Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2012 Daily Diary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭killyourtv_

If anyone else doesnt have red button (like me, damn you UPC!), there's a site showing all the sports in separate categories and can be viewable up to 120mins after broadcast!

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Decent score for Joseph Murphy in eventing, dressage element. He scored 55.60 penalties and although he won't be up near the leaders, it is a good score for the Irish team and one of Murphy's best dressage scores on this horse. Encouragingly, this combination have the ability to go through cross-country and showjumping without picking up penalties.
    Positive result for Murphy in by far his weakest discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Not strictly daily diary but here's the route to medals for our boxers. tough draws eeverywhere

Paddy Barnes - light flyweight
    Last 16 - v Cameroon/Morroco
    Last 8 - India/Honduras/Mongolia

The Mongolian was world champion in 2009, won bronze in 2011 and won silver in Beijing. Qould be a massive upset if barnes medals.

Michael Conlon - Flyweight
    Last 16 - Ghana/Mauritis
    Last 8 - Afghanistan/France/USA

American Raseeh wallace is a veteran, ex world champ. ooubali fo France is a seasoned compaigner with world medals too.

John Joe Nevin - Bantamweight
    Last 16 - Abutalipov (kazakhstan)
    Last 8 - Mexico/Tajikistan

Both quarter final oppenents have world bronze medals (nevin has 2).

Adam Nolan - Welterweight
    Last 32 - Sanchez (Ecuador)
    Last 16 - China/Russia
    Last 8 - Brazil/USA/India

Russian is dormer world silver medallist. Indian has won bronze. Tought, but not the worst draw

Darren O'Neill - Middlewieght
    Last 16 - Hartle (Germany)
    Last 8 - Ukraine/Britain

Ukrainian is the current world champion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Skid wrote: »
    Vinokourov who won Gold was banned for doping for two years in 2007.

Shame to see cheats winning.

Except we don't know that he's cheated to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    O'Neill fought well, but the Nigerian wasn't much competition to be fair.

didnt think he was that bad imo, o neil opened up a bit in the 2nd round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Skid wrote: »
    Vinokourov who won Gold was banned for doping for two years in 2007.

Shame to see cheats winning.

That's not to good to hear. Why did you have to go and ruin it?! The commentary was that of a veteran cyclist, who fought serious injury and came out if retirement. That's correct I guess. With a little help in-between. If things continue like half of day one, I'll need a pacemaker myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

So, thoughts on the first day overall for the Irish?

Positives: Both boxers looked good - draws are tough but we have a good chance of getting three or four of the men to the quarter finals and we'll take it from there. The great support for the Irish boxers in the arena shown today might be worth a couple of points when we really need it later on. Sounds like the eventers have been going well also.

Negatives: Cyclists failed to get into the mix in the road race, things didn't go well for Behan in gymnastics or Murphy in the pool and Kearney went out of the judo early despite a great effort.

It was very frustrating watching the BBC coverage of the judo focussing on one mat and seeing that the whole arena was watching Lisa (and chanting her name) as she was competing on the other mat but not being able to see what was going on.

Their coverage of the road race was dire also, an awful mix of bad commentators and lack of on screen information. The shock and horror of the commentators when they finally realised that it wasn't working out for 'Team GB' was quite amusing though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What a great finish to the Archery. Well done Italy

If you haven't been watching the men's team archery, you've missed a treat...no joke, great viewing. The tension was something else. South Korea with only bronze after their world record form in qualification.

KevIRL wrote: »
    What a great finish to the Archery. Well done Italy

Really great viewing wasn't it!? Makes me want to give it a try.

• Advertisement

Dan man wrote: »

Fantastic stuff. Great sport to watch, really surprising actually I thought it would be a poor watch ala shooting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

You should, great activity. You'd appreciate what they are achieving there if you had a go.

Fantastic stuff. Great sport to watch, really surprising actually I thought it would be a poor watch ala shooting

I was shouting at the screen, surprised at how watchable it was....imagine if there was someone local to support, my nerves would be shattered. Top marks to archery from me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Glad I'm not the only one that's considering giving it a go after watching that!

Excellent spectacle all day. Little disappointed that the US lost out after bringing it so close in the end.

Watching Fencing at the moment, and the commentary is excellent. They took time out to explain the rules and how everything works. Actually a pretty good watch. :)

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You should, great activity. You'd appreciate what they are achieving there if you had a go.

It looks amazingly difficult, the target is a lot further off than you'd imagine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It looks amazingly difficult, the target is a lot further off than you'd imagine.

I think they said at one point it was the length of a soccer pitch away... :eek:

Glad I'm not the only one that's considering giving it a go after watching that!

Excellent spectacle all day. Little disappointed that the US lost out after bringing it so close in the end.

Watching Fencing at the moment, and the commentary is excellent. They took time out to explain the rules and how everything works. Actually a pretty good watch. :)

Maybe we could lead a tilt at qualifying an Irish team for the 2020 Games :D
    Let's not fool ourselves for a second, Rio 2016 is way too soon. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yep, and you have to constantly aware of wind and how it will affect the drop off.
    Would love if there was a range near me, I have a go every chance I get.

I think they said at one point it was the length of a soccer pitch away... :eek:

70m is the distance....to be so accurate over that distance, taking in the wind factor and given that the smallest movement when releasing the arrow can take it away from the target, it's mind-boggling to think how accurate those elite guys are. What size is that cente ring, anyone know?

Frangilli from Italy 150/1 to win the singles. Surely worth a euro.

• Advertisement

70m is the distance....to be so accurate over that distance, taking in the wind factor and given that the smallest movement when releasing the arrow can take it away from the target, it's mind-boggling to think how accurate those elite guys are. What size is that cente ring, anyone know?

IIRC the Beeb's commentators said ~12cm.
    Google tells me that the entire target itself is 122cm... which from a distance of 70m is really small...

Yeah, I think 2020 is the more realistic aim for us. Don't want to be cocky like! :pac:

Frangilli from Italy 150/1 to win the singles. Surely worth a euro.

That's very generous odds....what about the first Italian guy, can't remember his name, Nestori I think? What's his price? He was a cool customer.

That's very generous odds....what about the first Italian guy, can't remember his name, Nestori I think? What's his price? He was a cool customer.

Italian individual odds below (all PP)

Nespoli 66/1
    Frangilli 150/1
    Galiazzo 200/1

Considering they are team champions these would seem very generous indeed

Italian individual odds below (all PP)

Nespoli 66/1
    Frangilli 150/1
    Galiazzo 200/1

Considering they are team champions these would seem very generous indeed

And Frangilli was Olympic champion in 2004 and Galiazzo was World Champion in 2003....they have a great record of success.

And Frangilli was Olympic champion in 2004 and Galiazzo was World Champion in 2003....they have a great record of success.

A couple of Euro each way on them all so.

Now to find my Italian flag ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Where is Gary O'Toole???

If anyone else doesnt have red button (like me, damn you UPC!), there's a site showing all the sports in separate categories and can be viewable up to 120mins after broadcast!

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html[/QUOTE]
    Excellent quality. Thank you.

Lochte blew away the field in the men's 400m individual medley final....Phelps only 4th!

Wow major surprise @ Phelps

• Advertisement

Sorry for sounding like a broken record but where is O'Toole? Has he fallen out with RTE..?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement