Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Email - Down, Cancelled??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Hi - I've used iolfree email for years, and it's connect to my ebay/paypal accounts among others. I had similar problems as those mentioned last month (never had any problems previously) but since yesterday, it seems the account isn't receiving emails. Still able to log into the account via web, and still able to send, but nothing being sent to it is going through .

Has anyone any ideas? I've deleted and recreated pop accounts from yahoo/gmail, but the issue is direct (and can't setup pop as the verification email from yahoo or gmail never reaches the iolfree inbox!)

As ever, many thanks for you help

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

Sorry to bring up this old thread again, but is anyone else having problems logging into iol.ie mail this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Zauka

Lockster,

unfortunately, we do not use iol.ie

95 percent of population use gmail, outlook, or yahoo mail.

And by the way, they are the best.

Regards,
    Zauka

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Firblog

Aye, know people who are experiencing problems with iol mail this morning too.

Thanks. It's not that important to me as I've moved anything major away, but still good to know it's not only me with the problem.

• Advertisement

Lockster wrote: »
    Thanks. It's not that important to me as I've moved anything major away, but still good to know it's not only me with the problem.

Good decision

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I still have the vast majority of emails going via iol. It's my main email account, and I haven't had a problem at all with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Indigo(Run by eircom now) is having similar issues. Time to get out now before it all goes down IMO.

It seems to have just been an issue with our office internet connection and the security settings as it was just not connecting over wifi but fine on 3G. All resolved now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

It seems to have just been an issue with our office internet connection and the security settings as it was just not connecting over wifi but fine on 3G. All resolved now.

Still... Best to migrate to something widely supported and less likely to fail.

gmail, outlook, live, yahoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 tom_in_cork

I had problems on iol this morning also
    Seems resolved now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

This was always the big drawback with ISP-provided email accounts. When you moved ISP or the ISP vanished, your email account's future became very uncertain.

Even Apple screwed me over a few times with @mac.com and @me.com and then at @icloud.com I wouldn't bother with their email service ever again after that mess of domain changes for no logical reason. I'd an old @mac.com account which I got free for years and then they tried to charge me and I just jumped ship for Gmail and haven't looked back.

In the meantime, Gmail's pretty much absorbed the market along with all of our most intimate data!

Are there any good alternatives to Gmail / Google Apps. Preferably something that does good IMAP?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

SpaceTime wrote: »
    This was always the big drawback with ISP-provided email accounts. When you moved ISP or the ISP vanished, your email account's future became very uncertain.

Even Apple screwed me over a few times with @mac.com and @me.com and then at @icloud.com I wouldn't bother with their email service ever again after that mess of domain changes for no logical reason. I'd an old @mac.com account which I got free for years and then they tried to charge me and I just jumped ship for Gmail and haven't looked back.

In the meantime, Gmail's pretty much absorbed the market along with all of our most intimate data!

Are there any good alternatives to Gmail / Google Apps. Preferably something that does good IMAP?

Do your own, hosted, for for about €40 per year ex domain costs.

I had problems on iol this morning also
    Seems resolved now

I believe the safest and most advance free email provider is gmail.

There is no space/place on this planet for a small players. Eircom, comcast etc one day will die as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Zauka wrote: »
    I believe the safest and most advance free email provider is gmail.

There is no space/place on this planet for a small players. Eircom, comcast etc one day will die as well.

Outlook.com is also another good option. Microsoft changed from Hotmail to Outlook and I don't see that changing in a while, even still hotmail addresses will still work fine. You can get an @outlook.ie address free which is nice.
    For business use you should definitely invest in a domain and host your own email though. That way you'll have ownership of the domain and not need to worry about this kind of messing about in the future.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Only issue with Gmail is that your email's being trawled for ad words all the time.

While email's never really that secure, I do like at least some vague notion of privacy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭MrAbc

IIRC another issue with remaining with iol.ie or iolfree.ie, etc, is that changing your password now involves phoning them up and getting them to do it. Not very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Paulw wrote: »
    I still have the vast majority of emails going via iol. It's my main email account, and I haven't had a problem at all with it.

I have been using iol for (it seems like) ever. I have never had any problems, until now.

I have been in Chile recently so I thought it was a problem there, but since |I came back I have been having issues with mails not remaining on the server. I have a htc phone and the settings don't delete the messages on the server. It had been working just fine for the phone, an ASUS tablet and a PC, all three saw the mails, until, I was in Chile....since then....

What is happening is that all the messages (from two different accounts, including IOL) arrive in the htc, but they don't all appear in either the ASUS or the PC. Cannot seem to fathom out what is the basis on which they do appear on the ASUS/PC but on the ASUS if I do another scan all the original ones which were there disappear and new ones arrive. On the PC, if I don't scan the ASUS, some of the ones from phone appear, others don't....

Confusing or what?? Any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tom_in_cork

It's your settings. You can choose to leave on server, or delete when downloaded.
    I have set my mobile and tablet so they don't delete and my PC deletes from server when downloaded
    Is iol.ie down for anyone today?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Yes IOL down, asking me to retry password (using outlook), tried the site, i could login but couldn't send receive emails

• Advertisement

Down for me as well saying user name and password is incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭maxpower

im getting the following message when i try login via http://webmail.iol.ie/

An error has occurred

W10: Cannot login to host (gpo.iol.ie:110)
    W11: User or Password incorrect for port (-ERR Authentication failed.)
    W13: POP open failed
    W14: Login failed, try again
    W15: Logging out user {*****@gpo.iol.ie} )
    W20: User login error

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Getting the same error here, any ideas on how to fix it or who to contact?

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Getting the same error here, any ideas on how to fix it or who to contact?

no idea.

hopefully will be back tomorrow or the day after.

Seems to be back now as I just got an email on my phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I am able to login via the webmail.

Seems to be back now as I just got an email on my phone

strange still down for me.

i tried doing a password reminder and got the following.

Error!

We seem to be experiencing some Technical Difficulties.
    The System Administrators have been automatically notified of this problem and will resolve it as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sweetafton

It's back up for me too. Maybe try again?

yea, back for me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

Yes back up but it looks like any mails sent to us during the down time are lost, I know some sent to me have not come

Advertisement