Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

gerryice wrote: »
    Hi Guys I have an Amiko Alien with Enigma2. Can someone tell me how to enable the recall last channel button as mine doesn't work.

Are you pressing 0? That works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gerryice

I have been using the recall button, but will try 0 tonight and thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JORY

reaper12 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am having a really strange problem. This evening I was watching TV fine and everything working perfect, I went away for an hour and there was an error on the screen saying tuner failed. No channels worked, so I thought that there might be a glitch in the software. I restarted the box and tried to do a service scan. No channels were found.

Then I was thinking, maye a corrupt image, I downloaded a new enigma2 image, a V3 Hyperion image, installed no problem, went to service scan, no channels found again. I tried downloading a new satellites.xml file, but that hasn't worked either.

It's not a problem with satellite or the tuners on the box itself, because when I go into spark everything works fine, I get all the channels perfect.

Anyone got any ideas? Or is there anyway to wipe the enigma2 side of the box completely?

I had the exact problem as you describe - Could not tune channels in enigma but channels would work in spark.

However in spark I could not record/pause.

The problem was a short(inner copper signal wire was pushed up against inner connector threaded housing) in one of the satellite connectors going into the back of the box.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Thanks to flex I got the rescue image up on my box ,

Although now Im having an issue trying ,

Im following the below instructions
    Spark firmware 1.2.51_E2_Boot_Upgrade released in 2012 made switching from booting an Alien2 between Enigma2 and Spark more reliable. Your Alien2 may or may not have come with this firmware already installed. For anyone having a problem with their Alien2 getting stuck on boot or getting into a boot loop when trying to boot into Enigma2 it's a good idea to try installing that firmware.

You can't download it anymore from the Spark Upgrade Menu because in summer 2013 Spark disabled downloading older firmware due a problem they had with the Spark Weather App. However you can download the 1.2.51_E2_Boot_Upgrade firmware from this site and then install it from a USB Key.

USB Upgrade Instructions

1. Unzip the download and place the folder in the root of a USB flash drive.
    2. Plug into the rear of Alien2.
    3. Go to MENU > SYSTEM > UPGRADE > UPGRADE FROM USB
    4. Leave upgrade type as “App”
    5. Arrow down to folder and press OK
    6. Navigate to the folder where the upgrade is, select the version.xml, press OK
    7. Press red key to start the upgrade

Once you have done that then you can upgrade via Spark online to the latest Spark firmware and try once more to install an enigma2 image using either a USB Key or using the E2 Upgrade plugin from within Spark.

Flex

But getting the error that shows in this video all the time , I used the same usb to load on the rescue file so cant see that being a major issue ,

The box is a Sab Unix Tripple HD would it make any difference that Im using the Amiko boot loader since there the exact same with different badges ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

But getting the error that shows in this video all the time , I used the same usb to load on the rescue file so cant see that being a major issue ,

The box is a Sab Unix Tripple HD would it make any difference that Im using the Amiko boot loader since there the exact same with different badges ?

While they are pretty much identical boxes hardware wise, the Spark firmware is slightly different on Sab, Golden Media, Amiko etc and is tied to the specific box. You have to use the correct firmware for your box or you will the get the mismatch error.

You will need the Sab Spark firmware, no other one will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

From the video it looks like you got Spark 1.2.68 on there. I had previously linked you a 1.2.65 SAB rescue image. Did you find a 1.2.68 for SAB?

As for 'Spark firmware 1.2.51_E2_Boot_Upgrade' as NUTZZ says it's probably not compatible with non Amiko Alien 2 boxes. But you might not need it at all if you got a working 1.2.68 firmware on your box. That E2 Boot Upgrade is meant to make it more stable when switching around with the dual boot but maybe that code is included in 1.2.68.. I'm not sure tbh. You could try emailing them at spark-tv.com though I wouldn't hold your breath for a response.

You may not need anything more except start loading on things like the e2upgrade plugin that makes it easy to flash and make backups of Enigma2 images. You could google around for that Spark plugin or it's on this site in a plugin pack.

Flex

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

From the video it looks like you got Spark 1.2.68 on there. I had previously linked you a 1.2.65 SAB rescue image. Did you find a 1.2.68 for SAB?

