Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Email - Down, Cancelled??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

My IOL email is not working properly. It does not send correctly.

Did you try using your ISPs SMTP server?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No, I use IOL.ie

pop.iol.ie for incoming and
    smpt.iol.ie for outgoing.

It is the incoming one that appears to be failing, as it is incoming that fails.

I just got a bunch of emails in timed from 17:50 to 21:07 all came in together.

Could it be malware?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mine was a bit hit and miss yesterday but not working today at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It might be a coincidence, but I have Vodafone fibre, and I noticed the firmware has been 'upgraded' from ---B14 to ---B18 I]or whatever - The last digit has gone from 4 to 8[/I

Now the error message only appears for received emails, and not always. It says the server broke the link. I had a similar problem with the HG556a, but not had it with this modem until the other day. I suspect that this firmware change is bad news.

I use Incredimail and have no problem with getting Yahoo and Hotmail mail through to the desktop but the iol mail is playing up. It worked for a wee while earlier but its stopped again.

Here's the Incredimail error message......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

Im intermittently having the same problem over the past couple of days. Eventually connects

Yes, that is the same here. Sometimes OK, sometimes not. Vry frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

has anyone got the pop3 and smtp settings for iol?

setting up a more suitable email solution for my old man but want him to still pick up mails sent to his old iol account

is it possible to auto delete mails in iol account after sucking them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tell your POP client to delete once downloaded and it will empty the IOL mailbox every time it connects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Pop.iolfree.ie You need to use the smpt settings of your internet provider.

• Advertisement

FSL wrote: »
    Pop.iolfree.ie You need to use the smpt settings of your internet provider.

cool

Is it working today? Not picking up new test mails that I'm sending it

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

What about pop.iol.ie instead of pop.iolfree.ie

What about pop.iol.ie instead of pop.iolfree.ie

I'm logging into that dire webmail site as well and not seeing new mails

I do see that it's using 3 times the paltry 10000kb that's available

edit: it's pulling in old mails now and deleting on iol server - so that should at least purge the inbox

Generally successful however a number of mails just won't come across from iol inbox.. stubborn sods

but it is picking up new ones

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I have pop3.iol.ie port 110 and have no issues.

I use authsmtp as outgoing, 'cos I travel a lot and authsmtp enables me to send from anywhere. I don't have an IOL smtp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭tech

I have 2 x IOL accounts, but have moved over to Gmail / Hotmail / personal domain with 5-6 years Smartphones!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

As none of the links on the home.iol.ie page work, like password recovery ect is there any way I could change my password. I do know the current one but my account appears to have been hacked and I am told the first thing I need to do to correct this is change the password. What has happened is that some(not all) of my contacts are receiving emails purporting to be from me but not from Me:

==================================================

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed: heinnie.com@mail1.atl111.rsgsv.net Domain tomail.ca has exceeded the max emails per hour (63/50 (126%)) allowed. Message discarded. heinnie.com@mail210.atl21.rsgsv.net Domain tomail.ca has exceeded the max emails per hour (63/50 (126%)) allowed. Message discarded. heinnie.com@mail223.suw14.mcdlv.net Domain tomail.ca has exceeded the max emails per hour (63/50 (126%)) allowed. Message discarded. heinnie.com@mail46.wdc01.mcdlv.net Domain tomail.ca has exceeded the max emails per hour (63/50 (126%)) allowed. Message discarded. heinnie.com@mail47.atl31.mcdlv.net Domain tomail.ca has exceeded the max emails per hour (63/50 (126%)) allowed. Message discarded.
    Reporting-MTA: dns; river.xtardns.com Action: failed Final-Recipient: rfc822;heinnie.com@mail47.atl31.mcdlv.net Status: 5.0.0 Action: failed Final-Recipient: rfc822;heinnie.com@mail46.wdc01.mcdlv.net Status: 5.0.0 Action: failed Final-Recipient: rfc822;heinnie.com@mail223.suw14.mcdlv.net Status: 5.0.0 Action: failed Final-Recipient: rfc822;heinnie.com@mail210.atl21.rsgsv.net Status: 5.0.0 Action: failed Final-Recipient: rfc822;heinnie.com@mail1.atl111.rsgsv.net Status: 5.0.0
    Return-path: <ggr@iol.ie> Received: from ip240.net169.n37.ru ([109.60.169.240]:41122 helo=tzvzvx.org) by river.xtardns.com with esmtpsa (TLSv1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256) (Exim 4.87) (envelope-from <ggr@iol.ie>) id 1bJ1ZJ-0002AZ-77; Fri, 01 Jul 2016 12:45:29 -0400 >From: <ggr@iol.ie> To: "Heinnie Haynessupport" <heinnie.com@mail1.atl111.rsgsv.net>, "Heinnie Haynessupport" <heinnie.com@mail210.atl21.rsgsv.net>, "Heinnie Haynessupport" <heinnie.com@mail223.suw14.mcdlv.net>, "Heinnie Haynessupport" <heinnie.com@mail46.wdc01.mcdlv.net>, "Heinnie Haynessupport" <heinnie.com@mail47.atl31.mcdlv.net> Subject: wowsome Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 19:45:17 +0300 Message-ID: <00002ede647b$73MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_069A2E3B.72B9D72B" X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 15.0 Thread-Index: AdHXiaQap4crZzpHIbWbUd3ve1trVg== Content-Language: en-us This is a multipart message in MIME format.
    Hey, Have you heard about that really wowsome stuff? You won't regret, believe me, read more here <http://cryjilecra.eas

Thx, ggr@iol.ie

My address is ggr@iol(not my real one as I have edited most of the addresses in the listing above) but obviously the sender or hacker is trying to suggest the emails are from me. The layout above is listed on the iol server as being From: Mail Delivery System, I suspect heinnie.com server bounced the emai back to me although other ppl have received the emails. BTW not all the email addresses listed in some of the spam are known to me, like in this one:

From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon@cpanel51.fastsecurehost.com>
    Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
    Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 11:21:59 +0100
    Attachments:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed: fossa@iol.ie Domain janetstown.com has exceeded the max emails per hour (500/500 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded. frankpeters@iol.ie Domain janetstown.com has exceeded the max emails per hour (500/500 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded. gargoyle@iol.ie Domain janetstown.com has exceeded the max emails per hour (500/500 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded. gdc@iol.ie Domain janetstown.com has exceeded the max emails per hour (500/500 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded. gerantho@iol.ie Domain janetstown.com has exceeded the max emails per hour (500/500 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded. geroreilly@iol.ie Domain janetstown.com has exceeded the max emails per hour (500/500 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded.
    Reporting-MTA: dns; cpanel51.fastsecurehost.com Action: failed Final-Recipient: rfc822;geroreilly@iol.ie Status: 5.0.0 Action: failed Final-Recipient: rfc822;gerantho@iol.ie Status: 5.0.0 Action: failed Final-Recipient: rfc822;gdc@iol.ie Status: 5.0.0 Action: failed Final-Recipient: rfc822;gargoyle@iol.ie Status: 5.0.0 Action: failed Final-Recipient: rfc822;frankpeters@iol.ie Status: 5.0.0 Action: failed Final-Recipient: rfc822;fossa@iol.ie Status: 5.0.0
    Return-path: <ggr@iol.ie X-Spam-Status: No X-cPanel51-MailScanner-From: ggr@iol.ie X-cPanel51-MailScanner-SpamCheck: X-cPanel51-MailScanner: Not scanned: please contact your Internet E-Mail Service Provider for details X-cPanel51-MailScanner-ID: 1b0RGQ-003c3j-CQ X-cPanel51-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the ISP for more information Received: from 177-91-119-229.waveup.com.br ([177.91.119.229]:33207 helo=zvrvn.com) by cpanel51.fastsecurehost.com with esmtpsa (TLSv1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256) (Exim 4.87) (envelope-from <ggr@iol.ie>) id 1b0RGQ-003c3j-CQ; Wed, 11 May 2016 11:21:11 +0100 >From: <ggr@iol.ie> To: "fossa" <fossa@iol.ie>, "frankpeters" <frankpeters@iol.ie>, "gargoyle" <gargoyle@iol.ie>, "gdc" <gdc@iol.ie>, "gerantho" <gerantho@iol.ie>, "geroreilly" <geroreilly@iol.ie> Subject: Fw: new message Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 13:22:02 +0300 Message-ID: <00007487422d$fecc7065$badd0901$@iol.ie> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_3807C1D3.42B3D721" X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 15.0 Thread-Index: AdGqUkEBXIkIrFMB7LY/i/AXgG3MQA== Content-Language: en-us This is a multipart message in MIME format.
    Hello! You have a new message, please read <http://cp92347.tmweb.ru/feature.php?lxv2> ggr@iol.ie
    Hello!

You have a new message, please read http://cp92347.tmweb.ru/feature.php

ggr@iol.ie

If anyone has any idea how I might deal with this or even changing my password, other than deleting my email address I would appericate it. I would like say thank you to all who have taken the time to read this posting as I realise it's a bit lengthy, so to speak.

As none of the links on the home.iol.ie page work, like password recovery ect is there any way I could change my password. I do know the current one but my account appears to have been hacked and I am told the first thing I need to do to correct this is change the password. What has happened is that some(not all) of my contacts are receiving emails purporting to be from me but not from Me:

If anyone has any idea how I might deal with this or even changing my password, other than deleting my email address I would appericate it. I would like say thank you to all who have taken the time to read this posting as I realise it's a bit lengthy, so to speak.

I would get onto BT. They are maintaining the iol.ie webmail service and are very helpful. The guy who helped me out is based in Belfast but if you phone their Dublin office you will eventually get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ED E wrote: »
    Tell your POP client to delete once downloaded and it will empty the IOL mailbox every time it connects.

I'm getting a crazy amount of spam,is it possible to use the the incoming server settings to send these e mails and auto delete same?If not I am hoping to delete my iol e mail address(although reluctant to do same).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 owenob

So is iol.ie finally gone for good? Gmail's been unable to fetch mail since September 2nd. When I telnet into port 110 and log in I get:

-ERR [IN-USE] Couldn't sync mailbox.

And emails to it are bouncing with:

procmail: Error while writing to "/iol/home/xxxx"

I've had that email for nearly 20 years. Very sad to see it go if it's gone. Lots of accounts to update!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

owenob wrote: »
    So is iol.ie finally gone for good? Gmail's been unable to fetch mail since September 2nd. When I telnet into port 110 and log in I get:

-ERR [IN-USE] Couldn't sync mailbox.

And emails to it are bouncing with:

procmail: Error while writing to "/iol/home/xxxx"

I've had that email for nearly 20 years. Very sad to see it go if it's gone. Lots of accounts to update!!!

You can stll access your mailbox via webmail. Pop access appears to have stopped though

My email works no problem.

Get onto BT and they should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I had a few hiccups last week, didn't respond, but OK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 owenob

I gave them a call on 1890 924 925 option 5, and they sorted me out pretty quickly. There was a server move or something and a few mailboxes got lost I believe.

All good now.

They are very good at solving problems but iol.ie is just on care and maintenance - so no new features. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

Seems to be down for me again

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

Can anyone let me know the smtp outgoing settings. I am trying to set up my old oil account on my new phone. I can receive mail ok but cannot for the life of me get maul to send.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Lockster wrote: »
    Seems to be down for me again
    Working fine for me but then again I had a couple of issues with it last year.

ra0044 wrote: »
    Can anyone let me know the smtp outgoing settings.
    Im probably completely wrong here but is it not something like mail.iol.ie

In any event would your current BB provider not have its own settings for outgoing mail? For example I use a desktop email client (Incredimail) for sending and receiving from several different iol accounts and as Im with Sky I have to enter smtp.tools.sky.com for outgoing mail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

Its from my iPhone where its not working I'm getting a message

Cannot Verify Server Identity
    The identity of pop.iol.ie cannot be verified by Mail.

Cannot Get Mail
    The mail server "pop.iol.ie" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings

Nothing has changed in my settings that worked up until yesterday. The same thing is happening on my wife's iPhone as well.

Its not that important as I've moved most mail away from this account but its still annoying when it doesn't work.

Thanks for any help

Advertisement