Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

people lamping foxes versus people hunting foxes with hounds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Paddysniper

Imagine you were out shooting and fox runs out in front of you and you've the shotgun and bang it's dead next thing hounds and horses pop out
    Imagine the look on the lads on horseback
    :D
    These fellas don't use horses, just beagles and other mongrels.
    Suppose when I used the word "hounds" it was a little off putting lol.
    I'd gladly shoot the fox in front of them though, from 200 yards away lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭.243

garv123 wrote: »
    If your hawk takes one out of season it is your problem though
    eh no its not,
    to shoot a phesant out of season it is,
    but for a bird of prey to kill a phesant out of season it isnt

.243 wrote: »
    If your hawk takes one out of season it is your problem though
    eh no its not,

It wouldn't be a problem, you can buy a remote control for your hawk on eBay :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

eh no its not,

He if he sets his hawk out after a pheasant he is hunting out of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I dont get why a lot of people are all for lamping and against hunting with dogs or vice versa, both methods are equally effective and suitable for different areas, beating with dogs is great for places with loads of cover and rushes that aren't suitable for lamping and big open areas that can't be hunted are great for lamping, i do both and enjoy both but personaly prefer hunting with dogs, not that i dont enjoy lamping, even on days when you get nothing but meet a fox or two its great to see the dogs in action following the scent

And what really annoys me is people who give out about hunting foxes with dogs saying its cruel and a slow death for the fox being caught by a pack of dogs, because for all the years i've been at it i've never seen the dogs catch a fox yet, well not until they've ran into a lead wall that is, i hate people judging it that have never done it, same can be said for lamping too,

Both forms get a bad repuatation because of a few rogues, lampers get a bad rep because of trigger happy guys shooting at every set of eyes they see or lads missing foxes creating a load of lamp shy foxes and the dog men get a bad rep for fools going in on land with no permission or scaring livestock

Both methods are equally effective when done properly, As the old saying goes "theres more than one way to skin a cat"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 springer90

eh no its not,

My god i have 2 say that i keep and release a lot of pheasants and if some 1 was in the field next 2 me or the pens wit a hawk i would be best pleased. The money and effort that goes in2 them is unreal and for someone 2 hunt a hawk n kil some of them i wouldn be pleased.

Besides where is the hunt in catchin half grown pheasants may i ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

[/QUOTE]

If your hawk takes one out of season it is your problem though[/Quote]
    No it's not my hawk can take them out of season as long as I don't set out to hunt a pheasant which I wouldn't unless it's in season other than that I wouldn't hunt pheasant but it's not like pheasants don't be out when it's off season they are around the land I have and I can't do much to stop my hawk from going after one It's one disadvantage to having a hawk flying aroun the field watching me
    If it sees something it will go for it that's why I've to be carefull around farmland with chickens

springer90 wrote: »
    eh no its not,

My god i have 2 say that i keep and release a lot of pheasants and if some 1 was in the field next 2 me or the pens wit a hawk i would be best pleased. The money and effort that goes in2 them is unreal and for someone 2 hunt a hawk n kil some of them i wouldn be pleased.

If you lived anywhere that I have permission to hunt and your pheasants come near my land that I hunt and my hawk kills it TOUGH it's fair game!!!! And I'd tell you aswell just for your attitude towards them
    You rear them then go out and blast the hole out of them with a shotty
    I'd much rather see my hawk go after them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Lamp Foxes, and allow dogs go after them,

and hunt with Hounds on Sundays.. never had a problem,

What about people using bait and shooting Foxes at night ?

Cork24 wrote: »
    Lamp Foxes, and allow dogs go after them,

and hunt with Hounds on Sundays.. never had a problem,

What about people using bait and shooting Foxes at night ?

I've never heard anyone doing that, bait as in a carcass or something?
    I'm for both types of vermin control,just looking for people opinions.

• Advertisement

springer90 wrote: »
    eh no its not,

If you lived anywhere that I have permission to hunt and your pheasants come near my land that I hunt and my hawk kills it TOUGH it's fair game!!!! And I'd tell you aswell just for your attitude towards them
    You rear them then go out and blast the hole out of them with a shotty
    I'd much rather see my hawk go after them

To be fair, there's just as much effort
    If not more effort involved in keeping a hawk as there is rearing pheasants which I have done.
    In my opinion once the hawk isn't taking big numbers then fair game. Presuming the hawk owner supports the gun club in some way to help pay the poult costs and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I've never heard anyone doing that, bait as in a carcass or something?
    I'm for both types of vermin control,just looking for people opinions.

I i did once i found a fox hole, shot a Rabbit place it about 10 yards away from the hole, had to wait around 1hr when the fox was coming back he stopped to eat the rabbit,

never tried bait but know a guy who has quite a few different kind,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Cork24 wrote: »
    I i did once i found a fox hole, shot a Rabbit place it about 10 yards away from the hole, had to wait around 1hr when the fox was coming back he stopped to eat the rabbit,

never tried bait but know a guy who has quite a few different kind,

On my place in the West I use the contents of the Larsen/crow traps to draw in foxes to the gun. A pretty succesfull method if your not feelin up to covering a large area of ground due to the weather being bad or terrain is difficult to cover etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

In the north or on the border towns like monaghan or blaney we always had problems with the hounds men. You would be guaranteed a digging match every time they came across us lamping or digging.... Same ol story of them saying they were their foxes bla bla

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭franknrol

down my way,i know of a few sunday dog men who educate foxes, that is go out at night with the lamp and purposely fire over their heads. :mad: A$$holes

franknrol wrote: »
    down my way,i know of a few sunday dog men who educate foxes, that is go out at night with the lamp and purposely fire over their heads. :mad: A$$holes
    So they purposely miss?
    Not knowing where their bullet is going to end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

So they purposely miss?
    Not knowing where their bullet is going to end?

Shotgun would be used. Better bang and the shot could be directed at the fox from 100 yards or so with a light load. It does not matter as long as the call is used before the shot is fired. I can tell you for sure that it would be a hell of a long time before the fox will come to a call again.

Just to add I do not do that as much as I dislike the lamping brigade around my area. Only reason is that down the road if I had a problem fox that was hard got with dogs I could lamp him myself.

Used to have good fun doing fox drives as a young lad when we had a GC near the home place. You could bag anything up to half a dozen foxes in a few hrs and it provided a great work out for the lads that enjoy working with terriers, various hounds and lurchers etc. too :cool:

franknrol wrote: »

I have a feeling too that this was going on around here.
    There were some very lamp shy foxes about last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 .223forme

i was followed one night lamping by 2 cars thinkin we wer up to no good,,pulled in on a side road and d car pulled up beside us,both lads with hurls and ready to use them(their area had got a terrible going-over with robberies the past few years)...we opened the boot and showed them d guns and FOX TAILS and while dat was good enough for the first boys,when the second car came- and auld crank got out and turned his attention to the fact that it was illegal to lamp with a rifle..he was going ballistic and sed he'd be reporting us to the local sargeant but we convinced him he didnt kno dat and dat we wouldnt be bak to his area again!! Surely this is bullshyt cuz very few foxes would be shot using shotguns alone,,, any opinions and what way is the law when it comes to rife lamping??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

You should only be shooting where you have permission, so should know the land owners & locals , that been the case as long as you are observing safety there should be no issue, btw if lamping be sure you have a licence for any accessories ie, moderators.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

.223forme wrote: »
    any opinions and what way is the law when it comes to rife lamping??
    Lamping foxes is completely legal once the lamping is not done from a motorised vehicle. IOW on foot.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Lamping foxes is completely legal once the lamping is not done from a motorised vehicle. IOW on foot.
    thats good to know thanks,,prob be no harm if i had the laws printed out to shut lads like him up in future your allowed to lamp from a vehicle if its 60 feet from any public roads yeah??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You can if you like, but tbh some people will argue even if yuo have a Garda, Solicitor, and barrister there.

The best bet is to know where you stand legally, and if asked to move on just do so. If you have permission for the land you are on and the person giving you grief is not the land owner you can plitely tell them to leave you be, however if it is the landowner i'd just pack up and go. Nothing worth getting grief or trouble over.

All the hunting laws/regs are in this thread, and the specific ones about lamping are section 44 & section 45, Wildlife amendment act 2000 (as amended from section 38 (etc) of the principle act.

Theserefer to shooting from a motorised ehicle, from the road, and using a lamp for any game species. Wild game being those with a season. As foxes do not have a season, and are not protected they fall outside of the rules, and a lamp can be used, but the law regarding shooting from a motor or lamping form one still stands.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    You can if you like, but tbh some people will argue even if yuo have a Garda, Solicitor, and barrister there.

The best bet is to know where you stand legally, and if asked to move on just do so. If you have permission for the land you are on and the person giving you grief is not the land owner you can plitely tell them to leave you be, however if it is the landowner i'd just pack up and go. Nothing worth getting grief or trouble over.

