Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaboDirectPro12 2012/13 General Discussion (with transfers/season preview)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Zebre
    I find it a weird signing though, they let Kelly go to London Scottish and sign a foreign player instead of him. I was reading an Edinburgh Rugby message board, a lot of fans are not impressed with their team signing average foreigners.

I wouldn't be either if they were my team but last season their second team were clearly not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebre
    profitius wrote: »
    I wouldn't be either if they were my team but last season their second team were clearly not good enough.

IN: John Yapp (PR, Cardiff Blues), WP Nel (PR, Cheetahs), Isak van der Westhuizen (LK, Cheetahs), Perry-John Parker (LK, Esher), Dimitri Basilaia (FL, Valence d'Agen), Richie Rees (SH, Cardiff Blues), Greig Tonks (CT, Northampton), Ben Atiga (CT, Otago), Mike Penn (FB, Nottingham) + Andy Titterell

OUT: Kyle Traynor (PR, Bristol), Andrew Kelly (HK, London Scottish), Ulyses Gamboa (PR), Jack Gilding (PR), Esteban Lozada (LK, Agen), Alan MacDonald (FL), Mike Blair (SH, Brive), Phil Godman (FH, London Scottish), Jim Thompson (WG, London Scottish), Chris Paterson (FB, retired)

7 foreigners (3 uncapped) + 2 SQ players arriving.

8 SQ players, 2 foreigners leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Hmmm. I suppose the difference between Ireland and Scotland is that the IRFU and the provinces have the cash to keep the best players at home, and therefore you build a critical mass of players here which means Ireland can afford to effectively ignore players in the UK for national team selection.

With pro rugby in Scotland the way it is, I'd say the best tactic is go for short-term success, try to build more of a following and get more punters through the gates at the Edinburgh and Glasgow matches, then worry about building a national squad later.

They have to try something different, they can't continue like they have been the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Scarlets
    Full list of fan written previews here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Ulster
    Edinburgh sign Andy Titterell as hooker cover.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7953335,00.html

They're really splashing the cash. Its good for the Rabo league though because at least we know they'll be trying to win every game this season.

Absolutely, apparently if you collected eight tokens from inside special bags of Walkers crisp and send them off with a stamped, addressed envelope you get sent Andy Titterell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zebre
    Teferi wrote: »
    Full list of fan written previews here.

Is this your work Thomond?

Zebre
    How do people think the Ospreys will do this season?

Ulster

Losing finalists to Munster

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Other than Shane Williams and Paul James the 23 that beat Leinster in the Rabo final is still with them so they should be handy enough. They have reduced their squad size alot so could struggle if Wales call up Beck, Biggar, Adam Jones, Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Ryan Jones, and Tipuric.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Zebre
    CatFromHue wrote: »

Other than Shane Williams and Paul James the 23 that beat Leinster in the Rabo final is still with them so they should be handy enough. They have reduced their squad size alot so could struggle if Wales call up Beck, Biggar, Adam Jones, Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Ryan Jones, and Tipuric.

Totally agree, top rabo teams can end up losing a huge number of first team players for big chunks of the season, so just because they retain a strong first team doesn't mean that they will be able to remain competitive if they have gutted the rest of the squad, who are the guys who pick up the slack when the first team are away on Wales duty.

• Advertisement

Zebre
    I think the Ospreys will find it harder this season for that reason too. As well as that they won some controversial games last season and had an injury free run with fewer Welsh call ups than you'd expect. Their fans are confident and not too concerned about the players lost but they're weakened by the loss of Bowe, James and Williams.

The new coach seems to have been a breath of fresh air for them and they have young players coming through as well as bigger crowds expected. Still with other teams strengthening I can easily see the Ospreys slipping down a few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Zebre
    And with the volatile nature of club rugby support in Wales, a season or two not making the playoffs could be very damaging.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They (Ospreys) did have some tax issues (after the Rabo final they were issued with a winding up order) that I think have been cleared up now but I'd still view them as the most competitive of the Welsh teams. If they can continue with how they finished last season they should be able to make the play offs.

IN: John Yapp (PR, Cardiff Blues), WP Nel (PR, Cheetahs), Isak van der Westhuizen (LK, Cheetahs), Perry-John Parker (LK, Esher), Dimitri Basilaia (FL, Valence d'Agen), Richie Rees (SH, Cardiff Blues), Greig Tonks (CT, Northampton), Ben Atiga (CT, Otago), Mike Penn (FB, Nottingham) + Andy Titterell

OUT: Kyle Traynor (PR, Bristol), Andrew Kelly (HK, London Scottish), Ulyses Gamboa (PR), Jack Gilding (PR), Esteban Lozada (LK, Agen), Alan MacDonald (FL), Mike Blair (SH, Brive), Phil Godman (FH, London Scottish), Jim Thompson (WG, London Scottish), Chris Paterson (FB, retired)

It looks like Tim Visser agrees with ye:

"I know it is hampering young Scottish talent but we need to be more competitive in domestic league form than we ever have, especially with the expectations we built last season (reaching a Heineken Cup semi-final).

