Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Email - Down, Cancelled??

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I had an issue yesterday but went onto webmail.iol.ie and sent myself a test email and all started worrking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭okden

i use thunderbird with iol, and it wasnt downloading mail last few days, tonight i got a thunderbird message popup when trying to check for mail

add security exception
    you are about to override how thunderbird identifies this site
    legitimate banks, stores etc will not ask you to do this

server pop.iol.ie:110
    get certificate -->none

certificate status

wrong site
    certificate belongs to another site, which could mean someone is trying to impersonate this site

view details:-
    certificate issued to
    common name (CN) - gpo.iol.ie

valid from 12/6/17 to 13/6/18

confirm security exception?

i logged into the iol webmail and sent a mail and replied to it from a temp mail to see if it would trigger a fix as above

didnt work,

havent confirmed the thunderbird security exception yet till i learn more

Looks like they renewed the SSL certificate for gpo.iol.ie rather than pop.iol.ie. GPO is the same server, probably dates back to when IOL were owned by An Post (pop is just a CNAME to gpo). You could use gpo.iol.ie instead to resolve the issue.

ty, ..accepted security exception, and receiving mail again

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No iol mail for me today on 2 accounts. Havent actually logged into the accounts but I use the Incredimail client for sending and receiving and its not doing anything associated with iol web mail. Incredimail is sending and receiving on gmail account so its not it thats the problem

• Advertisement

update:not good

yeah mine worked for a week probably, then no more mail received by thunderbird mail app for long enuff to make me log in to iolemail web page today, and theres emails there that didnt download by thunderbird.

(there also seems to be a lack of emails on the iolemail web page, like there might be some sort of auto purge going on, idk, maybe not)

anyway i tried sending email in thunderbird rather and instead of silently failing like it does when not downloading.. now it gives the error message

...' Login to server smtp.virginmedia.com failed.' .....reenter password,

..password entry just fails to send and i get the error message again

Are you in the UK? smtp.virginmedia.com is the Virgin Media UK SMTP server. The Irish one is smtp.upcmail.ie

ty karsini that improved things somewhat

im in ireland, not sure where the smtp.viginmedia.com came from, maybe a search trying to fix it

ive changed it to smtp.upcmail.ie

anyway latest update and errors: i have 2 iol email address, and thunderbird email app

sending from iol1 to iol2 via thunderbird on port 465(thunderbird default) gave

Sending of the message failed.
    The message could not be sent because connecting to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.upcmail.ie failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again.

i switched to port 25 after googling boards for settings and retried and got

The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.upcmail.ie was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again.

then i tried sending from gurella mail to both iol emails and thunderbird recieved them both

:)

so i then tried sending from thunderbird iol email to the gurella mail and got

The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.upcmail.ie timed out. Try again.

:/

i tried port 465 again and

from gurella to thunderbird mail was sent and recieved

replying from thunderbird to gurella now gives the first port465 error

sending of the message failed.
    The message could not be sent because connecting to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.upcmail.ie failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again.

so basically now i can receive mail on thunderbird but not send mail, and changing the port changes the error msg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I can receive and send email from webmail.iol.ie but can only receive email from pop.iol.ie but must send from mail.vodafone.ie as iol.ie will not handle the outgoing emails.

Now I am with vodafone, but I think iol.ie does not handle outgoing emails from other platforms - or at least that what appears to be the case.

BT handles the iol service from Belfast and are quite good at support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

It's been giving awful issues for me the past few days, some days it's not receiving anything at all through my outlook but I can send without any issues. Today it's not receiving again???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭blackbox

My iolfree website seems to have finally gone down either yesterday or today.

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~rabbits/

Not having trouble with iol.ie at the moment. Try contacting BT - details further up the thread.

Thanks for the contact details.

I called the BT wholesale helpline 1800 923 924 but the guy there was unable to help as he said he only worked with mail servers and knew nothing about hosting.

He did not know of anyone that he could put me through to in order to resolve this and suggested that I send an e-mail to support@btireland.ie.

I've done this and am anxiously awaiting a reply.

The support is from the Belfast office. The guy I dealt with was very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Anyone thinking of moving from IOL???? Am thinking of same as I can't continue to worry about the day it finally gives up. How easy would it be to move all email over to say a Gmail???

blackbox wrote: »
    Thanks for the contact details.

I called the BT wholesale helpline 1800 923 924 but the guy there was unable to help as he said he only worked with mail servers and knew nothing about hosting.

He did not know of anyone that he could put me through to in order to resolve this and suggested that I send an e-mail to support@btireland.ie.

I've done this and am anxiously awaiting a reply.

Good news - they fixed it and replied to the e-mail. My website is now back up and running.

blackbox wrote: »
    Good news - they fixed it and replied to the e-mail. My website is now back up and running.

Great.

I was told by the support guy from BT that they will keep it going, just not let it expand.

I think it is too small to be an attractive target for hackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭datk

Anyone else get an email from BT saying their iol.ie account is closing down next month unless you click a button and chose to move it to Blacknight?

Need to check in to it before clicking buttons!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

datk wrote: »
    Anyone else get an email from BT saying their iol.ie account is closing down next month unless you click a button and chose to move it to Blacknight?

Need to check in to it before clicking buttons!!

This is legit.
    Please see https://blacknight.blog/blacknight-is-taking-over-the-iol-esat-oceanfree-email-services.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

mneylon wrote: »

I think this is great news, I just switched over my two accounts. I was worried these legacy emails would be killed off and I'd be forced to go with someone like Google! The servers seemed a bit unreliable with lots of down times. So it's nice to know they're secure in the hands of a company like Blacknight.

I have just gone from Vodafone to Eir because Vodafone have stopped my outgoing emails but my incoming emails were grand. Now I do not send many, but they never let me know.

Now BT have dropped us.

Will Blackknight handle outgoing and incoming emails?

Will we be allowed to create new @io.ie addresses?

What level of charge is likely?

By the way, I have been with Vodafone since BT dumped me when they sold out to Vodafone. The deal from Eir was significantly better than the Vodafone one giving included calls to most of the world including mobiles, with a very good into offer for the first 12 months. It was almost seamless as well, wih no sily stuff from either supplier. Everthing went exactly as I was told it would. I lst phone connection for about 4 hrs, but the broadband changeover went unnoticed, working off he Vodafone modem. I installed the Eir one (F2000) wich looked like a simillar one also from Huawei. Changed the network name and Wifi password to the old one and everything worked as before. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Wonder will they be adding value to what was a very very limited IOL service. ??

Am paying over €300 a year just to keep a few unique i@iol.ie addresses and was waiting for the day they were going to force me to move on....

This news can't be any worse than what we have...

Will Blackknight handle outgoing and incoming emails?
    Yes

Will we be allowed to create new @io.ie addresses?
    Not at present and for security reasons it's unlikely that we will allow it in the future

What level of charge is likely?
    We're offering the service for free for at least the first 12 months

Masala wrote: »
    Wonder will they be adding value to what was a very very limited IOL service. ??

To start with we're offering more storage and some newer features:
    https://www.blacknight.com/savemyemail/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Masala wrote: »
    Am paying over €300 a year just to keep a few unique i@iol.ie addresses and was waiting for the day they were going to force me to move on....

That's crazy, you could set up your own domain for unlimited emails and pay a fraction of that every year. No email is unique enough for that kind of money

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

You'd think that such a possibly 'spammable' message would contain a link to Blacknight, or other coherent security, wouldn't you??

I wrote to BT and so far only got a 'thanks for...' reply.

BTW, my wife's site in on Blacknight, mostly OK, but some serious techie issues from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

and.... as far as I am concerned changing my email address is a pain in the arse. I hope they don't screw us.

BarryM wrote: »
    and.... as far as I am concerned changing my email address is a pain in the arse. I hope they don't screw us.

We've made it very clear what we will be offering.

https://www.blacknight.com/savemyemail/

If you have any queries please let us know

Thanks

Michele

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would like to know the reason for requesting all the personal data such as name, address, phone number etc

Advertisement