Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers: Age of Ultron [** SPOILERS FROM POST 599 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Top quality show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

ceegee wrote: »
    Yeah, next Avengers will be a two parter, due out in 2018 and 2019
    Hopefully its not made up of the Avengers B Team. I can't see the Iron man/ Thor/Captain America franchises surviving after their current actors retire from their roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Hopefully its not made up of the Avengers B Team. I can't see the Iron man/ Thor/Captain America franchises surviving after their current actors retire from their roles.

To think that Iron Man and Black Windo/ Hawkeye and a few others were once considered part of the B Team before 2008.

The real A Team we've missed out on and yet to get (though no one has felt their loss really to the credit of the MARVEL Studio) would have been X-men, and Fantastic Four (Spider-Man to be soon rectified), very public iconic pop culture figures.

If Marvel could get them all under one roof before this juggernaut ends in the year 2100, then you end up with Phase 5 (or whatever)characters ending up being stronger than the originals ever were, unlike most cinema franchises where it starts great, goes middling and the casts become unrecognizable .

I was just wondering the other day, how will a studio like Marvel ever be able to stop making movies after the MCU ends, there's going to be no 10 year cool off period, comics movies are all they got. They just going to sit on cash reserves and pay employees for nothing??...unlikely. Reboot straight away. Buy the complete 30 year collection of the MCU in 2040 for 500 euro. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

The lack of X-Men is a major flaw in Marvels movieverse. They are such major conicverse characters to omit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,247 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The lack of X-Men is a major flaw in Marvels movieverse. They are such major conicverse characters to omit.

I disagree. I like how we're getting to see some of the lesser characters because Marvel can't rely on the the biggest names. I doubt we'd be seeing Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel or Ant-Man if they had the rights to the X-Men & Fantastic Four, and we've already had films (non-Marvel) with those characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I had such high expectations of this and tbh I walked out of the cinema feeling extremely underwhelmed. There were plot holes all over the place but the biggest thing that stood out for me was the complete lack of any type of character development from the start. It was just straight into the action and never stopped from there to take a breather.

Another thing which really annoyed me was the reveal of one of the Infinity Stones which are supposedly going to play such a big part in the Marvel Universe going forward. Thor randomly goes for a swim and sees them in his vision and THAT is how they introduce the stones? It was like the writers had a moment of sheer panic.

They sell the character of Vision in a big way as the film progresses and it was quite epic when he burts out of the tank, but then what? He can fly and shoot a lazer out of his forehead... WTF? I know they had to downplay his powers compared with the comics but I found the character and his powers unbelievably rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Disappointed with the film. I felt this was the sequel that 22 Jumper were continuously taking the p!ss out of.

It was brief, but they also showed Vision phasing his arms through one of the robots. And he was able to lift up Thor's hammer. What I'm guessing is that they need to bring his powers in slowly, probably in one of their standalone movies.

If I'm right, the Visions powers would be greater than Thor and even the Hulk? It would be tough for them to bring in a character that strong in the final third of the movie, especially given the fact that Vision, himself, probably doesn't know his own powers. It would be good to give them more time to flesh out the character more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

As someone who only has a passing interest in the MCU, (I will go see Avengers in the cinema, but watch the standalones on Bluray)...I thought it was quite good.

I am definitely sick of superheroes smashing easily disposed off enemies in these Marvel films, the Aliens from Avengers and now Ultrons robots which looked to be almost no threat, even in large numbers.

I'd much rather a more serious threat and fighting on a smaller scale, rather than the city wide destruction and army of easily disposed enemies. That won't happen anyways, as all the MCU films seem to have similar final acts.

Those points aside, I still enjoyed it, it was a good laugh. Looking forward to seeing Spiderman in Captain America 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be interesting to see waht happens with Infinity Wars 1 and 2.

I wonder if the New Avengers will be front and centre for part 1, with it ending on a particular death - and then Iron Man and Thor return to help out in Part 2 - along with possibly the inhumans, the defenders and GoG... that 2nd part could be a real cluster-f!

• Advertisement

Can we please ensure that we only discus the events in this movie and avoid discussing any future storylines?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This is the first Marvel movie I left feeling very genuinely underwhelmed!

As a big fan of Whedon and the original Avengers movie (my 2nd favourite Marvel movie probably behind GoTG), this just felt all a bit flat.

Humour was off (Whedon knows funny.. but there just wasn't enough funny moments), the action felt even more CGI-driven than ever and performances bar Renner, Ruffalo and RDJ just seems a little phoned-in.

I didn't think it'd live up to the first, but I didn't think it would be as disappointing as this! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Marvel seem to restrict character development to origin stories I've noticed. Should I be worried about GotG 2?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

@ Basq I thought RDJ looked all clapped out. He only has the one cocky kind of bit that he does, it's worn pretty thin.

I wouldn't worry too much about GotG.. as long as Whedon isn't writing it I have some faith. And they're less tied-in to the other films so there's more leeway for a film that can stand on its own merits.

Marvel seem to restrict character development to origin stories I've noticed. Should I be worried about GotG 2?

I would say the fact GoG don't have standalone movies to develop in would mean you have to have development in GoG2.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Why do they have to have these huge battles in the centre of built up areas. It's just stupid that there would be no public rage against "alleged" superheros when they probably kill hundreds and cause billions in damage everytime the Hulk has a bad day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Why do they have to have these huge battles in the centre of built up areas. It's just stupid that there would be no public rage against "alleged" superheros when they probably kill hundreds and cause billions in damage everytime the Hulk has a bad day
    That was touched upon at the end of Avengers? News reports complaining of damage caused

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

They directly addressed this! Cap organised an evacuation before **** went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

The best thing the whole franchise can do is for Thanos to absolutely wreck the Avengers at least for Infinity War Part 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Tefral

The best thing the whole franchise can do is for Thanos to absolutely wreck the Avengers at least for Infinity War Part 1.

This is the only way it can go down and they have any credibility. Im assuming they will either use Scarlet Witch or Drax for this and I doubt they will bring in Adam Warlock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

The Mayor of NY mentions it also at the end of Avengers Assemble

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    The Mayor of NY mentions it also at the end of Avengers Assemble

Also, I would guess Civil War just might touch on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Where does Vision get his powers from? Is it a combination of the infinity stone and Thor's lightning?

Was listening to a review and there was a correspondence from someone regarding Ultron's lips and mouth. Think I saw it here as well. It actually makes sense that he gave himself one, because he essentially was making himself in the image of Tony Stark.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Where does Vision get his powers from? Is it a combination of the infinity stone and Thor's lightning?

It's a bit of everything. Ultron's design, the mind stone, the vibranium and Dr.Cho's synthetic materials/cradle thing, Thor giving it a power overload...

Let's face it, the Twins pretty much got their powers solely from the mind stone as part of Strucker's experiments on them.

Good guys can't really choose where the battle happens. At least in this film, the concentrated a bit of time on clearing out the city and saving hundreds of people. And Stark tried to get Hulk out of the city in their fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Was listening to a review and there was a correspondence from someone regarding Ultron's lips and mouth. Think I saw it here as well. It actually makes sense that he gave himself one, because he essentially was making himself in the image of Tony Stark.

I just feel it completely took away from his menace and raised a load of questions in my mind like where did he get such malleable metal, how does he move it, did he give himself a tongue, I just found it incredibly distracting but I think I may be in the minority.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I just feel it completely took away from his menace and raised a load of questions in my mind like where did he get such malleable metal, how does he move it, did he give himself a tongue, I just found it incredibly distracting but I think I may be in the minority.

I don't think I'd be able to watch any kind of sci-fi or fantasy film if I thought about these kind of things. I simply thought, "Oh he has a mouth so they could use more of Spader's motion capture performance to help characterise him" and it didn't cross my mind again, I really don't think it deserved any more attention than that. Probably agree he'd have been a bit more menacing without it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see it again last night with my bro and me best mate.

much MUCH better the second time around. 2D is the far superior format to see this IMO as all the probs i had following the 3d one in relation to rapid movements and dimming were absent.

maybe the hype put me against the first viewing but i'd now say as an ensemble peice its superior to the first now as the relationships , and indeed use of powers, comes off far better.

i give it an upped 8/10 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I may not have been paying attention but why did the avengers try to evacuate the city on their own? Why not have nato or the local government/army help them.

Advertisement