Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you consider a 'culchie' to be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You do know greater manchester refers to
    1.Manchester
    2.Stockport
    3.Tameside
    4.Oldham
    5.Rochdale
    6.Bury
    7.Bolton
    8.Wigan
    9.Salford
    10.Trafford

Which as well as Machester includes towns bigger than most of the cities in Ireland excluding Dublin cork and belfast.

The city of manchester which has its own coat of arms is the city the greater urban area is just that a greater area for administrative purposes but not a city.

By the same measure, the resident population ofthe City of London is 11,000 rising to 330,000 or so daytime workers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Not on to bash the Dubs, but some Dubs thinking they are more sophisticated than some farmer from down the country is laughable.
    The Dub probably has a mortgage for €400,000 for some sh*tbox of a house, while the farmer is now worth a lot of money, and probably sold off a few sites in the good old days. The farmer doesn't feel the need to go around with Hollister on and shades on the head.
    The farmer might talk with a thick accent, but at least he doesn't talk like a yank (southside Dub) or like someone who is pi55ed (northside Dub).

Dub is like a provinical UK city. I do like coming up to Dublin, it's a good spot, with some great boozers, and great people, but as someone who lived abroad, I find it laughable when people in Ireland start sneering at where other people come from........EDIT: I just did!!

There now seem to be regular culchies and white trash culchies. White trash culchies live in council estates in small villages, and the estate might have 10 houses, but the lads seem to think that qualifies them to act like toerags or pretend they are "streetwise". A lot of them around Munster would try and put on a Limerick city accent, even though they are more likely to get in a fight with a sheepdog....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Marcusm wrote: »
    By the same measure, the resident population ofthe City of London is 11,000 rising to 330,000 or so daytime workers!

The city of London but not London city which has a a resident population of just under 8 million right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Wow OP !!!!!

What an original idea for a thread, it's like, - neverrr been done before....

Will September ever come.....

Ok, I'll humour you,
    "Culchie" in my opinion, is a term of abuse directed by people with low self esteem, and even lower manners at others they percieve as being better looking, smarter and more successful than themselves,:) but who don't come from the same city and are therefore in the user's vast experience and unerring judgement, - lesser.

I know a few words to describe these people who use the term, but because I'm not a cunt, I don't use them very often.

In short, its a term of abuse used by people who can't think of any other premise to abuse most of the population of the country on, and I take offence to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

To Alcohol wrote: »
    That link and thus the 1.8 million includes Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow.

"The population of the Greater Dublin Area (using the second definition of Dublin City, Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown, Fingal, South Dublin, Kildare, Meath and Wicklow) as of Census 2011 was 1,801,040 persons."

Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow are not Dublin so the Dublin population is closer to 1 million

Whatever, he said the greater manchester area had about 3 million people and all im saying is greater dublin has 1.8 million people. Im sure the greater manchester area like dublin contains surrounding cities/towns and counties not part of manchester.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

Limited selection of crisps at newsagents
    Seriously? And somebody earlier mentioned knowing what "americano" is. You really think that's enough to make you cosmopolitan? What is next?

And here I thought that cosmopolitanism includes ethnic and social diversity, liberal thinking (abortion anyone?), access to art, alternative culture... No it seems to be the fact that you can distinguish lousy instant coffee from an lousy watered down regular coffee and can buy gourmet Tayto's in the newsagents. No offence but some of the lists here are more embarrassing for whoever writes them and not for culchies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Pushtrak wrote: »
    There certainly are. You shouldn't need me to tell you that, though.

Oh snap, girlfrien'!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

johnr1 wrote: »
    Wow OP !!!!!

What an original idea for a thread, it's like, - neverrr been done before....

Will September ever come.....

Ok, I'll humour you,
    "Culchie" in my opinion, is a term of abuse directed by people with low self esteem, and even lower manners at others they percieve as being better looking, smarter and more successful than themselves,:) but who don't come from the same city and are therefore in the user's vast experience and unerring judgement, - lesser.

I know a few words to describe these people who use the term, but because I'm not a cunt, I don't use them very often.

In short, its a term of abuse used by people who can't think of any other premise to abuse most of the population of the country on, and I take offence to it.
    Classic Culchie attitude right here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Anyone who doesn't know where the Five Lamps is.

And if you do know where the Five Lamps is, you know what to do. ;)

Felexicon wrote: »
    Classic Culchie attitude right here.

No thanks, I don't want to be banned.

• Advertisement

The city of London but not London city which has a a resident population of just under 8 million right

Not sure what you mean by London City apart from the airport. The City f London plus the City of Westminster plus approx 25 other boroughs (many of which are historically large towns ad some which have applied for city status) forms an area which is governed by the Greater London Assembly but there is no London city other than City of London and City of Westminster!!

Different from New York City which is made up of 5 boroughs (Manhattan - technically New York County, Queen's County, Brooklyn - technically King's County, the Bronx and Staten Island).

Anyone who doesn't know where the Five Lamps is.

And if you do know where the Five Lamps is, you know what to do. ;)

That's ****e, most south sides don't knw 5 Lamps; I do and I'm a culchie (by many measures) despite being more cosmopolitan than 95% of you jackeens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Wrong, that area is Greater London, not London City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

johnr1 wrote: »
    No thanks, I don't want to be banned.
    You mad bro?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

seachto7 wrote: »
    Not on to bash the Dubs, but some Dubs thinking they are more sophisticated than some farmer from down the country is laughable.
    The Dub probably has a mortgage for €400,000 for some sh*tbox of a house, while the farmer is now worth a lot of money, and probably sold off a few sites in the good old days. The farmer doesn't feel the need to go around with Hollister on and shades on the head.
    The farmer might talk with a thick accent, but at least he doesn't talk like a yank (southside Dub) or like someone who is pi55ed (northside Dub).

There now seem to be regular culchies and white trash culchies. White trash culchies live in council estates in small villages, and the estate might have 10 houses, but the lads seem to think that qualifies them to act like toerags or pretend they are "streetwise". A lot of them around Munster would try and put on a Limerick city accent, even though they are more likely to get in a fight with a sheepdog....

Most nonsensical post I've ever read on boards.ie. Well done.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

You do know greater manchester refers to
    1.Manchester
    2.Stockport
    3.Tameside
    4.Oldham
    5.Rochdale
    6.Bury
    7.Bolton
    8.Wigan
    9.Salford
    10.Trafford

Which as well as Machester includes towns bigger than most of the cities in Ireland excluding Dublin cork and belfast.

The city of manchester which has its own coat of arms is the city the greater urban area is just that a greater area for administrative purposes but not a city.

Why yes I do, as I was born and raised there and lived there until my early 20s. Was born in Tameside, lived in Oldham, went to school in Manchester, worked in Bury, played rugby in Wigan etc. You could say i know the place quite well.

Not sure what you mean by London City apart from the airport. The City f London plus the City of Westminster plus approx 25 other boroughs (many of which are historically large towns ad some which have applied for city status) forms an area which is governed by the Greater London Assembly but there is no London city other than City of London and City of Westminster!!

Different from New York City which is made up of 5 boroughs (Manhattan - technically New York County, Queen's County, Brooklyn - technically King's County, the Bronx and Staten Island).

I dont know why people get so pedantic about stupid issues but ok
    The name London originally referred only to the once-walled "Square Mile" of the original Roman (and later medieval) city (confusingly called the "City of London" or just "The City"). Today, London has taken on a much larger meaning to include all of the vast central parts of the modern metropolis, with the city having absorbed numerous surrounding towns and villages over the centuries, including large portions of the surrounding "home counties", one of which - Middlesex - being completely consumed by the growing metropolis. The term Greater London embraces Central London together with all the outlying suburbs that lie in one continuous urban sprawl within the lower Thames valley. Though densely populated by New World standards, London retains large swathes of green parkland and open space, even within the city centre.
    http://wikitravel.org/en/London

Or try the Official visit London site, where it refers to visiting London City
    http://www.visitlondon.com/

Also how about the definition of city
    cit·y/ˈsitē/Noun:
    1. A large town.
    2.The financial and commercial district of London, England.
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&biw=1259&bih=848&q=define+city&oq=define+city&aq=f&aqi=g-c9g1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=20415l21492l0l2l2l0l0l0l0l171l234l1.13l0l9l9l1l6l0l0l171l264l1.1

Felexicon wrote: »
    You mad bro?

Nope.... You suffering from stockholm syndrome? given your location..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

summerskin wrote: »
    Why yes I do, as I was born and raised there and lived there until my early 20s. Was born in Tameside, lived in Oldham, went to school in Manchester, worked in Bury, played rugby in Wigan etc. You could say i know the place quite well.
    i know it better than you ,born in altrincham[trafford] lived and worked in bury[macphersons paints] in all for 65 years, played darts for bury and lancashire, and my dads bigger than your dad.

Or try the Official visit London site, where it refers to visiting London City has maps of London city

cit·y/ˈsitē/Noun:
    1. A large town.
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&biw=1259&bih=848&q=define+city&oq=define+city&aq=f&aqi=g-c9g1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=20415l21492l0l2l2l0l0l0l0l171l234l1.13l0l9l9l1l6l0l0l171l264l1.1

I'm not sure your arguments are entirely cogent; you argue for a arrow definition of Manchester to include only the areas in the centre but propose an entirely different definition of London. Can you square this off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

in a nutshell,

a culchie is from anywhere outside of Dublin

A Jackeen is for any Dub.

Doesn't matter how you live or what you have - a dub is a jack, the rest of ireland are culchies.

That's it - it's quite simple really.

Let's not make a meal of it okay??

Or try the Official visit London site, where it refers to visiting London City

cit·y/ˈsitē/Noun:
    1. A large town.
    city status in the UK can only be granted by the monarchy,in the case of gt manchester it encompasses the city of salford.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

@ fishy that pretty much sums it up im from Dublin but live in waterford.

Always considered anyone out side Dublin a culchie and i was a jack ...but it really doesnt matter we're all Irish so have a pint and smile.

But there is also an arguement that any county with a cathedral is considered a city. So this debate could just go on and on.

summerskin wrote: »

Ah ok, biased then. Your talking up of a fairly bogstandard city to a ridiculous degree makes sense now. :cool:

I'm not sure your arguments are entirely cogent; you argue for a arrow definition of Manchester to include only the areas in the centre but propose an entirely different definition of London. Can you square this off?

To be arrow with you
    You are referring to an area of London known as the city of london, I am referring to the large or important town known as London and am correctly using the word City to describe it.

With Manchester I am trying to define the large or important town of Manchester to distinguish it from the greater manchester area, in this instance using the Manchester city administrative area is useful because the larger Greater manchester area does not have one large or important town which stretches from say stockport across manchester to bolton so we would not describe this area as a city.

To be arrow with you
    You are referring to an area of London known as the city of london, I am referring to the large or important town known as London and am correctly using the word City to describe it.

With Manchester I am trying to define the large or important town of Manchester to distinguish it from the greater manchester area, in this instance using the Manchester city administrative area is useful because the larger Greater manchester area does not have one large or important town which stretches from say wstockport across manchester to bolton so we would not describe this area as a city.
    there is a area in london that is known as london town ,its one sq mile

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Ah ok, biased then. Your talking up of a fairly bogstandard city to a ridiculous degree makes sense now. :cool:

You are acting the maggot there a bit Sea Filly....

Bog Standard city....

Biggest football club in the world?

and seperately, the richest football club in the world?

You wont see too many Malaysians knocking about in Bohs jerseys.

And thats before we get into the music.

Or the most licensed TV show in history.

getz wrote: »
    there is a area in london that is known as london town ,its one sq mile

Really where?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    You are acting the maggot there a bit Sea Filly....

Bog Standard city....

Biggest football club in the world?

and seperately, the richest football club in the world?

You wont see too many Malaysians knocking about in Bohs jerseys.

And thats before we get into the music.

Or the most licensed TV show in history.

Soooo... football then? That's all you've got? Manchester is grand, I liked it well enough. Just grand though, nothing more. Dublin > Manchester. As I'm not a football fan, all that doesn't really matter to me.

Re: music, yes, great bands, back in the day. Same as Dublin.

• Advertisement

To be arrow with you

With Manchester I am trying to define the large or important town of Manchester to distinguish it from the greater manchester area, in this instance using the Manchester city administrative area is useful because the larger Greater manchester area does not have one large or important town which stretches from say stockport across manchester to bolton so we would not describe this area as a city.

Apologies for missin the n in narrow.

What "area" of a town do you know which has its own Lord Mayor, police force etc? Where do you draw the boundary of London? Is Croydon part of London? Did you know that until 1885 the counties of Surrey, Middlesex etc basically carried up to the walls of the City of London? The point I'm trying to get across is that you need to have a similar eye to both cities or both large metropolitan areas if you like.

Advertisement