Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sattvfan

The latest one i think, HDMU_10640, I know most of the rest of you seem not to be having the same problems but i can assure you this does not ease my frustration! lol
    The box is definitely more sluggish in enigma for me, and does not respond well to the remote. It is not the batteries, as i only have the box a week, and the remote is actually very sensitive in spark.
    Anyway even if the plugins were working I really need to be able to record to my NSA, so until i can properly mount a netowrk share HDMU is a non runner for me.

I got the same problem very slow indeed, very half finished to me Enigma, don't know why everyone raves about it, not even blind scan which is mad

Odd way of getting to another satellite also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

sattvfan wrote: »

I can't see that as I'm not registered.

See, I think you expected Enigma to be an off the shelf solution, it's not, far from it. That is what Spark is trying to be. Enigma an enthusiasts hobby, it requires PC knowledge to setup and maintain. Linux images always need you to Telnet and FTP across files. You need to use Filezilla, connect using the IP address of the box using the username and password of the Satstation image.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I can't see that as I'm not registered.

See, I think you expected Enigma to be an off the shelf solution, it's not, far from it. That is what Spark is trying to be. Enigma an enthusiasts hobby, it requires PC knowledge to setup and maintain. Linux images always need you to Telnet and FTP across files. You need to use Filezilla, connect using the IP address of the box using the username and password of the Satstation image.

I am talking about Spark actually ! I can't get into Enigma mentally at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭westerlywonder

The batteries that ship with it are terrible, I noticed a good difference with Energisers

i dont think it is the batteries to be honest because even when i use the up down keys on the front of the box there is still sluggish movement through the menus.
    Anyway to be honest i could still get over the slower response from the box if the network drive was working. As i have said before this is key for me.

You point may still be valid on the shipped batteries though, i am sure the quality is not great

• Advertisement

I am talking about Spark actually ! I can't get into Enigma mentally at the moment

Sorry, mix up there, maybe need a seperate Spark thread. This one has been mostly Enigma for the last few weeks, most of the info here is on getting Enigma installed and running. I couldn't stand Spark, i just put up with it until there was stable Enigma images. The box only reaches its full potential with Enigma.

This is the method i used, and it worked for me.
    Did you format your usb to fat32 before you copied the xml file to it?

This is the method i used, and it worked for me.
    Did you format your usb to fat32 before you copied the xml file to it?

Oh yes

Sorry, i lied, i just remembered that i used my NSA and not a usb.
    Same method though, downloaded the xml file to my NSA,
    then opened menu>system>upgrade>database transformer> and then put in the path to the xml file on my NSA and then pressed the green button.

For this you obviously need to have your nsa set up with the STB

Also I bought a 64GB USB 3.0 drive to record on but it won't read it at all, bit disapointing :(

• Advertisement

Sorry, i lied, i just remembered that i used my NSA and not a usb.
    Same method though, downloaded the xml file to my NSA,
    then opened menu>system>upgrade>database transformer> and then put in the path to the xml file on my NSA and then pressed the green button.

For this you obviously need to have your nsa set up with the STB

What is an NSA ?!

What is an NSA ?!

a network storage area, basically a large hard drive that i have located on my network where i store pretty much everything. And anything connected on my network has access to everything on it. its connected via the ethernet port rather than the usb port

I have not tried to use a usb drive with the box apart from flashing it to enigma so i am afraid i cannot help you with your usb3 hard drive

Also I bought a 64GB USB 3.0 drive to record on but it won't read it at all, bit disapointing :(

I'm using a usb 3 drive no problems, you need to format it to another format then format it with the box after

a network storage area, basically a large hard drive that i have located on my network where i store pretty much everything. And anything connected on my network has access to everything on it. its connected via the ethernet port rather than the usb port

I have not tried to use a usb drive with the box apart from flashing it to enigma so i am afraid i cannot help you with your usb3 hard drive

Never heard of a nsa. Don't you mean NAS, network assisted storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭saorviewseeker

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Can't praise enigma enough.

Once you get the following working it's an excellent box:

Autobouquets
    Crossepg
    cooltvguide
    autotimer
    Icefilms

I use andrioddreamer to stream from the box to my tablet/phone - Anyone use a better app? dreamer is fine but basic.

Can I assume then that you have a full 7 day epg on both Sat and Terristrial? Are they integrated or is there two seperate EPG's?

How does this box's version of series link compare to SKY's? Are there any shortcomings?

According to the online manual, this supports digital teletext. Do this support the new RTE digital text.

Finally, I note that there is a version of this box with a DVB-Tuner and Enigma 2 installed. I have tried to source one here but they are not available.

Does this box update channel changes automatically?

See this model here

Never heard of a nsa. Don't you mean NAS, network assisted storage?

no i mean NSA, i have a zyxel NSA320. it is a network storage area, but i am sure some might also refer to it as a NAS

I'm using a usb 3 drive no problems, you need to format it to another format then format it with the box after

I am in spark of course...NTFS or Fat32 will not do it for me however in Enigma it see's it ok

I am in spark of course...NTFS or Fat32 will not do it for me however in Enigma it see's it ok

Come to think of it, i did have problems with the same usb drive in Spark. It would mount then disappear after a reboot. It is only in Enigma it works right, but i had to telnet in and format it before it mounted though.

Can I assume then that you have a full 7 day epg on both Sat and Terristrial? Are they integrated or is there two seperate EPG's?

How does this box's version of series link compare to SKY's? Are there any shortcomings?

According to the online manual, this supports digital teletext. Do this support the new RTE digital text.

Finally, I note that there is a version of this box with a DVB-Tuner and Enigma 2 installed. I have tried to source one here but they are not available.

Does this box update channel changes automatically?

See this model here

CrossEPG is the plugin that brings in Satellite Epg, it is handled by the box the same as terrestrial so EPG is all integrated in one.

It does not do MHEG5 so no new digital teletext, you will get the old Aertel teletext on the RTE channels on satellite (even if the channels doesn't work) as Sky still has it. Not sure how long it will work for though.

Autobouquets is the plugin which updates channel transponder changes automatically, you set it run on a schedule.

My advise is to flash E2 yourself using my guide, you will then know how it works, know the basic layout of the directories on the box, know where the plugins go and you won't be back here asking basic questions. If you're not capable of these basics, stick with Spark. Enigma is not an off the shelf solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

I'm in the process of configuring a 3rd box. Didn't have a clue doing the first but PogMoThoin's guide sorted me.

Have just reflashed E2 on this box because Autobouquets was crashing before it ran. I'll get it sorted eventually - Saw the same issue on box 2 but forget how I fixed it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Ok sorted it again. For anyone else who has the problem.

Before you run autobouquets find any channel on astra 2A (bbc for example) this allows dbvsnoop to get the data it needs to input into autobouquets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭championc

championc wrote: »
    A question for Linux guru's out there - is there any way to have the Auto Timer plugin running in maybe as a Cron job ? I keep forgetting to go back into the plugin to re-discover the next occurrances of programmes from the EPG. It would be perfect to run a Cron job in the backround daily :)

C

Finally got this sorted. Easy really

Load the AutoTimer Plugin and then, while in it, press MENU, then 4. Setup, and then set it to Poll Automatically

championc wrote: »
    Finally got this sorted. Easy really

Load the AutoTimer Plugin and then, while in it, press MENU, then 4. Setup, and then set it to Poll Automatically

Thanks for that

Come to think of it, i did have problems with the same usb drive in Spark. It would mount then disappear after a reboot. It is only in Enigma it works right, but i had to telnet in and format it before it mounted though.

I was an idiot I had the drive formatted in exFAT now works fine BUT still can't upload a satellites.xml file in Spark, guess there must be a bug with the lasest version ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭championc

I was an idiot I had the drive formatted in exFAT now works fine BUT still can't upload a satellites.xml file in Spark, guess there must be a bug with the lasest version ??

I never added a satellites.xml to Spark. I just scanned what the dish was pointing at. You only need it for Enigma2 I'm almost cettain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 brushdown

HI, Just put in a load of xmls in Spark on amiko alien 2. I was doing the same thing championc, scanning different sats,but found on station sat forum the downloads with sat xml settings files there. I downloaded the 'usals' one which has the favorites list all ready installed for many sats, including sly channels. I have my dish mounted on a camera tripod at the window in the room so I do not have to set up usals as I just move it by hand! Been doing it like that for many years with the old dreambox 7000.{80cm dish]. The satelittes run from 45' east to 30' west which is ideal for me as I can only pick up 6 or 7 on a good day!.. I had a problem with the usb loading the files into rhe database, so just ftp'd them to /storage/c/ [my ext. hdd] regards... brushdown

Anyone tell me how to ftp then in Spark ?

As some may have noticed I did'nt really get anywhere on the satstation forums asking about uploading the xml file. I found an excellent free prog btw called Dreambox tools which generartes all sats into a xml file but this still doesnt do it for me :(

So anyway for spark discussion only I have created a yahoo group http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/amikoalien/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I'm a member on that forum and to be fair your questions and answers were not overly helpful .... you strayed from one point to another and never really listened .... so i shall say this once .... You do not ftp satellites.xml file into Spark, Spark uses a different xml file from the ones created and hence will not work.

Satellites.xml is used on Enigma2 software, whereas Sat.xml is used in Spark and the 2 do not mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 brushdown

Hi Robxxx7, Thanks for clearing that up as a lot of people would be trying in vain to get things working. Very helpful post.

• Advertisement

How are you simply meant to switch satellites in Enigma ? Crazy setup, most of the buttons do nothing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement