Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

deathrider wrote: »
    Speaking of remakes/reboots, has anyone played the PS2 remake of Altered Beast? Was it as bad as I'd imagine?

Ssammich_450.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was a terrible game and unfortunately it meant Reiko Kodama was forced into a dungeon in Sega to make brain training games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

That's pretty much what I expected alright. I'll check out that video when I get home. Still though, if I stumble join a copy of the game I've probably still pick it up. It would make for a fun video, if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Was the original Altered Beast even any good?

I remember it being kind of neat looking at the time and voices were fun, but it played pretty horribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Altered Beast is am awful game. One Ciderman should save his Streets of Rage venom for.

Although knowing him he probably loves it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Although knowing him he probably loves it!

Rumour has it he bought it on release, then traded it in a week later, then bought it again the following week after that

DzsbQL7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

DinoRex wrote: »
    Was the original Altered Beast even any good?

I remember it being kind of neat looking at the time and voices were fun, but it played pretty horribly.

As a kid I thought that digitised voices and becoming a werewolf was the job, but yeah its an awful game "Wise from your GWAVE!" walk, punch, punch, walk, punch, repeat for entire game. It's one of those best left to rose tinted glasses games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

EnterNow wrote: »
    Rumour has it he bought it on release, then traded it in a week later, then bought it again the following week after that

I see the smack fairy is going to be visiting the EnterNow household soon....
    But, no, I played the original in Ricardos on Camden St, knew I'd just wasted 20p!
    It was also the original pal Megadrive pack in if I remember correctly.
    And it was crap as well!
    Perhaps that's what turned me off scrolling punch'em ups!
    I may have it on a megagames compilation somewhere but I've never been foolish enough to purposefully spend money on it!

I remember seeing it running on a Mega Drive in Roche's Stores and thinking it looked awesome and wanted to get a MegaDrive for xmas because of it... Luckily my parents got me an Amiga500 instead.

• Advertisement

Frak it anyway, Iain Banks is dying, damn it all together.
    That man has kept me sane since I was a teenager.
    Feck.

Master of the Universe

Gotta love that 80s/90s parent idea where 'if I have to get little Johnny a videogame system, I'm at least going to get him one he can learn on' resulting in Speccy/Commodore/Amiga purchases.

I'd love to know what percentage were actually used for any kind of homework :pac: I am assuming 0.

Gotta love that 80s/90s parent idea where 'if I have to get little Johnny a videogame system, I'm at least going to get him one he can learn on' resulting in Speccy/Commodore/Amiga purchases.

I'd love to know what percentage were actually used for any kind of homework :pac: I am assuming 0.

There's a very good spreadsheet program for the C64 that you input in BASIC. If you start it now you should be done & balancing ledgers by 2014

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Question for Mr. U:

Remember that film you found out about for me, Masao-Kun LOVE!?

I saw somewhere, Yesasia I think, that there is an R3 DVD out now from Taiwan. One web site says it has English subs, the other sites I've seen say only Taiwanese and Chinese subtitles.

Any ideas if the R3 has English subtitles? If so I am going to buy the DVD right away! The Blu disc is Japanese only unfortunately so I'd have to buy a normal DVD alas.

Taiwan releases can't be relied on for English subs. Hong Kong tend to be best for that. I had a look there and yeaasia says there's no subs on that R3, and they haven't steered me wrong before! Couldn't see much more info about it elsewhere, though. Will be a risk ordering it I'd say.

You could see if there's any fansubs knocking around for it you could add on to the DVD copy? A quick glance suggests not yet though, but I'm on mobile so can't check thoroughly at the moment!

Film definitely seems like the type that will never travel well (based on a Japanese variety show), so you probably can't expect releases in many more territories!

I don't know.

Deluxe Paint on the Amiga was amazing, and probably the best thing EA has ever given the world. The skills I would have started learning with it still serve me well in my work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Personally I love the old Altered Beast. Don't get me wrong, I know it's sh1te, but that's almost part of it's charm, I reckon. In the same way that I love terrible horror or action flicks. They're crappy, but fun.

Master of the Universe

I don't know.

Deluxe Paint on the Amiga was amazing, and probably the best thing EA has ever given the world. The skills I would have started learning with it still serve me well in my work today.

Nothing you couldn't have learned in Mario Paint :pac:

I don't know.

Drawing dicks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well getting a Windows 95 PC was the best thing I got for learning about computers. Between how unreliable W95 with stupid stuff like Direct X over writing your video drivers and the crappy quality of the Gateway 2000 CD drive which would fail every 4 months I got a lot of experience fixing PC problems and opening them up to mess around with them.

I do not miss the experience of spending hours just trying to get pc games to work.
    Pain in the nethers let me tell you.
    Is it still the same now?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well getting a Windows 95 PC was the best thing I got for learning about computers. Between how unreliable W95 with stupid stuff like Direct X over writing your video drivers and the crappy quality of the Gateway 2000 CD drive which would fail every 4 months I got a lot of experience fixing PC problems and opening them up to mess around with them.

Ah, not the same thing really. By the time Windows 95 based PCs were knocking about, a lot of people had them in the household and were using them for loads of different applications, going online etc.

What I was referring to were kids being bought Speccys rather than Nes's (how the hell do you pluralize NES?!) Amigas instead of Megadrives etc. I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of them were 100% used for playing games.

Well they were in my circles. Amstrads, Amigas, C64s, Speccys...games ahoy! Word processors/programming disks left by the wayside :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I learned to code on my good ole Amstrad 464 with the nasty green monitor.
    I think every child should still be made to learn BASIC in school :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Taiwan releases can't be relied on for English subs. Hong Kong tend to be best for that. I had a look there and yeaasia says there's no subs on that R3, and they haven't steered me wrong before! Couldn't see much more info about it elsewhere, though. Will be a risk ordering it I'd say.

You could see if there's any fansubs knocking around for it you could add on to the DVD copy? A quick glance suggests not yet though, but I'm on mobile so can't check thoroughly at the moment!

Film definitely seems like the type that will never travel well (based on a Japanese variety show), so you probably can't expect releases in many more territories!

Aha! Thanks Mr. U. I might take a punt on the Taiwan DVD then and look for some subs. :)

Picked up the Super Scope...

1czCrtl.jpg

Now... if only I had a SNES... and a CRT.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Picked up the Super Scope...

1czCrtl.jpg

Now... if only I had a SNES... and a CRT.

Where did you pick it up, at one of your dodgy burlesque nights? :p

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Where did you pick it up, at one of your dodgy burlesque nights? :p

I won it from RAGE.

I won it from RAGE.

I'll offer you one partly won trilby, & a near mint fedora for it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I won it from RAGE.

Omg how did they manage to part with such a super rare and expensive piece of kit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement