Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Hockey 2012-2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Masked Man wrote: »
    Mostly just fantasy sports. I have a little interest in Hockey so this and a hopefully cheaper gamecenter seem like the best way to grow that.

Definitely. Good to have a few new faces on board, if even for a great 2013-2014 season once this half-season is done.

If you're looking for a team to watch, the Penguins are about as good as it gets.

(Awaits backlash)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Yeah I'm definitely looking for a team to watch. Bruins never really stuck with me (and this was when they won the Stanley Cup), I'll keep an eye on the Pirates/Kings/Rangers but Minnesotta will probably be my main team to start the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yeah I'm definitely looking for a team to watch. Bruins never really stuck with me (and this was when they won the Stanley Cup), I'll keep an eye on the Pirates/Kings/Rangers but Minnesotta will probably be my main team to start the year.

They don't start till April... :P

Crap, I always make that mistake. Don't know how I can mistake the Penguins for a team that hasn't had a winning season in god knows how long... Maybe they're not the team for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Crap, I always make that mistake. Don't know how I can mistake the Penguins for a team that hasn't had a winning season in god knows how long... Maybe they're not the team for me.

Black, white and yellow too! Interesting fact, Pittsburgh is the only city where all major sports teams wear the same colours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Definitely. Good to have a few new faces on board, if even for a great 2013-2014 season once this half-season is done.

If you're looking for a team to watch, the Penguins are about as good as it gets.

(Awaits backlash)

To be fair to MrJoeSoap, the Pens are a class outfit but given your open position I would shop around. However, I would steer well clear of the Maple Leafs (Toronto) and the Canucks (Vancouver) for reasons that will become clear as you get more accustomed to the NHL.

The Wild (Minnesota) wouldn't be the hottest team in the NHL by any stretch of the imagination. However, we did get Gaborik from them, so I hold nothing against them. I am a NY Rangers fan myself and we are a good watch with a good mix of physical and skillful hockey. Boston will be good to watch this season and Capitals (Washington) will probably be awesome in the regular season and woeful post season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Wouldn't mind taking part in this if there is any spots left. Big Hawks fan and can't wait till games start again.

I know the Wild have been a very conservative team, but they signed the two biggest free agents (or so i'm reading anyway) and seem to have a very good farm system (Granlund is getting a lot of hype, and holy **** at this goal). It could be a good year and hopefully fun to watch.

I have a bit of thing for the Redskins so the Capitals are one of the teams I'm doing a bit of reading on. Boston is pretty much my default for teams to root for and I'll probably catch a few Bruins games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Ok I'm in and registered, using the name Midland Oracles. Looking forward to this, be my first time doing fantasy hockey so should be some fun.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

12 teams registered and ready to go. Anybody not able to make it tomorrow night for the draft?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

What time ?

What time ?

9.30pm Irish time.

I've got a couple of mock drafts done in the past few days, and I'm quite happy with my draft strategy. Anyone else been getting some practice in?

I've got a couple of mock drafts done in the past few days, and I'm quite happy with my draft strategy. Anyone else been getting some practice in?

Did one the other day. Want to get another in before the game. Have a strategy that I am confident with but am thinking about a plan B now.

COYW wrote: »
    Did one the other day. Want to get another in before the game. Have a strategy that I am confident with but am thinking about a plan B now.

Thoughts on the Rangers set-up for the season? Gaborik seems very low in the rankings, not sure if I'd take a punt on Rick Nash though. Rangers D-men are huge when it comes to blocking shots.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Haven't got a chance ! Was on holiday most of the past week and been busy since. I'm going to be winging it to be honest :( Hopefully the first nfl game ends at a reasonable time and won't distract me too much :P

Haven't got a chance ! Was on holiday most of the past week and been busy since. I'm going to be winging it to be honest :( Hopefully the first nfl game ends at a reasonable time and won't distract me too much :P

If there first game from last night is anything to go by, you won't have a hope!

As a patriots fan in his first fantasy hockey draft who hasn't had the time to do any mock drafts and only managed some research on goalies so far, winging it would be an understatement.

The big difference in ranking between different sites is also worrying.

Did one last night but was taking to long so switched it on auto and watched the Broncos game. Some of the rankings are a bit of a head scratcher.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Some of the rankings are a bit of a head scratcher.

Which ones in particular?

• Advertisement

Which ones in particular?

Think Toews is ranked very low and Rinne ranked very high to name two.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Think Toews is ranked very low and Rinne ranked very high to name two.

Toews PIM's are quite low, and he's never been a point-a-game player. Added to the concussion he suffered last year, I guess that is why he is down the rankings. Pat Sharp is the main man for the Hawks, in terms of Fantasy production. He was one of my key players last year.

Rinne led the league in wins last year, 3rd ranked Goalie seems about right.

Toews PIM's are quite low, and he's never been a point-a-game player. Added to the concussion he suffered last year, I guess that is why he is down the rankings. Pat Sharp is the main man for the Hawks, in terms of Fantasy production. He was one of my key players last year.

Rinne led the league in wins last year, 3rd ranked Goalie seems about right.

Rinne is without doubt an elite goalie but Nashville are a weaker side this year so he's going to see a lot more shots this year. Towes is a frustratingly slow starter but is meant to be symptom free and just have a gut feeling about him. I might be biased though.

Not an ideal day to be doing the draft, the number of trades being thrown about today is crazy!

Thoughts on the Rangers set-up for the season? Gaborik seems very low in the rankings, not sure if I'd take a punt on Rick Nash though. Rangers D-men are huge when it comes to blocking shots.

I am unsure about Nash in fantasy terms too. I have shortlisted him but as I said in the other thread, there is a massive difference between playing for the Rangers and the Jackets.

In the actual NHL, it really depends on the lines we play. In D-terms I think we are solid. Our shots blocked stats are awesome, as you said. We have just, within the hour, re-signed Del Zotto, who for me is our best D, "pound for pound". Hank is an interesting one. If he gets injured, we are screwed. I watched Martin Biron on a few occasion, in the flesh, twice last season, and he always fails to impress. Hank started in 75% of our games last season, so we need him to play 36-40 games this year in a compressed schedule, which is tough on him.

The real key to success is how we use Gaborik, Nash and Richards. Nash can play left or right, so do you build one strong line or "spread the wealth". All 3 should play on the same line on the PP but then I would go with :

Nash - Richards - Callahan
    Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik

If the PP clicks, Torts gets the lines right and we play a less conservative brand of hockey (more SOG), I think we will finish top three and have a really good bash at the cup.

I think we peeked too soon last year i.e. during the regular season and ran out of puff against the Devils. I still think a good skillful hockey team like the Pens will beat us in the playoffs though.

Haven't had a chance to be honest. Just going to have to wing it and hope to get what I want. I do have a couple of people in mind who I will be looking to pick off first, so hopefully they will still be available when I get to them.

Looking forward to it.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

pick no.12. I swear all drafts are rigged against me.

#9 for me. Far from ideal.

10th pick for me, gotta hope me first picks are still in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

10th pick for me, gotta hope me first picks are still in
    Me 6th which is fine for me :)

Advertisement