Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia wants to cull great whites

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

No never looked at Jaws much the thought of a shark is enough to scare the hell outta me,i agree we shouldnt go near the waters where there are sharks much,i heard of an irish guy who died paddling out in a shark infested lake whilst drunk,so ya i think its daft,but if sharks numbers are not controlled and they eat lots of fish and seals and other stock such as octopus and that,we should cull them bc of that i think..

Unfortunately Australia have announced that the contract for culling Great Whites has been given to FAS - all roles will be internships though the Jobbridge scheme. Not only are they eating us and our fish - they're taking our jobs :mad:
    They what?
    They took our JOBS!!!!
    Durka durr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i think its a risk you take...If you live in Oz and you want to take a swim your educated before hand....
    Risk you take.. at the end of it... if your used for a light snack its your own fault...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Japan do enough culling of dolphins which i think is wrong not only because stocks are declining,i think there are FAR too many great whites anyway arent they eating all our fish fuckers,there a big vicous pest,too,i think if australia wants to cull them let them!Its about time too..

In my opinion, the Sharks can eat as many of these perverts as they can...

Ha the japs cullin That's rich
    that's an excuse for them to kill and eat the dolphins They drove the yangtze river dolphin to extinct 3 year ago and it's gone forever now
    And the things they kill have no reason to be killed and if their gonna do it at least make it a quick kill and don't fcuk around making it suffer

The ocean is salty from the tears of misunderstood sharks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Cull away, people should be able to enjoy the sea in relative safety. I have no problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

johngalway wrote: »
    people should be able to enjoy the sea in relative safety.

Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

johngalway wrote: »
    Cull away, people should be able to enjoy the sea in relative safety. I have no problem with it.

First they came for the sharks, then they came for the jellyfish...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Great whites are fantastic creatures. I've studied them for years in my spare time.

It's long since proven that most attacks by them are accidental. From below, surfers look like penguins with their arms outstretched on the board, hence the attacks. I don't know how I feel about them being culled.

I thought it was turtles and seals.
    I always thought the sharks had pretty reasonable eyesight, they would want to be bloody blind to mistake a person for a penguin.
    BTW there are no large penguins on the West Coast of OZ.
    They have the small little fellows on the Southern Ocean coast.
    Culling the great white shark, poor Greg Norman doesn't deserve that.

That was my first thought as well.
    Then again years ago, some guy who bet on him when he spectacularly blew up had a go at him.
    old hippy wrote: »

Actually killing the jellyfish has been proven to be counter productive as supposedly when attacked they release eggs or some such and cause even more jellyfish.
    Jellyfish are taking over more and more ocean and are huge problem around Japan.
    Then again it serves the Japanese feckers right for killing the poor ould whales.

that's an excuse for them to kill and eat the dolphins They drove the yangtze river dolphin to extinct 3 year ago and it's gone forever now
    And the things they kill have no reason to be killed and if their gonna do it at least make it a quick kill and don't fcuk around making it suffer

Would you mind not using that terminology please? It's offensive and comes across as rather ignorant.

Also, how did the Japanese drive the Yangtze River Dolphin to extinction?

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Then again it serves the Japanese feckers right for killing the poor ould whales.

Yeah, not all Japanese are out killing whales you know? Many are actually against it.

Jellyfish isn't half bad, actually. Have eaten it many times. Also ate whale but that was in Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

People just need to stop looking like tasty penguins and delicious seals. It's their own fault.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

When swimming or diving with the knowledge that there is dangerous sharks everywhere you deserve to get attacked. Hurray Aus, you lost an idiot.

The guy was unlucky more than anything. Fatal shark attacks are still reasonably rare despite the recent speight.

that would be the chinese.....and they had been trying to protect it for over 20 years before its extinction. It became illegal to hunt them in 1983 afaik. Even by then the population was critically small.

Would you mind not using that terminology please? It's offensive and comes across as rather ignorant.

Also, how did the Japanese drive the Yangtze River Dolphin to extinction?
    I don't care if it's offensive
    Your like that bloke from south park Ageing liberal hippy douche
    And yes I made a mistake it was in china not Japan sure their just as bad for killin off animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

They're only big fish, and there's plenty of them. Try complaining about all the cod that's nearly being driven to extinction.

Do you know anything about what's going on with sharks in the world? They are in huge decline and that has major damage on the ecosystem of the oceans because they are a big part of it.
    I saw a documentary about it not so long ago and it's crazy how they are over fished and butchered just for their fins. The rest is just thrown away and is of no use in Chinese 'medicine'.

There isn't plenty of them and their numbers aren't infinite. That kind of mentality will mean a lot of species will soon go extinct. Much like what's happening to your cod; "there's plenty of them left ffs, more fish fingers!" and they too are in decline because of that way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Seaneh wrote: »
    ]
    Cod are more abundant now than ever and I know this from being an angler myself

You might want to tell the north see and north atlantic that.

Before ww11, over a million tons of Cod was being landed, now it's less than 550k tons. Also, there are MUCH bigger boats in the water now.

60 years ago two lads in a small boat out of Kilronan could land more cod in a days fishing than a factory ship can in a week now.

Cod stocks are better than they were in the 70's but they are still being over fished.
    Very true and yet you still have people in the fishing industry blaming the decline on seals and in Ireland people are calling for a seal cull as a result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

WE WANT FISH! WE WANT FISH! :pac: get out the placards and banners :pac:

WE WANT FISH! WE WANT FISH! :pac: get out the placards and banners :pac:

I wonder what people think will happen to fish levels if the great whites are culled?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Yeah, not all Japanese are out killing whales you know? Many are actually against it.

