Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karting General Discussion -All Karting questions in here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Oh you can go flat out all the way at Watergrassshill in a rental alright. Yes, even the second corner. It's just not going to net you a quick lap time. That's that I was getting at.

You can't, a friend thought that too for the second corner and went straight into the tyre barrier. You can take the first corner flat, and maybe the third but that's it. There isn't enough run off on the rest of them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Now granted its been '04 or '05 since I ran a hire kart around there, but it looks like they have more run off then ever at the track. In both the twin GX160 karts and the Thunderkart engines they had you could do it. Turn in sooner, harder and get it unstuck. Expect to be coming out of there pretty slow though.

I agree its a great track. Deceptively simple "looking" layout but has a great great rhythm to it. Always loved racing there. First decent track we got TBH. First corner in an FA was always a pucker up moment haha. Every lap wondering if you'll end up with a conrod in your elbow or not. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Now granted its been '04 or '05 since I ran a hire kart around there, but it looks like they have more run off then ever at the track. In both the twin GX160 karts and the Thunderkart engines they had you could do it. Turn in sooner, harder and get it unstuck. Expect to be coming out of there pretty slow though.

I agree its a great track. Deceptively simple "looking" layout but has a great great rhythm to it. Always loved racing there. First decent track we got TBH. First corner in an FA was always a pucker up moment haha. Every lap wondering if you'll end up with a conrod in your elbow or not. Good times.

Scrubbing counts as braking! :pac:

Daniel S wrote: »
    Scrubbing counts as braking! :pac:

If ya wanna be that pedantic, good luck doing a lap without scrubbing with no diff :D
    How's the FS going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mountainpeake

are there any race tracks near Zurich, Switzerland that have a good circuit? any races around that area? where would be the best place to race if i was located in Zurich?

• Advertisement

Tullyallen Winter Series OnBoards. Rotax Senior?.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGsuMO9RsGc&feature=player_detailpage#t=139s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tofKNCD66VY&feature=player_detailpage#t=108s

Mountainpeake I have no idea where to start for Karting in Switzerland, sorry.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Was at a nice track here in the states last night. Good 4 stroke kart`s with a simple indoor track. Got black flagged for lets say overly aggressive driving :pac:

"DIIIEEE BITTCH!!!!"

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Was at a nice track here in the states last night. Good 4 stroke kart`s with a simple indoor track. Got black flagged for lets say overly aggressive driving :pac:

Whereabouts are you in the states?

The man is addicted to racing, he just cant give up I guess.

• Advertisement

Irish driver Charlie Eastwood just won Rotax Senior at the Rotax worlds..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Irish driver Charlie Eastwood just won Rotax Senior at the Rotax worlds..

How did Shane Daly get on?

How did Shane Daly get on?

I think he got taken out. Don't quote me on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kartincolin

Hello people

I have just bought a Rotax Max kart and am hoping to do the national championship next year. I was just wondering would anybody be able to tell me what front an rear sprockets would be the best for the tracks in Tynagh, Kiltorcan and Cork (Watergrasshill). Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, as I learn a little bit about kart setup every time I go out with it! :)

If you ae able to help, please feel free to email me at: shirley45@eircom.net

I have no idea myself but you could try the karting groups on facebook, tullyallen, motorsport ireland etc. Also you could call the tracks, usually somebody there will know what gearing you can start with.

I could probably find out ratios for Athboy and Santry.

Hello SouperComputer

If you could get me a ratio for the track in Santry it would be massively helpful as I may be racing there soon as part of the Tullyallen winter championship. Thanks a lot for your help.

12:86 apparently.
    Any of the lads\lassies in tullyallen should be able to let you know.

Cheers SouperComputer

That could prove massively useful, thanks for that!

You have helped me out an awful lot and I am hugely grateful for your help. But now I`ve got another question for you :L

Do you know what the minimum weight requirement is for the Senior Rotax Max class in the Motorsport Ireland National Championship? I know that Tullyaleen`s is 170kg, but I have heard that this is quite a heavy minimum weight, but then again I am not too sure!

Haven't a clue. 160 comes to mind. Checkout motorsportireland.com
    Have you been to a couple of races yet? For sure you want to do that if you havent, chat with some people yadda yadda.

• Advertisement

I`m back again looking for help, this time it`s with my data logging system. I have a Mychron 4, which according to it`s price tag is supposed to be a great bit of kit, but I haven`t managed to get it to pick up my lap-times properly and consistently since I bought it.

I know that the magnetic sensor works, I know the temperature gauge works because it`s constantly changing and I know the RPM sensor works because the orange tattle comes on at the end of a long straight. The ba***** of a thing appears to have a mind of it`s own. It`s hugely frustrating because at the end of the day, when you are testing you make set-up alterations with the aim of getting better lap-times, and when you have no lap-times to work with, it makes things a lot more challenging.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Fresh battery? The 4's are VERY sensitive to that. I have a 3 gold with an IR beam pickup on my own kart so haven't been working with 4's a lot. I think my race kart for '13 has a 4 on it though.

Anybody at the track that can help, Murray Motorsport are a dealer I believe and might be able to offer advice.

Fresh battery? The 4's are VERY sensitive to that. I have a 3 gold with an IR beam pickup on my own kart so haven't been working with 4's a lot. I think my race kart for '13 has a 4 on it though.

Anybody at the track that can help, Murray Motorsport are a dealer I believe and might be able to offer advice.

Fresh batteries? Might be worth a shot. I`m 99% sure that it isn`t faulty, as everything works, it just refuses to consistently pick up my lap times.

I bought it of Murray Motorsport actually. By the way, are you doing the T-plate tomorrow by any chance?

I live in the US now, so no T plate for me. Maybe some day if I'm over, and they run KZ and I can get a kart :D
    Try a new battery. If you can afford the extra for a "lithium" one I've found it to be well worth it. Failing that have a chat with the folks at AIM or Murray Motorsport and they might have some magnetic beam timing pointers for you. Like I say I've only ever used the IR one so I don't have a lot to relay with the magnetic pickups.

GL at the T plate if you are doing it.

I live in the US now, so no T plate for me. Maybe some day if I'm over, and they run KZ and I can get a kart :D
    Try a new battery. If you can afford the extra for a "lithium" one I've found it to be well worth it. Failing that have a chat with the folks at AIM or Murray Motorsport and they might have some magnetic beam timing pointers for you. Like I say I've only ever used the IR one so I don't have a lot to relay with the magnetic pickups.

GL at the T plate if you are doing it.

I had a great day`s racing at the T-Plate, and I`m starting to make great progress with both my setups and my driving.

Do you still race in the US?

I am (yet again) looking for answers to beginner`s questions.

I have noticed that the majority of my competitors tape up part of their radiators on their engine, even if it is not a wet day. What is the purpose of this, and what effect does it have (if any)?

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/224836_558486510846777_1420498728_n.jpg

I am (yet again) looking for answers to beginner`s questions.

I have noticed that the majority of my competitors tape up part of their radiators on their engine, even if it is not a wet day. What is the purpose of this, and what effect does it have (if any)?

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/224836_558486510846777_1420498728_n.jpg

Keep the engine warm or get it warm quickly.

Daniel S wrote: »
    Keep the engine warm or get it warm quickly.

Thanking you.

I had a great day`s racing at the T-Plate, and I`m starting to make great progress with both my setups and my driving.

Do you still race in the US?

Yeah I mostly run a KZ on the long tracks over here. I have a KF to play with, might take that out to the local track for practice if I can find the funds.

• Advertisement

Just wondering where people who have a GoPro camera put them on their karts? I was considering putting mine on the radiator, gives a fantastic angle!

Advertisement