Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband launches in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

The cap is 15 gb. You can get something like another 100gb for 4 euro i believe

http://www.vodafone.ie/offers/broadband-max/

Thanks for posting that. I got on the phone to them and they offered me 165GB limit 24MB line for €37.98/month which is cheaper and faster to €52.63/month 8MB no cap with Eircom. I never have went over 80gb/month in the last 12 months.

I guess it depends on what Sky can offer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's DSL, so it's UP TO. Less than 10%, maybe less than 5% of people will get that speed. When is Comreg and ASAI and NCA going to force advertising that isn't totally misleading? You might see no difference in speed at all.

Also beware of Bundled (i.e. Need Sky pay TV or Vodafone Mobile) or Introductory offers (special price is only 6 months).

There is lip service to the concept of Consumer Protection and Enforcement of the law in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Solair wrote: »
    That's not unique to eircom though. It's just the nature of the tech. You'd need to be almost living IN the exchange to get 24mbit/s on ADSL2+

Exactly my point. It won't magically be better because it's Sky or Vodafone selling it.

LLU is 10 years too late. ADSL2+ was rolled out too slow and too late. Only fibre makes sense now, at a minimum to the local street cabinet.

Eircom was promoting ISDN as "high speed" when they should have already had everywhere with DSL and LLU unbundling should have already existed. They were upgrading to ADSL2+ and arguing about LLU pricing when they should have been Planning FTTC. But the fault is the Regulation, (Financial allowing the Leveraged Buyouts and asset stripping and Comms, allowing increases to over €20 instead of a decrease to €5 for line rental which would have killed the Leveraged buyouts).

So the Sky entry is NOTHING about improving competition, prices or Broadband in any significant way, purely about competing on Bundles with UPC to avoid loosing more TV subscribers to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

watty wrote: »

There is lip service to the concept of Consumer Protection and Enforcement of the law in this country.

consumers are an inconvience to business here that's all. Business would be much better run if it didn't have to deal with the public, like banks do just ignore the laws and do whatever they want

well I am pretty fortunate as my line is pretty close to the exchange and I usually get satisfactory speeds so I was really thinking of the price and cap.

The price here for anything phone or broadband related is still too high. There should be some price drops in line rental or actual broadband packages. Sky isn't going to revolutionise the Irish broadband scene but hopefully it will at least bring cheaper broadband and maybe better coverage.

• Advertisement

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Sky isn't going to revolutionise the Irish broadband scene but hopefully it will at least bring cheaper broadband and maybe better coverage.

There will be absolutely NO change in coverage...if eircom aren't there then that's it no coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

well I am pretty fortunate as my line is pretty close to the exchange and I usually get satisfactory speeds so I was really thinking of the price and cap.

The price here for anything phone or broadband related is still too high. There should be some price drops in line rental or actual broadband packages. Sky isn't going to revolutionise the Irish broadband scene but hopefully it will at least bring cheaper broadband and maybe better coverage.

But Sky entering the market will do nothing to reduce line rental, this isn't set by Eircom, but by the regulator

bealtine wrote: »
    There will be absolutely NO change in coverage...if eircom aren't there then that's it no coverage

Sky are going ahead with BT and said they would have 100% coverage from day 1. It was on a radio show. I can't see anyone else entering the Irish market that will or can drive competition.
    But Sky entering the market will do nothing to reduce line rental, this isn't set by Eircom, but by the regulator

hmm.. Sky is with BT but I don't know if it still means LLU or some other mechanism.

hmm.. Sky is with BT but I don't know if it still means LLU or some other mechanism.

LLU has line rental too, the lines are owned by Eircom

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    LLU has line rental too, the lines are owned by Eircom

yes, hopefully sky will prove some kind of competition. I am waiting till mid October when they are to send out broadband services and prices before I do anything.

• Advertisement

yes, hopefully sky will prove some kind of competition. I am waiting till mid October when they are to send out broadband services and prices before I do anything.

Keep waiting:)
    LLU is only available from what 80+ exchanges out of 1200. So NO change there most certainly NOT 100% coverage. Line rental is always payable and is set by the regulator at E26+, so NO change there. The only change might be a few euros on the retail price but don't hold your breath.

Competition to who?

Competition to who?

Eircom (who I am with). They are too expensive (but good)

Eircom (who I am with). They are too expensive (but good)

You don't get it, do you? It's not competition, Eircom own the lines, therefore they make money on both the reselling of Eircom bitstream and LLU packages. Besides that Eircom cannot drop their line rental price as it's set by the regulator.It's win, win for Eircom

You don't get it, do you? It's not competition, Eircom own the lines, therefore they make money on both the reselling of Eircom bitstream and LLU packages. Besides that Eircom cannot drop their line rental price as it's set by the regulator.

its pretty simple, broadband prices here are too high. I am just on the look out for a cheaper alternative if that is at all possible. I am only talking about waiting to see what Sky come up with for myself than trying to figure the whole Eircom incumbent thing.

its pretty simple, broadband prices here are too high. I am just on the look out for a cheaper alternative if that is at all possible. I am only talking about waiting to see what Sky come up with for myself than trying to figure the whole Eircom incumbent thing.

It should be pretty simple for you to grasp, the prices are already set by the regulator and Sky have little or no wriggle room, unless they sell at a loss.
    So stop expecting something that's unlikely to happen...sorry

But dsl broadband prices can't really get much lower while the line rental fee is set by the regulator. Vodafone are already selling it at a loss. The only ones benefiting here will be the people who sign up to bundles. This sort of competition does nothing.

It should be pretty simple for you to grasp, the prices are already set by the regulator and Sky have little or no wriggle room, unless they sell at a loss.
    So stop expecting something that's unlikely to happen...sorry

hey thanks for the advice ;) I can read the newspaper btw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Vf sell at a loss/no gain in order to get people onto their mobile products where they make margin.

Vf sell at a loss/no gain in order to get people onto their mobile products where they make margin.

there were offering me a €2 discount if I was with their mobile. Not much :confused:

• Advertisement

hey thanks for the advice ;) I can read the newspaper btw

If you can read you should try comprehension as well...

The newspapers are notorious for inaccuracies especially when they just regurgitate marketing nonsense like your claim of 100% coverage for DSL.

Sure broadband is expensive here, we all know that, but as everybody in this thread is saying Sky is not going to create any sort of competition like you expect. You might get a few euros off but that's it.

If you can read you should try comprehension as well...

The newspapers are notorious for inaccuracies especially when they just regurgitate marketing nonsense like your claim of 100% coverage for DSL.

Sure broadband is expensive here, we all know that, but as everybody in this thread is saying Sky is not going to create any sort of competition like you expect. You might get a few euros off but that's it.

Words of wisdom, priceless thanks so much !!! :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Words of wisdom, priceless thanks so much !!! :D:D:D:D

Your sarcasm only betrays the fact you don't know what you are talking about.

Your sarcasm only betrays the fact you don't know what you are talking about.

About broadband, prices, availability, competition etc... Nope I do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Stick to the topic in hand, and leave out the insults, please (both sides!).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

watty wrote: »
    If you cancel UPC TV you get basically no TV (maybe some poor quality analogue channels that are perfect on Aerial or Dish for free).
    In Dublin the non FTA channels you get are more or less

Discovery - only factual thing left is old WWII docu's and you'll see similar on Channel 5 and free movie channels
    Sky one - much of this is free to air on SKY's
    - you can get your star trek fix on CBS , horror channel are showing FireFly
    The comedy channel - Lee Evans repeats.
    Living - moving wallpaper
    MTV - there are FTA music channels, but if you like music then look at the Hotbird satellite too

http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/our-channels

The cap is 15 gb. You can get something like another 100gb for 4 euro i believe

http://www.vodafone.ie/offers/broadband-max/
    It's not broadband but by comparison. http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/student/?cm_sp=shop-_-HEAnet-_-HP-Banner%201 Students can get 15GB for €9.99 a month on a 3G dongle. Additional use after allowance only €0.001 per MB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Discovery - only factual thing left is old WWII docu's and you'll see similar on Channel 5 and free movie channels
    Sky one - much of this is free to air on SKY's
    - you can get your star trek fix on CBS , horror channel are showing FireFly
    The comedy channel - Lee Evans repeats.
    Living - moving wallpaper
    MTV - there are FTA music channels, but if you like music then look at the Hotbird satellite too

Most biased load of crap iv ever read.

got this email today, interesting to see what Sky will offer
    Sky Broadband and Talk services are coming to Ireland
    Hello,

Thank you for registering your interest in Sky's Broadband and Talk services in Ireland.

We're busy working on making sure we can offer you a great value broadband service backed up with the levels of customer service you'd expect from Sky.

In the coming weeks we will keep you updated by email on the timings and availability of the Broadband and Talk services in your area, and we'll make sure that you are among the first to hear about our pricing and package options as soon as they are announced.

Best regards,

The Sky Ireland Team

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

got this email today, interesting to see what Sky will offer

Take that with a pinch of salt. Pricing will be released to everyone at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

I think as mentioned sky are just getting a bundle together to give upc some sense of competition albeit a false one in the hope it will entice people back or to Sky with just the one bill.

If they were interested in offering people a good deal they would have done it by now on there tv packages instead of charging extortionate prices for sports channels, multiroom and HD content.

Either way even if they bring the price down to 60 or less for a basic package you will still not get as minimum:
    • 25mb broadband
    • ESPN
    • HD Channels
    Unless you pay more on top.

The offer would have to be pretty good for me to change from UPC. Only time will tell, I wouldnt hold your breath though.

Advertisement