Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers: Age of Ultron [** SPOILERS FROM POST 599 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I'm not going to spoil it but as someone who has read the comic books - either work out how to fix or do away with the ending from the funny books. Please please please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

horgan_p wrote: »
    I'm not going to spoil it but as someone who has read the comic books - either work out how to fix or do away with the ending from the funny books. Please please please

I'm hoping it has nothing to do with that storyline other than the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think they confirmed its nothing to do with the ongoing storyline , It's just a title, I'm betting Jarvis goes wonky, he did have a moment in Iron Man 3 where he started to think for himself so....

I really hope that it's Age of Ultron in name only as AOU is one of the worst things that I have ever read. An awful piece of crap whose last issue was so poor that Marvel released it in a sealed bag just in case anyone looked inside and realised just what crap it was.

Seems that Thanos will be appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy, Djimon Hounsou announced that his character would be close to Thanos. Have to hand it to Gunn, he's only been shooting the film two weeks yet was able to show several minutes of footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Still holding out for one of them to be called Avengers Dissassembled....although as with AOU just take the name rather than the terrible story. I really hope they don't over saturate it with new characters though.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think they confirmed its nothing to do with the ongoing storyline , It's just a title, I'm betting Jarvis goes wonky, he did have a moment in Iron Man 3 where he started to think for himself so....

According to Whedon:
    "We're crafting our own version of it where his origin comes more directly from The Avengers we already know about.”

So looks like you're on to something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't like that they took a title that was already there and then say its nothing to do with it. Surely they can make up an original title?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

No Pym is disappointing. I really don't like the idea of Tony being involved in Ultron's creation as IM3 left the character in a reasonable place where he had achieved some inner peace.

So it'd just seem a bit redundant to give Stark the turmoil and guilt associated with Ultron's creation when he's just gotten over some turmoil and guilt already. That's for Pym; that's basically what the character is known for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Bendis ( The Writer on AOU) tweeted this earlier :
    "Etiquette question: What do you get a very successful director who just spiked your trade paperback sales through the roof? :-)"

I'll bet he's laughing all the way to the bank

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No Pym is disappointing. I really don't like the idea of Tony being involved in Ultron's creation as IM3 left the character in a reasonable place where he had achieved some inner peace.

So it'd just seem a bit redundant to give Stark the turmoil and guilt associated with Ultron's creation when he's just gotten over some turmoil and guilt already. That's for Pym; that's basically what the character is known for.

Even stranger when you consider the Ant Man film will be out a few months after this, seems like it would have been a better option for Avengers 3 that way Pym could still be involved.

I'm guessing that they're keeping Thanos for A3 (via GotG) and simply needed a powerful villain for A2. Ultron fitting that bill.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Even stranger when you consider the Ant Man film will be out a few months after this, seems like it would have been a better option for Avengers 3 that way Pym could still be involved.

Is that based on Pym?....would have preffered a Scott Lang version....especially if Edgar Wright is directing it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Is that based on Pym?....would have preffered a Scott Lang version....especially if Edgar Wright is directing it.

Not entirely sure now you mention it, but on the imdb page the storyline says it's Hank Pym. It's early days yet though so no guarantee that's accurate.

I think the original treatment from Wright had an older Pym mentoring Lang, who I think robs the Ant Man suit and technology. But Pym ends up "officially" handing the Ant Man mantle to Lang anyway.

However, this would have been before Whedon established influence over the direction of all MCU properties. I actually think Wright mentioned recently that he had met Whedon to discuss his current treatment for Ant Man and how they're going to have to make it fly with the wider universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm guessing that they're keeping Thanos for A3 (via GotG) and simply needed a powerful villain for A2. Ultron fitting that bill.

I always thought it was too early for Thanos. Ultron is perfect. Is Antman coming out before A2? If so there might be a chance that Pym will appear in A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I always thought it was too early for Thanos. Ultron is perfect. Is Antman coming out before A2? If so there might be a chance that Pym will appear in A2.

No it's going to be part of Phase 3, so it's after A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I wonder if Hugh Jackman, saying he would love to be in the next Avengers film, has enough pull to convince Fox to loan Wolverine to Disnet for a large amount of money.

I'm not a big fan of Jackman but would be great to see him on the same screen as RDJ as Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I wonder if Hugh Jackman, saying he would love to be in the next Avengers film, has enough pull to convince Fox to loan Wolverine to Disnet for a large amount of money.

I'm not a big fan of Jackman but would be great to see him on the same screen as RDJ as Tony.

This would be a pretty epic move by both sides. I'd love to see it happen. I think if X-men:Days of Future Past is a success, it will reboot the Xmen franchise and Wolverine will be staying solely with Fox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One thing that has gotten me thinking - based, partially, on the title Age of Ultron - is whether these films run the risk of becoming overly 'geeky' and inaccessible. There is a risk that as they continue to embrace comic lore, they will get mixed up in the convoluted universe that has long since made Marvel comic books themselves a relatively inaccessible medium, instead the domain of relatively dedicated fans or at least slightly more dedicated than your average moviegoer. Obviously 'Avengers 2' is a big enough selling point, but I read 'Age of Ultron' and simply think Ultron is a ridiculous name. I say that, admittedly, as someone generally naive of comics culture and Marvel lore.

It will be curious to see how audiences react as the movie universe grows more complicated, especially with the far less commercially certain projects like Guardians of the Galaxy on the horizon. I think one of the things that have made these films so successful in the mainstream thus far is their accessibility and the way they more-or-less standalone. As they weave a more interconnected thread while concurrently delving into the lesser known character depths, one wonders if they'll leave people behind in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If there's no Pym I'd be willing to bet we get the
    Ultron taking over the Iron Man suit
    version of Ultron shoehorned in along the way somewhere.

Frisbee wrote: »
    If there's no Pym I'd be willing to bet we get the
    Ultron taking over the Iron Man suit
    version of Ultron shoehorned in along the way somewhere.

More than fair chance of it given that the teaser shown at comic con showed
    an Iron Man helmet being continuously twisted and dented to ultimately unveil the distinct outline of Ultron's helmet, inner red lights and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

More than fair chance of it given that the teaser shown at comic con showed
    an Iron Man helmet being continuously twisted and dented to ultimately unveil the distinct outline of Ultron's helmet, inner red lights and all.

Any links to the teaser trailer?

Nope, just a description:
    Crowd goes nuts, Joss waves and says “I don't have anything to say, but I have one thing to add.” The lights go down and we hear the Avengers theme.

Iron Man's helmet appears, audience cheers. Sound clips from all the Marvel movies start playing. “I am Iron Man,” “I'm always angry,”etc. I don't remember all of them, but they build to the end of the Avengers where Sam Jackson says they'll be back when they are needed.

All the while the camera sweeps in close to the Iron Man helmet. It's getting crunched, dented, misshapen. Sparks fly, crunching noises are heard. When we get that final Avengers quote the camera pulls back and the Iron Man helmet has been reforged as Ultron's helmet, an angry red light glowing out of his mouth and eye holes. Cue my eardrums being punctured by screaming fangirls (and boys, I'll be fair).

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63354

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I guess that pretty much confirms Stark makes Ultron

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Age of Ultron wasnt even that good of a comic.

No Thor, no Hulk, no Iron Man suit and a defeated Captain America.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm a bit disappointed that Iron Man will be so involved in the creation of Ultron. Between 3 films and Avengers I think there's been a bit of Iron Man overkill, as good as Downey is, the 3rd film for me was the character grating a fair bit by now. I'm also a bit worried how they will explain his creation because originally he gradually developed intelligence, so it'll be interesting how they put that in just 1 film.

To be honest, out of all Marvel's films coming up, I'm more excited by Guardians of The Galaxy. Fresh set of characters and from what was shown it seems an interesting humour involved as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,246 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Age of Ultron wasnt even that good of a comic.

No Thor, no Hulk, no Iron Man suit and a defeated Captain America.

They won't be following the comics story, just using the name.

One thing that has gotten me thinking - based, partially, on the title Age of Ultron - is whether these films run the risk of becoming overly 'geeky' and inaccessible. There is a risk that as they continue to embrace comic lore, they will get mixed up in the convoluted universe that has long since made Marvel comic books themselves a relatively inaccessible medium, instead the domain of relatively dedicated fans or at least slightly more dedicated than your average moviegoer. Obviously 'Avengers 2' is a big enough selling point, but I read 'Age of Ultron' and simply think Ultron is a ridiculous name. I say that, admittedly, as someone generally naive of comics culture and Marvel lore.

It will be curious to see how audiences react as the movie universe grows more complicated, especially with the far less commercially certain projects like Guardians of the Galaxy on the horizon. I think one of the things that have made these films so successful in the mainstream thus far is their accessibility and the way they more-or-less standalone. As they weave a more interconnected thread while concurrently delving into the lesser known character depths, one wonders if they'll leave people behind in the process.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I remembered that I thought Captain america was too goofy and old fashioned to make a good film, Thor was too out there to work and the Avengers would be a clusterf#ck of too many cooks proportions.
    So far Marvel have been proving me wrong at every turn, but it's gotta end somewhere right?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Galvasean wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing, but then I remembered that I thought Captain america was too goofy and old fashioned to make a good film, Thor was too out there to work and the Avengers would be a clusterf#ck of too many cooks proportions.
    So far Marvel have been proving me wrong at every turn, but it's gotta end somewhere right?

Very true, but the new films on their way are the first batch of adaptations from source material that the public would have almost zero knowledge of. Iron Man, the Hulk, Cap. America: they're all well enough known on their own and broadly engrained in pop culture; heck, all bar Iron Man & Thor had their own previous existences in TV & film. Stuff like Ultron or the Guardians of the Galaxy are unknown quantities and it remains to be seen how they'll fly without the buffer of a presence in pop culture.

Advertisement