Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

is anyone else having issues with icefilms?

for last few weeks clicking on a movreel link (usually my preferred) gives me a green screen, also most other link then dont play,

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

championc wrote: »
    I must look at the signal strength of Mux2 tonight but with a coat hangar in a TV in my kitchen, I am struggling to get the new RTE1 station. I never had an issue with the first one on Mux 1

I had to get a bigger UHF aerial, connect it up and do a scan.

I could then see the "new" RTE1 on Mux2. I then disconnected the aerial and was still able to use & view RTE1 on mux2 (albeit by moving the rabbit ears about a bit to get the best signal strength)

phobia2011 wrote: »

for last few weeks clicking on a movreel link (usually my preferred) gives me a green screen, also most other link then dont play,

Same with me last night, couldnt get anything I wanted to watch to play..

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

phobia2011 wrote: »
    zefer wrote: »
    Same with me... couldnt get anything I wanted to watch to play..

Are you guys using IceFilms via TSMedia or downloaded the plugin separately? I've spent too many hours now on TSMedia. Went back to v2.8 today because a previous poster said it was working. The o.e 2.0 version gave me bad magic number errors and over-wrote my OpenSSL folder and other stuff in the OpenWebIf folder... good thing I made a backup before installing. The o.e 1.6 version installed but it's hit and miss whether anything will work and you might be waiting ages for stuff to load.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

zefer wrote: »
    I had to get a bigger UHF aerial, connect it up and do a scan.

I could then see the "new" RTE1 on Mux2. I then disconnected the aerial and was still able to use & view RTE1 on mux2 (albeit by moving the rabbit ears about a bit to get the best signal strength)

What is really strange with me is that I can get it with Hyperion and not with AR-P.

Does anyone know which file the results of the scan are in as perhaps I could copy it to AR-P?

• Advertisement

Are you guys using IceFilms via TSMedia or downloaded the plugin separately?

Flex

Either or, I tried both Saturday night and the majority of the links didnt work (well at least for the 2 or 3 movies I tried)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

bappelbe wrote: »
    Does anyone know which file the results of the scan are in as perhaps I could copy it to AR-P?

An Enigma2 Channel and Bouquet list is composed of dozens of different files. The best thing to do would be to open up DreamBoxEdit when Hyperion is running and save the channel list from it then load that channel list again using DBEdit when you have AR-P running.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

Hi guys,

This thread is very informative. I have setup Championc's Hyperion-2 based Image on my box. (Had a few issues with USB thumb drive compatibility, but worked through it). I'm not sure how to view Saorview though. I seem to be stuck with the Astra 2 28.8 bouquet? Admittedly i haven't had much time to play with it, but it's not immediately apparent how to get saorview working?

FatBeard wrote: »
    Hi guys,

This thread is very informative. I have setup Championc's Hyperion-2 based Image on my box. (Had a few issues with USB thumb drive compatibility, but worked through it). I'm not sure how to view Saorview though. I seem to be stuck with the Astra 2 28.8 bouquet? Admittedly i haven't had much time to play with it, but it's not immediately apparent how to get saorview working?

You have to retune the saorview channels unless you are using the same mast as Championc.

to do this press menu, then select setup and service scan, then it is easiest if you select manual scan, select the terrestrial tuner (c on that image afaik) and scan the 2 frequencies needed (use "clear before scan" before the first scan) for the mast your aerial is pointing to.

bappelbe wrote: »
    You have to retune the saorview channels unless you are using the same mast as Championc.

to do this press menu, then select setup and service scan, then it is easiest if you select manual scan, select the terrestrial tuner (c on that image afaik) and scan the 2 frequencies needed (use "clear before scan" before the first scan) for the mast your aerial is pointing to.

Thanks bapelbe, i did figure out how to tune them, but even though they were tuned, i don't know how to access those channels. When i bring up the epg or favourites, i can only see the satellite channels.

• Advertisement

Thanks bapelbe, i did figure out how to tune them, but even though they were tuned, i don't know how to access those channels. When i bring up the epg or favourites, i can only see the satellite channels.

you can use Dreamboxedit from your windows machine on the same network

Alternatively press "OK" on the remote and using the coloured buttons find rtenl (or "recently scanned") select it and press "menu" which will give the option to add to bouquet. then you can use the menu options to edit where the channel order/ bouquet order etc.

Thanks, that's something i didn't try. I'll give it a go tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'm looking to dump UPC and get a saorview/freeview installation.

This Alien 2 STB looks like it's great as a media player, recorder and set top box, for both soarview and freeview/freesat.
    I love the linux hackability too.

But I see that it's doesn't support dvb-t2.
    Does that mean it won't support saorview program guide?
    I see a mention of a crossEPG plugin... so is that a valid workaround?

Or is there a newer model with dvb-t2 support available/coming out?

cheers,
    CD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I'm looking to dump UPC and get a saorview/freeview installation.

This Alien 2 STB looks like it's great as a media player, recorder and set top box, for both soarview and freeview/freesat.
    I love the linux hackability too.

But I see that it's doesn't support dvb-t2.
    Does that mean it won't support saorview program guide?
    I see a mention of a crossEPG plugin... so is that a valid workaround?

Or is there a newer model with dvb-t2 support available/coming out?

cheers,
    CD

Yes there are DVB-T2 models available, that's currently the one I'm using.

CrossEPG is a plugin used for gathering 7 day EPG information for satellite channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Yes there are DVB-T2 models available, that's currently the one I'm using.

Okay, cheers for that !
    There was a link on that page to an expert review which said one of the cons was that DVB-T2 wasn't supported. But it must've been a review of the dual tuner model and that threw me off.
    NUTZZ wrote: »
    CrossEPG is a plugin used for gathering 7 day EPG information for satellite channels.

Ah okay, I thought it was a workaround for not having full saorview support/MHEG5. I now see a few posts on getting that working.

Two minor questions, I'm pretty much sold on this...

Leaving out any potential noise/whirring from the external HDD, is the box noisy? Does it have an active cooling fan?

Also, when you record TV/movies to an external hard disk, are they encrypted or can you then copy them as normal video files (avi, mkv or the like) to other players/laptops?

cheers,
    CD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Two minor questions, I'm pretty much sold on this...

Leaving out any potential noise/whirring from the external HDD, is the box noisy? Does it have an active cooling fan?

Also, when you record TV/movies to an external hard disk, are they encrypted or can you then copy them as normal video files (avi, mkv or the like) to other players/laptops?

cheers,
    CD

The box doesn't make a sound at all, there is no fan as it's not required.

Recordings are in TS format and can be copied and played on other devices, there is no encryption.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭championc

It would be a pretty damn bad HDD to hear any whirling noise from one too. I just use a 500gb one which is simply USB powered so no additional power connections too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Box just arrived and I installed championcs image of Hyperion last night, I ordered an amiko WiFi dongle with it that works on spark, is it possible to get it working with Enigma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Kevin! wrote: »
    Box just arrived and I installed championcs image of Hyperion last night, I ordered an amiko WiFi dongle with it that works on spark, is it possible to get it working with Enigma?

Don't think so, most on here use homeplugs or ran a cable

smee again wrote: »
    Don't think so, most on here use homeplugs or ran a cable

Thats dissapointing, I would have thought it would support more wifi usb dongles rather than less, it being a community based linux app.

• Advertisement

Thats dissapointing, I would have thought it would support more wifi usb dongles rather than less, it being a community based linux app.

Enigma needs the specific driver to suit the wireless chip in the dongle, Spark already has this driver and does not work with other dongles. The community can only work if the manufacturer makes an open source driver available.

Enigma needs the specific driver to suit the wireless chip in the dongle, Spark already has this driver and does not work with other dongles. The community can only work if the manufacturer makes an open source driver available.

So the dongle (one of the official ones atleast) is based on the RT5370 chipset which is available out of the box with linux. Are you sure it's not supported?

So the dongle (one of the official ones atleast) is based on the RT5370 chipset which is available out of the box with linux. Are you sure it's not supported?

I'm sure no wireless dongle is supported on this version of Enigma for this box. Enigma is developed for other hardware (MIPS) and ported to this box (SH4)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 iacopoga

I'm sure no wireless dongle is supported on this version of Enigma for this box. Enigma is developed for other hardware (MIPS) and ported to this box (SH4)

Hi, I am using E2 Hyperion v2 (championc build) with my original Amiko Nano USB stick, this is well supported in the E2 wireless configuration using the ra7*** driver (cant't remember the name now but if you need it I can send you my config details). This was also working ok on HDMU that I tried some time ago on the same Alien2 triplex.
    The only trouble I found, was that I had to insert the stick in the rear USB port, configure the network settings, then move it to the front USB port. From the rear port it was losing connection evry other minute. On the front port could not recognize the stick, at the first installation.
    I hope it helps. :rolleyes:

iacopoga wrote: »
    Hi, I am using E2 Hyperion v2 (championc build) with my original Amiko Nano USB stick, this is well supported in the E2 wireless configuration using the ra7*** driver (cant't remember the name now but if you need it I can send you my config details). This was also working ok on HDMU that I tried some time ago on the same Alien2 triplex.
    The only trouble I found, was that I had to insert the stick in the rear USB port, configure the network settings, then move it to the front USB port. From the rear port it was losing connection evry other minute. On the front port could not recognize the stick, at the first installation.
    I hope it helps. :rolleyes:

I'm nearly sure you're the first person to post here about a working wireless adapter on Enigma. It's been asked here a few times. With this box being a port of Enigma it's unsure what is supported. There are about 4 different types of Amiko usb adapter though, all with different hardware, some don't even work very well with their own boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 iacopoga

I'm nearly sure you're the first person to post here about a working wireless adapter on Enigma. It's been asked here a few times. With this box being a port of Enigma it's unsure what is supported. There are about 4 different types of Amiko usb adapter though, all with different hardware, some don't even work very well with their own boxes.

well this is nice, be sure I'm not an Amiko salesman, I'm the one who struggles with stuff that doesn't work when it should; now it should not ...!!??

But this is the stick...
    this is my /var/config.wlan.conf:

wlan=rt5370

and /etc/enigma2/settings:

config.plugins.wireless.encryption.wpa2type=TKIP
    config.plugins.wireless.encryption.enabled=true
    config.plugins.wireless.encryption.type=WPA
    config.plugins.wireless.encryption.key=******
    config.plugins.wireless.adapter.mask=255.255.255.0
    config.plugins.wireless.adapter.ipaddress=192.168.1.101
    config.plugins.wireless.adapter.gateway=192.168.1.1
    config.plugins.wireless.essid=*******
    config.plugins.wireless.settings.WMode=11G-only

I'll keep my fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

Hi, great thread.

I`m thinking of getting the sab unix triple hd and was wondering are all the e2 images for the Amiko A2 compatible with the sab unix triple hd.

Vinnie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭championc

Yes they are BUT it would seem that some have struggled if the receiver wasn't Enigma enabled (by loading the Spark v 1.2.51e2) to begin with because you cannot load an Amiko Spark image onto a non-Amiko box.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I'm running championc Hyperion 2 image.

I've set 'local area selection' to 'Republic of Ireland HD' in Autobouquets and I've got pretty much every channel I'd expect except for RTE1.

I run a scan this evening to see if that would help but it didn't make a difference. Funny thing is, i've got RTE2, RTE2 hd , TV3 and TG4. I had it before, i only noticed yesterday it had disappeared.

I don't have a saorview aerial connected to the box.

Anyone else experiencing this or any hints/tips how to get RTE1 back?

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I'm running championc Hyperion 2 image.

I've set 'local area selection' to 'Republic of Ireland HD' in Autobouquets and I've got pretty much every channel I'd expect except for RTE1.

I run a scan this evening to see if that would help but it didn't make a difference. Funny thing is, i've got RTE2, RTE2 hd , TV3 and TG4. I had it before, i only noticed yesterday it had disappeared.

I don't have a saorview aerial connected to the box.

Anyone else experiencing this or any hints/tips how to get RTE1 back?

TIA
    People are having problems with rte1 today on sky, You could stick an aerial into the box and scan for the saorview channels. Saorview isn't affected.

Edit:just read its the same on saorview.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement