Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers: Age of Ultron [** SPOILERS FROM POST 599 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

irishmover wrote: »
    Only quarrel with the movie was that we had barely seen what quicksilver could do and he was killed off.

Ludicrous IMO. Why introduce a second generation avenger and then just kill them off? Which raises the thought that maybe he isn't dead and will feature in future X-Men or avenger movies?
    well hes still alive in the x-men universe, quicksilver is a character that both marvel and fox have access to, so their both played by different people, a quicksilver at full power would cause to many inconsistencies to the storyline, his powers would rectify to many issues,

• Registered Users Posts: 45,186 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Only quarrel with the movie was that we had barely seen what quicksilver could do and he was killed off.

Ludicrous IMO. Why introduce a second generation avenger and then just kill them off? Which raises the thought that maybe he isn't dead and will feature in future X-Men or avenger movies?

I would assume he is dead, in that he wasn't seen at the end of the movie. The epilogue takes place a bit after the battle, and there is no sign or mention of him. If he was alive we'd have heard something. I would also assume hydra don't have him because hawkeye was with him on the boat.

I reckon he was killed for two reasons. 1. to further the Scarlet Witch character. 2. to kill an avenger, without having to kill and Avenger. Cheap, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I would assume he is dead, in that he wasn't seen at the end of the movie. The epilogue takes place a bit after the battle, and there is no sign or mention of him. If he was alive we'd have heard something. I would also assume hydra don't have him because hawkeye was with him on the boat.

I reckon he was killed for two reasons. 1. to further the Scarlet Witch character. 2. to kill an avenger, without having to kill and Avenger. Cheap, imo.

I'd say youre right and that annoys me. Quicksilver isn't a low profile character either. I enjoyed the comics and cartoon. Could have been an interesting character in the avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Quick search just told me that there will be a Quicksilver in next X-Men but it won't be Aaron Taylor Johnson (who I quite like as an actor)

Evan Peters played Quicksilver in DoFP for the X-Men Movieverse. There was a deleted scene mentioning his twin but was cut. Wanda will probably appear there aswell. They are totally different.

don ramo wrote: »
    yeah the twins werent born with powers, they were lab experiments, so there is gonna be inconsistencies in their powers, think how much food he would have to consume to keep that up, hes still human, if anything that fact he was so muscular seemed more out place than the speed issues,

we seen even at the end scralett witch was being trained as an avenger, to develope her powers more and gain better control over them and make he more powerful, hell even vison was getting trained

Quicksilver absorbs more nutrients from food than an average human to gain his speed (like twice as much?). He also stores the excess energy and can then replenish any energy used at a much faster rate. But I suppose thats the mutant Quicksilver that had it in his gentics. This is a "imhuman-esque" version so I suppose there can be fluctuations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,186 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd say youre right and that annoys me. Quicksilver isn't a low profile character either. I enjoyed the comics and cartoon. Could have been an interesting character in the avengers.

what annoyed me more was that it amounted to Ultron killing an avenger for no reason. he gets pumeled by Hilk, then Scarlet Witch a few moments later, then killed by Vision. Ultron doesn't become any mroe dangers or menacing as a result - in fact it was comical they way he flew around shooting at things, laughable. It really only serves Scarlet Witch - but it wasn't shield who killed him and it is really her who was responsible (allowingn Tony to take the septre and giving him the vision) so i can't see a logical 'heel turn' for her based on this.

what annoyed me more was that it amounted to Ultron killing an avenger for no reason. he gets pumeled by Hilk, then Scarlet Witch a few moments later, then killed by Vision. Ultron doesn't become any mroe dangers or menacing as a result - in fact it was comical they way he flew around shooting at things, laughable. It really only serves Scarlet Witch - but it wasn't shield who killed him and it is really her who was responsible (allowingn Tony to take the septre and giving him the vision) so i can't see a logical 'heel turn' for her based on this.

End of the day Pietro died to save an Avenger. If he believed there cause was worth giving his life for Wanda will then support and join them after his sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The entire film was signposting Hawkeye's death. He says in the first few minutes of the film that he's going to live forever. He has a wife and family. He gives Scarlet Witch a speech about what it is to be an Avenger. He talks about how he just has to finish one more home improvement project. He's on the people carrier about to leave, sees the kid still in the city, and realises he will likely die if he goes.

But he still goes. He's staring down death, and uses his body to protect the child.

Quicksilver sees this, and tries to save him. I don't think Quicksilver knew he was sacrificing himself by doing so, but knew it was a possibility. But Quicksilver is ultimately heroic by his very nature. They were only on the side of evil because they thought Stark was the enemy.

Quicksilver was simply trying to save Hawkeye and the kid. He saw Hawkeye willing to give up his life to save the child and knew he was the only one who might be able to protect them both. And he was also shot earlier in the film in the arm, so it's not completely out of left field that there's a limit to his abilities.

I thought it was fairly well done. Wasn't expecting it, but I have no issues with how or why it was done. It made sense within the story and the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I presume hydra also did a bit of brainwashing on the twins. Sure they wanted to get revenge on Stark but why the avengers as a whole? They protect the whole planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DragonBourne

super flick!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I saw this on Saturday in the Cineworld IMAX. Before I saw it, I watched my (few) Marvel Cinematic movies as preparation.

They were Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers. They were all good. Incredible Hulk was weaker than I remembered, there was a bit of a pacing issue but Norton's performance was top notch.

Captain America: The First Avenger is really underrated. The Avengers is really good but Whedon doesn't write Captain America very well. There's a huge difference in characterization which can be a bit jarring as I watched them back to back.

Now here's the thing. I watched Age of Ultron and it's a much stronger movie than The Avengers. There's a lot more depth to the characters and 'who they are' when they're not being Avengers is a lot more clearer.

There were a few downsides. The Banner/Romanov romance was awful. There wasn't a genuine connection between them. It definitely felt shoehorned in. I'm not really a fan of Ruffalo's Banner as it is, but this did not work for me at all. The language joke went on a little too long too.

The positive though include Spader's spellbinding performance as Ultron. He's menacing because he's not quite human. That jarring note of something that is almost right but not quite. Bettany is always good and it seems like he is going to make The Vision more interesting than his comic book version. I'm looking forward to that.

I was only aware of Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen by reputation but they really pulled it off as Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. It was a shame they killed him off. But if Coulson can come back...who knows!

For me, Age Of Ultron hit all the right beats and is better than the Avengers. if they can keep (or improve!) the quality then the MCU is going to continue to be a success!

Was I the only one who saw Widow/Banner romance coming? They had a bunch of little moments in the first film. Well, maybe I wouldn't go so far as to say I saw it coming, but it definitely didn't surprise me and didn't feel at all out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Bad Horse wrote: »
    Was I the only one who saw Widow/Banner romance coming? They had a bunch of little moments in the first film. Well, maybe I wouldn't go so far as to say I saw it coming, but it definitely didn't surprise me and didn't feel at all out of place.

Hulk-Black-Widow-Avengers.jpg

:D

I was thinking more along the lines of their initial conversation and the "I've seen worse" "Sorry" "No, we could use a little worse..."

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

youngblood wrote: »
    Might post more later-In general

Doesnt disappoint on the whole - agreed
    Sets lots/all movies up for the next while - probably spent more time than it should setting them up
    Excellent pacing-nothing drags found the Hawkeye family scene to be a downer
    A little too humorous at times (needs a better balance) brought the tone/edge right down at big parts and wasn't natural, seemed like it was there as "the first was funny, we're to get the jokes in here too"
    Special Effects excellent ie (not greatly noticeable after the initial dodgy opening sequence) As with all 3D movies I'm toggling the glasses on and off at the start, thought it was just my eyes adjusting but seen others comment on the opening scene's CGI
    Would see it again definitely
    Avoid 3d viewing if possible yes, I wanted 2D but times didn't suit me last Friday

Haven't read through all the reviews but same points keep coming up and bolded my thoughts in the quote above who seems to hit the major ones

Just adding too much characters getting unnecessary lines make it a bit clustered. I enjoyed the final scene. No post credits scene because they said they couldn't top "schwarma" but they include a crap mid credit one!?

Something that kind of bothered me is Quicksilver being in X-Men: Days of Future Past. So there's essentially two variations of the same character happening right now in movie format.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Quicksilver actually Magneto's son?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Yes and Scarlet witch is his daughter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

Something that kind of bothered me is Quicksilver being in X-Men: Days of Future Past. So there's essentially two variations of the same character happening right now in movie format.

Yup, there's a joke about in X-men too. Tbh I'm really glad X-Men is its own franchise. They stand on their own really well and would be dragged down by tie-in rubbish. They've a host of great characters, both heroes, villians and people in between. I'll not mourn Quicksilver as I consider the X-Men features canon as far as the mutie stuff goes. I can't wait for Apocalypse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Yeah but what's really wrong with that? Surely its easy to disconnect the two in your mind...?

Well when I saw him my first thought was, "he looks young for someone that was in their late teens in the 70s".

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,172 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well when I saw him my first thought was, "he looks young for someone that was in their late teens in the 70s".

How will you manage with flash being different to the tv show when Batman vs Superman comes out or when the new third Spider-Man to be in high school in 15 years appears? :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

They wasted Ultron. Thought the final battle would have been more epic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Was anyone else disappointed we didn't get an agent coulson cameo.

Loughc wrote: »
    Was anyone else disappointed we didn't get an agent coulson cameo.

I read somewhere a few months ago that he won't be appearing in any more films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Don't the Avengers still think he's dead?

It seems so unless Nick Fury told them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Okay, it's been a while since I've seen The Incredible Hulk but Betty Ross is still alive isn't she? Why wasn't there more angst about betraying her?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

flazio wrote: »
    Okay, it's been a while since I've seen The Incredible Hulk but Betty Ross is still alive isn't she? Why wasn't there more angst about betraying her?

I was thinking the same thing. Although the film is still technically part of the universe, they seem to be constantly ignoring it from what I can see. And I'm not sure why, as it wasn't close to the worst offering from the MCU. Very underrated in my opinion. But it seems to get completely blanked and left out by the powers that be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

went to see it last night , Avengers was good But Meh

Marvel Fatigue has set in . Pretty much all the movies have the same sequence of events now. Action opening sequence follow by calm before big bad is introduced , first confrontation , Team Falls, Team building , Final confrontation , What next , Credits< insert teaser here>

I know this can be said for a lot of films but , It has be come Rinse Repeat with the.

Winter Soldier was the last Marvel film I enjoyed . Guardians Not so much , Age of Ultron was the same for me as Guardians . Good in some places just doesn't work very well as whole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

I saw it on Monday night. It was enjoyable enough but not as good as the first one, and not nearly as good as Guardians of the Galaxy imo. The first 20 mins were kinda meh but it got going after Ultron came into the picture. James Spader was the best thing about the movie. As a side note, the worst thing about "superhero movie fatigue" is reading about it on every second page on the web imo. (not referring to anyone in particular, just in general) For God's sake, if you are suffering from this debilitating condition please don't watch anymore Superhero movies. It will better for all of us.

Advertisement