Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaboDirectPro12 2012/13 General Discussion (with transfers/season preview)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zebre
    The tournament has really been spiced up by the surprise wins last weekend. Looks like it's set to be a cracker of a season....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebre
    .ak wrote: »
    The tournament has really been spiced up by the surprise wins last weekend. Looks like it's set to be a cracker of a season....

Treviso won 22-27 at Edinburgh tonight! Big result!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Zebre
    Wow! Bradley for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Treviso won 22-27 at Edinburgh tonight! Big result!
    The English were right all along, Edinburgh are sacrificing the league for the HEC again! I'm putting my money on them getting to the semis again before the bookies cop it.

Zebre
    ray jay wrote: »
    The English were right all along, Edinburgh are sacrificing the league for the HEC again! I'm putting my money on them getting to the semis again before the bookies cop it.

They are just crap. They had the weakest ever ERC pool and fluked a win over a dreadful Toulouse who imploded. The story that they ignored the league is a way of camouflaging their complete mediocrity and it gives Bradley a free ride. Munster and Saracens will butt hoke them in the Heineken. Racing will probably be as bad as them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

jacothelad wrote: »
    They are just crap. They had the weakest ever ERC pool and fluked a win over a dreadful Toulouse who imploded. The story that they ignored the league is a way of camouflaging their complete mediocrity and it gives Bradley a free ride. Munster and Saracens will butt hoke them in the Heineken. Racing will probably be as bad as them.

And even in that mediocre group the margin of victory in their six games was:

1 point, 1 point, 18 point loss, 7 points, 3 points and their 4 try win over a London Irish team that was already out of the competition.

They weren't awful in the H Cup last year, but their success has been blown out of proportion, a lot of things went their way.

Zebre

As long as they finish above Cardiff (who are crap as well), I don't care! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Scarlets
    Visser already has 8 tries this season, after 6 games. There was doubt surrounding whether he could be top scorer again this season due to his international involvement, but I think he'll do it again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hagz wrote: »
    Visser already has 8 tries this season, after 6 games. There was doubt surrounding whether he could be top scorer again this season due to his international involvement, but I think he'll do it again.

Wow the 8 tries would have him as joint third last season, joint fifth the season before, and joint second the season before that!

Tox56 wrote: »
    They weren't awful in the H Cup last year, but their success has been blown out of proportion, a lot of things went their way.
    Yeah, realistically if Toulouse had lifted a finger they'd have knocked Edinburgh out in the quarter final. No one would be making a big deal about a team that got out of a weak group but were beaten by the first strong opposition they faced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah, realistically if Toulouse had lifted a finger they'd have knocked Edinburgh out in the quarter final. No one would be making a big deal about a team that got out of a weak group but were beaten by the first strong opposition they faced.

Yeah because Toulouse certainly didn't lift a finger. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Results like the Toulouse-Edinburgh match do happen, and fair play to Edinburgh for getting a famous win, but Toulouse clearly weren't at their best last season. They'd already lost twice in the pool stages and were extremely lucky to even reach the knockouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Zebre

Yeah because Toulouse certainly didn't lift a finger. :rolleyes:

In fairness Toulouse were very poor that day. Sure weren't Edinbrgh down to 13 men at one point? Edinburgh also got a bit of luck with a blatant knock-on immediately before their first try that the ref missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Zebre
    I think they're better than people give them credit. Edinburgh would have beaten Ulster if they'd a scrum.

Zebre
    profitius wrote: »
    I think they're better than people give them credit. Edinburgh would have beaten Ulster if they'd a scrum.
    No they wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Not a hope the Racing Metro games from last year were last roll of the dice type affairs, that won't be repeated.

Zebre
    No they wouldn't.

The scrum won the match for Ulster and Pienaar didn't miss a kick. Ulster looked very flat that day and it was a home game for them.

Zebre
    profitius wrote: »
    The scrum won the match for Ulster and Pienaar didn't miss a kick. Ulster looked very flat that day and it was a home game for them.

O.K. I'll see your 'If Edinburgh had a scrum' and raise you an 'If Wannenburg hadn't dropped the ball over the line' and an 'If Gilroy and Pienaar hadn't fecked up a try' and another 'If Trimble hadn't knocked on cave's pass with the line open to him'. 'If Gilroy had scored in the 66th minute as he should'. Do you see how this goes? Ulster played poorly yet still conspired to butcher 3 or 4 gilt edged chances, none of which were scrum related. If Edinburgh had a team capable of beating Ulster they would have. They didn't so they didn't. If my aunt had testicles she'd be in a circus.

Zebre
    TABLE:
    Ulster 21 (game in hand: Zebre away)
    Scarlets 20
    Glasgow 18
    Leinster 17
    Munster 14
    Ospreys 14
    Cardiff 14
    Treviso 13
    Edinburgh 12
    Connacht 10
    NG Dragons 9
    Zebre 1 (game in hand: Ulster at home)

Ulster looking very good at the moment and they have a game in hand they should win.

Zebre
    O.K. I'll see your 'If Edinburgh had a scrum' and raise you an 'If Wannenburg hadn't dropped the ball over the line' and an 'If Gilroy and Pienaar hadn't fecked up a try' and another 'If Trimble hadn't knocked on cave's pass with the line open to him'. 'If Gilroy had scored in the 66th minute as he should'. Do you see how this goes? Ulster played poorly yet still conspired to butcher 3 or 4 gilt edged chances, none of which were scrum related. If Edinburgh had a team capable of beating Ulster they would have. They didn't so they didn't. If my aunt had testicles she'd be in a circus.

But Ulsters scrum was the difference. It clearly was the difference. Yes its a big IF but my original point still stands. Edinburgh are better than given credit. Their attitude towards the Pro 12 is another matter.

• Advertisement

Zebre
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19862740

I can see the WRU 'nationalising' the regions soon. While it's important to pay off debt, the club game needs money too!

Zebre
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19862740

I can see the WRU 'nationalising' the regions soon. While it's important to pay off debt, the club game needs money too!

I'd say thats their goal. The got the millionaires to pump money into the regions and now they'll try and take over but not without a fight. They should be putting more money into the regions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Zebre
    It intrigues me how Wales can be so much better then Ireland on the field while being so much worse off it.

Zebre
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    It intrigues me how Wales can be so much better then Ireland on the field while being so much worse off it.

Gatland_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Even with Regionalisation, the club versus union row hasn't improved in Wales.

The Regions, all club owned except for 50% of the Dragons which is owned by WRU, have rejected an offer by the WRU to use the money they receive for their Welsh internationals for central contracts instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20001262

Its a pity, this should really have been agreed with regionalisation. The IRFU system has its faults but im bloody glad we don't have same problems Wales are experiencing at domestic level.

I'm looking forward to hearing the region's side of the story on this one. Just seems absolutely ridiculous to turn down such an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Scarlets
    Truthfully I'd say the regions looked at the numbers and decided that they would be better actually getting money that they can at least put against other things rather then just having a few players salaries covered

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Truthfully I'd say the regions looked at the numbers and decided that they would be better actually getting money that they can at least put against other things rather then just having a few players salaries covered

They may have gone in thinking that the central contracts would be outside the funding they currently receive from the WRU.

The French clubs will be looking at the likes of North, Roberts, Lydiate and Faletau with more interest now. Would be bad for the Pro 12 if they depart.

Winters wrote: »
    They may have gone in thinking that the central contracts would be outside the funding they currently receive from the WRU.

The French clubs will be looking at the likes of North, Roberts, Lydiate and Faletau with more interest now. Would be bad for the Pro 12 if they depart.
    Quite true, and considering the plans to expand the Top14, the French demand for talent will only increase. I wouldn't be surprised to see some players leaving Irish sides either, there are only so many central contracts that can be handed out.

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19716087

Very interesting article on the Championship soccer teams implementing a dynamic pricing system, similar to that used by teams in America. The price of tickets changes as demand for each game changes, while always remaining above the cost that STHs have paid.

This could really help attract fans to the lesser games on the RDP12 calendar.

Advertisement