All the hunting laws/regs are in this thread, and the specific ones about lamping are section 44 & section 45, Wildlife amendment act 2000 (as amended from section 38 (etc) of the principle act.

Theserefer to shooting from a motorised ehicle, from the road, and using a lamp for any game species. Wild game being those with a season. As foxes do not have a season, and are not protected they fall outside of the rules, and a lamp can be used, but the law regarding shooting from a motor or lamping form one still stands.
    thanks Cass ,,much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

haha "shooting our foxes" is right. how many times have i heard that.
    I'm surprised the response wasn't "if they're your foxes, there are 5 farmers that want compensation for your foxes killing their hens"
    no i meant the usual sunday shoot with lots of dogs hunting acres and acres of forestry at a time and maybe 3 guns trying to cover it lol.
    I don't agree with the use of hounds purely on the basis of the damage that the dogs can do to farmers land & stock.
    A good thump would be just the ticket, but where would that get me.
    If someone comes looking for trouble, he'll have a mate with a camera :mad:

=-=

Baiting the foxes with dead crows and rabbits actually sounds like a great idea, especially compared to unobserved baiting with poison that may kill unintended targets.

the_syco wrote: »
    =-=

Baiting the foxes with dead crows and rabbits actually sounds like a great idea, especially compared to unobserved baiting with poison that may kill unintended targets.

The use of outdoor poison bait has been banned since 2010 for that very reason.

.223forme wrote: »
    i was followed one night lamping by 2 cars thinkin we wer up to no good,,pulled in on a side road and d car pulled up beside us,both lads with hurls and ready to use them(their area had got a terrible going-over with robberies the past few years)...we opened the boot and showed them d guns and FOX TAILS and while dat was good enough for the first boys,when the second car came- and auld crank got out and turned his attention to the fact that it was illegal to lamp with a rifle..he was going ballistic and sed he'd be reporting us to the local sargeant but we convinced him he didnt kno dat and dat we wouldnt be bak to his area again!! Surely this is bullshyt cuz very few foxes would be shot using shotguns alone,,, any opinions and what way is the law when it comes to rife lamping??

Hello,
    Sorry to hear you're getting aggro about lamping.
    The way I see it, you're not going to be carrying out robberies if you're shining a million candle power torch around the place.
    One time I would travel every road in my area and my friends area covering miles of quite country roads. There's no one out late at night now hence robberies are rampant.

A friend of mine had his rifle taken off him lately for lamping from the road, turns out it was the fella with the dogs for hunting foxes that reported him. Guards wasted valuable time to come out and take the rifle off him. Not wanting to knock the guards for what they can do with limited resources regarding burglaries but leave the local lads alone that would be out in the middle of the night lamping and at least they would see strange vehicles parked in places.

Since the lamping from a vehicle has become illegal and I know I'd be reported by the "the fellas that own the foxes" I have taken to foot.
    I get farmers permission, park up, walk in to fields, call and pop the fox in the head.
    I'm even using a .22lr for the job now compared to using a .220 swift one time.
    The fox will come in to 50 yards or less.
    And to be honest I think you will get more vermin that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

Imagine you were out shooting and fox runs out in front of you and you've the shotgun and bang it's dead next thing hounds and horses pop out
    Imagine the look on the lads on horseback
    :D
    its happened to me , a few years ago now the local hunt flushed a fox from a wood , the fox came belting up the the field with the hunt in tow , i shot the fox and told the hunt master if any of the hounds came near my dog they would meet the same fate , needless to say they left....... poor old springer wasnt right for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Ive lamped many foxes but dont do as much nowadays as i more enjoy the Sunday hunt a few lads, a pack of barking springers and that it bring on the crack and hope its a good day.
    I fully understand the "shooting our foxes" statement from the hunt crowd, packs of dogs hunting a full day and meeting feck all ain't much fun, and we all hunt/shoot for our pasttime (I don't agree with calling it sport).
    Lamping foxes is a great way of taking care of problem foxes but its a easy way of wiping out your area of foxes all together and honestly you don't want to do that either, natures balance and all that... Look for the post "shooting the local fox" it was posted some time ago.
    "Another mans sport" as I was told many years ago as I started into shooting, I had shot a hare and was told that the coursing lads would not but happy. I haven't shot a hare since..
    Nobody owns any fox but It's all a balance that's all ill say, I hope yee see
    my point.

Advertisement