Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers: Age of Ultron [** SPOILERS FROM POST 599 ONWARD **]

Options
1293031323335»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Foxtrol wrote: »
    You could say that about most of the Marvel movies, nearly all setup/lead into the next. AOU clearly had a third act which closed off the Ultron storyline. The obvious flow from one movie to the next is just becoming more apparent now for the characters that have been around since phase 1 and I can only see it ramping up further in the lead up to Infinity Wars. I can say you’ll likely feel the exact same about the end of Civil War too so get yourself prepared.

Well I wouldn't presume to know what I feel about a movie that hasn't come out yet; it's all well and good to talk about Marvel's grand plan for this super-narrative they got going on, but frankly it's frustrating that a film addresses some decent character beats only to jettison them because it's time to wreck a city (Oh, we did that in the first film? Hmmm, but what if it was flying!) And to introduce a new character, only to then immediately kill them off is about as thrilling as Redshirt Death #435. It's a massive cheat & sidestep from putting characters in any kind of peril.

It's ok to not be in love with every film Marvel comes out with, and to be disappointed that the good work they did in Avengers 1 got abandoned, or at least put on the back-burner, for the sequel. The first half hour of Avengers 2? I enjoyed it, the first battle was completely OTT but the scale was just right and did a good job establishing the new status quo. The Banner / Stark drama had lots of potential. The back half though was just dull and pointless, and there gets a point where just saying 'oh well it'll all come together in the future films' becomes tedious, because there's a point where being a constant cocktease ain't charming anymore. All build-up, no pay-off.

And while on balance the movies are now all tied into each other, the earlier films definitely had stronger character-based hearts, with each of the Avengers having distinct emotional journeys. Throw in Cap America 2 as well, before, yet again, it was union-mandated that a city be wrecked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Don't agree with that at all, there's not a single marvel film regardless of quality that doesn't have a complete story arch. They set stuff up for future films like a series has to but that stuff is never the main focus of the story of each individual film.

While they have individual arcs, they almost always feel light, familiar and insubstantial. Age of Ultron was, as far as I'm concerned, the single worst example of franchise wheel spinning so far from Marvel. Stuff like Thor in the cave was the most grievous example, but the film spent too much time establishing the next six or seven films while doing itself a disservice in the process. I've argued it before, but I don't think I've ever seen a film that so determinedly ignored its own inherent themes and conflicts, the things that could potentially have made it rather more substantial than just another generic 'Avengers vs the bad guy' story combined with copious amounts of setup and brand awareness for Civil War, Infinity Wars and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Kev W wrote: »
    Except in AOU the city did get destroyed. Also one of the characters died.
    One of the characters died (be it a new one) which I think counts for enough danger.
    The city was damaged, they made a long tedious point of showing everyone was saved.

When I say none of the characters were in danger I didnt mean a one dimensional character they shoehorned in just for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

They can't really say to the baddie "Actually, would you mind awfully if we move this battle to a less densely populated area, there's a good chap?"

But the baddie didn't write the movie. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

The only part of the movie where he was out of control was when Scarlet Witch had gotten inside his head. For the rest of the movie, he was very much able to, to quote from The Incredible Hulk, "not control it, but maybe direct it." In the opening and closing battles, Hulk was aware of who he, his teammates and the civilians were and who he needed to smash. They were very distinct to him. After he was finished smashing and had nowhere to direct his rage, he paced back and forth kicking things until his lullaby. I thought it was all really well done.

But he was able to do this in the first film also was more my point, but he seemed to be more fleshed out in the first one.

I agree with you though, he was much more in control that in the previous non-avengers films.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

You could say that about most of the Marvel movies, nearly all setup/lead into the next. AOU clearly had a third act which closed off the Ultron storyline. The obvious flow from one movie to the next is just becoming more apparent now for the characters that have been around since phase 1 and I can only see it ramping up further in the lead up to Infinity Wars. I can say you’ll likely feel the exact same about the end of Civil War too so get yourself prepared.

You can bet your left nut that the Civil was story line is going to show the obvious cracks in the team which had started to show here. Simple things like Tony wanting to protect the world and feeling accountable for this, and Cap feeling like he needs to keep on fighting and that he inst happy unless he has a war.

You can see the set up though for avengers 3 a mile off, they will all hate each other and all that, then Thanos arrives at the very end to give the "Dr. Manhattan" level threat that will re-unite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

meant to say i think theres an out in the film to bring ultron back down the road should they want.

was watching it on DVD and im pretty sure theres at least one of his bods that didnt get nixed.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Thargor wrote: »
    The city was damaged, they made a long tedious point of showing everyone was saved.

When I say none of the characters were in danger I didnt mean a one dimensional character they shoehorned in just for that purpose.

The city wasn't damaged, it was completely destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't presume to know what I feel about a movie that hasn't come out yet; it's all well and good to talk about Marvel's grand plan for this super-narrative they got going on, but frankly it's frustrating that a film addresses some decent character beats only to jettison them because it's time to wreck a city (Oh, we did that in the first film? Hmmm, but what if it was flying!) And to introduce a new character, only to then immediately kill them off is about as thrilling as Redshirt Death #435. It's a massive cheat & sidestep from putting characters in any kind of peril.

It's ok to not be in love with every film Marvel comes out with, and to be disappointed that the good work they did in Avengers 1 got abandoned, or at least put on the back-burner, for the sequel. The first half hour of Avengers 2? I enjoyed it, the first battle was completely OTT but the scale was just right and did a good job establishing the new status quo. The Banner / Stark drama had lots of potential. The back half though was just dull and pointless, and there gets a point where just saying 'oh well it'll all come together in the future films' becomes tedious, because there's a point where being a constant cocktease ain't charming anymore. All build-up, no pay-off.

And while on balance the movies are now all tied into each other, the earlier films definitely had stronger character-based hearts, with each of the Avengers having distinct emotional journeys. Throw in Cap America 2 as well, before, yet again, it was union-mandated that a city be wrecked.

The character beats aren’t jettisoned though; they’re still there and will come to the fore down the road.

If you don’t like the cocktease then you better find a different girl as this is what Marvel do. They’re in totally uncharted waters as far as filmmaking/media go and some who want payoffs and closure just wont like crossover movies. I’m happy to see things build until the Infinity War and at that point if there isn’t some kind of closure to the story arc then I’ll join you in complaining, until then I’m going to sit back and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Alot of the guys saying DC does interesting **** ......You do realise they're just starting down the same road Marvel started in 2008

Like in Batman vs Superman you're going to have Aquaman and Wonder Woman too and soon to be joined by Cyborg, Green Lantern and who ever else in the Justice League and im sure the way those characters are built there's alot of City Destroying ahead in that particular World aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Alot of the guys saying DC does interesting **** ......You do realise they're just starting down the same road Marvel started in 2008

Like in Batman vs Superman you're going to have Aquaman and Wonder Woman too and soon to be joined by Cyborg, Green Lantern and who ever else in the Justice League and im sure the way those characters are built there's alot of City Destroying ahead in that particular World aswell

The attempts to compare DC are quite annoying, especially when the focus of how different their products are is normally centered on the Nolan trilogy which has nothing to do with the current DC universe/direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Couldn't agree more I hate the comparison stuff and the whole Marvel vs DC that comic fans take on , for **** sake we can enjoy both for there differences

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Except in AOU the city did get destroyed. Also one of the characters died.

Pietro wasnt exactly significant. His MCU screentime is about 23mins. Hawkeye would have been a more significant and suprising blow. Pietro was a safe death.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,244 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Pietro wasnt exactly significant. His MCU screentime is about 23mins. Hawkeye would have been a more significant and suprising blow. Pietro was a safe death.

But the film threw every trope in the book at foreshadowing Hawkeye's death.
    "I'm going to live forever"
    "Pretending we need this guy is what really brings the team together"
    He has a wife, kids and happy home life.
    He has a child on the way.
    Says he just has one more home improvement job and then he's finished.
    Is shown any time Cap mentions that they might die.
    Gives a speech about what it is to be an Avenger.
    Is safe, but then has to go back into the battle to save a kid.
    Is about to be gunned down but turns his body to protect the child.

Hawkeye, at that moment, was the safe death. People had been led to his death in almost every scene he was in throughout the movie. It's Quicksilver who was the surprising blow, and until Hawkeye turned his body to protect the kid and the camera turned to Quicksilver, I thought Hawkeye was going to die.

As for Quicksilver having little screentime before his death, yeah, because it's a movie with a main cast of about 10 characters. Scarlet Witch barely had any more screentime than he did, it's just that her character was more central to the story due to her powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Hawkeye would have been a more significant and suprising blow. Pietro was a safe death.

Come off it, as soon as we saw Hawkeye's secret family with the pregnant wife, everyone in the audience knew Hawkeye was going to die in AoU. He might as well have said he was retiring from the team in just one month.

And when he got up from the boat to go back in the city and rescue a child, everyone said to themselves "Here it comes, bye-bye Hawkeye!"

Killing Pietro, the new guy, instead was a complete shocker in the cinema.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, a shock usually suggests a form of attachment to the character first. Pietro had barely enough time to become a character for his death to mean anything beyond what the stirring soundtrack told us to feel. Pietro was an orphan and had a bad accent, beyond that he was utterly disposable. Hawkeye's pining for the simple life was obnoxiously cliché all right, no doubt there, but I think a bigger shock would have been to kill of Cap, Iron Man or Thor without warning - and more in keeping with Whedon's previous style. Never going to happen of course given the nature of the franchise but that's a whole bigger issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Come off it, as soon as we saw Hawkeye's secret family with the pregnant wife, everyone in the audience knew Hawkeye was going to die in AoU. He might as well have said he was retiring from the team in just one month.

And when he got up from the boat to go back in the city and rescue a child, everyone said to themselves "Here it comes, bye-bye Hawkeye!"

Killing Pietro, the new guy, instead was a complete shocker in the cinema.

Except it was difficult to care about Pietro's death anymore than it would be to care about the tiresome fight with endless cyborgs. Hawkeye's death would have been equally as boring but at least I wouldn't have to watch his lame character anymore. Meanwhile please also kill Scarlett's character, and captain America as well while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Memnoch wrote: »
    Except it was difficult to care about Pietro's death anymore than it would be to care about the tiresome fight with endless cyborgs. Hawkeye's death would have been equally as boring but at least I wouldn't have to watch his lame character anymore. Meanwhile please also kill Scarlett's character, and captain America as well while we're at it.

Or you could just not watch movies full of characters you hate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Or you could just not watch movies full of characters you hate!

I like iron man and hulk. Thor is fun and so is Loki. Rest are pretty disposable. Does thy mother know thou wareth her drapes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

My point was missed and cant be arsed trying to re-explain it to diehards who believe everything Marvel does is golden. Daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Memnoch wrote: »
    Meanwhile please also kill Scarlett's character, and captain America as well while we're at it.

Well, not to give too much away, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,244 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My point was missed and cant be arsed trying to re-explain it to diehards who believe everything Marvel does is golden. Daft.

Or maybe people just disagree with the point you made?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Only caught this recently, have to say it was awful, awful stuff. I think I finally narrowed down my main pain point and that's the "funny" quip close ups on Robert Downey Jr. Actually I think it might be Iron Man in general.
    Have to caveat the above that my Marvel/DC interest doesn't really go further than Batman, but I almost missed GoTG as I dismissed it as another Avengers esque fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sphynxinatron

Did anyone else hated the Hawkeye family/farm scenes? I couldn't care less, probably because the Hawkeye character himself was never truly developed in the first film, and out of nowhere now he was the center of attention, but Whedon actually fought for those scenes. This is one of the only scenarios when I actually supported the studio execs lol. And actually hoped to see more about the black lady in that cave but she didn't even appear :(

Advertisement