Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband launches in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

gazzer wrote: »
    Just checked out the pricing and it is €50 for unlimited broadband and off peak calls or €40 for a 10GB broadband and off peak calls.

I would use more than 10GB a month but probably no more than 40gb so if I end up saving €2 if I leave Eircom :rolleyes:

I would have thought there might be a discounted bundle price for existing sky customers. I was considering leaving Sky but was waiting to see what their broadband deal was like.

Time for me to jump ship and go FTA and go with Vodafone for their €40 a month offer.

I must have got the fine print wrong ? Is it not €40 for unlimited broadband all in ?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    People that signed up during the pilot phase got transferred over quite quickly..

You'll owe Eircom 30 days money in lieu of notice , but they should cut the service over fairly quickly (unless of course they decide to be stroppy)

There is already a delay with my order at Sky (so it said on their site), they did get a lot of calls today and said they would call me back in 2 days time.

I did expect to pay during the switch over as I wasn't really prepared to do without any broadband.

One thing though I hope I got the pricing right. I am expecting a final bill of €40 for the broadband and nothing else. I don't use the phone ever so if there are other small print items I have not seen them and doh to me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I must have got the fine print wrong ? Is it not €40 for unlimited broadband all in ?

As far as I can see if you are in a BT enabled exchange area it is €40 but if you are not it is €50

gazzer wrote: »
    As far as I can see if you are in a BT enabled exchange area it is €40 but if you are not it is €50

I didn't read that anywhere. I got the following email.
    Dear Mr X.

Thanks for choosing our Sky Talk and Broadband services. So you know exactly what's happening, we'll contact you at every stage of set up and let you know when your activation date is.

Your package is waiting
    Sky Broadband Unlimited, which offers speeds as fast as your line will go and totally unlimited usage - great for the whole family to share. We estimate that the maximum download speed your line can support will be 20.0Mbps. You can find out more about broadband speeds by clicking here

Sky Talk - fantastic calling features at your fingertips

Sky Talk Freetime - giving you inclusive evening and weekend1 calls to Irish landlines, your new Sky package is a fantastic way to keep in touch with family and friends.

This does not include any offers that may be applicable. These will be reflected in your Sky bill when the products are active.

Sky Broadband Unlimited €10.00
    Sky Talk €30.00
    Sky Talk Freetime €0.00
    The price you pay for your Sky Broadband is conditional on having Sky Broadband and Sky Talk. If you transfer your Sky Talk services to another provider, your Sky Broadband price will increase by €30 a month.

Customer Authorisation

This confirms that you have requested that the following services be switched to Sky from your current provider:

All telephone and broadband services, including your telephone number

As far as I can read it says €40 all in providing I don't switch from Sky Talk. Thats a pretty good deal for me... I think Eircom did fleece me a bit. They did tell a few porkies on the phone.

This is what I get when I put in my phone number and UAN

Your orderHelp
    Monthly costs
    Sky Connect Unlimited €20
    Sky Talk Freetime Free
    Sky Talk Line Rental €30
    One off costs
    Sky Hub Free
    Monthly cost €50
    One off cost €0.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

There are 2 sets of prices. One for existing Sky customers and one for new customers.

There are 2 sets of prices. One for existing Sky customers and one for new customers.

Ah I see. Thanks for that.

I already got the €29/month Sky Entertainment Extra. I am expecting €69 all in.

Sorry that was clear as mud ><. Sky just told me it was €40 all in on the phone there. Still worth the move !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

UPC still works out cheaper than Sky. I was expecting a bit more from them than this.... :-(

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Sorry that was clear as mud ><. Sky just told me it was €40 all in on the phone there. Still worth the move !

Well if you had entered your tel no & UAN you would have got to a page that told you the speed your line could take & the options to buy a €40.00 or €47.50 phone & BB bundle. Clear as mud, eh:D. Then you have to pay your €29 on top of that for your tv. No discount for taking the triple pack.:(

A poor offer from Sky, especially when they are the new kid on the block with a bulging wallet. They could really have shaken up the market. I dont think Vodafone will be too worried, unless Sky star giving special offers when they realise that only a trickle of customers are transferring to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

/RAISES ALERT FLAG/.

Im with them about 3 weeks now.

Last monday I lost all connection in the evening. didnt get it back til mid morning the day after. rang them, straight through to their support number which is good. very helpful, all the usual tests. turns out there was a general fault in my area which was resolved. no problem.

but then the same happened tuesday night. wedensday night and last night.

Sky can only do basic troubleshooting (turn it on and off). any support call has to go through their "third party supplier" ie, Eircom. But theres up to a 72 hour turnaround on those calls.

No problem if theres a genuine fault, ie, Id be getting this problem even if Id remained with Eircom. however, be prepared for this.

I dont understand other posters in here saying they had to cancel with eircom manually. sky looked after all of it for me. I didnt have to contact eircom to cancel with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I dont understand other posters in here saying they had to cancel with eircom manually. sky looked after all of it for me. I didnt have to contact eircom to cancel with them.

Clint-did you get hit with a final bill from Eircom?I got charged €50 in lieu of one months notice even though I sent in a letter about 3 weeks before Sky took over my service.They also charged me for evening/weekend local/national calls as soon as they received that letter( as they said the bundle was "null and void").Very sneaky,was never told this when I rang to enquire about switching provider.Anyone else get these charges?

toby2111 wrote: »
    Clint-did you get hit with a final bill from Eircom?I got charged €50 in lieu of one months notice even though I sent in a letter about 3 weeks before Sky took over my service.They also charged me for evening/weekend local/national calls as soon as they received that letter( as they said the bundle was "null and void").Very sneaky,was never told this when I rang to enquire about switching provider.Anyone else get these charges?

I didn't get a final bill yet but I fully expect to as ISPs always something like "must cancel a month in advance" clause. I'll wait til it comes in the door.

I'm not surprised at anythign any service providors do if you decide to cancel. Youre no longer theyre friend.

Heres another thing they dont tell you. call costs. When you have sky, any call to their tech support is free when placed through the landline to their 0818 number. But if you think about it, if your landline is down, you gotta use a mobile, which I had to 3 times this week. Works out about 35c per minute. I just checked my mobile costs and Im over 5e this week alone. I most certainly will be looking for this back. (I don't hold out much hope though).

Well if you had entered your tel no & UAN you would have got to a page that told you the speed your line could take & the options to buy a €40.00 or €47.50 phone & BB bundle. Clear as mud, eh:D. Then you have to pay your €29 on top of that for your tv. No discount for taking the triple pack.:(

A poor offer from Sky, especially when they are the new kid on the block with a bulging wallet. They could really have shaken up the market. I dont think Vodafone will be too worried, unless Sky star giving special offers when they realise that only a trickle of customers are transferring to them.

I got it for definite eventually. I seen the realistic speeds and price. I'm happy enough with it for now even though it still seems expensive compared to the U.K for example. I'm paying €13 less each month for 3 times the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Do you have to use the sky hub or will your existing modem router work if you just change the access settings?

Doodoo wrote: »
    Do you have to use the sky hub or will your existing modem router work if you just change the access settings?

should work, its all just comms.

wifi is not better with the hub, still have to use a bridged router to get to some rooms in my house.

Doodoo wrote: »

Your existing router will work although do do send out a Sky router. The only thing you would have to change is the settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'm in the boondocks, with the local eircon exchange most definitely not broadband enabled. It even says so in the IOFFL Broadband availability Map. :D

I used to have an eircon land-line but dumped it, when I got a FWA connection.

I am a Sky customer and went through the availability checker, putting in my neighbour's land line number (I didn't know their UAN).

It tells me they can get up to 24Mbps! :eek:

Surely that's a bit misleading?

They can't give Broadband where none is available - surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I'm in the boondocks, with the local eircon exchange most definitely not broadband enabled. It even says so in the IOFFL Broadband availability Map. :D

Surely that's a bit misleading?

They can't give Broadband where none is available - surely?

What did you think of the availability map? Useful?

No Sky cannot provide DSL services if your exchange is not enabled, they can also only provide the speeds that the exchange is enabled for, so if the exchange is enabled for 8Mb that'll be the max you can get. You can check that too on our availability checker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

MMFITWGDV wrote: »

Yup, it does that on all non-DSL lines. There's some note about 24Mbps being the max they offer so you need to call them; but very misleading indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

bealtine wrote: »

Yes. It is very good. That sort of gathering of all of the disparate pieces of information is really, really useful.

Years ago, the department used to have a site that you could pop a pin in a map and it would tell you what Broadband Providers could service that spot.

In my case, it showed a LOT of Satellite providers (Irish and UK), which were expensive at the time. Through my own digging around and research I went with a one-way Satellite offering from a German crowd that was cheap enough. I think I paid €60 for the dish, fitted it myself and then €10 a month for 2Mbps. Had to pay eircon for the dial-up for upstream though :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

bealtine wrote: »

No Sky cannot provide DSL services if your exchange is not enabled, they can also only provide the speeds that the exchange is enabled for, so if the exchange is enabled for 8Mb that'll be the max you can get. You can check that too on our availability checker too.

Also Nationwide the AVERAGE DSL speed is less than 4Mbps. So an unqualified up to 24Mbps is VERY misleading compared to many Fixed Wireless speeds (distance can be irrelevant if you get a signal). Any upgraded UPC area would likely be 30Mbps minimum.

Mobile "up to" 21Mbps is even more dishonest as the speed not just varies dramatically with distance (as DSL does), but with only TEN simultaneous users on a Mast sector the speed can be as low as 0.12Mbps, or no connection. Average on Mobile is about 1Mbps, but the variation of speed even for same location is enormous. On DSL, whatever speed you get, is whatever it is unless the exchange has insufficient backhaul for peak periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

watty wrote: »

Mobile "up to" 21Mbps is even more dishonest as the speed not varies dramatically with distance (as DSL does), but with only TEN simultaneous users on a Mast sector the speed can be as low as 0.12Mbps, or no connection. Average on Mobile is about 1Mbps, but the variation of speed even for same location is enormous. On DSL, whatever speed you get, is whatever it is unless the exchange has insufficient backhaul for peak periods.

My tests on mobile show a ping variation from 80ms to over 500ms...
    Speed tests vary from 0 to 5Mb/s and download speed anything from 0 with an average of about 400kb/s to 2Mb/s.

Mobile sucks for real internet access:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 armen tamzarien

Hi , I have been researching this rumour re sky broadband and stumbled across the forum re broadband , im living in a remote area of county wicklow & I'm currently using satellite broadband from an English company called beyond Dsl , it's just about ok , a little expensive and was looking for an alternative, could anyone inform me (since the posts were 7 months old) has there been any further info from sky on this ??, I'd believe their claims re speeds etc having seen what my own can do all be it hit & miss but im sure that rate of download would be very expensive, any info would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sky broadband is DSL like what eircom sell, not satellite broadband

if you cant get broadband from eircom ie DSL, its a waste of your time going for sky broadband

I ordered Sky broadband the day it was made available here in Ireland. They phoned me yesterday to say to say that they messed up the order and it will take another two weeks to deliver the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Hi Guys,

I'm currently a Sky TV customer and Vodafone broadband customer. I'm out of contract with Vodafone, and I was thinking of switching to Sky for their unlimited broadband. Then I got an email from Vodafone saying "Very soon we'll be introducing our new fibre broadband. With speeds of up to 70 Mbps, it's now up to ten times faster. And it comes at no extra cost." Since then, I've noticed Eircom doing similar advertising, which doesn't surprise me since I understand they use the same infrastructure?

Anyway, this afternoon I got a call from Sky offering me half price broadband for the first 6 months (of a 12 month contract). I didn't sign up but asked them to call me back in a week. Now I'm wondering if I do go to Sky, will I miss out on the new fancy fiber broadband that I am supposedly going to get "very soon" with vodafone?

Thanks,

Ronan

• Advertisement

RonnieL wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm currently a Sky TV customer and Vodafone broadband customer. I'm out of contract with Vodafone, and I was thinking of switching to Sky for their unlimited broadband. Then I got an email from Vodafone saying "Very soon we'll be introducing our new fibre broadband. With speeds of up to 70 Mbps, it's now up to ten times faster. And it comes at no extra cost." Since then, I've noticed Eircom doing similar advertising, which doesn't surprise me since I understand they use the same infrastructure?

Anyway, this afternoon I got a call from Sky offering me half price broadband for the first 6 months (of a 12 month contract). I didn't sign up but asked them to call me back in a week. Now I'm wondering if I do go to Sky, will I miss out on the new fancy fiber broadband that I am supposedly going to get "very soon" with vodafone?

Thanks,

Ronan

Im with sky and Im paying them 10e a month for 24mb with no download cap.

Thats for a year.

what do you need 70mb for and how much you paying vodafone?

Advertisement