Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin Bus GT Class

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art(h)ur

Dublin Bus could help themselves by putting stickers on the middle doors saying "Way Out" or "Exit" as when I last checked nearby signs merely indicated it was an Emergency Exit.
    That's exactly the big issue, I think - after years of brainwashing the general public with single-door operation, people are not even considering using middle doors, everybody walks straight to the front for getting off, even from the back seats downstairs!

Clear signs "Entrance only" and "Exit only" would surely make a difference but I'd say some information campaign is needed as well. After all, it is a change in the way buses are used (just like introduction of smart cards) so it's hard to expect a non bus fanatic to get the idea without ever telling them about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I was on GT3 on the 7B on Friday evening and there was no stop display, English or Irish.

Is it only for the artery routes planned and not if they wander? Like if they're not on the 151, 7, 4, etc and instead - like they have already wandered - onto the 7B/8/69 etc.

Middle doors were used though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

At Toronto bus/tram/subway stations there are announcements to contact them if you are on board a vehicle with no next-stop announcements, however this is because they were mandated to have them by a human rights tribunal decision (the union representing the crew would not agree to be obliged to announce them manually).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

GT53 is in Ringed this week for driver training, so it won't be long before they're on the No.1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Am I the only one who has noticed an odd smell on these buses ? Maybe I just get the same smelly 4 in the Morning .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

dfx- wrote: »
    I was on GT3 on the 7B on Friday evening and there was no stop display, English or Irish.

Is it only for the artery routes planned and not if they wander? Like if they're not on the 151, 7, 4, etc and instead - like they have already wandered - onto the 7B/8/69 etc.

I've seen them in use on the 7D so not just artery routes, it also recognised the detour stops (as lwr Glenageary road is currently closed).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 7, 7b, 7d and 8 are all on common duty boards.

I was on a GT on the 33 yesterday morning between Drumcondra and Santry, I think it was GT46. Centre doors weren't used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Am I the only one who has noticed an odd smell on these buses ? Maybe I just get the same smelly 4 in the Morning .

Yes! I've noticed it too on the 33, different buses too. Wonder what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

I think it could be from the blue vinyl/rubbery stuff on the floor where the wheelchair bay is.

GT61 is operating on route 104 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Was on a 7b last night and both stop display and stop announcement in use, and for once as I wasn't getting off at the terminus I was able to use the centre doors - though with a bit of reluctance it seemed from the driver (along with some clown talking to him, gesturing me to come to front doors).

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I've noticed Donnybrook drivers are particularly non compliant with operation of centre doors.

Observed a GT on the 7 fully aligned with the stop at Dun Laoghaire yesterday with 15 people getting off, all of whom had to use the front door, and later another with 8 coming off, same result.

I boarded this second vehicle, driver never used the centre doors, though passengers were being told in an audio announcement to make use of them.

It is time for DB to grasp the mettle here an insist that drivers either operate the vehicles as requested, or transfer off "marked-in" duties on the 7/8 into the spare pool if they wish to be "single-door men".

Failing this, the route and the vehicles should be removed from DB by the NTA and awarded to a private operator who IS prepared to operate the service to specification.

C635

I was on a 4 this evening from Ballymun to O'Connell Street, the driver only used the centre doors on O'Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jam08

On one today on the 29A. Have to say it did make the commute more bearable.

Wifi working grand, centre doors used, stairwell screens are clever as it pushes people upstairs to seats instead of crowding the door. Btw, also noticed that odd smell, doubt it was the wheelchair vinvyl thing as I was sitting right down the back upstairs.

Anyone know how many of these have Clontarf got out on the 29A's at the moment, and when the rest will be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Conway635 wrote: »
    I've noticed Donnybrook drivers are particularly non compliant with operation of centre doors.

Observed a GT on the 7 fully aligned with the stop at Dun Laoghaire yesterday with 15 people getting off, all of whom had to use the front door, and later another with 8 coming off, same result.

I boarded this second vehicle, driver never used the centre doors, though passengers were being told in an audio announcement to make use of them.

It is time for DB to grasp the mettle here an insist that drivers either operate the vehicles as requested, or transfer off "marked-in" duties on the 7/8 into the spare pool if they wish to be "single-door men".

Failing this, the route and the vehicles should be removed from DB by the NTA and awarded to a private operator who IS prepared to operate the service to specification.

C635

The biggest problem I have found with my use of the GT is the significant issue of establishing a natural flow for departing passengers.

It's my opinion that the NTA really needed to look CLOSELY at the London model and take good note of the alignment of the stairwell and centre exit,as well as perhaps electrifying the luggage bay grabrail to deter the clamp-on's who insist upon their right to obstruct humanity in motion.

The Dublin GT's stairs is in the WRONG place,and indeed encourages departing passengers,particularly right-handed ones,to immediately turn at the bottom of the stairs to exit at the front.

My experience has been of an INCREDIBLE number of passengers walking past the open centre-door,even looking closely at it,whilst heading to leap out through the front.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Have being using these new buses over the last few days and the centre doors were use the majority of the time. They have a notice on the LED displays asking people to use the centre doors but people seem to use both. Having the names of the stops on the LED displays is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Seriously who cares about centre doors or not having them at all.

The biggest thing that needs to change is fare dodgers so worry about that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Two very different issues but equally important in my view. Using centre doors can massively decrease dwell times at stops and greatly improve the overall journey time. On busy routes it could be the difference of 1 or 2 minutes per stop.

The issue of fare evasion is an important one, but extends far beyond the introduction of dual door GT buses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

While fare evasion is a problem wasting time is an even bigger problem.

I was trying to get on a bus a few days ago, around 10 trying to get on but around 18 or more people had to get off and everyone was crowded near the doors waiting to get on. One had a buggy which took even more time as all the people waiting to get on had to step away to let them out.
    The bus was stopped there for almost 2 minutes while it should have only took around 30 seconds to let 10 people on if centre doors were available and used properly

When I'm on a GT I never seem to know which way to go. Only on one occasion has the centre door been used on a service I was on. There have been times where I'll stand at the centre door, then it doesn't open and I probably look like a fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

I don't care in the slightest about DBs fare evasion problems. I care that my bus gets me from a to b quickly and reliably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The biggest problem I have found with my use of the GT is the significant issue of establishing a natural flow for departing passengers.

It's my opinion that the NTA really needed to look CLOSELY at the London model and take good note of the alignment of the stairwell and centre exit,as well as perhaps electrifying the luggage bay grabrail to deter the clamp-on's who insist upon their right to obstruct humanity in motion.

The Dublin GT's stairs is in the WRONG place,and indeed encourages departing passengers,particularly right-handed ones,to immediately turn at the bottom of the stairs to exit at the front.

My experience has been of an INCREDIBLE number of passengers walking past the open centre-door,even looking closely at it,whilst heading to leap out through the front.

Could the centre doors be opened first and people told to use them by the driver? if this was done for a few days most peole would get the message but it would mean all drivers singing from the same hymn sheet and using the centre doors at all stops not just when it suits them, which just wont happen in Dublin bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I remember when they launched the CitySwift branding on the 27 in the mid-90s..

Came with a significant rerouting of the existing 27 to extend it to Claire Hall, the withdrawl of the 42C and the 27A was negatively affected/withdrawn as well as I recall.

Anyway, part of this was leaflets through the door explaining the new changes and that you could/should/would now exit through the middle doors (which unlike these new buses WERE in the right place on the RH/RA/RV class - directly across from the stairs). If I remember right the doors actually had EXIT ONLY on them too.

Anyway.. do you think the drivers used the doors then either? :rolleyes:

There's your biggest problem.. not the passengers, or the stops.. it's the guy behind the wheel!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I remember when they launched the CitySwift branding on the 27 in the mid-90s..

Came with a significant rerouting of the existing 27 to extend it to Claire Hall, the withdrawl of the 42C and the 27A was negatively affected/withdrawn as well as I recall.

Anyway, part of this was leaflets through the door explaining the new changes and that you could/should/would now exit through the middle doors (which unlike these new buses WERE in the right place on the RH/RA/RV class - directly across from the stairs). If I remember right the doors actually had EXIT ONLY on them too.

There's your biggest problem.. not the passengers, or the stops.. it's the guy behind the wheel!

Well in that case then the NTA should confiscate the GTs as they said they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Karsini wrote: »
    Well in that case then the NTA should confiscate the GTs as they said they would.

Well if using both doors is part of deal then yes they should - but I think we both know that won't actually happen :(

Instead we'll have new shiny buses with dual doors that are treated as single door buses - just as the RH/RA/RVs and older models were before them - and the same old problems of longer dwell times, overcrowding on the lower deck etc will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Could the centre doors be opened first and people told to use them by the driver? if this was done for a few days most peole would get the message but it would mean all drivers singing from the same hymn sheet and using the centre doors at all stops not just when it suits them, which just wont happen in Dublin bus.

Oddly enough,thats exactly the tactic I employ,however the main result for me has been grief,as people took the closed front door as me being a smart-alec ( :eek: ) and responded appropriately.

Additionally,as I kept the front door closed,once those milling about intending to board saw pax alighting at the centre doors they then made a bee line to that in order to leap aboard,resulting in each stop becoming like an episode of Mr Bean.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Ringsend had those on the 93 reg RHs too

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

AlekSmart wrote: »

I disagree that the doors are in the wrong place. I only visit London now, but used to live there in the mid to late 1980s and there was a double decker then (the Metrobus, I think they called it - think they might have all been decommissioned now) where the centre doors were right opposite the stairs. It just caused a big jam, as people on short journeys tended to congregate around the doors rather than bother finding a seat, making it difficult for people to exit having come down the stairs. The GT design seems to have learnt from this experience.

The natural flow of the passenger needs to be in at the front and upstairs or to the back, and out of the centre doors, as the GT bus allows. Going out at the front at busy stops just clogs everything up. Drivers, who were extremely reluctant at first to use the middle doors but less so now, will need to act together, probably including reinforcing the message verbally, until it's second nature like it is in London. Some proper "Exit" signs on the centre doors (instead of "Emergency Exit" signs) would also go a long way.

I'm pretty sure Ringsend had those on the 93 reg RHs too

I certainly remember Olympians with "Exit Only" (in the CIÉ 2000 font) labels on the centre doors. Not sure which ones though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

There should be a big sign in the stairwell, facing you as you come down the stairs. Telling people to use the centre doors. Some people will still remain oblivious, but DB need to reinforce the message at every point.

Advertisement