Jellyfish isn't half bad, actually. Have eaten it many times. Also ate whale but that was in Norway.

Killing whales is one of the single greatest tragedies comitted by humans today. Unfortunatly "they "(mainly japan) get away with it under the law because they are "doing scientific research". A single whale can be sold for 100,000's if not millions of euro and so it will never be fully banned.

As for everyone calling for the killing of the sharks.

Would you go into a field with a bull and not expect to get charged??

Would you climb onto someones property with a rothweiler and not expect to get attacked?

Would you walk next to a lion and not expect to get attacked??

Should we not then kill all bulls,dogs and lions?

One can reasonably assume that if people choose to enter waters that contain sharks someone is going to eventaually meet a nasty end.... this however does not give us the right to kill them all.

We already see the demise of the elephant,rhino,lepard,gorilla,bluefin tuna etc.... do we really want to add the great white to the list??... if people want to kill them so badly they should at the very least have the balls to take them on one on one rather than hide behind a high powered rifle/ harpoon.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I seriously doubt they're going to cull them. Its more likely they'll up the efforts to electronically tag them. They might sanction the killing of the actual shark that killed the guy but a large scale cull is unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

Would rather a cull on Australians, they're that one group of people and country that virtually everyone dislikes.

Uck, disgraceful if they're serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Feisar wrote: »
    I've seen it written once or twice that more people are killed by donkeys each year than sharks.

I know someone killed when a bus ran over their little finger, granted he was picking his nose at the time....

Would rather a cull on Australians, they're that one group of people and country that virtually everyone dislikes.

Uck, disgraceful if they're serious.

Ive never been unfortunatly but I would love to go. Any austrialian I met has been nothing but friendly to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

whatever krudler,eat or be eaten :pac: would you like a great white hurdling towards you at practically the speed of fucking light..All because one day you decided all the sharks should live!:pac:,and that comes to bite a chunk outtya ass and finish you off..:pac:

Great Whites hit about 40kph max when breaching from a depth. Quite a long way from the speed of light I think. Also, fish stocks aren't harmed by natural fish eaters such as sharks (a lot don't eat other fish and most not in any great number). I think a closer look at beam trawlers might yield teh culprit of declining fish stocks. Also massive pollution from certain countries flowing into harbors and deltas etc where fish tend to lay eggs and juvenile fish spend time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You sound like fecking Clarkson eating all the poor animals.
    I bet you ate puffin and the like.
    What's wrong with eating chicken ? :P
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I seriously doubt they're going to cull them. Its more likely they'll up the efforts to electronically tag them. They might sanction the killing of the actual shark that killed the guy but a large scale cull is unlikely.

I thought they were working on counter measures like sending out a sound wave or some such ?
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ive never been unfortunatly but I would love to go. Any austrialian I met has been nothing but friendly to me.

Tis very hot.
    Lovely sun with not a cloud in the sky.
    Ahhhhh sun.
    I remember vaguely what you look like. :o

There are gorgeous unspolit deserted beaches up the West coast and the water is lovely.
    Only thing is, that is where a lot of the fooking sharks that eat you live so you keep out of the water.
    A bit of common sense I would say.

BTW one of the worse things about Oz bar the fecking flies are the loud Aussies. :D

BTW did you hear about the guy stopped at Aussie immigration and asked if he had a criminal record ?
    He responded "I didn't think you still needed one to get in".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

al28283 wrote: »
    Why?

Because I'm pro people :D

They can have them as well, particularly box jellyfish and Portuguese men of war :cool:

And when they've finished the job they can send them off up the coast of Somalia and eradicate those pirates as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Australia wants to cull great whites

But it should be....

Great Whites promise to continue their cull of non-indigenous Australians.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Seaneh wrote: »
    ]
    Cod are more abundant now than ever and I know this from being an angler myself

You might want to tell the north see and north atlantic that.

Before ww11, over a million tons of Cod was being landed, now it's less than 550k tons. Also, there are MUCH bigger boats in the water now.

60 years ago two lads in a small boat out of Kilronan could land more cod in a days fishing than a factory ship can in a week now.

Cod stocks are better than they were in the 70's but they are still being over fished.
    Very true and yet you still have people in the fishing industry blaming the decline on seals and in Ireland people are calling for a seal cull as a result.
    There's big difference in that because it's not the fact of the seals over eating the fish but more that fishermen are having their fish robbed from the nets by the seals and then tangling up the nets which in turns costs fishermen money and their livelihood
    A fisherman that I knew from cork told me that's the biggest problem

jmayo wrote: »

I thought they were working on counter measures like sending out a sound wave or some such ?

I hadn't heard of that one. There is a thing divers use called Shark Shield though.

• Advertisement

There's big difference in that because it's not the fact of the seals over eating the fish but more that fishermen are having their fish robbed from the nets by the seals and then tangling up the nets which in turns costs fishermen money and their livelihood
    A fisherman that I knew from cork told me that's the biggest problem

Im sure it is a problem. The solution would be the design of a type of net that seals cant get through. This country has killed too many creatures that are perceived to get in the way of humans eg sea eagles, birds of prey and the sickening decaptiated seals in cork. Industry in this country has been put above wildlife in this country too much and for me enough is enough.

Im not anti hunting, culling to keep populations healthy or protecting livestock from reasonable threats (Ie not some neanderthal who thinks that sea eagles attack sheep) but this country has a terrible reputation towards wildlife and I would seriously question any attempts to make it worse. The animals who killed the sea eagles havent been brought to justice and neither have the people who killed the seals (particularly sickening because seals have been known to save people drowning).

Im not getting at you im just saying no way does this country need seal culls. I wouldnt want to be a part of a country so unethical.

Advertisement