Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    Vanity Fair has a write-up about where his inclusion figures: looks like it'll be the
    dream sequence where Batman has visions of the apocalypse

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/02/jared-leto-joker-justice-league-zack-snyder

That's ... a bit much.

Hasn't Batman already had visions of the apocalypse in BvS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭techdiver

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Hasn't Batman already had visions of the apocalypse in BvS?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭ThePott

Seriously? That's so dumb. I assumed we were actually going to get
    Knightmare Reality, it's all just a dream again? How many of those did we have already in BvS. Does he just have these visual ideas that he doesn't know how to fit into a film coherently?
    Seems pretty ridiculous tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This really does increasingly look to be an answer to the question as to what a Zack Synder movie would look like, utterly unencumbered by studio expectations or pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

why did he not look like that in suicide squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Apparently Ayer was into his South LA craichead kitsch and that's where his Joker look came from. Now that would have been a good example of when a Studio should step in. I'm glad Snyder is somewhat correcting that on behalf of him.
    As for this new dream sequence, I don't see it being problematic. I assume it will be the opener with Bruce as he continues to be tortured by Superman's death. [/spoiler[

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Charisma comes out in support of Fisher.

Charisma Carpenter Details Buffy/ Angel Boss Joss Whedon's Allegedly 'Toxic' and 'Hostile' Misconduct: 'I Can No Longer Remain Silent'
    For nearly two decades, I have held my tongue and even made excuses for certain events that traumatize me to this day.
    Joss Whedon abused his power on numerous occasions while working on the sets of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. While he found his misconduct amusing, it only served to intensify my performance anxiety, disempower me, and alienate me from my peers. The disturbing incidents triggered a chronic physical condition from which I still suffer. It is with a beating, heavy heart that I say I coped in isolation and, at times, destructively.
    Last summer, when Ray Fisher publicly accused Joss of abusive and unprofessional behavior toward the cast and crew during reshoots on the Justice League set in 2017, it gutted me. Joss has a history of being casually cruel. He has created hostile and toxic work environments since his early career. I know because I experienced it first-hand. Repeatedly.
    Like his ongoing, passive-aggressive threats to fire me, which wreaks havoc on a young actor’s self-esteem. And callously calling me ‘fat’ to colleagues when I was four months pregnant, weighing 126 lbs. He was mean and biting, disparaging about others openly, and often played favorites, putting people against one another to compete and vie for his attention and approval.
    He called me in for a sit-down meeting to interrogate and berate me regarding a rosary tattoo I got to help me feel more spiritually grounded in an increasingly volatile work climate that affected me physically.
    Joss intentionally refused multiple calls form my agents making it impossible to connect with him to tell him the news that I was pregnant. Finally, once Joss was apprised of the situation, he requested a meeting with me. In that closed-door meeting, he asked me if I was ‘going to keep it’ and manipulatively weaponized my womanhood and faith against me. He proceeded to attack my character, mock my religious beliefs, accuse me of sabotaging the show, and then unceremoniously fired me the following season once I gave birth.
    At six months pregnant, I was asked to report to work at 1 am after my doctor recommended shortening my work hours. Our to long and physically demanding days and the emotional stress of having to defend my needs as a working pregnant woman, I began to experience Braxton Hicks contractions. It was clear to me that 1 am call was retaliatory.
    Back then, I felt powerless and alone. With norther option, I swallowed the mistreatment and carried on. After all, I had a baby on the way, and I was the primary breadwinner of my growing family. Unfortunately, all this was happening during one of the most wonderful time in new motherhood. All that promise and joy sucked right out. And Joss was the vampire.
    Despite the harassment, a part of me still sought his validation. I made excuses for his behavior and repressed my own pain. I have even stated publicly at conventions that I’d work with him again. Only recently, after years of therapy and a wake-up call from the Time’s Up movement, do I understand the complexities of this demoralized thinking. It is impossible to understand the psyche without enduring the abuse. Our society and industry vilify the victims and glorify the abusers for their accomplishments. The onus is on the abused with an expectation to accept and adapt to be employable. No accountability on the transgressor who sails on unscathed. Unrepentant. Remorseless.
    These memories and more have weighed on my soul like bricks for nearly half of my life. I wish I said something sooner. I wish I had the composure and courage all those years ago. But I muted myself in shame and conditioned silence.
    With tears welling, I feel an overwhelming sense of responsibility to Ray and others for remaining private about my experience with Joss and the suffering it has caused me. It is abundantly evident that Joss has persisted in his harmful actions, continuing to create wreckage in his wake. My hope now, by finally coming forward about these experiences, is to create space for the healing of others who I know have experienced similar serialized abused of power.
    Recently, I participated in WarnerMedia’s Justice League investigation because I believe Ray to be a person of integrity who is telling the truth. His firing as Cyborg in The Flash was the last straw for me. Although I am not shocked, I am deeply pained by it. It troubles and saddens me that in 2021 professionals STILL have to choose between whistleblowing in the workplace and job security.
    It has taken me so long to muster the courage to make this statement publicly. The gravity of it is not lost on me. As a single mother whose family’s livelihood is dependent on my craft, I’m scared. Despite my dear about its impact on my future, I can no longer remain silent. This is overdue and necessary. It is time

https://tvline.com/2021/02/10/charisma-carpenter-joss-whedon-toxic-hostile-abuse-allegations/

Well done to Carpenter, Whedon really does come across as a little man hiding behind empowerment.