"Last year it was very evident that the period when the internationalists were away cost us the league. We have been able to bring players through though (Matt Scott, Tom Brown, Dave Denton and Lee Jones who won first caps last season) and that is another reason why we now have had to look further afield."

http://www.espnscrum.com/rabodirect-pro12-2012-13/rugby/story/167904.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I can see the Ospreys concentrating on finally getting over their HC hoodoo this year, so I think their Raboo push might suffer as a result

Would love to see Ulster in the play-offs and I reckon they could have a big enough squad to compete on both fronts this year

Ulster could struggle a bit at the start of the season which ended up causing them problems last season. Pienaar is away with SA (I think anyway) and Wallace and Marshall may not start the season for a couple of games due to being on tour in June. Also Wallace had an operation done in the Summer so that could stop him too. This leaves them light of experience at 9,10, and 12.

Zebre
    Ulster needs more consistency. They've strengthened but so have most other teams apart from the Welsh. I think Ulster should make the playoffs.

Interestingly the Ulster fans think losing Ian Humphreys will have a negative impact on their attacking game. They were top try scorers last season and iHumph was heavily involved in that. The addition of Payne, Bowe and Luke Marshall will make their backline even more dangerous.

I forgot about Payne, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

I still think Paddy Wallace and Darren Cave will be the first choice centres for Ulster this year. Especially if Jackson is the No.10.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Zebre
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    I forgot about Payne, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

I still think Paddy Wallace and Darren Cave will be the first choice centres for Ulster this year. Especially if Jackson is the No.10.

And rightly so given the way they both played last season, particularly Wallace who was excellent for Ulster. Still Paddy is 33 in the next few weeks so it would be nice to see Luke Marshall step up this season as an emerging alternative.

Based on last season Spence will be first choice centre cover for both Wallace and Cave but we've a new coach and I wonder whether our Kiwi coach will he have a preference for a 2nd 5/8 type 12 (which both Wallace and Marshall are) and therefore will that mean Marshall getting more of a look in...he has to stay fit of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebre
    Zebre sign Waratah Daniel Halangahu (utility back).

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/14398.php

• Advertisement

Ulster
    bilston wrote: »
    And rightly so given the way they both played last season, particularly Wallace who was excellent for Ulster. Still Paddy is 33 in the next few weeks so it would be nice to see Luke Marshall step up this season as an emerging alternative.

Based on last season Spence will be first choice centre cover for both Wallace and Cave but we've a new coach and I wonder whether our Kiwi coach will he have a preference for a 2nd 5/8 type 12 (which both Wallace and Marshall are) and therefore will that mean Marshall getting more of a look in...he has to stay fit of course...

Cave's form was good last year but I think Spence has far more potential. Would like to see him get more game time this season or move to another team.

Zebre

Cave's form was good last year but I think Spence has far more potential. Would like to see him get more game time this season or move to another team.

I'm not sure about that but in fairness to Spence last season was a bit stop start for him.

Ulster
    I'm not sure about that but in fairness to Spence last season was a bit stop start for him.

Well Cave is a 13 and nothing else so its there or nowhere for him. Spence is a 13 and a winger at a push so realistically you'll never see them as a centre pairing. In my book Cave,Spence and Earls are the succession options to BOD and I'd hate not to see one of them playing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Zebre
    Well Cave is a 13 and nothing else so its there or nowhere for him. Spence is a 13 and a winger at a push so realistically you'll never see them as a centre pairing. In my book Cave,Spence and Earls are the succession options to BOD and I'd hate not to see one of them playing.
    Spence played a lot at 12 last year too

Zebre

Eoin Griffin is in the mix too. He was my vote last season but injuries set him back a bit.

Zebre

Sorry I wasn't too clear in my post, what I meant was that I'm not sure about Spence having far more potential than Cave...at least not at 13.

Zebre
    Cardiff beat the Cheetahs in South Africa on saturday 31 - 32. They've lost a lot of players but maybe the new coach will make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Zebre
    Just looking at the TV Coverage of the fixtures.

The first coverage of a Munster match on RTE is 29th December v Ulster.
    No coverage on RTE of Connacht.
    RTE only covering 5 games until the end of the year.

Thank goodness for freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭phog

OldRio wrote: »
    Just looking at the TV Coverage of the fixtures.

The first coverage of a Munster match on RTE is 29th December v Ulster.
    No coverage on RTE of Connacht.
    RTE only covering 5 games until the end of the year.

Thank goodness for freesat.

The host broadcaster is only listed for the moment, RTE or TG4 may purchase and broadcast games where they are not the host broadcaster.

• Advertisement

Zebre beat Northampton 30-28 and Treviso beat Wasps 32-15 in their pre-season friendlies last night. Northampton fielded two different teams for each half but it looks like all their big players got a half.

Highlights from the Treviso game are on their youtube channel

Advertisement