Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaboDirectPro12 2012/13 General Discussion (with transfers/season preview)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zebre
    What does that say about where the Lions are? Big signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Hagz wrote: »

:eek:

Great signing and on a 3 year deal too at which point he'll be Scottish qualified. That's exactly who I thought Munster should have been speaking with when they signed Stander. Strauss is a tank of a man. Extremely physical, well able to carry the ball, mobile and a good leader. Surprised a bigger side didn't come in for him based on his S15 showings this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Top signing by Glasgow, can play across the backrow and is a great player to watch. He's been criminally overlooked by SA so he could be IQ for Scotland after being excluded from the international scene.

I'd expect more players to leave the Lions shortly as they'll be in no fit state to compete in the play-off next year as their best players will be picked up by other clubs. There's plenty of young tyros in the team like Taute and Jantjies so their development will suffer as they won't get the exposure to high level rugby in the S15 in another squad that plays exciting rugby. For all the problems with the IRFU, SARU really is a level of incompetency ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I assumed they'd move a lot of players like that across to the Kings.

Big loss for SA if he does end up playing for Scotland. He may not ever have been a first team starter for SA but he's a very good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

2,025 attendance for Zebre vs Connacht, that's pretty disappointing and with Zebre's likely results it probably won't improve.

Only 8,000 went to see Ospreys vs Ulster, it seems it doesn't matter how many Rabos Ospreys win, the locals don't give a ****. Swansea City in the EPL probably doesn't help either. Then again there wasn't much more at the Munster game (some people saying 6-7k) but better opposition will likely get better attendance (I hope!).

Friday evenings are a bit of a disaster for Munster games. It's a long round-trip, made worse by having to drive through rush-hour traffic (though at least the tunnel has made a difference in Limerick).

It's slightly less of an issue for Leinster and Ulster as they have larger populations close to the grounds; Munster IMO are more dependant on fans coming from a wider geographical area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,155 ✭✭✭✭phog

For those of you who use twitter for rugby info/news/stats, I came across this one today.

Here's a taste of their tweets.
    Autograffeg Stats ‏@Pro12Stato
    @chrishenry678 was ulsters top tackler in the pro12 last season with 174, a success rate of 99%
    @UlsterRugby Nick Williams made 12 carries in round 2. This makes him the leagues top ball carrier with 28 carries, 2 ahead of @dentweezy .
    Casey Laulala of @Munsterrugby has made 8 offloads in the opening 2 rounds of the @RaboDirectPRO12 . His MVP score is currently 40 #mvp
    @Munsterrugby 's top defenders v Treviso in round 2 were Sean Dougall (11 tackles) and Dave O'Callaghan(10 tackles). #brickwall
    @Ian_madigan has kicked 11 from 12 this season so far which gives him a kicking success percentage of 92%. Total points so far = 33 pts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Zebre
    Madigan is the best place kicker in the league. :cool: #packyourbagsrog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Meh.

Stats for Leinster kickers are always skewed unnaturally because they're always running them in under the posts from the half way line.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebre
    92% eh.... WHAT ABOUT THE 8% HE MISSED EH?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Given the fact Leinster tend to score plenty of tries thus creating plenty of opportunity for kicks at goal, and that Madigan probably won't be called up for internationals anytime soon, he has a very realistic chance of winning the Golden boot, which would be quite something given what some were saying last year..

Hopefully they'll trust him even when McFadden is on the field, as he appears to have usurped Nacewa already.

• Advertisement

Zebre
    It's the exact same thing they said about Sexton, last seasons golden boot winner and best kicker % in all (club) competitions for the last 2 seasons (iirc) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

[Jackass] wrote: »
    It's the exact same thing they said about Sexton, last seasons golden boot winner and best kicker % in all (club) competitions for the last 2 seasons (iirc) :)

I think Ferg had it until he missed about 5 in one of the last games

Zebre
    Well if we ever end up in a penalty shoot out ala Leicester v Cardiff in 2009, I reckon we'd be in pretty safe hands. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Zebre
    its great to see madigan trusted as goal kicker finally. really impressed how leinster has handled his development.

hopefully him, jackson and keatley can keep improving and really challenge ROG for bench spot soon, with hopefully one getting a start v fiji in the AIs

Zebre
    HT in Swansea, Glasgow leading 15-0 vs Ospreys!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Zebre
    HT in Swansea, Glasgow leading 15-0 vs Ospreys!
    Webb in the bin to make the to make the situation worse for ospreys

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Zebre
    What the hell is wrong with the Ospreys this year?

Zebre
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with the Ospreys this year?
    Ospreys lost a lot of big names over the summer four starters anyway and god knows how many others through the team

Huw Bennett
    Paul James
    Shane Williams
    Tommy Bowe

Also Adam Jones is injured at the moment so thats five of the first choice team

Zebre
    7-25 Glasgow now, 3 tries scored.

Zebre
    7-25 Glasgow now, 3 tries scored.
    FT 28-10 to Glasgow

• Advertisement

Zebre
    Edinburgh 34-3 Zebre, BP already for Edinburgh. Still a bit to go in that game. Visser only got one try amazingly.

Zebre
    Edinburgh 34-3 Zebre, BP already for Edinburgh. Still a bit to go in that game. Visser only got one try amazingly.

Visser gets another one! 41-10 FT

Zebre are looking at a long run of losses, their next games are Ulster (H), Glasgow (A) and Ospreys (H) before they begin their HEC campaign.

What is going on with Ospreys? I'm stunned they are 0/3. They have a tough trip to Scarlets next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

What is going on with Ospreys? I'm stunned they are 0/3. They have a tough trip to Scarlets next weekend.

I'd be interested to know how many of the 76 people who voted for The Ospreys would stand over their choice now. It's a terrible start for them.

I know I'm biased, but I'm very impressed with Munster's start to the season. They've played some decent rugby.
    The top spot in the Rabo is still Leinsters for the taking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zebre
    Woah, losing in Swansea to a Scottish team is something I didn't predict. O's in serious trouble now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

What's really worrying for the Ospreys is that only Adam Jones is left to come back into the fold; that was pretty much their first-choice XV that got hammered at home by Glasgow (and not that different from the team that destroyed Munster not so long ago).

Strange times.

Zebre
    What's really worrying for the Ospreys is that only Adam Jones is left to come back into the fold; that was pretty much their first-choice XV that got hammered at home by Glasgow (and not that different from the team that destroyed Munster not so long ago).

Strange times.

That Munster team was crippled by injuries, their close win over Leinster in the final was far more impressive.

I've only seen one Ospreys game this season, their home loss to Ulster, I'd say their big problem is losing Tommy Bowe and Shane Williams and not replacing them with similar big names players, probably down to financial restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

That Munster team was crippled by injuries, their close win over Leinster in the final was far more impressive.

I've only seen one Ospreys game this season, their home loss to Ulster, I'd say their big problem is losing Tommy Bowe and Shane Williams and not replacing them with similar big names players, probably down to financial restrictions.

But they didn't beat Munster, they absolutely annihilated them and it looked for all the world like losing the 'galacticos' wasn't going to be an issue for them. I just wonder is there more going on there, e.g. is there a morale issue? Like, the 15 guys who took the field last night should not be getting a hiding at home to Glasgow.

Obviously it's going to be hard for any team to home-grow replacements for players like Williams, Bowe, but it seems to run deeper than that.

Zebre
    But they didn't beat Munster, they absolutely annihilated them and it looked for all the world like losing the 'galacticos' wasn't going to be an issue for them. I just wonder is there more going on there, e.g. is there a morale issue? Like, the 15 guys who took the field last night should not be getting a hiding at home to Glasgow.

Obviously it's going to be hard for any team to home-grow replacements for players like Williams, Bowe, but it seems to run deeper than that.

Funnily enough, the last two times Ospreys have won the league (and won a final at the RDS), their seasons started out very badly but they woke up come April/May and looked very strong.

Zebre
    This weekend's results:
    Ulster 20-19 Munster
    Ospreys 10-28 Glasgow
    Edinburgh 41-10 Zebre - TBP for Edinburgh
    Connacht 11-24 Scarlets - TBP for Scarlets
    Dragons 5-16 Cardiff Blues
    Treviso 18-19 Leinster

So, after three rounds:

Scarlets 14
    Ulster 12
    Edinburgh 10
    Munster 9
    Cardiff 9
    Leinster 9
    Glasgow 5
    Dragons 5
    Connacht 5
    Treviso 5
    Ospreys 2
    Zebre 0

Still early doors but Ospreys are 7 points off the pace already and travel to leaders Scarlets next weekend for a big derby.

Next weekend's fixtures:
    Scarlets vs Ospreys
    Glasgow vs Connacht
    Zebre vs Ulster
    Leinster vs Edinburgh
    Cardiff vs Treviso
    Munster vs Dragons (Thomond Park)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

In some of the match reports from the Treviso v Leinster game on the weekend it was reported that there may be the risk of the Benetton Family pulling out of Treviso Rugby which would be a massive worry for the Italian Rugby's ongoing participation in the Pro12.

I think their president lost to a Calvisano Rugby member to replace Dondi as FIR president. It said also that Benetton also pulled out of two other sporting bodies in Treviso.

Advertisement