Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Yep, it's my fault that I'm receiving the same ****ty services as I always did.
    I won't miss what I never had.

Throw up your home location and local authority website there and let's see what services you claim you 'don't have'. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

alastair wrote: »
    Throw up your home location and local authority website there and let's see what services you claim you 'don't have'. :rolleyes:

Na,:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

the local authorities have adequate funds to provide all services.....they are just not spending it wisely....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

That'd be right in good old Ireland ok, more taxes on business owners using non-collection of the HHC as cover.

So that'll be more taxes on middle Ireland, decreasing the amount of disposable income they have to spend in the local economy.

More taxes and rates on shops and other businesses forcing them to close and put more people on the dole.

Not to mention upward only rent reviews.

And it'll be all because this incompetent government couldn't collect €60 or €70 million in a HHC?

A government devoid of ideas apart from more taxes on the people who elected them.

Who's sorry now?

Or in other words making those that broke the law face the consequences for doing so. Unfortunately others have to pay for them breaking the law too.

the local authorities have adequate funds to provide all services.....they are just not spending it wisely....

Really how so?

• Advertisement

Na,:rolleyes:

Vacuous bluster it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

donalg1 wrote: »
    Really how so?

Maybe a drive through Dundalk would explain a lot to you about waste.
    Stupid bicycle lanes put in and then changed several times.
    A new paved Market Square put in and then dug up again twice for unexplained reasons thus creating traffic havoc. Why they can't get it right first time is amazing.
    Don't live in the town but if I did I would be even more reluctant to pay.

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/community/chapel-st-cycle-lane-crazy-1-3766122

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

So that'll be more taxes on middle Ireland, decreasing the amount of disposable income they have to spend in the local economy.
    So what would your alternative be instead of higher taxes?

Cut social welfare? Cut public sector income? Surely these measures (which will happen) will also mean less money circulating in the economy?

A government devoid of ideas apart from more taxes on the people who elected them.

Who's sorry now?
    I suppose anyone who thought FG had a magical solution which would let us all live happily ever after might be sorry. But many of us recognized that the scale of our problems was such that no political party was likely to make things noticeably better anytime soon. (Mind there were some who could have made things a whole lot worse)

Really how so?

the are not spending the money where it is needed..........

Maybe a drive through Dundalk would explain a lot to you about waste.
    Stupid bicycle lanes put in and then changed several times.
    A new paved Market Square put in and then dug up again twice for unexplained reasons thus creating traffic havoc. Why they can't get it right first time is amazing.
    Don't live in the town but if I did I would be even more reluctant to pay.

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/community/chapel-st-cycle-lane-crazy-1-3766122

So by not putting in this cycle lane Dundalk county council would have had enough funding to fix every road in the county, and ensure there was no leaks in any of the water pipes and fix the ones that were leaking, continue to then provide free water for the people of Dundalk.

Yes there is waste but to claim LA's have more than enough money to fund all its services and that this money is simply being wasted is a load of sh1te really. Most LA's are struggling to stay afloat now due to the lack of money they receive so there is no way in the world anyone can claim they have enough and are p1ssing it against the wall.

• Advertisement

the are not spending the money where it is needed..........

And where is that then? Where has the money been mis spent and where should it have been spent. You claim the LA's have enough money to cover all their services fully but are wasting it so I would be interested to hear how you came to this conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Really how so?

Well take Longford co co for example. This pea sized county has a town mayor, a county mayor and Granard (A one street village) has its own mayor. They all have offices, secretaries and all associated expenses costing thousands upon thousands and as other have pointed Longford regularly spends a fortune resurfacing streets and putting in new pavements and plazas only to dig them up the moment they are finished. Sort this out and then see if you need my money i can ill afford.

Well take Longford co co for example. This pea sized county has a town mayor, a county mayor and Granard (A one street village) has its own mayor. They all have offices, secretaries and all associated expenses costing thousands upon thousands and as other have pointed Longford regularly spends a fortune resurfacing streets and putting in new pavements and plazas only to dig them up the moment they are finished. Sort this out and then see if you need my money i can ill afford.

And again if they stopped this chances are they still wouldnt have enough money to cover all the services they are supposed to provide. The whole point of the HHC or Property tax is to provide LA's with a steady stream of income that will give them a predictable yield year on year.

And where is that then? Where has the money been mis spent and where should it have been spent. You claim the LA's have enough money to cover all their services fully but are wasting it so I would be interested to hear how you came to this conclusion.

salaries
    pensions
    fuel
    vehicles
    electricity
    offices
    the list where they can save money is endless...

just as the taxpayer has to cut down in hard times....so can they....

salaries
    pensions
    fuel
    vehicles
    electricity
    offices
    the list where they can save money is endless...

just as the taxpayer has to cut down in hard times....so can they....

Salaries and Pensions cant be touched as per CPA.

Fuel and Vehicles I dont understand are you saying they should not put fuel in their vehicles and leave them sit idly in the car park and walk everywhere?

Electricity? Are they to turn off some of the lights in the offices or maybe disconnect their phones for a few hours each day or their PC's?

As far as I am aware they have cut down already in some areas, bin services are gone in a lot of LA's and no more Temp Staff are employed there anyone on a contract didnt have it renewed. I am sure there are many other areas where savings have been made in line with the CPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ANGRY IRISH SLAVE

syklops wrote: »
    When I was on orientation, the Director of Finance(himself a Cork man) said, if Ireland increased corporation tax, they would move operations to Zurich. Zurich is in Switzerland. Switzerland does not have the Euro and is one of the strongest currencies in the world.

Also:
    Minimum wage in Ireland = 8.65 euro
    Minimum wage in Switzerland = 0 euro.
    I live in Switzerland and it does not have an official minimum wage, but as a result of having 95% employment here the unofficial minimum wage is around 25CHF or 20 Euro per hour.

Also Switzerland generates a lot of its wealth by allowing every corrupt politician (Middle eastern and Irish alike) and ex Anglo Irish bank workers and so on, a place to store their stolen wealth.

In one way it’s a fair comparison in that Ireland allows greedy corporations to avoid paying taxes in the jurisdictions where they make their profits technically acting like a Swiss bank for tax money owed.

It is dirty money and Ireland is rich enough to live without it if we actually invested in education and our natural resources and got rid of our corrupt, wasteful, self-orientated and useless political overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ANGRY IRISH SLAVE

We have property taxes they are called income tax on the earnings you use to buy your property, or the capitol gains tax you pay if you inherit it or sell it, this double and tripple taxation is bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Really how so?

Removing a roundabout in Skehard Road, next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Well your rates are most likely going to be increased as a result of the poor collection rate of the HHC if you believe some of what they say, which personally I dont think is very fair as it is targetting people who are trying to make a living. Granted you dont care but the person in the shop beside yours who has paid their hhc may not be so eager to close up shop and stick one finger up at Phil.

They can quadruple it if they want. I'll be happy to pay my business rates until I can no longer afford it. I knew what I was getting into when I became self employed in this country. hhc is different, they are backing me in a corner in defense of my family home. No Minster, council official ,judge, sheriff will scare me into paying one red cent of this 100 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭karlth

alastair wrote: »
    So - 100% of deposit savings and government bonds intact. But how much are those savings now worth in purchasing terrms? The króna is worth about a third of what it did before the banks crashed. That's a pretty meaningless 100% if it's only worth a third of what it once did.

Depends on what they are buying. Most goods and services have followed inflation (4.5% this year but around 8% on average since 2008). That is of course the downside of having your own currency, it falls when times get tough. The upside is though that unemployment is only at 4.4%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So by not putting in this cycle lane Dundalk county council would have had enough funding to fix every road in the county, and ensure there was no leaks in any of the water pipes and fix the ones that were leaking, continue to then provide free water for the people of Dundalk.

Yes there is waste but to claim LA's have more than enough money to fund all its services and that this money is simply being wasted is a load of sh1te really. Most LA's are struggling to stay afloat now due to the lack of money they receive so there is no way in the world anyone can claim they have enough and are p1ssing it against the wall.

If they were struggling then would they put in and then revamp cycle lanes?
    Would they put in and pave a new Market Square at a cost of millions and then dig it up again twice ?
    They would stay afloat by properly planning and costing and making sure it was done right and within budget in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

So while the deficit is huge the Yes side will argue that it would be better to just pay the HHC rather than take this opportunity to reduce all the waste in the PS, LA's etc?

:confused:

Would they put in and pave a new Market Square at a cost of millions and then dig it up again twice ?
    They would stay afloat by properly planning and costing and making sure it was done right and within budget in the first place.

They should of course make proper plans to get it done right in the first place however some time the contractors that win the tender can make a balls of the job and therefore it needs to be redone more than likely at the contractors expense and so doesnt cost the LA any more than originally agreed.

Dub XV wrote: »
    So while the deficit is huge the Yes side will argue that it would be better to just pay the HHC rather than take this opportunity to reduce all the waste in the PS, LA's etc?

:confused:

Well I would argue that the HHC should be paid because its the law and its not up to a citizen to decide what laws they do or dont abide by, if that was allowed to happen where would we be then. Agree with it or not it has to be paid. The waste should be stopped but that is a completely seperate issue from the legalities of non payment of the HHC.

You're seriously proposing that Louth Co Council isn't struggling financially - because they ****ed up a cycle lane?

The Council pulled in two million in EU funding for the Square redevelopment btw - seems like they're not lacking initiative for a body that 'provide no services', eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Regarding waste/bin charges.

Could someone explain why the LA's got rid of their refuse/bin collection services?

Surely if the private companies can make a handsome profit on these services, the LA's could have too.

Or is the fact that PS employees are so overpaid compared to the 'real' world and so entrenched in their unions with a sense of entitlement that making a profit was impossible?

Nail on the head there I'd reckon and it's the same throughout our 'glorious' PS/CS.

kr7 wrote: »
    Regarding waste/bin charges.

Could someone explain why the LA's got rid of their refuse/bin collection services?

They became unaffordable within their level of funding.

Salaries and Pensions cant be touched as per CPA.

Fuel and Vehicles I dont understand are you saying they should not put fuel in their vehicles and leave them sit idly in the car park and walk everywhere?

Electricity? Are they to turn off some of the lights in the offices or maybe disconnect their phones for a few hours each day or their PC's?

As far as I am aware they have cut down already in some areas, bin services are gone in a lot of LA's and no more Temp Staff are employed there anyone on a contract didnt have it renewed. I am sure there are many other areas where savings have been made in line with the CPA.

there is nothing that can't be touched.....

of course the people that benifit wont touch it......

an elected government has the right to do whatever it needs to........

there is a lack of will on their part......

and for that reason i would not pay the charge.....

Ghandee wrote: »
    The HHC never was a HHC.

it was simply a registration exercise so they'd know who to send the bills to with this upcoming tax (and to add insult, they charged you to later shaft you)

I for one am glad I never registered, and I hope all that did, and now see (what we all predicted) the €100 quickly turning into €1000 are proud of themselves.

This tax won't just 'go away' by whinging about it, BUT, by refusing to cooperate (i.e not paying it) it might just.

Your country needs you folks. (while ministers pick up a variety of pensions)

Forget banana republic, we're living in a potato one :rolleyes:
    So many people cant afford to pay. Those who did will have their services cut as well as those who didnt.
    Who do we vote for in the next election?
    I voted for FG but regret it now, they are no better than FF maybe even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Well I would argue that the HHC should be paid because its the law and its not up to a citizen to decide what laws they do or dont abide by, if that was allowed to happen where would we be then. Agree with it or not it has to be paid. The waste should be stopped but that is a completely seperate issue from the legalities of non payment of the HHC.

Are you being serious there?

Fcuk me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement