Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 shot dead at Batman showing in Denver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord of the Bongs

Yes well each to there own - but to be honest bringing a child to certian films that may be a little older from them isnt the worst thing a parent can do, especially if a child loves them (depending on the film) - plus Batman isn't a totally inappropriate film, its slightly dark but...isnt Batman against guns and killing? If someone brought there child to Anti-Christ I would consider that to be an inappropriate film, but I have seen many a child go into 12 and 15 films with parents to simply enjoy it (especially dad's and there sons)!

Besides, I really hate the attitude of well why was a 6 year old in the film, that isnt the major issue, the major issue is a killer was there to KILL!

See my above post the main issue is not that he did what he did its WHY he did it. Batman is full of guns and explosions, death and murder, it escapism but to younger people the fantasy can appear real and well, eventually lead a person to imitate it just as what actually happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

no, I wouldnt be bringing my 'child' to a totally inappropriate film, most of which they would not comprehend and end up with nightmares, at an ungodly hour when they should be at home in bed. but that just me.

It's not an inappropriate film.

MegGustaa wrote: »
    It's entirely possible that the six year old had seen the previous two movies in the trilogy, understood them and didn't get nightmares from them. I know a 7 year old child that got nightmares from Toy Story 3 and The Cat In The Hat, doesn't make those films inappropriate for all children.

If this shooting had happened in a school or a restaurant or a library or a church you would not be questioning why a child was there. A mass shooting is a mass shooting no matter where it happens. People should be able to go to a safe public place and not expect to be a victim of mass murder. Six year olds shouldn't be shot, wherever they happen to be. It's so terribly unfortunate that those people happened to be there and that they had to die, but the fact is that they were there, for one reason or another, and they died for no good reason.

Whenever you change the focus from the insanity of a person opening fire on members of the public (any where) to something as trivial as a parent's decision to bring their child to the cinema, you sound like you're trying to make it the parent's fault.

Schools libraries dont open at 12 - midnight. You are all missing the point that unless there are certain boundaries, appropriate to the child, then they very well may end up becoming what this lad has become - a mass murderer. This guy didnt over night become this warped individual, but i would hazzard a guess that most of his childhood was sat in front of a video screen watching batman movies and playing GTA. Because the states is such a contry opsessed with guns is main reason it happens there so much

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

you could also be of the persuasion that in some way this type of behaviour (bringing kids to inappropriate movies at inappropriate times) may have an adverse on the child later in life, in that they might become warped and go on a shooting spree.

The main issue is WHY this guy did what he did and like it or not a large proportion of the blame lies with how he was brought up.

Thousands of children will watch this film and similar ones this year. Millions of children have watched violent films and played violent games. They don't all go out and shoot people.

Movies and video games don't cause shooting sprees. Mental instability and - importantly - access to weaponry, play a massive role in causing these events.

You do also realise that one of Batman's big hangups is use of guns, right? I'm not sure of the specifics, but I think the idea is that because his parents were shot dead he never uses them. He also has a thing about actually killing people, too.

Violent games = big problem
    Violent movies = big problem
    Kids staying up late = big problem

Buying guns over the internet = no bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

you could also be of the persuasion that in some way this type of behaviour (bringing kids to inappropriate movies at inappropriate times) may have an adverse on the child later in life, in that they might become warped and go on a shooting spree.

Not if you were a remotely rational human being...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

staying up past your bedtime + superhero films = killing spree.

There you have it folks.

MegGustaa wrote: »
    Thousands of children will watch this film and similar ones this year. Millions of children have watched violent films and played violent games. They don't all go out and shoot people.

Movies and video games don't cause shooting sprees. Mental instability and - importantly - access to weaponry, play a massive role in causing these events.

You do also realise that one of Batman's big hangups is use of guns, right? I'm not sure of the specifics, but I think the idea is that because his parents were shot dead he never uses them. He also has a thing about actually killing people, too.

Whether you can acknowledge it or not these films and video games are a real motivator in producing people who go on these killing sprees. Yes, thankfully it doesnt have the same effect on all people and its not the sole reason but taking this latest one as an example of how they do affect someones character, he was clearly influenced by the Joker, and presumably had be planning to do this on the opening of batmans 3rd film for ages. He could have killed someone in a library but choose this film and time are his target. Why do u think he did that?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Why do u think he did that?

he's insane.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    staying up past your bedtime + superhero films = killing spree.

There you have it folks.

Do be soft and childish i never said that, i said it was/IS a contributing factor in this case and in many other simialr cases. Would u not agree or can u only make a joke about it?

• Advertisement

Why do u think he did that?

Why don't you tell us seeing as you know so much about video games causing people to have psychotic episodes.

he's insane.

right thats sums it all up in a small neat little package. not else needed to know eh?

Whether you can acknowledge it or not these films and video games are a real motivator in producing people who go on these killing sprees.

Maybe you should rephrase that to say that these films and video games may cause influence to an already damaged mind! They certainly do not producing damaged people.

smash wrote: »
    Maybe you should rephrase that say that these films and video games may cause influence to an already damaged mind! They certainly do not producing damaged people.

That sort of thinking would be too mainstream for someone called Lord Of The Bongs.

Maybe you should rephrase that say that these films and video games may cause influence to an already damaged mind! They certainly do not producing damaged people.

I would still rather say they have an influence rather than think they may have an fluence.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    That sort of thinking would be too mainstream for someone called Lord Of The Bongs.

U contributing an insult rather than debating is more laughable ;)

I would still rather say they have an influence rather than think they may have an fluence.

So you're saying you want them to have an influence rather than having any actual proof that they do?

You still said that they produce these people. That is 100% not true!

U contributing an insult rather than debating is more laughable ;)
    Debating what?
    That you can get attention on a forum when you post an opinion full of hyperbole and bad taste.?
    Your opinion is only here for shock value.
    Well done., smoke another bong.:pac:

You still said that they produce these people. That is 100% not true!

Where did i say that?

• Advertisement

Debating what?
    That you can get attention on a forum when you post an opinion full of hyperbole and bad taste.?
    Your opinion is only here for shock value.
    Well done., smoke another bong.:pac:

you opinion is only for here thanks and possibly trolling. My opinion is relevant to the topic.

Where did i say that?

Here:
    This guy didnt over night become this warped individual, but i would hazzard a guess that most of his childhood was sat in front of a video screen watching batman movies and playing GTA. Because the states is such a contry opsessed with guns is main reason it happens there so much

well it certainly seems like you were suggesting it at any rate imho.

you opinion is only for here thanks and possibly trolling. My opinion is relevant to the topic.

You only registered to come into this thread to cause upset, i bet.
    Your opinion is relevant my arse, all you talk about is video games, kids staying up late and the fact that it makes them killers.
    Your posts are uneducated tripe, pure and simple.

Where did i say that?
    here
    Whether you can acknowledge it or not these films and video games are a real motivator in producing people who go on these killing sprees.

So you're saying you want them to have an influence rather than having any actual proof that they do?

No i am saying THEY DO HAVE AN INFLEUNCE! FFS The guy dressed up and called himself THE JOKER! Hello 1+1=

Hello 1+1=
    5 if I'm to go by your logic.

No i am saying THEY DO HAVE AN INFLEUNCE! FFS The guy dressed up and called himself THE JOKER! Hello 1+1=

Oh FFS this guy has cracked it!!:pac:
    So who would you blame? Heath Ledger or Jack Nicholson?
    :pac:

Originally Posted by Lord of the Bongs
    here

Ah yes u missed completely what I was saying. they are a real MOTIVATOR in producing people who go on these killing sprees. No i didnt mean they PRODUCE killers they (films) motivate and give them ideas. in this case murderous ideas. Im pretty sure this guy was repeating a scene from a batman comic were the a character goes on a killing spree in a cinema.

2. He didn't dress up like the joker for a start and when did he call himself the joker?

How many other people watched the 4 year old film you're referring to and went out and killed because of it? Surely this would be a common occurence if these things are so influential? Or maybe, just maybe most people aren't so easily influenced and this guy wasn't right in the head?

• Advertisement

Oh FFS this guy has cracked it!!:pac:
    So who would you blame? Heath Ledger or Jack Nicholson?
    :pac:

always been partial to Jack :)

Advertisement