Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia wants to cull great whites

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

'Culling' seems to be popular in Oz, they did the same thing to Crocodiles a few years back due to a few attacks in Cairns, the same with feral Cat populations and with Kangaroos. There are a lot more crocs than there are Great White Sharks....

It's a lazy and ignorant solution to this problem-we should be protecting this species. There needs to be more respect and awareness of these animals-moniter the beaches, install shark proof nets and declare areas near seal populations as 'unsafe' for bathing. Stay the **** out of the shark infested water!(especially at dawn and dusk) A lot of things can kill you in that country..you don't see people sticking their hands into snake pits and calling for a cull though!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

laylah wrote: »
    'Culling' seems to be a popular in Oz, they did the same thing to Crocodiles a few years back due to a few attacks in Cairns, the same with feral Cat populations and with Kangaroos. There are a lot more crocs than there are Great White Sharks....

It's a lazy and ignorant solution to this problem-we should be protecting this species.There needs to be more respect and awareness of these animals-moniter the beaches, install shark proof nets and declare areas near seal populations 'unsafe' for bathing. Stay the **** out of the shark infested water!(especially at dawn and dusk) A lot of thing can kill you in that country..you don't see people sticking there hands into snake pits and calling for a cull though!

It relates to a view that humans are the only significant species and its called anthropocentricisim. It seems particilarly common in Ireland. A good example would be cull all great whites because humans like swimming.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's no surprise some scientists are saying we've triggered a whole new epoch called the Anthropocene.
    a recent and informal geologic chronological term that serves to mark the evidence and extent of human activities that have had a significant global impact on the Earth's ecosystems.

Basically human activity is now the main driving force behind ecological change on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

This is a joke, the chances of getting killed by a shark are probably as slim as getting suffocated by a tea cosy...

And we don't cull tea cosies...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

m0ynihan wrote: »
    This is a joke, the chances of getting killed by a shark are probably as slim as getting suffocated by a tea cosy...

And we don't cull tea cosies...

The thread title is misleading, culling has been sugggested but the authorities have not said its going to happen. A diver was killed in April too and they ruled out a culling on that occasion: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-01/calls-to-cull-sharks-after-attack/3925356

This incident with the surfer has increased the pressure, but there's a lot of local people against the culling too.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

they tried this before with the tasmanian tiger,huge success,btw sharks couldent survive in a lake,would suffocate

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

pontia wrote: »
    btw sharks couldent survive in a lake,would suffocate

Bull Sharks have been found 200kms up the Amazon and are regularly found inland in The US and Australia in waterways that lead to the sea. They are also one of the more aggressive species. That however doesn't mean they should be killed for doing what comes naturally to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Also seems that 1000 times more people are killed in Australia by car accidents then Shark attacks ... there is a campaign going to start culling the drivers .. :rolleyes:

yes,correct,a lake is enclosed though,no way back to sea

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

that is obviously correct, I was meaning to refute the idea that sharks can't survive in fresh water

• Advertisement

jaws was based on the true story of bull shark killing people in river on east coast of usa

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could cull them by getting rid of their food source.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

that is obviously correct, I was meaning to refute the idea that sharks can't survive in fresh water
    No your right bill sharks are in lakes
    Lakes are not always enclosed and every year people go sport fishin in lake eerie and lake Michigan for them and the largest caught in lake was larger than any caught in sea by rod and line

Lakes are not always enclosed and every year people go sport fishin in lake eerie and lake Michigan for them and the largest caught in lake was larger than any caught in sea by rod and line

There's plenty of stories about sharks in the great lakes, thats all though I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Mickeroo wrote: »

There's plenty of stories about sharks in the great lakes, thats all though I'm afraid.

That's actually pure bull****.

Only bullsharks can live in fresh water and seawater. And guess what? Bullsharks are found in Australia!

Those crazy galahs are gonna have a field day!

1ZRed wrote: »

Only bullsharks can live in fresh water and seawater. And guess what? Bullsharks are found in Australia!

Though it is indeed not true that there's bull sharks(or any sharks afaik) in the great lakes they are found in US waters. They've even been known to head up the Mississipi and Hudson rivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

1ZRed wrote: »

Well they're also found around both the western and eastern coast of USA. South Africa, South America and Nicaragua.

Also from Wikipedia
    They have even been known to travel as far up as Indiana in the Ohio River.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Well they're also found around both the western and eastern coast of USA. South Africa, South America and Nicaragua.

Also from Wikipedia

Yeah I said they are found in Australia, not exclusive to it! ;)

Like rats are found here but aren't solely found here.

Dug myself out of that one nicely.. O_0

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

'Culling' seems to be popular in Oz, they did the same thing to Crocodiles a few years back due to a few attacks in Cairns, the same with feral Cat populations and with Kangaroos. There are a lot more crocs than there are Great White Sharks....

Crocs have been protected since 1972 when hunting was banned.
    Their populations have rebounded and they no longer seem afraid of humans which causes problems.
    The freshwater croc population is in good shape and the salties aren't doing too bad either.
    Of course salties in other countries like Indonesia and New Guinea aren't doing as well.
    AFAIK they usually move the crocs around Cairns to croc farms out of the way of humans, much like they do with Polar bears up in Churchill in Canada.

BTW all feral cats in Australia should be culled since they are not native and are killing all the little native animals such as Bandicoot and Brush-tailed Bettong.
    In fact one Aussie politican has suggest all cats should be removed from the continent.
    (I don't think he will get many women voters)

Story is same with deer and possums in NZ.
    In NZ they reckon there are 30 million possums after they were intially introduced in 1830s for their fur.
    These have wreaked havoc on the environment and are not native to the country.
    Likwise Grey squirrels and mink should be culled in Ireland.

So please use a bit of cop on before sounding off about culling animals.
    Sometimes it is done to restore the natural balance and to protect other species.
    A lot of things can kill you in that country..you don't see people sticking their hands into snake pits and calling for a cull though!

Actually some people do stick their hands into snake pits.
    More dangerous can be spiders who hide in your boots.

BTW what animal kills most Australians ?

Ehhh that would be man.

jmayo wrote: »

BTW all feral cats in Australia should be culled since they are not native and are killing all the little native animals such as Bandicoot and Brush-tailed Bettong.
    In fact one Aussie politican has suggest all cats should be removed from the continent.

Because a lot of people keep cats as pets (along with them being cute and cuddley) they tend to empathise with them too much imo. THey're no different to any invasive species when given free reign in the wild. In the case of mink and possums most would accept a cull is the way to go, not even a cull but actually wiping the species out in areas they don't belong, which is dead right. Yet with cats whats considered best practice is to neuter them and release them into the wild again. Its always seemed strange to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Well there was a cull and still is for invasive species in Australia like rabbits for example
    so they are right to take out the cats aswell
    I think same should apply over here for feral cats and mink especially
    Problem is that people think their so cute and want them here without realising the damage that mink do to our own wildlife

So cullin great whites is total crap to be honest
    I don't think it's right to cull them they've been here since dinosaur era

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

jmayo wrote: »
    Crocs have been protected since 1972 when hunting was banned.
    Their populations have rebounded and they no longer seem afraid of humans which causes problems.
    The freshwater croc population is in good shape and the salties aren't doing too bad either.
    Of course salties in other countries like Indonesia and New Guinea aren't doing as well.
    AFAIK they usually move the crocs around Cairns to croc farms out of the way of humans, much like they do with Polar bears up in Churchill in Canada.

Story is same with deer and possums in NZ.
    In NZ they reckon there are 30 million possums after they were intially introduced in 1830s for their fur.
    These have wreaked havoc on the environment and are not native to the country.
    Likwise Grey squirrels and mink should be culled in Ireland.

So please use a bit of cop on before sounding off about culling animals.
    Sometimes it is done to restore the natural balance and to protect other species.

Actually some people do stick their hands into snake pits.
    More dangerous can be spiders who hide in your boots.

Eh thanks for that? While I'm sure you must be far smarter and more knowledgable than me you seem to have missed my point. I basically don't agree with a culling in the Great White Shark situation and feel the Australian government are far too quick to jump to this as a solution like they have in the past with other Animals.

You have provided some prime examples of how they have mismanaged in the past, Possums for fur not being controlled, Deer in NZ for example-disasters.(though it is an entirely different country.) They really need to be careful about this issue and explore the effects fully before jumping the gun.

If you take for example the attempt to control the native Cane Beetle population by introducing the Cane Toad from South America. Since their release, the toads have rapidly multiplied in population and now number over 200 million and have been known to spread diseases affecting local biodiversity. The introduction of the toads has not only caused large environmental detriment, but there is also no evidence that they have had an impact on the cane beetles they were introduced to predate.

Also what you're talking about are Introduced Species the Great White Shark is Native to those waters. A bit of cop on is indeed required when dealing with these matters.

Personally I like to think of people that stick their hands in snake pits to get their jollies as 'Natural Selection' ;)

BTW what animal kills most Australians ? Ehhh that would be man.
    I'm not sure we're talking about the same things here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Great whites are fantastic creatures. I've studied them for years in my spare time.

It's long since proven that most attacks by them are accidental. From below, surfers look like penguins with their arms outstretched on the board, hence the attacks. I don't know how I feel about them being culled.

We share a fascination.

My life long dream is to get in a cage and have one of those mutha's come at me!!

Cull a few surfers and make the rest ride the wave of employment! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Australia has a long history of culling, even culling humans when it was convenient. It's not fair to kill sharks just because they're hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I thought most beaches over there had shark nets these days? And also thought that bull sharks were worse offenders for attacks?

smash wrote: »
    I thought most beaches over there had shark nets these days? And also thought that bull sharks were worse offenders for attacks?

I think you only get the nets at popular crowded beaches. I think this beach might have been a quieter one, which would attract surfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Only the most intensively used beaches near big population centres, there's thousands of miles of beach. Can't net them all.

They're the greatest apex predator on the planet and I have to say I'm fascinated by them. Cutting their numbers would be so wrong in my opinion. Surfers can always go somewhere else!

Either that, or get some of that shark repellent that batman had in the old black and white movie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Eh thanks for that? While I'm sure you must be far smarter and more knowledgable than me you seem to have missed my point. I basically don't agree with a culling in the Great White Shark situation and feel the Australian government are far too quick to jump to this as a solution like they have in the past with other Animals.

Now now no need to be condescending for being called up for making 2+2=5 just because in the past someone did the same.

And you don't get my point.
    There was/is nothign wrong with culling feral cats.
    It is a valid solution.
    What would you have them do ?
    You have provided some prime examples of how they have mismanaged in the past, Possums for fur not being controlled, Deer in NZ for example-disasters.(though it is an entirely different country.) They really need to be careful about this issue and explore the effects fully before jumping the gun.

Yes they are prime examples of what happens when non native animals are introduced for one particular reasons only for them to escape into the wild where they have no natural predator.
    But years down the road the introduction of culls for these animals are one of the best solutions.
    We have the same problems with grey squirrels here and AFAIK culls have been discussed.

You seem to think that because generations ago people and authorities made mistakes in the introduction of animals, that now means that all other successive and current solutions are also going to be wrong.
    If you take for example the attempt to control the native Cane Beetle population by introducing the Cane Toad from South America. Since their release, the toads have rapidly multiplied in population and now number over 200 million and have been known to spread diseases affecting local biodiversity. The introduction of the toads has not only caused large environmental detriment, but there is also no evidence that they have had an impact on the cane beetles they were introduced to predate.

And your point is ??
    Yes they fooked up back in the 30s, but that mean that if they found a way of now exterminating them that they would also be wrong ?

Have you ever been to Australia or New Zealand ?
    If you have then you surely must have noticed how anal they are about the importation of animal and plant matter ?
    Hell I have even seen the dirt on one guys golf shoes being examined.
    I have even come across sign on Victoria, NSW border about carrying fruit that might have fruit flies in it. :confused:
    Also what you're talking about are Introduced Species the Great White Shark is Native to those waters. A bit of cop on is indeed required when dealing with these matters.

Ehhh you were the one that dragged the culling of non native species into this with your comments about feral cats.

Have I anywhere said I agree with culling sharks ?
    No I haven't.
    I have just taken exception to your point about the Aussies always getting it wrong.
    Personally I like to think of people that stick their hands in snake pits to get their jollies as 'Natural Selection' ;)

BTW what animal kills most Australians ? Ehhh that would be man.
    I'm not sure we're talking about the same things here.

Think latterly, then horizontally and then vertically.
    You'll eventually get there or else dizzy. ;)

• Advertisement

Did someone compare culling feral cats with culling great whites? Because you can't do that. Feral cats are vermin. Great whites aren't.

Advertisement