Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Just want to say thanks to all for the info in this thread in particular, PogMoThoin. I've been thinking of binning my upc and I think this is the box for me.

Just looking on satworld.ie and the advert seems to suggest the box they sell is now preloaded with Enigma2.

I'm quite tech savvy but all of this is a bit overwhelming just reading it today, have read the whole thread now.

I'll keep reading up on things before I purchase so I know what I'm at when I get it.

Would prefer to get one with a T2 tuner though just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Im on the verge of buying. The Golden media triplex seems to be cheaper online than the amiko ailen. Is the only difference the casing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭championc

snaps wrote: »
    Im on the verge of buying. The Golden media triplex seems to be cheaper online than the amiko ailen. Is the only difference the casing?

Amiko has a faster processor. Not sure if GM has a T2 option.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭westerlywonder

superg wrote: »

Just looking on satworld.ie and the advert seems to suggest the box they sell is now preloaded with Enigma2.

I bought my box through satworld. Setting it up has not been without its problems. In fact i am still having issues with it.

Satworld have told me that by installing a 3rd party image on the box, such as HDMU. The guarantee becomes invalid, thus any faults you may have with the box after this are considered your fault.

Considering the amount of problems people have had with this box you may consider some of the other vendors as i think they may offer better support.
    I am not suggesting that you will have issues, but certainly from what i have read, these boxes do not react the same for everyone, and so it might be good to have some support if you are unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I bought my box through satworld. Setting it up has not been without its problems. In fact i am still having issues with it.

Satworld have told me that by installing a 3rd party image on the box, such as HDMU. The guarantee becomes invalid, thus any faults you may have with the box after this are considered your fault.

Considering the amount of problems people have had with this box you may consider some of the other vendors as i think they may offer better support.
    I am not suggesting that you will have issues, but certainly from what i have read, these boxes do not react the same for everyone, and so it might be good to have some support if you are unlucky.

There is no support from any vendor for 3rd party firmware, you always do so at your own risk. This is the same with any device/phone/tablet/sat box. It's madness to expect support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

championc wrote: »
    Amiko has a faster processor. Not sure if GM has a T2 option.

Amiko is clocked @ 450MHZ, Golden Media @ 540MHZ, latest GM Triplex have T2 tuners.

Regards

stanley1 wrote: »
    Amiko is clocked @ 450MHZ, Golden Media @ 540MHZ, latest GM Triplex have T2 tuners.

Regards

Only in Spark. They will both be clocked the same in Enigma, You can even overclock if you wish (if you dare)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

stanley1 wrote: »

Regards

I'm still lurking and still trying to work out what's not to like about the Golden Media box vs the Amiko Alien triple tuner. Can someone help me out here . . .

Are there plugins/add-ons that only work with the Amiko Alien that will greatly enhance my experience?

The GM has DVB-T2 while the Amiko Alien (or at least some of them that I've seen) only has DVB-T. I know there's no DVB-T2 to watch at the moment, but when there is it would be handy to have a box that supports it. The GM appears to be cheaper too.

So - it's cheaper, has a "better" terrestrial tuner & it uses the same chipset and OS. Am I trying to find a problem when there's none there?

z

Thanks for the advice but it's like most things so. When I first got my phone I rooted it and began flashing custom roms on it straight away. I always had a backup image of its factory delivered state so if anything happened I could restore it and send it back.

I presume the same is possible with these boxes?

Anyway if enigma 2 is already on it, what would I need to be flashing to it that may mess it
    up?

I'm still not totally sold on all this anyway, seems like a lot of work,the lazy man in me would just like to buy something that I can just plug in and watch, the Internet capabilities and triple tuner attracted me to this, along with possibilities for cs but from reading elsewhere that party may be on the road to the end.

More research for me before I bin UPC :-)

FFS people, the boxes are identical, made in the same factory, all that differs is the case. The newer Amiko's are T2 also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks for the clarification. I just thought since the thread title specifically just refers to the Amiko Alien that there was something else to it. Glad that's sorted - thanks.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification. I just thought since the thread title specifically just refers to the Amiko Alien that there was something else to it. Glad that's sorted - thanks.

z

The main reason I was looking at the Amiko over the GM was ease of returning it to satworld if it was faulty and also the pre installed Enigma2. There's also the SAB as mentioned on the first page which is on sale in Dublin too but dearer then both the others.

I'll probably get the GM myself cos I'd like some level of future proofing that the T2 would give.

The main reason I was looking at the Amiko over the GM was ease of returning it to satworld if it was faulty and also the pre installed Enigma2. There's also the SAB as mentioned on the first page which is on sale in Dublin too but dearer then both the others.

I'll probably get the GM myself cos I'd like some level of future proofing that the T2 would give.

You can get T2 Amiko's also

PogMoThoin wrote: »

You can get T2 Amiko's also

Yeah. I saw them on ebay from a UK seller, not at an attractive price though. Not available in Ireland yet it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

FFS people, the boxes are identical, made in the same factory, all that differs is the case. The newer Amiko's are T2 also.

Identical.

Amiko 2

242560.jpg

GM Tiplex

242561.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

STB wrote: »
    Identical.

Amiko 2

242560.jpg

GM Tiplex

242561.jpg

There is cable tie missing on the GM triplex's power cable at first glance hardly identical

hju6 wrote: »
    There is cable tie missing on the GM triplex's power cable at first glance hardly identical

Love it. :D Okay how about the remotes. Can you tell which one is which. :)

242567.jpg

242568.jpg

Every one has one

FBDCD626-9936-437D-85A5-D77E412C0817-460-000000429CC45D66_zps8b396464.jpg

Also on the triplex a ribbon cable on the main board topish left , is not identical :)

hju6 wrote: »
    Every one has one

Galaxy remote. Standard spark RC. Do you have one ?

• Advertisement

I assume the menu structure and the box firmwares are identifical too?

The GM doesnt seem to have as much support that I've seen, either from GM or forum's, presumably because you can just use the amiko stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

all Amiko images work on GM.

There is no support from any vendor for 3rd party firmware, you always do so at your own risk. This is the same with any device/phone/tablet/sat box. It's madness to expect support

Ah ha, sorry realised my comment may have been interpreted wrong. Obviously I do not expect the vendor to provide support for any 3rd party software installed, lol you are correct that indeed would be bizarre.
    What I am saying i that I have problems with the rear usb port. I have tried powered hard drives, kingston usb sticks, and other usb pens that all work on the front usb port but will not show up at all when connected to the rear port (either in spark or emigma).
    Because I have voided my guarantee by installing HDMU, i am now liable for any costs this may incur if i want to get it fixed.
    I consider that i have already over paid for this box in both money and time spent on it. So i am not prepared to have it fixed at my expense.
    The box is advertised as a dual boot STB, however you are basically voiding by using the enigma side as there is no official firmware.

Funny you should mention other devices, i have had a problem with a samsung phone previously where the charger port stopped working. When i brought it back to carphone warehouse, they did not claim that because i had installed 3rd party apps on the phone that I was responsible for the faulty charger port, and had it fixed for me.
    Thanks for the advice but it's like most things so. When I first got my phone I rooted it and began flashing custom roms on it straight away. I always had a backup image of its factory delivered state so if anything happened I could restore it and send it back.

I presume the same is possible with these boxes?

Anyway if enigma 2 is already on it, what would I need to be flashing to it that may mess it
    up?

Yes the box does allow backing up of the system, however it is more hardware issues i am having, and some others which i dont know how to describe:confused:

Enigma2 may be enabled on the STB you purchase. but i imagine you still have to flash one of the 3rd party images as HDMU to actually use it. Though i am not sure about this as this is not how my one came.

I still dont know if there is any other STb out there that can do what this one does on a good day. Others will definitely testify to that, however my experience hasnt been fantastic to date. i am still hopeful though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭championc

Could you not reboot it back into Spark, upgrade the Spark image to the latest - and then say "Enigma what" when asked ?

Or is there a way to wipe the Enigma2 image / partition ?

Mind you, since the official distributors are shipping units pre-loaded, does this mean that they are selling voided goods - surely not.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Depending on where you bought it from the support maybe different. I know that Lavatronics do install an E2 image into the partition, so if you purchased from them then i'm sure it will still be supported. I can't say the same for other retailers etc ..

You can also remove the Enigma2 from the partitions to get it back to a 'factory' state.
    When you stick your USB devices into the box (rear port) do a lsusb command in telnet and see what it comes up with ...
    You can also use dmesg command in telnet to see if the box can see the devices.

championc wrote: »
    Could you not reboot it back into Spark, upgrade the Spark image to the latest - and then say "Enigma what" when asked ?

Or is there a way to wipe the Enigma2 image / partition ?

Mind you, since the official distributors are shipping units pre-loaded, does this mean that they are selling voided goods - surely not.

C

I can easily boot back into spark yes, however I am not sure how i would go about trying to wipe the enigma2 partition, and or if i would end up doing even more damage.
    I also may have stupidly hinted at the fact that I had flashed an enigma image when I was on to the supplier...

I am unsure if official vendors are selling enigma2 images pre loaded, or just boxes that have the enigma2 upgrade plugin enabled... prehaps someone who has bought one can provide more informantion

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Depending on where you bought it from the support maybe different. I know that Lavatronics do install an E2 image into the partition, so if you purchased from them then i'm sure it will still be supported. I can't say the same for other retailers etc ..

You can also remove the Enigma2 from the partitions to get it back to a 'factory' state.
    When you stick your USB devices into the box (rear port) do a lsusb command in telnet and see what it comes up with ...
    You can also use dmesg command in telnet to see if the box can see the devices.

thanks will try this tonight.

Also I have seen the lavatronics guys on other forums and have to say their support is very good, from that alone i would recommend buying with them.
    My comments are only for those intending to buy from the irish supplier.

At one stage I was fully convinced I had a hardware fault, but now Enigma is working perfect. See my post in this very thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82306560&postcount=123
    I am now 100% happy with mine

You can ship the box to me if you wish, I will have a play with it and clone my own Enigma install onto it. I'm in the trade, I will ship it back to you when done, the only expense will be postage (should be about 15 quid each way).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The 'olds' bought one of these recently. After some extended time trying to setup. It appeared that the box was not dual booting. i.e. It would not hold Enigma as default boot OS. Bought it from Irish Retailer so i restored her back to factory. Explicitly told them that I had tried numorous times to install enigma (as it is dual boot) and that as far as i was concerned the unit had a flash problem.

Im unsure as to if they repaired or replaced it but it came back with an enigma image on it so it was now working. Anyway ditched that image as i didnt like it, now running HDMU and its up and running properly.

Alot more work in these units than my Vu+ Duo, so still on the fence about them overall.

1 thing that has become apparent though is subtle picture freeze on it every 5 or 10 minutes or so.

Has anyone come across this ? Im putting it down to pause record on the limited 4Gb flash usb ive put on it. But that may be me just projecting. Ordered a larger 32Gb for it just to retain that function.

Or is it possibly Dish allignment ?

Any thoughts are appreciated. I dont recall seeing the freezing at my place. So could be dish ? Il have to retest.

Anyone else experienced this....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What I am saying i that I have problems with the rear usb port. I have tried powered hard drives, kingston usb sticks, and other usb pens that all work on the front usb port but will not show up at all when connected to the rear port (either in spark or emigma).
    Because I have voided my guarantee by installing HDMU, i am now liable for any costs this may incur if i want to get it fixed.
    I consider that i have already over paid for this box in both money and time spent on it. So i am not prepared to have it fixed at my expense.
    The box is advertised as a dual boot STB, however you are basically voiding by using the enigma side as there is no official firmware.

I find it extraordinary that any supplier can claim voiding of hardware warranty because of an addition of an operating system .... which is effectively what is done.

No doubt they do not need to offer 'support' for the additional OS, but how they can claim the warranty is void is quite beyond me.

I believe they cannot legally do so ..... but that is just an (possibly uninformed) opinion ......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement