Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you consider a 'culchie' to be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

getz wrote: »
    city status in the UK can only be granted by the monarchy,in the case of gt manchester it encompasses the city of salford.

Dont think so buddy.

An act of parliament has to be approved by the monarchy right?
    If it does then Salford was given its own city status in 1972
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Salford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

there is a area in london that is known as london town ,its one sq mile

Nope, that's the City of London, with the dragons at each entrance to the city, (Farringdon etc).

"The City of London is an area in central London, England. In the medieval period it constituted most of London, but the conurbation has grown far beyond it.[2] As the City’s boundaries have remained almost unchanged since the Middle Ages, it is now only a tiny part of the metropolis, though it remains a notable part of central London, holds city status in its own right, and is a separate ceremonial county.
    It is often referred to as the City (often written on maps as "City") or the Square Mile, as it is just over one square mile (1.12 sq mi/2.90 km2)[3] in area. These terms are also often used as metonyms for the United Kingdom's financial services industry, which continues a notable history of being based in the City.[4]"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,187 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

there is a area in london that is known as london town ,its one sq mile

Nope, there is not. There is the City of London which conforms roughly to the area you describe. It has it's own Lord Mayor, police force etc.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Apologies for missin the n in narrow.

What "area" of a town do you know which has its own Lord Mayor, police force etc? Where do you draw the boundary of London? Is Croydon part of London? Did you know that until 1885 the counties of Surrey, Middlesex etc basically carried up to the walls of the City of London? The point I'm trying to get across is that you need to have a similar eye to both cities or both large metropolitan areas if you like.

So you dont doubt that greater Manchester is in fact not a city?

Of course it's not a city, it's effectively a county. That's where the difference lies with Dublin, that Dublin includes Meath, Wexford and Kildare in it's population count. That would be like Manchester Metropolitan District including South West Lancashire in it's figures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I was raised in a mixed-marriage family. My Ma a jackeen, my Dad a culchie...
    Wooly geansaí and adidas tracky bottoms = ridicule

My childhood was tough.
    :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Medusa22 wrote: »
    What do you consider a 'culchie' to be?
    My mother in law.
    A right one! :o

summerskin wrote: »
    Of course it's not a city, it's effectively a county. That's where the difference lies with Dublin, that Dublin includes Meath, Wexford and Kildare in it's population count. That would be like Manchester Metropolitan District including South West Lancashire in it's figures.

I think that was someone using the greater dublin area population becasue someone had used the greater manchester area population.

Which lead to the reason why i was trying to distinguish the actual City(Large or important town) of Manchester from this greater Manchester area so a proper comparision could be done with Dublin.
    The population of Dublin city as oppossed to dublin county is 527,612 according to wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

People who wear their county jersey when they go abroad to identify themselves to fellow boggers and to let the natives know that they are Irish and "great craic".

Their main topic of conversation will be "What pubs are showing the match ?"

From my experience, Cork people and Dubs do this more than anyone.

City status in the UK is a legal concept; Manchester has had that status since the 1850s but the area covered by the city status has a population of approx 500,000 hence what you might regard as my pedantic approach. If you want to regard "Greater Manchester" as a city, nothing will stop you but a comparison with " London" would be with Greater London. The metro area of Manchester also includes a number of other boroughs/towns which have sought city status - Salford successfully. I seek not to tell you which definition of city you should use, I was merely pointing out an inconsistency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Isn't Rochdale in Lancashire? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you say "keep er lit"

Sea Filly wrote: »

They all used to be Lancashire until Greater Manchester was formed in 1974. Most of us would still say we are from Lancashire. Lancashire cricket club play at Old Trafford for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

so is bury but its still part of gt manchester

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Nope, there is not. There is the City of London which conforms roughly to the area you describe. It has it's own Lord Mayor, police force etc.
    london town-a particular suburb of london,the town,or london town,is also the nickname used for the city of london,[wiki answers]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

They all used to be Lancashire until Greater Manchester was formed in 1974. Most of us would still say we are from Lancashire. Lancashire cricket club play at Old Trafford for example.

So really, we're coming down to technicalities over Manchester's supposed dwarving of Dublin?

london town-a particular suburb of london,the town,or london town,is also the nickname used for the city of london,[wiki answers]

Only in songs by Kanye West or Fergie!!!

so is bury but its still part of gt manchester

Not anymore, since 1974 Bury has no longer officially been a part of Lancashire. These are the only boroughs in Lancs now:

1. West Lancashire
    2. Chorley
    3. South Ribble
    4. Fylde
    5. Preston
    6. Wyre
    7. Lancaster
    8. Ribble Valley
    9. Pendle
    10. Burnley
    11. Rossendale
    12. Hyndburn
    13. Blackpool (Unitary)
    14. Blackburn with Darwen (Unitary)

I'll always be a Lancastrian though, not a Greater Mancunian.

Not anymore, since 1974 Bury has no longer officially been a part of Lancashire. These are the only boroughs in Lancs now:

1. West Lancashire
    2. Chorley
    3. South Ribble
    4. Fylde
    5. Preston
    6. Wyre
    7. Lancaster
    8. Ribble Valley
    9. Pendle
    10. Burnley
    11. Rossendale
    12. Hyndburn
    13. Blackpool (Unitary)

But that would make you the equivalent of a culchie Lancastrian as you're not from Lancaster!

So really, we're coming down to technicalities over Manchester's supposed dwarving of Dublin?

Nope, I just mentioned earlier in the thread that Manchester was one of many cities that i had lived in that i felt were more cosmopolitan than Dublin, which is purely my opinion. Someone else brought size into it. I find Manchester more cosmopolitan, perhaps because it has always been an international centre for business going back to the Industrial Revolution, meaning that many different cultures are represented there, along with all the possibilities for food, entertainment etc that provides. It's no New York or London, certainly, but in my opinion it has much more to offer than Dublin.

as it is, it's impossible to compare the two as Manchester has sprawled significantly, particularly into Trafford and Salford. In fact you can drive the whole length of Greater Manchester without there being a significant border or gap between it's constituent towns.

• Advertisement

But that would make you the equivalent of a culchie Lancastrian as you're not from Lancaster!

In one of those bizarre little follies, Lancaster is smaller than most other towns in Lancashire, and is significantly more rural.

That said I'd be considered a culchie for being from the Saddleworth area of Oldham, which is mostly fields and farms, a skanger/chav because we moved and I grew up in a council estate, a posh twat because I went to private school and a city boy because i spent 15 years split between london, geneva and new york.

And now the full circle as i live in rural clare and am apparently a culchie again....(in England we call culchies "sheep-shaggers, well at least in the north west we do, or woollybacks in some areas)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

Felexicon wrote: »
    Dublin people who know this tend to take a bit more offence to being called jacks

Isn't jackeen the more appropriate word?
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jackeen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bombay Allee

should not you be making hay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

1. West Lancashire
    2. Chorley
    3. South Ribble
    4. Fylde
    5. Preston
    6. Wyre
    7. Lancaster
    8. Ribble Valley
    9. Pendle
    10. Burnley
    11. Rossendale
    12. Hyndburn
    13. Blackpool (Unitary)

you'll always be a woolyback to sharp scousers and streetwise mancs, no insult intended, just showing off my knowledge of the north west :pac:

dd972 wrote: »

1. West Lancashire
    2. Chorley
    3. South Ribble
    4. Fylde
    5. Preston
    6. Wyre
    7. Lancaster
    8. Ribble Valley
    9. Pendle
    10. Burnley
    11. Rossendale
    12. Hyndburn
    13. Blackpool (Unitary)

you'll always be a woolyback to sharp scousers and streetwise mancs, no insult intended, just showing off my knowledge of the north west :pac:

As I said a post or two ago....

"And now the full circle as i live in rural clare and am apparently a culchie again....(in England we call culchies "sheep-shaggers, well at least in the north west we do, or woollybacks in some areas)"

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

more importantly ...

Who's bringing the horse to France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I don't think that's right. When people say "London Town" I think they just mean London in general. When people say "The City" they mean the City of London which is what you're talking about. That's always the way I've known it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Felexicon wrote: »
    Yep. They are actually called Jacks because the pale was the last place on the island to fly the union jack at full mast during the rising.

Dublin people who know this tend to take a bit more offence to being called jacks

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

If you are gonna use a term to insult people, please get the facts behind it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Why are you all so Dublin obsessed?

Anyway, you know your a culchie when you love big engined 1970's American V6 and V8 muscle cars. (and you can rebuild the engines)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Culchies often use the phrase "well wha" after any sentence

Advertisement