Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers: Age of Ultron [** SPOILERS FROM POST 599 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't think I'd be able to watch any kind of sci-fi or fantasy film if I thought about these kind of things. I simply thought, "Oh he has a mouth so they could use more of Spader's motion capture performance to help characterise him" and it didn't cross my mind again, I really don't think it deserved any more attention than that. Probably agree he'd have been a bit more menacing without it though.

Exactly. We've had the opposite in the first Spider-Man film, with Spider-Man in a mask talking to Green Goblin in a mask on the rooftop. As someone said, it was like two dolls talking to each other. Same could have happened with Iron Man talking to Ultron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Half way through and I could hardly wait for it to finish.

Another blockbuster aimed squarely at teenagers, overly exposed in parts, under exposed in others, a cobbled together plot that says get the presentation right and you don't have to worry about substance, CGI that looks like it was loaded from a photoshop template. It was equally part film, video game and cartoon.The best part of this film was the actors seeming to enjoy themselves but I suppose they couldn't see the final product.

I may not have been paying attention but why did the avengers try to evacuate the city on their own? Why not have nato or the local government/army help them.

There would have been zero time to mount an evacuation like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

The lack of X-Men is a major flaw in Marvels movieverse. They are such major conicverse characters to omit.

The MCU is not suffering from the absence of mutants and it serves the X-Men franchise better to have the only superpowers be an oppressed minority.

Having said that, I do wish Fox had went with a Fantastic Four/X-Men shared universe as four regular ol' humans becoming famous and beloved off the back of having powers when those born with them are shunned could have been amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ridley wrote: »
    The MCU is not suffering from the absence of mutants and it serves the X-Men franchise better to have the only superpowers be an oppressed minority.

Having said that, I do wish Fox had went with a Fantastic Four/X-Men shared universe as four regular ol' humans becoming famous and beloved off the back of having powers when those born with them are shunned could have been amazing.

Such an idea would involve storytelling which would detract from the explosion time.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I just feel it completely took away from his menace and raised a load of questions in my mind like where did he get such malleable metal, how does he move it, did he give himself a tongue, I just found it incredibly distracting but I think I may be in the minority.

Looked like some kind of shutter mechanism, with many thin sheets of metal overlapping, giving the appearance of flexible metal.

I went to see it in the Showtime in Limerick yesterday, they did something wrong with the brightness of the screen, so the entire film looked like it was the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Mr Freeze wrote: »

I am definitely sick of superheroes smashing easily disposed off enemies in these Marvel films, the Aliens from Avengers and now Ultrons robots which looked to be almost no threat, even in large numbers.

I'd much rather a more serious threat and fighting on a smaller scale, rather than the city wide destruction and army of easily disposed enemies. That won't happen anyways, as all the MCU films seem to have similar final acts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This. Its too impersonal and you just end up detached and not caring what happens. I know Watchmen was a controversial film but its plot was very domestic and believable. There were no mass GCI battles, it was all about the acting and the storyline, which makes it something people can connect with. At this stage the Avengers thing is just too big and its boring watching the same plot being done over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Bad Horse wrote: »
    Good guys can't really choose where the battle happens. At least in this film, the concentrated a bit of time on clearing out the city and saving hundreds of people. And Stark tried to get Hulk out of the city in their fight.

And people complained about the destruction of Metropolis in Man of Steel. :pac:

I can't remember where Black Widow was at this point during the movie, but surely sending her in to 'lullaby' the Hulk would have been a smarter move? Especially given the fact that we saw how effective it was in the beginning... The skeptic in me thinks the film was lacking explosions and Michael Bay awesomeness so the Hulk-buster fight HAD to happen... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Falthyron wrote: »
    And people complained about the destruction of Metropolis in Man of Steel. :pac:

I can't remember where Black Widow was at this point during the movie, but surely sending her in to 'lullaby' the Hulk would have been a smarter move? Especially given the fact that we saw how effective it was in the beginning... The skeptic in me thinks the film was lacking explosions and Michael Bay awesomeness so the Hulk-buster fight HAD to happen... :rolleyes:

I think the lullaby thing probably wouldn't have worked because Hulk's head was messed up by Scarlet Witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Ridley wrote: »
    that why their making an inhumans film, which is unfolding on the tv show Agents of SHIELD, inhumans=
    mutants

marvel dont have the rights to use the term mutant, fox owns that,

love the bitching, id go out on a limb and say there arent many comic book fans, or even sci-fi fans here, just the criticism in ridiculous, ultrons lips cant move, but a guy flying by spinning a hammer is perfectly acceptable, for every criticism brought up there is another 2 that are overlooked, cause they are acceptable, but moving lips arent, gas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Both Hulk and Black Widow were knocked by scarlet witch, Tony actually mentions it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I think the lullaby thing probably wouldn't have worked because Hulk's head was messed up by Scarlet Witch.

