Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken window landlord dispute - help!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A LL cant get details of a debt they will be liable to pay? That doesn't sound right.

Its not right. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

BostonB wrote: »
    Its not right. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

..and therein lies the problem of renting in Ireland - an unregulated mess, lacking in clarity and wide open for interpretation and abuse. No wonder there are so many threads on Boards from tenants trying to figure out what's what.

Why on earth isn't there added documentation standard in all contracts to be signed by both parties listing straightforward procedures that put the LL and tenant on a equal footing.

Documentation which covers all the basic areas: -
    Tenant must show LL at the end of the rental period documented proof of closed utility bills which have been paid in full.
    LL must do all property checks 2 weeks before moving out date allowing tenant adequate time to fix problems, make repairs..
    Deposits must be returned to the tenant at the end of the contract period, signature needed as proof of payment etc..

It would make the whole process financially less painful for so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭generalbison

Eek, just been reading this on threshold's website about the hearing process:
    The Hearing
    · Person who submitted the application (the applicant) states their case first. You may call witnesses to support you case
    · The respondent (landlord) is the given opportunity to cross examine the tenant and any witnesses
    · Landlord will be then given opportunity to state their case
    · Tenant will then be given the opportunity to cross examine the landlord. You should prepare a list of questions prior to hearing. Other relevant questions may occur to you during the hearing so it is advisable to make a note of these questions as they arise.

Sounds like I get to be a pretend lawyer for the day! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Eek, just been reading this on threshold's website about the hearing process:

Sounds like I get to be a pretend lawyer for the day! :eek:

Give 'er hell!!

• Advertisement

The hearing has been adjourned (postponed) at the request of the respondent (the landlord).

Seems the landlord intends to attend but couldn't make it on the date set for the hearing. There's been no new date set for it, so back to wait-and-see mode (but also gathering and submitting evidence etc)

Brief update...

The hearing took place yesterday.

The landlord submitted screenshots of some of the posts from this thread as evidence.

It will be a few weeks before we are told what the determination on the case is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Why would she have used screen shots from here. What a numpty

The final update, I guess this brings this thread to a conclusion:

- Just over 3 weeks ago we received a letter saying that the PRTB had ruled in our favour, awarding us our security deposit back in full, plus a small amount in damages.

- The landlord did not lodge an appeal.

- The landlord has now paid us the full amount as determined by the PRTB.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Great news! And thanks for the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its only a shame that it took 11 months to sort, but you got the result in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I hope that the cow boy landlord is still reading this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

The final update, I guess this brings this thread to a conclusion:

- Just over 3 weeks ago we received a letter saying that the PRTB had ruled in our favour, awarding us our security deposit back in full, plus a small amount in damages.

- The landlord did not lodge an appeal.

- The landlord has now paid us the full amount as determined by the PRTB.

:D

Congratulations and well done for sticking to your guns!

One question though - how did she know about this thread?

I dont know, but it's not like boards is a big secret (40th biggest forum in the world according to a forum ranking I saw).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Congratulations and well done for sticking to your guns!

You do know landlords are not all techo-phobes who are "feard that that the webinternetz thing will capture their souls" don't you?

There are several forums around here about renting, both from the LL & tenant point of views, good advice is to read both as you can see both points of view then and make life easier for yourself by forseeing any future problems and trying to avoid them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I dont know, but it's not like boards is a big secret (40th biggest forum in the world according to a forum ranking I saw).
    You do know landlords are not all techo-phobes who are "feard that that the webinternetz thing will capture their souls" don't you?

Jaysus lads, what's with the attitude?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Great to hear OP. Too often these things don't reach their conclusion and bad behaviour goes un-punished so congratulations on your 'victory'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Great to hear OP. Too often these things don't reach their conclusion and bad behaviour goes un-punished so congratulations on your 'victory'.

Good Q - what's with your attitude? you write like you think all LLs are illiterate uneducated people who wouldn't have the nous to read an internet forum nor the intelligence to connect a thread with their own experiences. LLs have feelings too ya know :p

you do know generalbison is the person who started the thread don't you? I was being sarcastic (probably should havve stuck in a rolleyes but thought it would be self-explanatory) but gb won't have any attitude -- THEY WON

Edit: Whoops, sorry Pawwed Rig, don't know what happened there, I meant to quote April O Neill's comment "Jaysus lads, what's with the attitude?"

Dredging up an old thread here, but stumbled onto some interesting articles today, relevant to all the trouble we went through 7 years ago

Spencer Dock tenants face eviction over building defects
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/spencer-dock-tenants-face-eviction-over-building-defects-1.3812756

"The letter, which was sent late last year, relates to 'potential defects in the window frames of the apartments'." 😱

"Several quantity surveyors' reports have reportedly discovered issues with windows, balconies, leaks and fire alarms at the development."

Celebrities drawn into legal action over Dublin luxury flats
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/celebrities-drawn-into-legal-action-over-dublin-luxury-flats-1.4039509?fbclid=IwAR1zB0TQ72rQKV-as22-49tadpg0r7lIvLAABZcETb4PBSOhQ_F9yoGJdeA

That surely explains why the window broke back then, just terrible build quality.

Cowboys, Ted! Bunch of cowboys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The fact that she will not provide any evidence of her even having contacted the insurance company does show major red flags.

I'd be asking for confirmation or like you say a breakdown, from the company showing as to why they won't cover it. Then I'd be somewhat happy to fork out my money.

If she won't provide any proof or evidence as to why they won't cover it, then she can sing for the money. Chancer..

Oops- Just read the entire thread, and noted the date!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Dredging up an old thread here, but stumbled onto some interesting articles today, relevant to all the trouble we went through 7 years ago

Spencer Dock tenants face eviction over building defects
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/spencer-dock-tenants-face-eviction-over-building-defects-1.3812756

"The letter, which was sent late last year, relates to 'potential defects in the window frames of the apartments'." 😱

"Several quantity surveyors' reports have reportedly discovered issues with windows, balconies, leaks and fire alarms at the development."

Celebrities drawn into legal action over Dublin luxury flats
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/celebrities-drawn-into-legal-action-over-dublin-luxury-flats-1.4039509?fbclid=IwAR1zB0TQ72rQKV-as22-49tadpg0r7lIvLAABZcETb4PBSOhQ_F9yoGJdeA

That surely explains why the window broke back then, just terrible build quality.

Cowboys, Ted! Bunch of cowboys!

I have a crack in the small window of my bathroom and it happened after the first 6 months of being in the apartment which is about 3 years ago. Came back from holidays and noticed it. The crack is on the inside pane of glass. Window is only the size of 2 a4 pages but there seems to be water stuck between the 2 panes of glass. Never informed the LL because I assumed it had been there since I moved in. Now I’m thinking maybe it hasn’t been there since I moved in and after reading this I’m worried. Help!!!!
    I should mention It’s a ground floor apt .
    Anyway thought i would consult the master. I’m actually not joking should I inform the LL now ?

Advertisement