As for 'Spark firmware 1.2.51_E2_Boot_Upgrade' as NUTZZ says it's probably not compatible with non Amiko Alien 2 boxes. But you might not need it at all if you got a working 1.2.68 firmware on your box. That E2 Boot Upgrade is meant to make it more stable when switching around with the dual boot but maybe that code is included in 1.2.68.. I'm not sure tbh. You could try emailing them at spark-tv.com though I wouldn't hold your breath for a response.

You may not need anything more except start loading on things like the e2upgrade plugin that makes it easy to flash and make backups of Enigma2 images. You could google around for that Spark plugin or it's on this site in a plugin pack.

Flex

When the bootloader would not load , I went into Spark and upgraded to 1.2.68 thinking it may work that way ,

Il try to load on the enigma2 plugin to see if it works for me,

Thanks for the help folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

After reading the posts above I got to thinking. I brought my box off ebay from an Irish satellite seller. From memory it was around 160EUR or thereabouts which was cheap for a amiko alien 2 triple. Brand new in box. Thought it strange that it came with a euro plug but just assumed it was grey market and 5 minutes later I wired in a 3 pin that I had in the shed. But watching it boot up just the other day on the front LCD screen one of the things it says is TRIPLEX. Does this mean it isn't a proper Amiko Alien 2 triple?what settings do I need to go into to find out for sure?

To date I haven't had any problems loading up Champions image and following all of the various instructions for FTP etc so if a clone then its firmware must be pretty much the same. All the same be good to know so I don't brick it by putting something on in the future that might cause a conflict.

basill wrote: »
    After reading the posts above I got to thinking. I brought my box off ebay from an Irish satellite seller. From memory it was around 160EUR or thereabouts which was cheap for a amiko alien 2 triple. Brand new in box. Thought it strange that it came with a euro plug but just assumed it was grey market and 5 minutes later I wired in a 3 pin that I had in the shed. But watching it boot up just the other day on the front LCD screen one of the things it says is TRIPLEX. Does this mean it isn't a proper Amiko Alien 2 triple?what settings do I need to go into to find out for sure?

To date I haven't had any problems loading up Champions image and following all of the various instructions for FTP etc so if a clone then its firmware must be pretty much the same. All the same be good to know so I don't brick it by putting something on in the future that might cause a conflict.
    It's most likely genuine, triplex will flash up on certain images as they were designed for the golden media triplex but also run on the amiko as it's essentially the same box.

I think Triplex is Golden Media

http://sat-planet.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=146

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

The TRIPLEX shown at boot is part of the version of enigma2 you are running
    to find out which box you have look at the front panel if it is the same as the one in the first post of this thread it is an Amiko Allien2 if it has the letters GM then it is a Golden Media Triplex- the Sab presumably has that on the front panel.
    There is only a difference in the Spark for these machines - no difference for enigma

Found The Spark version for the Unix Triple HD , Il be joining the fun and games shortly I hope !

Here is the link for it

http://www.dvbstand.com/swd.php?id=984&mark=1

Also when loading had to change type from app to app+database+plugin

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jlong9

After a lot of messing around I updated TSmedia from v2.8 to v4.6 only to discover that non of the links work. Is this normal for TSmedia or do I need to change some settings within Chanpionc pkt image to get it working?

Bappelbe thanks for your reply I figured out what you ment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

jlong9 wrote: »
    After a lot of messing around I updated TSmedia from v2.8 to v4.6 only to discover that non of the links work. Is this normal for TSmedia or do I need to change some settings within Chanpionc pkt image to get it working?

Any time I have updated TS Media I have always had problems. I reverted back to v2.8 and all is good.

Back Again !

Trying to load Champions image to my box , where am I going wrong , put a video up as it explains it best I think !

All going well from about 1.00 until 1.45 mins

Back Again !

Trying to load Champions image to my box , where am I going wrong , put a video up as it explains it best I think !

All going well from about 1.00 until 1.45 mins

Your going about it all wrong. Go back and install the spark plugin pack flex mentioned a few posts back. This contains a e2 upgrade plugin. When you have the plugin installed its just a matter of copying the two files from champs image onto a usb and sticking it in the rear of the receiver, boot into spark and run the plugin, navigate to the folder containing the two files(this should be c/ if you placed the files on the root of the usb) and press the colour that corresponds to update enigma.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

JORY wrote: »
    I had the exact problem as you describe - Could not tune channels in enigma but channels would work in spark.

However in spark I could not record/pause.

The problem was a short(inner copper signal wire was pushed up against inner connector threaded housing) in one of the satellite connectors going into the back of the box.

Thank you, I don't know if that was the problem, but it came back working after a few more scans, not sure how, or why!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

jlong9 wrote: »

Bappelbe thanks for your reply I figured out what you ment.
    gazzer wrote: »
    Any time I have updated TS Media I have always had problems. I reverted back to v2.8 and all is good.

Yeah, I am having big problems with TSmedia too. I am on version 4.6, I updated from 4.2 because I was having trouble in 4.2 so I thought an update would fix this.

Here is a list of the problems that I am having.

1. It crashes out a lot!! Even just browsing through the various lists.

2. IF I do manage to get a stream playing, it stops after about 3-4 minutes and I have to restart it again. This is annoying.

3. I get a lot of errors about some subtitle plugin not installed. Though I believe that might be the stream and not tsmedia.

Gazzer, is 2.8 way better than other versions? Most of the streams work?

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Your going about it all wrong. Go back and install the spark plugin pack flex mentioned a few posts back. This contains a e2 upgrade plugin. When you have the plugin installed its just a matter of copying the two files from champs image onto a usb and sticking it in the rear of the receiver, boot into spark and run the plugin, navigate to the folder containing the two files(this should be c/ if you placed the files on the root of the usb) and press the colour that corresponds to update enigma.

Got her up and running thanks for all the help , Im sure Il be back !

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Anyone else having a problem tuning in RTE1 on Mux2?

Box finds 19 channels on mux1 but none of the channels on mux2 when scanning indivdual frequencies

Using rabbit ears which has perfect reception, no signal loss or breakup, looking at Three Rock and even tested Kippure as according to Saorview site, could be either

• Advertisement

zefer wrote: »
    Anyone else having a problem tuning in RTE1 on Mux2?

Box finds 19 channels on mux1 but none of the channels on mux2 when scanning indivdual frequencies

Using rabbit ears which has perfect reception, no signal loss or breakup, looking at Three Rock and even tested Kippure as according to Saorview site, could be either

Which image are you using? - a few of us have had problems with AR-P
    there are details in post #3342 of this thread on doing this.
    basically do 2 manual tunes, one for each frequency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

bappelbe wrote: »

An auto scan may not work, do a manual scan of the frequency with it set to 8Mhz bandwidth

Using Hyperion 2 image, I've done the 2 manual scans. As I said, 1st frequency picks up 19 channels (mux 1) but scan of 2nd frequency picks up nothing

smee again wrote: »
    An auto scan may not work, do a manual scan of the frequency with it set to 8Mhz bandwidth

done this also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭championc

I must look at the signal strength of Mux2 tonight but with a coat hangar in a TV in my kitchen, I am struggling to get the new RTE1 station. I never had an issue with the first one on Mux 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

For mux 2 issues you may have an issue with your aerial configuration. I had to move my aerial from the attic and mount it outside. I've had no issues since.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

My dad just got setup with one of these boxes the other day. At the moment he just wants to use it for Irish & English channels and streaming media from the NAS. Is it good to go as is or should we try loading up another image? Not really sure how it works just yet, but I'll pick it up quickly. Thanks.

L'prof wrote: »
    My dad just got setup with one of these boxes the other day. At the moment he just wants to use it for Irish & English channels and streaming media from the NAS. Is it good to go as is or should we try loading up another image? Not really sure how it works just yet, but I'll pick it up quickly. Thanks.

I presume you are using spark - the default operating system that comes with the box.
    If so then you will find flashing an image of Enigma2 gives a better interface to work with.
    Enigma2 comes in several different flavours (eg HDMU, Hyperion AR-P)
    Championc has put up a few images to get you started - most people here are on Hyperion at the moment.
    The firmware thread has the links for it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I presume you are using spark - the default operating system that comes with the box.
    If so then you will find flashing an image of Enigma2 gives a better interface to work with.
    Enigma2 comes in several different flavours (eg HDMU, Hyperion AR-P)
    Championc has put up a few images to get you started - most people here are on Hyperion at the moment.
    The firmware thread has the links for it

That's great, I'll give that a try so. Is there a channel editor for the box too?

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    That's great, I'll give that a try so. Is there a channel editor for the box too?

you can try dreamboxedit (google it for a link)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement