Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you consider a 'culchie' to be?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

in a nutshell,

a culchie is from anywhere outside of Dublin

A Jackeen is for any Dub.

Doesn't matter how you live or what you have - a dub is a jack, the rest of ireland are culchies.

That's it - it's quite simple really.

Let's not make a meal of it okay??

Thats it from a Dublin perspective. Most people outside of Dublin don't use that word. I don't use jakeen or culchie. Its far too black and white. Outside of Dublin we still know there is a difference between someone from cork city and cork county, someone who grew up in a farming community and someone who grew up in a town. There are lots of subtle differences throughout Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

kfallon wrote: »
    Culchies often use the phrase "well wha" after any sentence

And the term "some dose", eg. "she's some dose". Anyone who uses that is pure culchie.

I've no idea what it means though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah I don't think the word 'Jackeen' is used much in the country. I know in my own locality people just say the Dubs. The use of Culchie still seems to be prevalent in the capital though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I was once told by a relative of mine (who grew up in the Liberties) that the term "culchie" originally applied to anyone who lived far enough away from Christchurch cathedral not to be able to hear the bells ringing. By that definition anyone living in the suburbs, which in olden days were self contained villages & a considerable journey away (especially if you couldn't afford a carriage to take you & had to walk) would not be considered a real Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Compared to Tokyo or London, Dublin is a little backwater.

A culchie is someone who is from the countryside who acts like a simpleton ie.going to mass every sunday and talking like a farmer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

John Doe1 wrote: »

Tokyo and London are alpha cities, of which there is only a handful in the world. Bit disingenuous comparing Dublin to them.

A culchie is someone who is from the countryside who acts like a simpleton ie.going to mass every sunday and talking like a farmer

That's everyone outside Dublin so. ;)

Then most cities are a backwater compared to Tokyo if that's how you want to look at it.. Not really sure what your point is there. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

el diablo wrote: »
    That's everyone outside Dublin so. ;)

Uh huh:rolleyes:

I've went to college in dublin, ive visited the bastion of cosmopolitan culture that is cabra:p

Uh huh:rolleyes:

I've went to college in dublin, ive visited the bastion of cosmopolitan culture that is cabra:p

Just winding you up. ;) I've never been to Cabra so I can't comment. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

So people in the country talk like farmers? But we're not all farmers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Anyone who doesn't round off an "oh" sound :p
    Double points if you at "ah" to it as well, so the word "No" is pronounced like "Noah" (Biblical Noah of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

From my experience being born and raised in Dublin I find that Dubliners use the word "culchie" to apply to people who aren't from Dublin; little thought seems to be given as to whether they're from a town or not - it's sort of a Dublin/Not Dublin thing.

I think for those outside Dublin (dirty culchies! :pac:) there seems to be a distinction between town and rural when it comes to branding someone a culchie.

So essentially the word has two meanings in Ireland depending who you're talking to.

Personally I'd use the word culchie for those not from a city and I don't really consider Cork/Galway etc as cities; they have more of a large-town vibe - ipso facto: outside the Dublin Metropolitan Area = culchie; not that I ever use the word.
    Custardpi wrote: »
    I was once told by a relative of mine (who grew up in the Liberties) that the term "culchie" originally applied to anyone who lived far enough away from Christchurch cathedral not to be able to hear the bells ringing. By that definition anyone living in the suburbs, which in olden days were self contained villages & a considerable journey away (especially if you couldn't afford a carriage to take you & had to walk) would not be considered a real Dub.

Loada boll0x. That's like saying people who can't hear the trains at Charing Cross aren't Londoners and are simply culchies.

EDIT: Oh and O'Connell street isn't Dublin in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

woodoo wrote: »
    Thats it from a Dublin perspective. Most people outside of Dublin don't use that word. I don't use jakeen or culchie. Its far too black and white. Outside of Dublin we still know there is a difference between someone from cork city and cork county, someone who grew up in a farming community and someone who grew up in a town. There are lots of subtle differences throughout Ireland.

I agree with Woodoo. I lived in Cork city for my entire life and I became friends with a few girls who were from Cork county, one of them has a farm and it is very obvious that we have different lives. They view me as someone from the city and I view them as people from the countryside, it isn't an insult. We are just different.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Always gonna be the same debate wen it comes to what people classify as culchies.
    Coming from Dublin i personally hate the word i much prefer filthy muck savage lol only kiddin there culchies, i call my father in law a muck savage and he calls me a jackeen altho he has adopted the scanger in to his daily repetoire lmao.

I think if ya keep it light and dont offend anyone clasifications like this are ok and in my own opinion anyone that hails from anywer that doesnt have a D 1,2,3,4,,5,6,7,8,9,10 YOU GET THE POINT , in their address should undoubtedly be classed as a culchie/muck savage , and should be horsewhipped with lastnights old sausages for thinking their not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

woodoo wrote: »

LOL, I would be one of the people from OUTSIDE Dublin. Believe me - it is that simple.

Dublin = Jackeens

Rest of ireland = Culchies

Thats how it was - complicating it by messing around with other Counties is all nonsense.

Anyway, the rest of Ireland don't mind being called Culchies - if the only alternative is to be called a jackeen.

:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

A culchie is anyone who has to travel more than 20 minutes to get to a nightclub.

A culchie is also anyone who has ever had to shyte in a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wetfish

We're all culchies...it's just the thick ones that don't known it... :D:D:D

A culchie is anyone who has to travel more than 20 minutes to get to a nightclub.

What if you live next door to a nightclub in Tubercurry or Ballyhaunis? Does this mean you're not a culchie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

summerskin wrote: »
    Not anymore, since 1974 Bury has no longer officially been a part of Lancashire. These are the only boroughs in Lancs now:

1. West Lancashire
    2. Chorley
    3. South Ribble
    4. Fylde
    5. Preston
    6. Wyre
    7. Lancaster
    8. Ribble Valley
    9. Pendle
    10. Burnley
    11. Rossendale
    12. Hyndburn
    13. Blackpool (Unitary)
    14. Blackburn with Darwen (Unitary)

I'll always be a Lancastrian though, not a Greater Mancunian.
    its always been a snob problem ,even though bury [ex lancashire ] stockport,altrincham[ex cheshire] are now in gt manchester,you try telling the locals the TV and press that,when i lived in radcliffe in bury i had a manchester post code yet bury has a lancashire post code,as i was born in altrincham/hale i will always consider myself a cheshire/manc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Coming from the Tipp heartland I've had plenty of experience with people I'd deem as "culchies". Handiest rule of thumb I've come across is how they pronounce GAA, if it's "Gaa" they're cluchies to their roots.

I do love the "Dublin's the only city in Ireland" idea though, I was in Melbourne for a few months a couple of years ago and it makes Dublin look like Waterford by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I don't think that's right. When people say "London Town" I think they just mean London in general. When people say "The City" they mean the City of London which is what you're talking about. That's always the way I've known it anyway.
    wiki.answers.com/Q/what_is_a_town_in_london

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

I always just thought that Dubs were Dubs and everyone else was a Culchie.

Except townies, they're universal.

Being called a culchie never bothered me, but I think there are different degrees of Culchie - I've worked on a bog, drove a tractor, caught the odd death notice, but I also have an array of stupid hipster things and I do have a soft spot for a panini and a shellac.

I do have a neighbour who is culchie personified, he makes my heart weep when I see him on a night out - he's just short a bit of grass in his mouth. Checked shirt, tucked into jeans (pale jeans, fresh off the radiator so they'd walk by themselves) and shiny shoes. :( Gives the rest of us a bad name!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

war_child wrote: »
    Always gonna be the same debate wen it comes to what people classify as culchies.
    Coming from Dublin i personally hate the word i much prefer filthy muck savage lol only kiddin there culchies, i call my father in law a muck savage and he calls me a jackeen altho he has adopted the scanger in to his daily repetoire lmao.

I think if ya keep it light and dont offend anyone clasifications like this are ok and in my own opinion anyone that hails from anywer that doesnt have a D 1,2,3,4,,5,6,7,8,9,10 YOU GET THE POINT , in their address should undoubtedly be classed as a culchie/muck savage , and should be horsewhipped with lastnights old sausages for thinking their not.

Including the populations of Blackrock, Stillorgan, Monkstown abs Dun Laoghaire.

Coming from the Tipp heartland I've had plenty of experience with people I'd deem as "culchies". Handiest rule of thumb I've come across is how they pronounce GAA, if it's "Gaa" they're cluchies to their roots.

I do love the "Dublin's the only city in Ireland" idea though, I was in Melbourne for a few months a couple of years ago and it makes Dublin look like Waterford by comparison.

Dublin is the only proper city in the Rep. of Ireland. We are a country with a population of 4.5 million. Why are you comparing it to cities in Australia?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

el diablo wrote: »
    Dublin is the only proper city in the Rep. of Ireland. We are a country with a population of 4.5 million. Why are you comparing it to cities in Australia?

:confused:

Because it depends entirely on your definition of what qualifies as a "city". We are, as you said, a small country of 4.5 million people, therefore any large urban area (100,000+ people) could reasonable be called a city by our standards. Depending on the comparative population of other, larger nations however Dublin could be categorised similarly to how you categorise Cork and Limerick, hence my comparison of Dublin to Melbourne. I thought it was a fairly obvious point but I guess I wasn't clear enough the first time round.

I confess I also find Dublin-centric attitudes amusing having lived abroad in much larger cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A culchie will attend a nightclub that plays the national anthem at the end of the night

Never seen this in Dublin or Galway

Tis the done thing in the midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ElizabethDante

I think being a culchie/townie just has to do with where you are in the country.

I'm from a town but call others from the country - culchies.

But saying that many call me a culchie when I go to the cities.

Maybe it's more to do with attitude and your bringing up?

Or maybe if your Irish your just classed as a culchie. Except for people who grew up in the heart of Dublin. In the big city!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ElizabethDante

mikemac1 wrote: »
    A culchie will attend a nightclub that plays the national anthem at the end of the night

Never seen this in Dublin or Galway

Tis the done thing in the midlands

Not at all, sure I've been in nightclubs throughout the north-west and the east and they even do that as a sign the club in closing in Drogheda!

I think it just depends on the club/crowd/atmosphere etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Surely however, you can recognize how somebody growing up in Cork city centre has more in common with somebody from Dublin than with somebody like me who grew up in the countryside?

Cork is a city but excuse me it has nothing in common with Dublin thank you very much!

Advertisement