Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin Bus GT Class

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

LordSutch wrote: »
    And just to add to these ideas, why not have a pair of 'One way' turnstile bars on the middle doors, rather like the ones on the Dart ticket machines wherby you can only go one way, and in this case EXIT - That would solve it.

Hard to believe that the Middle door issue on CIE/Dublin Bus is still going on, after several decades.

Or we could stop trying to solve a problem that does not exist, what is the logic behind the thinking here?
    Why is it that multiple door buses can operate everywhere around the world but are somehow impossible to use in Dublin? does anyone genuinely think that Dublin Bus will be overwhelmed by fare evaders if the middle door is used?

It's the 'Dublin Bikes will be thrown in the Liffey' style of thinking all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Or we could stop trying to solve a problem that does not exist, what is the logic behind the thinking here?
    Why is it that multiple door buses can operate everywhere around the world but are somehow impossible to use in Dublin? does anyone genuinely think that Dublin Bus will be overwhelmed by fare evaders if the middle door is used?

is semi that but also the 'elf n safettti' ruling from the courts that prevent it. Irish people are seemingly incapable of using the doors if they don't line up exactly with the footpath, fall over and call the ambulance chasing lawyers for the slightest bump.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Was on one of these yesterday for the first time, and the first time I've used Dublin Bus for a while apart from nitelink and whilst it was an improvement on the VG, was there really any need to specify the worst model of individual seating that is out there? I've been on the same bus type in the UK, but they've used much better individual seating that is more comfortable. Instead we have the awful seats with a little more padding that were in the VT's.

Also the driver did not use the double doors. Said I had to exit in the front as the middle is only for emergencies and that the middle door was not wanted by the drivers and it was forced on them by the government so they would not be using it in a grumpy voice

So as soon as I can driver again in a few days I'll be doing exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

devnull wrote: »
    the middle door was not wanted by the drivers and it was forced on them by the government so they would not be using it in a grumpy voice

God forbid their employer and the main source of their funding would issue them an order and expect it to be carried out.

(Yes, yes, I know all about the LRC ruling, I'm being facile)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

We were all trained to use them on the course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Anyone know if the CTs have better fuel consumption than their predecessors, in other words are they "Greener"?

curious.

The best so far, i dont have figures to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭kub

Also the driver did not use the double doors. Said I had to exit in the front as the middle is only for emergencies and that the middle door was not wanted by the drivers and it was forced on them by the government so they would not be using it in a grumpy voice

What is it about that stone age union thinking and attitude in the semi state companies? They are masters at the grumpy voice, peed off face and general unfriendly way. don't mind us though we are the passengers/ customers who pay your wages.
    Having seen that new double decker though, I do not like it, that monitor as mentioned by others will be like a magnet to scum bags. The centre doors will make lovely ornaments.
    But I think that the Bus Eireann batch of double deckers from the same factory look at lot better, even the 08 ones. I think its the metal around the windows or something, it looks dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

What's the audio quality like on these buses?
    My only audio experiences on Dublin Bus is with the no smoking announcement which is often very tinny, at an inappropriate volume and sounds like they got someone's child down the garage to read the announcement itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

They are ment to be getting around 8mpg up 3mpg from the rest including RV, AV, AX

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

What's the audio quality like on these buses?
    My only audio experiences on Dublin Bus is with the no smoking announcement which is often very tinny, at an inappropriate volume and sounds like they got someone's child down the garage to read the announcement itself.

It cant be changed by driver and the smoking 1 comes on around every 15
    The sound is actually very loud on the GT and the driver announcement is a lot lower sound down on that and also cant be changed

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

kub wrote: »

What is it about that stone age union thinking and attitude in the semi state companies? They are masters at the grumpy voice, peed off face and general unfriendly way. don't mind us though we are the passengers/ customers who pay your wages.
    Having seen that new double decker though, I do not like it, that monitor as mentioned by others will be like a magnet to scum bags. The centre doors will make lovely ornaments.
    But I think that the Bus Eireann batch of double deckers from the same factory look at lot better, even the 08 ones. I think its the metal around the windows or something, it looks dated.

Maybe it's because we have to deal with people and attitudes like yours day in and day out!!! ;-) there's a smiley face for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Maybe it's because we have to deal with people and attitudes like yours day in and day out!!! ;-) there's a smiley face for ya.

The chek of you Ticketyboo,don't you have the faintest notion that the first principle of Customer Service is to meet every customers full expectations at all times !

The correct smilie should have been :( (:mad: :mad: :mad: ) :(

Now go away and practice ! :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »

The chek of you Ticketyboo,don't you have the faintest notion that the first principle of Customer Service is to meet every customers full expectations at all times !

The correct smilie should have been :( (:mad: :mad: :mad: ) :(

Now go away and practice ! :o

Well considering the exhoborent wages the customers pay me!! Maybe I should try harder.
    Can't seem to get those smilies on my phone so it has to be the simple ones :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭kub

That smiley did not turn out too good :D

kub wrote: »

That smiley did not turn out too good :D

It was only a half arsed effort because you didn't pay me enough this week!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Even the GT's middle doors are rarely opened; I did see an UID GT open them up very briefly at Stop No 3084 on Frascati Road in Blackrock.

I saw that while walking to the post office a few days ago. I thought they looked great from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Even the GT's middle doors are rarely opened; I did see an UID GT open them up very briefly at Stop No 3084 on Frascati Road in Blackrock.

I saw that while walking to the post office a few days ago. I thought they looked great from the outside.

Was on a GT this morning, 151 heading to Docklands. Driver made a point of opening middle doors only, when bus was stopping to let passengers off.

No idea who driver was but hats off to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Its good to see at least one driver taking some initiative, maybe some of the more stubborn drivers will cop on and follow his lead.

Was on a GT this morning, 151 heading to Docklands. Driver made a point of opening middle doors only, when bus was stopping to let passengers off.

No idea who driver was but hats off to him.
    mmcn90 wrote: »
    Its good to see at least one driver taking some initiative, maybe some of the more stubborn drivers will cop on and follow his lead.

That is good to hear too, Although, there were two 7 drivers during last weekend in which both of them had instructed passengers to use the middle doors when leaving the bus. It is an encouraging sign that some attitudes are changing about the DB drivers who use them on their shifts.

At that moment that those words were said, I myself exited GT 9 & 10 last Sunday when going between Temple Hill and Dun Laoghaire and back on the return. I felt a great feeling after such a long gap. And after 8 years; it was finally achieved on a DB route.

The last time I exited through the middle doors of a bus was in 2004 on a London route 15 to Aldwych. I was going on from Greenwich to a stop near Downing Street at the time. The make of the bus was a double door Dennis Trident ALX400. But I cannot remember the company it came from.

Admist all those positives; I had missed one thing that was going through my mind, they were the audio announcements. I still haven't heard them at all since I first used the GT's about two weekends ago.

I would ask how often do the drivers switch on the announcements when they are on the GT's?

Also, have these announcements started to be heard on the 151?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

I would ask how often do the drivers switch on the announcements when they are on the GT's?

They cant be turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stobart

No announcements on GT 26 this morning on 151 and driver making full use of the centre doors. They are being well recieved on 151's overheard a few people commenting positively about them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

I asked one driver last week if the middle doors were ever used. "Only on special occasions, like if the Queen comes" he said.

My theory is that drivers like passengers to pass them as they depart from the front doors because they get a "thank you" that way. Obviously you can't do this if you leave by the centre doors.

Ridiculous that they're not used, especially at busy stops, where it takes twice as long because of the necessity to wait for everyone to get off first.

Personally am very impressed by the spec of the bus. What technology does it use to "know where it is" though?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I asked one driver last week if the middle doors were ever used. "Only on special occasions, like if the Queen comes" he said.

:D
    what a bizarre answer

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

That's what I thought. I was just expecting a "No", to which I was about to retort "Do you think Dublin Bus would have gone to the trouble of designing a bus with double doors only for them not to be used?" but was so caught off guard by his answer that I didn't!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Got this new bus for the first time last night, very nice.

Like the big blue wheelchair sign on the ground at the wheelchair position, should help with wheelchair versus buggy problem.

The bus stop location signs are pretty much useless due to the Irish totally dominating them.

The screen on the stairs seems to switch between different internal cameras, which is strange as I thought the point of it was to show free spaces upstairs, would be better if it stayed on just one camera showing upstairs.

I think it would be better if they reversed the position of the middle doors and the wheelchair bay. The way it is designed at the moment, when you come down the stairs the middle door is far behind you, so you tend to go towards the front door instead. If the middle door was directly across from the stairs, I think people coming down the stairs would more likely use it.

When I was on the bus, the middle door was not used :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stobart

A step back in time today on 151's nearly all operated by AV's only saw one EV (which was the main bus on the route for the last while until the GT's appeared) and GT's seem to have gone missing already not one to be seen:(

Stobart wrote: »
    A step back in time today on 151's nearly all operated by AV's only saw one EV (which was the main bus on the route for the last while until the GT's appeared) and GT's seem to have gone missing already not one to be seen:(

They may have more being delivered to Conyngham Road and doing more driver training which is normal including the delivery of this one.

Also, this happened to GT 12 yesterday evening. Although, I would doubt this as a laughing matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Just saw GT 6 doing the last 54A from Kiltipper tonight. It's rare enough to see anything other than 03/04 AVs on the route!!

Advertisement