Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was out with a friend from college yesterday and she was berating me for playing too much games before talking about how much she loves Will Farrell and Ben Stiller movies and then got into an argument because she thought White Chicks was a funny film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    she thought White Chicks was a funny film.

BurstOutLaughing.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

keithgeo wrote: »
    This new show could be a watcher for people on here.

Its like hoarders but with nerds and all their collections.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57603

On a somewhat related note I recall reading somewhere that the only cure for hoarding/ collecting is to burn all of a person's hoard/ collection on a viking funeral pyre.

Take a moment and imagine doing exactly that with your own collections... scary thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Full episode is here:

http://www.syfy.com/videos/Collection%20Intervention/Full%20Episodes

In fairness, if yer wan came round my gaf and tried to take my Batrider PCB, I'd be blubbing my eyes out too.

In a future episode, yer wan goes round SteveSI's gaf and breaks the news to him he's only allowed 1 of everything. :D

Just watched a bit of it with the Star Wars collectors. The wedding with him as a Storm Trooper and her as Boba Fett with Darth Vader officiating was pretty f*cking hilarious.

Must be horrible being that much of a Star Wars fan... wouldn't it completely destroy your soul as George Lucas sh*ts all over the franchise more and more each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

They had a star wars themed wedding and she was boba fett?! That would be ringing alarm bells for me anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sony Japan have my attention again

That was like watching a Permanent TSB commercial with the overplayed soundtrack to Ocean's Eleven tacked on for good measure. Done nothing for me, sorry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not sure if the recently announced trend of Sony releasing a loud of unusual, experimental titles is going to in anyway deal with their financial misfortunes.

But it's sure as hell good for us gamers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Great Scott! Something novel? Something different? No brown? Dare we hope? I think it looks & sounds very promising!
    Done nothing for me, sorry

Well duh! It's not a shmup :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

That's strange, it's like the manga I'm reading right now (Translucent/She is Translucent)
    2012-08-15%2016.01.20.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That was like watching a Permanent TSB commercial with the overplayed soundtrack to Ocean's Eleven tacked on for good measure. Done nothing for me, sorry.

You mean Claire de Lune? The Claude Debussy orchestral track that was released in 1905, rather than a 2001 Steven Soderburgh film? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I'm not sure if the recently announced trend of Sony releasing a loud of unusual, experimental titles is going to in anyway deal with their financial misfortunes.

But it's sure as hell good for us gamers :D

Yep. Could be crap, could be brilliant but the box man.....they outside the box....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You mean Claire de Lune? The Claude Debussy orchestral track that was released in 1905, rather than a 2001 Steven Soderburgh film? :pac:

Take your trilby and get out of here!

Yes, though the (albeit moot) point I was trying to make is that particular piece of music has been overused in this way so much as to become ineffective.

Plus, it's still from Oceans Eleven (well, the remake anyway, not the bland, flaccid Rat Pack original) so nerr! :D

I'm more interested in Puppeteer than Rain. TBH Sony's Japan studio have always been very experimental. I'd much rather that than another bland Killzone, like the Vita game is going to be.

Take your trilby and get out of here!

I'm so hipster I listen to classical music before it appears in heist movies.

(I actually really like Ocean's Eleven. I'm not sure if that's a hipster opinion or not. I also don't really listen to classical music.)

EnterNow wrote: »

Ah shuddup you! :p

I like do like other stuff you know! ...........dating sims, H, eroge etc. :pac:

I'm so hipster I listen to classical music before it appears in heist movies.

(I actually really like Ocean's Eleven. I'm not sure if that's a hipster opinion or not. I also don't really listen to classical music.)

I like classical music a lot, regardless of if folk perceive that as 'uncool'. I like Jazz too (not just the LA Noire OST), again, feck what anyone else thinks I enjoy stuff because I like it not because it's cool to like it......like the 1995 Judge Dredd film. :D

I really like Ocean's Eleven too, thought it was an excellent film (the 2001 version). Ocean's Twelve I couldn't sit through the first 20 minutes despite attempting to on several occasions.

Ocean's Thirteen was a film about yer wans fake jabs wasn't it? At least that's all I saw on the big screen. :confused:

Ah shuddup you! :p

I like do like other stuff you know! ...........dating sims, H, eroge etc. :pac:

Nonsense, you know your a shmup addict & have no time for other genres :p

TBH Sony's Japan studio have always been very experimental.

How about they experiment by lending some of their staff to help finish The Last Guardian?

• Advertisement

Nonsense, you know your a shmup addict & have no time for other genres :p

Almost... but no cigar!

I collect Bomberman and Puyo Puyo stuff too. Also a big fan of puzzle and mahjong games, plus a bit of FIFA at the weekend!

But yeah, it's 99.9% SHMUP SMUT in the 'yang household... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

You mean Claire de Lune? The Claude Debussy orchestral track that was released in 1905
    Debussy always reminds me of Lily Chou Chou or AKFG's song Gekkou, try not to think of the perfume ad with Nicole Kidman

But yeah, it's 99.9% SHMUP SMUT in the 'yang household mountain lodge

Lets call a spade a spade here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Great Scott! Something novel? Something different? No brown? Dare we hope? I think it looks & sounds very promising!

You get yourself a pantry too? :p

Nice avatar btw. Hooked on that series I am. :cool:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    You get yourself a pantry too? :p

Nah, just an old blue collar Back To The Future fan...no gold wallpaper for me :(
    Nice avatar btw. Hooked on that series I am. :cool:

Epic isn't it?? I seen it mentioned by Sir Ultimate a few times & decided to start watching it. I now officially can't stop!

The latest episode of Breaking Bad was amazing. I won't say anything for anyone who hasn't seen it, but it's still the most thrilling show on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Yep... latest episode was something else alright.

The latest episode of Breaking Bad was amazing. I won't say anything for anyone who hasn't seen it, but it's still the most thrilling show on TV.

Without a doubt, it's utterly brilliant. From the filming style, the writing, the acting, the pacing...utterly riveting when you get into it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

DinoRex wrote: »
    Yep... latest episode was something else alright.

Just watched it this morning. Was quite an ending to it alright.

I was so surprised when I started watching the series that each episode seemed to get better and better. Up there with Sopranos as my fav TV series. Just started watching Game of Thrones and it's ok so far, lot of annoying characters in it. Not a patch on BB though.

• Advertisement

Game of Thrones is only OK - production values are great, and there's some really interesting twists in the story, but there's something more disposable about it than other shows. You can really feel it's just condensing books into TV form. It's trashy as hell at times, but certainly watchable. Peter Dinklage is awesome though. Various other characters can't get decapitated quickly enough.

I'd say Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Louie are my three favourite shows on at the moment: for completely different reasons of course!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement