jon Hamm all the way for me here - I agree that there should be an older visioning to this Bruce Wayne, but not to the extent of the Dark Knight Returns. Whoever they pick will most likely be tied into at least 2-3 pics...so count Man of Steel 2, The JL movie and possibly a Batman on its own...so old Hammy will pushing it on by the end.

One question, I'm not a big comic book fan but I watched the Dark Knight Returns the other day...excellent it was...really, how can we possibly expect there to be a fair contest re Batman and Superman? I know Batman can be portrayed as ultra intelligent and a master detective\strategist but superman is superman...I just can't see how Batman could get the upper hand here...especially in a "real world setting" as Man of Steel was supposed orientated around.

Maybe I am missing something because like I say, I'm not in the know as far as comic books go but regardless I am really looking forward to this movie.

Jon Hamm is only 42 though he's not ancient by any means. Michael Keaton was 39 (i think) when he played Batman. If it did follow on from TDKR, Bruce would be well into his 40s anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm amazed there isn't more people wanting Christian Bale back. The main reason the Avengers was so good, for me at least was that we'd already been able to get familiar with these characters. Casting a new Batman removes that and would dramatically lessen the impact of seeing to 2 together on the big screen.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I'm amazed there isn't more people wanting Christian Bale back.

To bring him back would nullify the entire story arc of Nolan's Bruce Wayne.

It wouldn't make sense, and it just shouldn't be done. That universe should be left untouched, it doesn't need anything else :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

And a lot of people actually did not like his portrayal.
    I specifically never took to that ridiculous Bat-voice.

And a lot of people actually did not like his portrayal.
    I specifically never took to that ridiculous Bat-voice.

It was fine in Begins, ludicrous in the other two though. I don't think Bale should come back either, that trilogy is done, just leave it alone and cast a new Batman.

I think Karl Urban would be a good pick or maybe Richard Armitage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

krudler wrote: »
    It was fine in Begins, ludicrous in the other two though. I don't think Bale should come back either, that trilogy is done, just leave it alone and cast a new Batman.

Aw man, in Begins where he says to Rachel "it is not what we do.... blah blah", it was terrible. Not too bad when scaring the **** outta Flass

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maximoose wrote: »
    To bring him back would nullify the entire story arc of Nolan's Bruce Wayne.

It wouldn't make sense, and it just shouldn't be done. That universe should be left untouched, it doesn't need anything else :)

I see what you mean but I would take another film featuring Bale's Batman over a fresh Batman in a Superman sequel. At the very least we should have a film to introduce the new Batman rather than using the Superman sequel as a launch pad.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Especially when in this continuity there doesn't appear to be any kryptonite! Unless Batman can get his hands on a Kryptonian ship with its Kryptonian atmosphere still intact...

I think the Kryptonian atmosphere scene was an roundabout way to potentially introduce Kryptonite in a later installment.
    Snyder only stated Kryptonite wouldn't be in MoS, who knows about the next movie/movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bale was a phenomenal Batman. People point to 'the voice' but it didn't bug me at all really. As Wayne he was fantastic, the best portrayal of him outside the suit there's been imo.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Bale was a phenomenal Batman. People point to 'the voice' but it didn't bug me at all really. As Wayne he was fantastic, the best portrayal of him outside the suit there's been imo.

Never got the whole problem with the voice myself. Surely, the idea of Batman being a monster would be diminished if he sounds like a debonair billionaire.

Advertisement