I'd love it if Sarah Michelle Gellar or Alyson Hannigan backed her up but not holding my breath.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had heard those stories of Carpenter before, so good it's getting more exposure; do still find myself wondering what it was that Fisher endured. Carpenter's own was clearcut misogyny she was quite open about, as opposed to the various winks and nods of Fisher. My inner rubbernecker can't help be curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭ThePott

I think Carpenter being fired for being pregnant is well documented but horrifying to hear it confirmed and how it played out.
    From what I remember Sarah Michelle Gellar had plenty of headbutting with Joss Whedon on Buffy, I do wish Ray Fisher would give more detail on his issues though. As much as it's easy to believe Whedon treated him wrongly he continues to throw blame at everyone while not going into detail.

Well done to Carpenter, Whedon really does come across as a little man hiding behind empowerment.

I'd love it if Sarah Michelle Gellar or Alyson Hannigan backed her up but not holding my breath.

Gellar had a pretty poor relationship with Whedon from what I gather. Hannigan made him the godfather of her child. Apparently he had weird cliques in the cast. So wouldn't rule out something from SMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Sarah Michelle Gellar

biVp44U.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭techdiver

Wonder will WB come under renewed pressure now considering they pretty much swept Fishers complaints under the carpet and then basically fired him.

Whedon sounds like your typical bully. I bet he didn't dare throw any abuse at the more established stars like Affleck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Michelle Trachtenberg

6WxUh8h.jpg

techdiver wrote: »
    Wonder will WB come under renewed pressure now considering they pretty much swept Fishers complaints under the carpet and then basically fired him.

Whedon sounds like your typical bully. I bet he didn't dare throw any abuse at the more established stars like Affleck.
    From what I've read he berated both Affleck and Fisher publicly on set when they showed resistance to some of the changes Whedon was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Would be curious to hear from Eliza Dushku since she went back to do Dollhouse.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Would be curious to hear from Eliza Dushku since she went back to do Dollhouse.

Very much a woman who isn't afraid to speak out about the abuse she has received in Hollywood.

Just to say as well that Eliza working with him multiple times doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that for an actress back then you would take what you could get, especially if the person you were working for had a talented rep.

Michelle Trachtenberg has come out with some disturbing comments also. Merely implying but she was a teenager, aged 15, when cast in Buffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

pixelburp wrote: »
    I had heard those stories of Carpenter before, so good it's getting more exposure; do still find myself wondering what it was that Fisher endured. Carpenter's own was clearcut misogyny she was quite open about, as opposed to the various winks and nods of Fisher. My inner rubbernecker can't help be curious.

Carpenter spoke about this at Dublin Comic Con in 2019 and pretty much said exactly what she said in her statement today, and even at that stage it was only confirming what people already knew. Good to see she now feels confident enough to speak about it on a larger platform, glad to see it's getting exposure and that others who have worked with him are also speaking up.

And yes, the rubberneck in me is also curious what exactly what went on on the Justice League set with Fisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

I wonder will any of the marvel crew speak out.

brevity wrote: »
    I wonder will any of the marvel crew speak out.

I’d be interested to see what the cast of Firefly have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I really hope the Snyder cut is good, received well and reinvigorates his play on superhero’s. I’d like to see more Cavill as superman and I actually enjoy his take on the genre.

I also worry If it’s bad we get more marvel light cookie cutter movies like Aquaman , Shazam and WW.

Carpenter spoke about this at Dublin Comic Con in 2019 and pretty much said exactly what she said in her statement today, and even at that stage it was only confirming what people already knew. Good to see she now feels confident enough to speak about it on a larger platform, glad to see it's getting exposure and that others who have worked with him are also speaking up.

And yes, the rubberneck in me is also curious what exactly what went on on the Justice League set with Fisher.

At this stage, I'm left wondering if Fisher has bitten off more than he can chew? That he had a small scuffle with Whedon, cried foul, throwing his toys out of the pram, and it's just coincidence that it turns out Whedon was a toxic figure anyway. Cos at this stage he's the only one refusing to share his details, which looks odd when folks like Carpenter are upfront about their own experience.

Fisher has given off an air of the Prima Donna - and he wouldn't be the first actor to find superhero blockbusters torture to work on to be fair - and has perhaps overinflated his own suffering. Sunk Cost then dictates he just tries to keep on keeping on. Total speculative drivel on my part, but his silence throughout has been ... curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I’d be interested to see what the cast of Firefly have to say.

Anything from Jewel, Summer or Gina yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anything from Jewel, Summer or Gina yet?
    I had a quick look on Twitter. Glau hasn't posted on it in 5 years (maybe has Instagram or something?). The other two are active on twitter but haven't said anything relevant in the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

mikhail wrote: »
    I had a quick look on Twitter. Glau hasn't posted on it in 5 years (maybe has Instagram or something?). The other two are active on twitter but haven't said anything relevant in the past few days.

Gina seems she would be formidable speaking up

I doubt Joss Whedon will work successfully on big projects again

• Advertisement

The full trailer is out on February 14th.

Advertisement