That and she was in a bit of a fugue state from having her own head messed with by Scarlet Witch. Hawkeye had to carry her out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Age of Ultron is nothing. It just is what it is, a shrug of the shoulders. It does nothing well, it does nothing incompetently, instead occupying a plane of total mediocrity which frankly is almost worse than being an out and out disaster. There's no sense of style, everybody feeling like they're running on fumes, just enough to get over the finish light before the (infinity) gauntlet starts all over again. I'm a long-time fan of Joss Whedon, but his unique screenwriting flair is here reduced to the occasional mid action scene quip - a gag that was already tired back when Loki was still up to some mischief. Even throwing these larger than life characters / actors in a room to riff off each other delivers diminishing returns here. Whedon's never been a great visual director, but even taking that into account this is directed without colour or flavour. The bland Marvel house style overrides all, as it has done in the past with better directors than Joss Whedon. And, with some shoddy SFX work, it even manages to ruin the timeless cinematic tradition of the extravagant extended tracking shot.

At least Whedon does manage to keep everything fairly coherent, even as the cursed demands of brand extension... I mean extended universe require the film to be overflowing with stuff and people - a perpetual problem with Marvel films is they constantly seem to be pushing towards something else, rather than being entirely satisfying standalone experiences. The Vision benefits from strong art design when he initially appears, but is soon relegated to another player in the city-destroying melee. Elizabeth Olsen, one of most promising young actresses of her generation, is damned with a Russian accent, instantly restricting her performance (trying to wrestle screentime helps little). As said, Whedon does do his best to keep things moving with what was surely a thankless task, and to his credit finds time to offer some characterisation for the most neglected members of his ensemble, even if said characterisation is destined to never be fully three-dimensional. Whedon in interviews promoting this film has seemed burned out, ready to move on - thankfully it seems like he could be going back to making the original creations that are more in his control.

There's an intriguing subtext in the early parts of the film, that teases that the Avengers may not actually be these beloved saviours, but instead menaces who show up in foreign locales and make life a misery for many of the locals - a subtext rich in allegorical potential. Unsurprisingly the film totally fails to engage with this, and in fact by the end, as there's a third foreign city facing mass destruction, it has reverted whether ignorantly, innocently or ambivalently to something more weirdly neoconservative. I don't suspect this was an insidious decision, but does highlight a film - or maybe a studio - that refuses to challenge or provoke the audience in any way, to tease out the themes that are inherent in the material and in the characters. Perhaps it will come in a later Marvel production. But that's just it - in this extended universe brand, everything is always another film, another character, and most importantly another ticket away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

don ramo wrote:
    love the bitching, id go out on a limb and say there arent many comic book fans, or even sci-fi fans here, just the criticism in ridiculous, ultrons lips cant move, but a guy flying by spinning a hammer is perfectly acceptable, for every criticism brought up there is another 2 that are overlooked, cause they are acceptable, but moving lips arent, gas

I'm well aware of how silly it is complaining about his lips but my main issue was that it just completely took away from Ultron's menace. I don't Dee what it has to do with me being a comic book fan or sci-do. Some things are well established within the realms of comic book or sci-fi depending on the story or franchise whereby. I have no problem with Vision given that he comes from Xo's machine with creates special faux flesh or whatever they're calling it. But Ultron having lips makes know sense even within the ridiculous realms of the MCU either from a physics perspective or a narrative one.

And that is hopefully my last of Ultron's lips because I'm boring myself at this stage. So, sorry everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

so its fair to say its definitely a split opinion film so far. I doubt it break my top 3 Marvel film 1. GOTG 2. CAWS 3. Avengers Assemble.
    where would you guys put it in your Marvel top 10?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Looper007 wrote: »
    so its fair to say its definitely a split opinion film so far. I doubt it break my top 3 Marvel film 1. GOTG 2. CAWS 3. Avengers Assemble.
    where would you guys put it in your Marvel top 10?

Are there even 10 MCU films? Turns out there are 12 including Ant-Man. In terms of MCU IMO:

1. Iron Man
    2. Avengers Assemble
    3. Guardians of the Galaxy
    4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    5. Thor
    6. The Incredible Hulk
    7. Avengers: Age of Ultron
    8. Captain America: The First Avenger
    9. Iron Man 3
    10. Thor: The Dark World.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Apparently Avengers: Age Of Ultron Has An Alternate Ending
    As ScreenCrush found, Amazon.co.uk is already releasing details about the upcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron Blu-ray and DVD release. Along with the announcement that international audiences can start pre-ordering them online, a small message popped up to reveal that the home releases will feature both an "extended version" of the film and an "alternate ending." These are both pretty big deals for different reasons.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Apparently-Avengers-Age-Ultron-Has-An-Alternate-Ending-71102.html

But Ultron having lips makes know sense even within the ridiculous realms of the MCU either from a physics perspective or a narrative one.
    yeah impossible

don ramo wrote: »

Not really the same given that robot has a rubber skin. Ultron's face is pure metal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Not really the same given that robot has a rubber skin. Ultron's face is pure metal.

But Ultron is far, far advanced than us mere humans, I'm sure he can find a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Judging from the post credit scene Thanos will be the villian in the next avengers movies

He looks like such a bad ass far worse than Loki and Ultron. I bet he will kill some avengers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

He appeared after the 1st movie aswell he's been coming for a long time , I just hope they do him some proper justice,
    This is a character who wiped out half the universe with a click of a finger in the comics when he was the infinity gauntlet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

He appeared after the 1st movie aswell he's been coming for a long time , I just hope they do him some proper justice,

This is a character who wiped out half the universe with a click of a finger in the comics when he was the infinity gauntlet

Might want to spoiler that last bit just incase. I love the comic but that's a fairly big moment if you haven't read it.

I'm guessing they resurrected those characters afterwards though. I do hope the tone gets a bit grittier when he does appear and we don't get another comic relief villain.

Anyway, Mark Kermode's given his thoughts on it:

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 36,139 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A big meh. I am not even moved enough to explain why though. Add it to the pile of forgettable Marvel features.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I'm still frustrated at Quicksilver and him forgetting his powers. Definitely a waste that doesn't make sense. I understand he died to progress his twin but could have been better. Quicksilver should never have been "catching his breath" his whole body does everything fast. Peters/Singer (X-Men) and Whedon/Johnson all mentioned how everyone is so slow to him and thats why hes impatient. (they gave the ATM que example) yet Pietro is suddenly slow enough to be shot? Even tho he managed to be fast enough to disarm Klaw in no time at all. That was inconsistent. Would have been a minor but better change to have Ultron create some sort of explosion designed to eliminate all Avengers but have Quicksilver arrive there first, trigger it then die he wouldnt have chance to escape. It wouldnt have meant his powers looking so wildly inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm still frustrated at Quicksilver and him forgetting his powers. Definitely a waste that doesn't make sense. I understand he died to progress his twin but could have been better. Quicksilver should never have been "catching his breath" his whole body does everything fast. Peters/Singer (X-Men) and Whedon/Johnson all mentioned how everyone is so slow to him and thats why hes impatient. (they gave the ATM que example) yet Pietro is suddenly slow enough to be shot? Even tho he managed to be fast enough to disarm Klaw in no time at all. That was inconsistent. Would have been a minor but better change to have Ultron create some sort of explosion designed to eliminate all Avengers but have Quicksilver arrive there first, trigger it then die he wouldnt have chance to escape. It wouldnt have meant his powers looking so wildly inconsistent.

I don't think it was inconsistent. My assumption is that he got there to save Hawkeye and the kid just in time, but wasn't quick enough to save them and himself. He would have a top speed, and was too far away to accomplish everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Only quarrel with the movie was that we had barely seen what quicksilver could do and he was killed off.

Ludicrous IMO. Why introduce a second generation avenger and then just kill them off? Which raises the thought that maybe he isn't dead and will feature in future X-Men or avenger movies?

Quick search just told me that there will be a Quicksilver in next X-Men but it won't be Aaron Taylor Johnson (who I quite like as an actor)

• Advertisement

yeah the twins werent born with powers, they were lab experiments, so there is gonna be inconsistencies in their powers, think how much food he would have to consume to keep that up, hes still human, if anything that fact he was so muscular seemed more out place than the speed issues,

we seen even at the end scralett witch was being trained as an avenger, to develope her powers more and gain better control over them and make he more powerful, hell even vison was getting trained

Advertisement