Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaboDirectPro12 2012/13 General Discussion (with transfers/season preview)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebre
    Is that Treviso's new home jersey? Tbh I liked their hooped one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Ulster
    Is that Treviso's new home jersey? Tbh I liked their hooped one.

Wasps jersey is rancid.

Some nice off loading from Treviso throughout that clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

That try from Treviso just after 3mins into the video includes some incredibly good offloading! The build up starts just after 2mins & continues for a full minute of multiple phases & countless passes.

Obviously easier to do in pre-season when defences aren't as committed & the conditions are nice & dry, but still pretty impressive stuff!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Some of the weekends pre season results (neither of the Scottish teams were playing as far as I know):

Bayonne 15-20 Ulster
    La Rochelle 31-7 Munster
    Leinster 33-22 Gloucester
    Exeter 6 - 8 Connacht

Biarritz 40-3 Dragons
    Clermont Auvergne 49-25 Ospreys
    Narbonne 17-9 Scarlets
    Cardiff 25 - Worchester 30

Treviso 32-15 London Wasps
    Zebre 30-28 Northampton Saints

All of the Welsh teams lost though they did have stronger opposition, except for Cardiff, than most other Rabo teams.

Zebre
    Narbonne are a mid table ProD2 side so Scarlets will be disappointed with that result, at least in Munster's case La Rochelle should challenge for promotion this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Zebre
    great result for connacht, exeter hammered us last year and we sent out a very experimental team containing a load of newcomers (props were academy and sub academy)

Zebre
    Ryan Jones out till Round 6 through injury.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7985145,00.html

Ospreys have cut their squad for this year, I don't think they will have as much depth as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Zebre
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Some of the weekends pre season results (neither of the Scottish teams were playing as far as I know):

Bayonne 15-20 Ulster
    La Rochelle 31-7 Munster
    Leinster 33-22 Gloucester
    Exeter 6 - 8 Connacht

Biarritz 40-3 Dragons
    Clermont Auvergne 49-25 Ospreys
    Narbonne 17-9 Scarlets
    Cardiff 25 - Worchester 30

Treviso 32-15 London Wasps
    Zebre 30-28 Northampton Saints

All of the Welsh teams lost though they did have stronger opposition, except for Cardiff, than most other Rabo teams.

You probably can't read too much into these games but that's a great result for Connacht. Good win for Ulster too and the Italian sides will be pleased as well.

Disappointing for the Welshies and Munster but for the Celtic teams these are more like high intensity fitness games and the results are fairly meaningless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Some other weekend friendly results:

Ospreys 10 - 21 Bath
    Worchester 22 - 7 Lanelli
    Gloucester 20 - Cardiff 8
    Dragons 18 - London Irish 12

Newcastle 21 - 3 Edinburgh
    Sale 49 - 27 Glasgow

Treviso 14 - 11 Saracens

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Let's not forget

Quins 45 - 11 Connacht
    Saints 43 - 0 Leinster
    Ulster 14 - 14 Leicester
    Munster 24 - 9 Bristol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zebre
    488227_495940163767463_798505676_n.jpg

lol.... wut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Scarlets
    do Glasgow and the 2 Italian teams not have main sponsors?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Zebre
    Is Glasgow's main sponsor the color blue?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Zebre
    do Glasgow and the 2 Italian teams not have main sponsors?
    Dunno about Glasgow

Zebre don't have main sponsors or indeed any sponsors on their shirt that I can tell
    http://www.newrugbykits.com/2012/08/new-zebre-rugby-jersey-2012-2013-puma-zebre-kits-12-13-home-away-heineken-cup/

Treviso's sponsors are higher up and their player happens to be blocking them from display with knees and arms

Errea, Tim and Textil are the sponsors that should visible
    http://www.jmsports.co.uk/store/products/large/1324348802_15249_L.jpg

Think I might sponsor Zebre.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Zebre
    tolosenc wrote: »
    Is Glasgow's main sponsor the color blue?

Apparently they are searching for the "right fit" in terms of sponsorship. I saw Glasgow supporters even suggesting potential sponsors for them on Twitter. I hope they get that sorted before the start of the season!

Zebre
    Secondary broadcasters until January confirmed:

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/schedule.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Secondary broadcasters until January confirmed:

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/schedule.php

Cue howls of outrage from Leinster fans that the first game isn't being shown...

Zebre
    It's on S4C, which will have English commentary on the red button.

Zebre
    Cue howls of outrage from Leinster fans that the first game isn't being shown...

I think most of the outrage was that a number of games in the RDS weren't being shown last season. People can understand one or two games here and there. But when a few of your home games that are played near spitting distance from the national broadcasters main site aren't being shown then there tends to be a bit of bad feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Zebre
    molloyjh wrote: »
    I think most of the outrage was that a number of games in the RDS weren't being shown last season. People can understand one or two games here and there. But when a few of your home games that are played near spitting distance from the national broadcasters main site aren't being shown then there tends to be a bit of bad feeling.

I imagine its possible some teams may not want their home games televised in an effort to increase attendances?

Zebre
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    I imagine its possible some teams may not want their home games televised in an effort to increase attendances?

I've never heard that before. I suppose it's possible, but is it not irrelevant also? The television stations are there to provide for their customers, i.e. the viewers, not sporting teams. And not everyone can make the games, especially Thursday or Friday kick offs. Not having it on the tele doesn't change that.

Either way it's not something I'm overly concerned about personally. I'm lucky enough to both live in Dublin and only work down the road from the RDS so I'm not affected by the dates or times of kick-offs. As for away games I have Sky so again it hasn't been an issue. The only game that I couldn't watch either live or on the TV was the Aironi game away last season. I'm just playing devils advocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

In some sports league, I cant remember where, a match can only be televised when a certain % of tickets have been sold. It certainly makes some sense. I think it was part of the TV deal negotiated by the league in question. Might be the NFL in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Scarlets
    molloyjh wrote: »
    I've never heard that before. I suppose it's possible, but is it not irrelevant also? The television stations are there to provide for their customers, i.e. the viewers, not sporting teams. And not everyone can make the games, especially Thursday or Friday kick offs. Not having it on the tele doesn't change that.

It happens a lot in most sports. In American Football matches aren't shown by local providers so as not to effect ticket sales. I think the same is true for the 3pm saturday kick offs in the English premiership. Setanta were allowed show them here as it wouldn't effect sales but in England neither Sky or ESPN show the 3pm games

Zebre
    It happens a lot in most sports. In American Football matches aren't shown by local providers so as not to effect ticket sales. I think the same is true for the 3pm saturday kick offs in the English premiership. Setanta were allowed show them here as it wouldn't effect sales but in England neither Sky or ESPN show the 3pm games

Every days a school day. I wasn't aware of that (I'd heard about the American Football but not the Premiership).

Zebre
    Cardiff's Chris Czekaj out for 3 months, another blow to Cardiff with Jamie Roberts already out till Dec/New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Sweet Jesus,they're dropping like flies.I think the executives of Premiership Rugby are after putting a voodoo curse on the Pro 12.

Zebre
    From a Lions POV, I really wanted to see Hogg burst into action this season, probably at outside centre. Now's he's touch and go for the AIs, dang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Scarlets
    Ah disaster! Hopefully he can pick right up where he left off after this injury.

My favourite Scottish player, have had my eye on him for a while and really like him. Hopefully this won't hurt his Lions chances, I'd love to see him get on the tour.

Advertisement