Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Options

Comments

Thanks for that. The only other option I can see for them is a Saorview box and a separate Freesat box as they have a TV which is MPEG-2 only. If I suggested that, or a combo box with no proper satellite EPG, they'd most likely decide to stick with Sky. So it's a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    @m8, are you sure you setup the tuners correctly? Tuner A is terrestrial set to European DVB-T, Tuner B is universal LNB Astra 28.2, Tuner C is "same as Tuner B"

Having it set to Diseqc will crash the box

Yep that exactly how I set it up, I followed your guide to the letter.

Have RTE's on the A Tuner and sat on the B with same as B on the C.

Even reimaged it with the same image (1470) a number of times.

Same here. It really is great entertainment if you're a techie, but to be honest some members of my household are not very impressed with me spending too much time on the box, with the need to reboot the box so often and with its laggyness flicking through the terrestrial channels. But everyone likes the coolguide EPG, the ease of recording, etc. So I do think its advantages outweight its shortcomings. I hope the next few images get much more stable and fast.

Has anybody made a comparison of the satstation images vs the HDMU images in terms of stability and speed?

I would like to see the results or comparing images for stability?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭championc

Karsini wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The only other option I can see for them is a Saorview box and a separate Freesat box as they have a TV which is MPEG-2 only. If I suggested that, or a combo box with no proper satellite EPG, they'd most likely decide to stick with Sky. So it's a tough one.

My Dad got one at the same time as me. So it makes life simpler when I can talk him through things while I do exactly the same thing myself. So talking him through upgrades or ftp'ing to the box is very possible, even if he did not fully understand as to what he was doing.

The one thing I would say is that you are better to have one box rather than two since they will still have a TV remote too so the less remotes, the less confusion. E2 with the CoolTVGuide EPG combines things nicely.
    some members of my household are not very impressed with me spending too much time on the box, with the need to reboot the box so often and with its laggyness flicking through the terrestrial channels. But everyone likes the coolguide EPG, the ease of recording, etc. So I do think its advantages outweight its shortcomings.

I have obviously been lucky since lockups have been few and far between. Laggyness between Terrestrial channels is a small price to pay for getting a reasonably functional device rather than that Spark crap.
    givecredit wrote: »
    Update from RogerThis re RTE player: RTE Player for Enigma2

Loaded up and running but haven't had a chance to try it out yet

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Karsini wrote: »

I'd hold out. It's still early days for this box. Enigma is getting there and is in constant development, the hardware is well capable. Even Spark is getting support which is a good sign, the latest update fixed CrossEPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 my goodness

I like the satstation image simple and easy to use and navigate, when I had hdmu installed the remote didn't work properly at times, like when I pressed the menu button I couldn't navigate left or right. The HDMU image I had installed requires more work to get it up and running, you have ftp the satelites .xml to the box does not come with astra 28.2 east, ( think this is fixed not with latest image) no autobouquests so you have to do a bit of work sorting out the channels but nothing anyone with a pc cant do. But this is just my preference. Try anyone and fun, most of the images are the same underneath

Is it possible for CoolTVGuide to run on the Sat station image ?

C

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fabolous1990

Hey guys just found this thread while having a browse around.

I got this box a few days ago and was trying to install and enigma image but it keeps getting the error 770 on the box which from reading the thread means it doesn't recognize the USB key.

I am using a kingston USB the same as this one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-16GB-Traveler-Champagne/dp/B006YBARCA/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1357592122&sr=1-2

It doesn't seem to work, so I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend one that yous have used and have work?

Thanks!

Did you format it as fat 32. DO a full format, don't tick the box for a quick format. I have a Kingston and a HP both work flawlessly.

I like the satstation image simple and easy to use and navigate, when I had hdmu installed the remote didn't work properly at times, like when I pressed the menu button I couldn't navigate left or right. The HDMU image I had installed requires more work to get it up and running, you have ftp the satelites .xml to the box does not come with astra 28.2 east, ( think this is fixed not with latest image) no autobouquests so you have to do a bit of work sorting out the channels but nothing anyone with a pc cant do. But this is just my preference. Try anyone and fun, most of the images are the same underneath

How do make out this is easy to navigate, have to press at least 3 buttons to see a multi epg and then the red button to select and not ok button....is there anyway to get this one 1 button and ok to select?

Also I notice that there is no splash screen or teams in the plugin downloads. I am nearly sure there were some on one of the other images?

It is a bit more stable ok with this image but I would need to edit the boquet.

• Advertisement

There should be plugin there called set up quick buttons you can use it. You can also program cool tv guide to use the colored buttons. I have mine set to use the channel bouquet. Im using stigflops auto bouquet its the nearest set up to sxx box

Yeah the satstation image comes with cross epg installed, Cool TV is only a gui for this. I have it installed

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fabolous1990

Did you format it as fat 32. DO a full format, don't tick the box for a quick format. I have a Kingston and a HP both work flawlessly.

Will try again now without quick format!

Thanks

Hey guys just found this thread while having a browse around.

I got this box a few days ago and was trying to install and enigma image but it keeps getting the error 770 on the box which from reading the thread means it doesn't recognize the USB key.

I am using a kingston USB the same as this one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-16GB-Traveler-Champagne/dp/B006YBARCA/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1357592122&sr=1-2

It doesn't seem to work, so I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend one that yous have used and have work?

Thanks!

Get the e2upgrade plugin and flash it from Spark, it will not matter what usb key you use then. Follow my guide

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82445809&postcount=185
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82445809&postcount=186

Simply install the 1.2.51 E2 image, the plugins and the install the enigma image through spark. Look back about two dozen posts for full details.

Make sure you have the right image for the box

There should be plugin there called set up quick buttons you can use it. You can also program cool tv guide to use the colored buttons. I have mine set to use the channel bouquet. Im using stigflops auto bouquet its the nearest set up to sxx box

Thanks that worked ok.

Is there anyway to default to another boquet other than Entertainment in CoolTV Guide?

I have setup a personal one and would like to default to that.

m8 wrote: »
    Thanks that worked ok.

Is there anyway to default to another boquet other than Entertainment in CoolTV Guide?

I have setup a personal one and would like to default to that.

Mine opens on the bouquet I'm currently in

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shezsharks

I can record two channels on my amiko alien 2 box with Spark timer pvr but if its on a non FTA channell it looses the channel, so recording to CBS Drama for Dallas on fta is fine but if Im watching Sky SPorts 1 it scrambles or if recording a non fta channell it scrambles and goes blank too any ideas???

Possibly another thing in Spark to be fixed - Sometime Soon !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Shezsharks

PMT - Will this fix my recording issue?

Deleted my original post as it was for the Alien 1, it got an update today therefore the Alien 2 should follow soon

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cartom

Hi All, I just received my Alien2 yesterday. I have tuned in all the free to air channels from my old sky dish. I have been trying to tune in all the analog stations from my old ntl cable. with out any success.
    I have not yet attempted to connect my Alien2 to my modem.
    I have never set up a receiver before:

Do I need to update the software to receive more channels?
    or do I need to buy a smartcard? It was looking for a smartcard during setup.
    Where would I buy a smartcard? what type should I buy, I only wish to view fta channels and free Irish Tv channels.

i don't find the instructions in the manual very clear so any help would be much appreciated.
    Cartom:confused:

The box has a digital tuner, it will not work with analogue. You will need a UHF aerial to get Irish terrestrial channels (Saorview)

This box is popular as it will cardshare but we cannot talk here about setting this up or even about getting a valid Sky card working on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

cartom wrote: »
    I have been trying to tune in all the analog stations from my old ntl cable. with out any success.

Did you connect your NTL cable to the "antenna in" connector at the back of your Alien2 box? If so, this won't work. What you need to connect there is an actual aerial to receive the saorview channels (Irish free channels). You might be able to to use a "rabbit ears" antenna, but unless you are in an area with strong saorview signal, you might not get good reception. The best option is to install an outdoors UHF aerial. They're not very expensive but you might want to get it professionally installed. Some people opt to install it in their attics which sometimes achieves good results, but not always (again, it depends how good the saorview reception is in your area).

The box is unable to receive analogue TV signals from UPC/NTL or any other analogue source. It's only able to receive satellite signals AND digital terrestrial signals (e.g. saorview).

If you want to continue using analogue UPC/NTL, you'll have to connect the cable directly to your TV, without using the alien2 box. However, I would strongly recommend you to get the outdoors UHF aerial for the saorview Irish channels as the video quality is much better in saorview than with UPC analogue. Also, you get RTÉ 2 HD, RTÉ Junior and RTÉ News Now which you don't get with the UPC analogue signal. :D

As for the smartcard, you don't need any cards for receiving Free to Air TV (via satellite or terrestrial).

If you connect your receiver to the Internet, then you can access online services (like youtube, etc.) on your TV but also you have the option of streaming what you get on satellite to another computer in your house. We use this as a "multiroom" installation of sorts. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭zakalibit

Just wanted to bring to your attention the image from AR team

http://code.google.com/p/tdt-amiko/downloads/detail?name=OpenAR-P_OE2.0_211_alien2_epl3-git-03-01-13_a65db78.zip&can=2&q=

it is very stable

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cartom

Thank you all for all the information, I see the light now. In the manual, it gave the option to switch from terrestrial to cable, thats why I thought the ntl cable would work.
    Yes i'll set up an arial in my attic, as I want to be able to record the Irish channels.
    I'll test out my old cats ears and see what type of reception I have on them first.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Well RogerThis has only gone and done it again!

"3 Player" Alpha2

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31328853/3player%20Alpha%202.zip

Enjoy your TV3 catchup...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

zakalibit wrote: »

Just received delivery of Golden Media version of this receiver today as linked tp in this thread couple pages back.

Have installed above quoted image with thanks to Pog Mo thoin very helpful instructions in this thread. My first impressions is very very impressed with performance so far. Im comparing to Vu Duo and Dreambox 800hdse and This receiver holds its own. The images seems quite stable. I have installed Autobouquets.
    Tip:
    To fix BBCi modify the autobouquets_e2.sh script file youself to get the new BBCi services.

change epg to 2051 on line 447:

Code:
    "2051")
    bouquetname "12" "BBC Interactive" and also change epg range to 2050-2053 on line 667:

Code:
    if [ $epg -gt 2050 -a $epg -lt 2053 ];
    ca="FTA"; sn="BBCi $epg"
    then re-run plugin to create latest BBCi bouquet

AutoBouquets takes 10mins to run, this compares with 45mins on a dreambox 800hd, 15mins on Vu duo.

Have also installed RTE PLAYER, TV3 PLAYER and Ice Streams player and all work just as they should.

This image does not have Crossepg in plugin feeds, So anyhelp on how to install this would be appreciated.

All and All a great receiver with twin s2 tuners and 1 dtt tuner for €165.00

Edit: Enigma2does not support DTT T2 tuners yet. So Dtt does not work on this DTT T2 receiver in enigma2 mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 123skb

Has anybody tried this on an alien2??? (The AR team Image)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement