Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I really need to pick that one up. Watched the fight sequence with WW and BB and it was amazing.

Having rewatched Batman/Superman: Apocalypse, I have new hope for Darkseid as the villain. If they used WW, Big Barda and The Furies, that could offer an amazing female dynamic that The Avengers doesn't have.

Imagine a JL film helmed by Snyder with battles between Batman/Darkseid, Superman/Darkseid, Wonder Woman/Big Barda, Wonder Woman/The Furies and a big free for all between Supes/Batman/GL/The Flash/WW and Darkseid/The Furies/Big Barda.

That would be a tour de force that any action film would find difficult to contend with, never mind TA2.

I'm surprised they have not included Cyborg. It would have helped gain a wider audience in US.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Definitely not going to get my hopes up for this. Just hope they don't mess up Batman, I care not for much of the others to be honest.

I would prefer them to make a JL film without Bats, or give him a very minor role. Its fine seeing him an animated film with the rest of JL, but I can't see it working in live action.

Would be delighted to be proved wrong, of course.

They won't mess him up but the Batman you will see in a Justice League movie will not be the Batman you are used to seeing in the recent movies. For me believing that these two versions are the same character has always been one of the problems with the DCU.

As for leaving him out of the movie, when you have 3-4 characters at a stretch that non comic fans would recognise, and have two characters that are ingrained in the social conscious around the world, leaving one of them out would be a stupid move.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Rumours Bats won't be in it at all
    Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy may be over, but that does not mean that Batman has been forgotten. Audiences can not get enough of superheroes, and even though Man of Steel arrives in theaters soon, fans are still looking forward to more Batman. Unfortunately, fans will not be seeing the Caped Crusader in the highly anticipated Justice League movie in 2015. According to Batman-on-Film, DC is not planning to have Bruce Wayne appear on screen again until 2017!

This is still technically a rumor, and no official announcement has been made from Warner Bros. The studio may be trying to give Superman a chance to dominate the box office for a few years, or they could be focusing efforts on an animated Batman. I can see the point in not wanting to have Batman back on the big screen so soon after The Dark Knight Rises, but if there is enough fan interest anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/news/a453271/batman-movie-reboot-for-2017-release-date.html

Says
    Warner Bros is expected to introduce its next on-screen incarnation of the Caped Crusader in 2015's Justice League, which has been tipped to serve as a launch vehicle for a slate of solo movies.

I can't see Batman been left out but its going to take Batman in an interesting direction for the next decade of so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

It's messy, but I'd rather see the next Batman solo outing have to wait than have one rushed for the sake of getting it out before Justice League.

As for leaving him out of Justice League, not sure about this, I think he and Supes are needed to sell it to a general audience. Otherwise it will just come across as 'Superman & Friends'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'd suspect that a justice league film wouldn't work half as well without Batman and Supes being completely at odds with each other in terms of their ideals and leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

maximoose wrote: »

TBH I can only see that as the way forward, anytging else will just not attract the audience, Warner Bros would be mad not to beg Bale to Reprise the role

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd rather they just recast someone else as Bruce/Bats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

This would be a very clever move on the part of WB - would be as close a guarantee of a box office smash as they could get.

i already loved the look of man of steel, throw a teaser of bale into the mix and the prospect of a movie together and im putty in your hands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'll believe it when I see the trailer. Would be great but I just can't see it happening.

This would be a very clever move on the part of WB - would be as close a guarantee of a box office smash as they could get.

i already loved the look of man of steel, throw a teaser of bale into the mix and the prospect of a movie together and im putty in your hands

Exactlt! If someone else was cast as bats I doubt there would be much putty floating about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Does this mean Ryan Reynolds is going to continue as Green Lantern?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh lord, my first instinct is to casually dismiss this as mere tattle and overactive fanboy imagination, because if it were true it would effectively undermine all the arcs, journeys and themes of the batman trilogy.

Whatever about the ins and outs of just how "realistic" they were, the batman films were self-contained in a world without magic and the fantastic. If suddenly it turns out that Supes, Zod and the rest of the gang were knocking around all this time, I think it cheapens a lot of what happened to Gotham city, to the point where it all becomes a little meaningless. The battle for Gothams soul doesn't add up to much if superman could have saved them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Looking at the trailers for man of steel it looks as though superman has to hide his powers because the world has not seen anything like it before so that could suggest that it is set in a similar universe to batman.

Superman could only beginning now while batman has retired. That would explain why superman wasn't around to save Gotham.

Maybe at the end of man of steel we will see zod retreating and vowing to return to defeat superman, Bruce would be aware of this and this might force him out of retirement and the formation of the justice league

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looking at the trailers for man of steel it looks as though superman has to hide his powers because the world has not seen anything like it before so that could suggest that it is set in a similar universe to batman.

Superman could only beginning now while batman has retired. That would explain why superman wasn't around to save Gotham.

Maybe at the end of man of steel we will see zod retreating and vowing to return to defeat superman, Bruce would be aware of this and this might force him out of retirement and the formation of the justice league

Perhaps, I guess we'll know more about Supermans world soon enough, but even the potentiality of magic and fantasy in batmans world (which, let's be honest, is what Superman is all about) undercuts a lot of what happened in Gotham.

I always saw the Dark Knight films as crime epics more than superhero films - Heat with capes almost - and it potentially undermines Bruces struggle if ultimately a bit of convenient hoodoo could have saved the day instead of hardship and toil.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »

Perhaps, I guess we'll know more about Supermans world soon enough, but even the potentiality of magic and fantasy in batmans world (which, let's be honest, is what Superman is all about) undercuts a lot of what happened in Gotham.

I always saw the Dark Knight films as crime epics more than superhero films - Heat with capes almost - and it potentially undermines Bruces struggle if ultimately a bit of convenient hoodoo could have saved the day instead of hardship and toil.

Even setting aside the fantasy/sci-fi aspects it would completely undermine the ending and Bruce's character arch over the course of the trilogy.

I'm calling bs on the rumour for that reason alone.

I just hope Nolan is not responsible for casting WW, he would probably pick Maggie Gyllenhaal LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

In fairness he hired some fine wimmin for TDKR. :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

True enough LOL. But I still laugh everytime I see that scene with the Joker calling her beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Oh lord, my first instinct is to casually dismiss this as mere tattle and overactive fanboy imagination, because if it were true it would effectively undermine all the arcs, journeys and themes of the batman trilogy.

Whatever about the ins and outs of just how "realistic" they were, the batman films were self-contained in a world without magic and the fantastic. If suddenly it turns out that Supes, Zod and the rest of the gang were knocking around all this time, I think it cheapens a lot of what happened to Gotham city, to the point where it all becomes a little meaningless. The battle for Gothams soul doesn't add up to much if superman could have saved them

A man jumping off roofs on wings of malleable fabric, fighting villains with pain-killer facemasks, ninja armies and fear-gas isn't fantastic!?
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Even setting aside the fantasy/sci-fi aspects it would completely undermine the ending and Bruce's character arch over the course of the trilogy.

I'm calling bs on the rumour for that reason alone.

It might... Or it might prove what us nerds know to be a bigger truth; Bruce Wayne could never really leave Batman behind. ;)

A man jumping off roofs on wings of malleable fabric, fighting villains with pain-killer facemasks, ninja armies and fear-gas isn't fantastic!?

Compared with Superman? Yeah, pretty much. Like I said, whatever the arguments about how 'real' Batman was, Superman and his ilk are leaps and bounds above that level. There are grades of reality in these sort of things and Superman would be the thin end of the wedge here - you're opening a door that flies in the face of what has been established.

This argument was done to death in all three Batman threads, but most of the trilogy's tech was either the kind of heightened reality / physics that exists in 99% of blockbuster cinema anyway, so not sure why people got upset about Batmans - car doors don't shield bullets, barrels don't explode when shot, space isn't noisy etc. etc. - or just technologies exaggerated from real concepts or theories. 'Science of tomorrow' sort of thing; hell we're running around with tech in our pockets that would make the 1980s blush.

Nolan was fairly careful to make sure most of the ideas fit within the confines of the world he set it all in. If they suddenly turned around and said "well actually, magic exists. So too aliens with superpowers", suspension of disbelief goes out the window imo.

So to me, a guy wearing a gasmask, amped up on painkillers is infinitely more believable than a super powered alien with laser-beam eyes. It shouldn't really need saying tbh :) And considering most of Hollywood can't portray the humble PC without presenting it as some ever-bleeping box of magic tricks, Batman was as realistic a blockbuster as you're ever likely to get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Compared with Superman? Yeah, pretty much. Like I said, whatever the arguments about how 'real' Batman was, Superman and his ilk are leaps and bounds above that level. There are grades of reality in these sort of things and Superman would be the thin end of the wedge here - you're opening a door that flies in the face of what has been established.
    Nolan was fairly careful to make sure most of the ideas fit within the confines of the world he set it all in. If they suddenly turned around and said "well actually, magic exists. So too aliens with superpowers", suspension of disbelief goes out the window imo.

I would argue this tbh. It's never actively established in any part of the trilogy that the wider DC universe doesn't exist/isn't a possibility. Same with the Burton Batmans etc. Not referred to, certainly. But never explicitly stated, and that gives room for it to be brought in. Also, I'm not arguing that Superman is more of a stretch of the imagination but to say that Nolan's trilogy exists without being fantastic is a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Nolans Batman is on par with 007 movies in terms of realism - while not in any way realistic, they're in a grounded 'present day' universe.

Having people with superpowers pop into the current Batman universe makes as much sense to me as the same appearing in a bond movie.

Only reason I call BS on it is that it would surely conflict with any new standalone Batman movies - can't see Bale staring in the new Batman trilogy being made after JL.

I would argue this tbh. It's never actively established in any part of the trilogy that the wider DC universe doesn't exist/isn't a possibility. Same with the Burton Batmans etc. Not referred to, certainly. But never explicitly stated, and that gives room for it to be brought in. Also, I'm not arguing that Superman is more of a stretch of the imagination but to say that Nolan's trilogy exists without being fantastic is a stretch.

Well 'fantastic' purely in the sense of something containing fantasy - ie, magic, mysticism, flying superheroes; not in the sense of how easily or otherwise you're able to forgive a little speculative science-fiction :) I think the Bond comparison above works well to describe what the new trilogy is, realism-wise

As for the DC universe links, I think it's sufficiently established by the implied trajectory of the 3 films & the manner in which they were adapted from the comics. Everything was downplayed and dialed right back from their comic equivalents - the villains, Bane in particular, were a good example of this - and the absence of the more outlandish creatures such as Killer Croc or Clayface made it fairly clear we weren't watching a world of superhumans.

And I hope it stays that way - Nolans Batman showed you don't have to indulge in the more fanciful comic stylings to stay true to its story; it'd be a shame if all that deliberate work was negated by a man in red underpants flying around the world this particular Gotham exists in :)

; it'd be a shame if all that deliberate work was negated by a man in red underpants flying around the world this particular Gotham exists in :)

It's ok, the pants are gone so I think it will work :pac:

I suppose the closest thing that springs to mind is the Iron Man movies, I remember quit a few posters on here saying there's no way they could see Thor et al. fitting into the film universe of Iron Man but it worked fine. The main difference for me though is the existence of the wider Marvel universe was implied in those films from the get-go even if there was nothing explicitly "magical" in Iron Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Superman could be introduced to the Nolan Batman universe like another poster has said. You could show in the upcoming film that Superman only decided to show his powers after TDKR. So up to then anyone like him was unknown in that world.

Would be a bit more difficult getting Green Lantern to fit in though as from what I barely remember from that forgettable film he was a bit more public and news should have gotten around about him.

I think a Batman & Superman film could work though, and maybe they discover more minor characters along the way. Personally I'd love to see a Flash film.

• Advertisement

Regarding the idea that Nolan's Batman universe is somewhat 'fantastical' I think everyone agrees that considering Batman is a superhero!!!

Nolan's version is the closest to 'real' as we are going to get!!!

Advertisement