Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

people lamping foxes versus people hunting foxes with hounds

Options
  • 09-07-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

hello,
    i am just wondering if those of you who lamp foxes get aggro from the people that hunt them with dogs during the day?
    lot of aggro going on around here.
    thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

no bother down this way as there seems to be plenty of them to go around ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

No issues near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

wouldnt call it lots of aggro
    but there does be the odd bad word said in our club ie im feeding dogs all year and your going out and picking them off with a rifle sure thats not a sport etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

A small bit of it goes on here, and some old lads into hunting believe lamping foxes is illegal and there is no talking to them if you try tell them otherwise, i do both so i don't lamp any of the land where we hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Paddysniper

looks like people can go out for a nights lamping without being followed then.
    getting out of hand here to be honest.
    you get all the usual excuses alright, at the end of the day foxes are vermin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 mickquinn05

Have not came across it down this way either..

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

NO problem either we do a lot of lamping and when the hounds come we can tell them where the lamp shy fox's are and even along with them fox's there is always plenty for everyone around. It will be a sad day when they are all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

looks like people can go out for a nights lamping without being followed then.
    getting out of hand here to be honest.
    you get all the usual excuses alright, at the end of the day foxes are vermin.

What part of Clare you in? PM if you want to.
    Down in the South part ,and no problems here ASFIK.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

patdahat wrote: »
    NO problem either we do a lot of lamping and when the hounds come we can tell them where the lamp shy fox's are and even along with them fox's there is always plenty for everyone around. It will be a sad day when they are all gone.

he didnt mention hounds i think he means other members in the area that keep dogs founding hunting foxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

YA myself and one the lads entered the neighbouring village and got followed i pulled up as they were really pissing me off ,,when i did they just over took me,club were contacted about it and the chairman told them where to go .the statement "ye are shooting our foxs "brings me to my knees when i hear it.and the first lad that will say it face to face to me will go to his knees;)

• Advertisement

haha "shooting our foxes" is right. how many times have i heard that.
    its ridiculous.
    no i meant the usual sunday shoot with lots of dogs hunting acres and acres of forestry at a time and maybe 3 guns trying to cover it lol.
    wont control vermin that way alone.
    id have no problem bringing someone to their knees believe me, but if i weigh it up its not worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭pheasntstalker

:confused::confused: why is it this old chesnut rears it ugly head between dog man and lads lamping with guns,jaysus we,re all out to do the same thing control charlie plain and simple isnt it:confused::confused: be it with gun and lamp or with dog and lamp, im sure farmer bloggs who is pacing the floor at nite worrying during lambing /calving ,wouldnt give 2 f"cks what way you nail charlie as long as u get him it will mean 1 lest fox to worry about surely we could agree on that:confused:

i agree foxs being cut down is the main objective but its always the hunt lads that seem to tackle the lamp men and never the other way around. well at least in our area.thats just my experience

:confused::confused: why is it this old chesnut rears it ugly head between dog man and lads lamping with guns,jaysus we,re all out to do the same thing control charlie plain and simple isnt it:confused::confused: be it with gun and lamp or with dog and lamp, im sure farmer bloggs who is pacing the floor at nite worrying during lambing /calving ,wouldnt give 2 f"cks what way you nail charlie as long as u get him it will mean 1 lest fox to worry about surely we could agree on that:confused:

these boys dont care about the farmers, or other wildlife that vermin is feeding on. i guess thats the difference between a real gun club and a "fox club".

charlie10 wrote: »
    i agree foxs being cut down is the main objective but its always the hunt lads that seem to tackle the lamp men and never the other way around. well at least in our area.thats just my experience

exactly charlie,
    theyre on a vermin list for a reason. little do they realise that by shooting more of the foxes it will leave more territorys open to less foxes which in turn will provide more food for them and they will have bigger litters and healthier foxes all round.
    anyway its a bit of craic whatever way you look at it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Next time they complain about feeding the dogs all year around tell em buy a gun..its cheaper to feed :D

never any issues around here. Not even sure if there's local fox hounds that they use to beat the woods.. only the horse back lads

well its win win for me i enjoy shooting them and it helps the phesant numbers so:D

garv123 wrote: »
    Next time they complain about feeding the dogs all year around tell em buy a gun..its cheaper to feed :D

never any issues around here. Not even sure if there's local fox hounds that they use to beat the woods.. only the horse back lads

haha i would tell them that but i would fear for peoples safety if they had a rifle in their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Never any trouble up my way no one uses hounds for foxes most farmers won't let them anyway
    Hate the way people that do one way of hunting tell someone else that your killin his foxes rabbits etc
    I got grief off a fella one day while out hunting with the hawk
    Had two rabbits on me and the hawk on me other hand and started sayin I was takin his rabbits and him holdin rifle
    I'd been huntin this land for years and never met him before told him to piss off and get a grip my hawk will only take maybe 4 rabbits on a good day
    How many will he take with his poxy rifle

Are the rabbits plentyfull where you are?
    There's very little here anymore.
    He probably said poxy hawk about you too lol.
    No one owns the wildlife or vermin and it comes down to havin permission from the landowner at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

No one owns the wildlife or vermin and it comes down to havin permission from the landowner at the end of the day.
    Plenty bunnies in west limerick at the moment paddy, seein lots of them in the evenings. All I need Now is a springer for training on them :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭moby30

At the end of the day we are all sharing a common interest and should be supporting each other wether it be shooting, using Hawks etc but the problem yet again is a couple of bad eggs who have not the slightest idea what they are doing and who couldnt care less about anything are messing it up for all of us. At the start of the year up here a couple of locals asked a neighbour about hunting foxes with dogs as they said the place is over run with them:confused: which its not. Anyway as they were local he asked me if it would be ok and I was more than happy for them as long as we contacted each other so there would be no crossover between us. They never contacted me or the neighbour after this and it wasnt long before there were 6 or 7 lads been spotted and then on surrounding land that they had no permission on but the final straw was when there was damage caused on the golf couse and lambs were lost when yews dropped. Its very hard to support this kind of thing. I can almost guarantee they never got a fox so decided to go after the rabbits so there were dogs running wild everywhere. Ill say again I will support all types of hunting but between this and Illegal deer shooting up this way its messing things up for the honest law abiding hunter.

Yeah the land is over run by rabbits
    We have black rabbits aswell which is a good sign of high population of them

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Yeah the land is over run by rabbits
    We have black rabbits aswell which is a good sign of high population of them
    Black rabbits now!! Even the countryside is welcoming integration :-0

That's great to hear about the rabbit population doing good in other counties. Always handy to train young springers.

The people I am having aggro with done the same thing to a field of sheep in my area too. Sauntered into the field with a pack of dogs never thinking that they would frighten the sheep.
    Makes me wonder what goes on in people's heads.

Anyway I was just wondering about the general opinion of people regarding lamping, seems to be plenty support for fox culling in any shape or form.
    Anyone know the law regarding being followed into a field at night and getting into a row?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭pheasntstalker

as far as law that i know.if u have permission for said field/land from owner/farmer to shoot/hunt,and yer followed onto land,1 contact farmer, ask him /her if said people have permission to be on there property/land,2 if u think trouble is bound to occur ring the guards, if possible take mentel note /or write down vehicule no and description of people and give it to cops and call into landowner an explain whats gone on and that the law has bein informed that you,ve bein threatend,thats just my 2cents for what its worth,

I asked the farmer and he said he's a neighbour
    problem is this fella rears pheasants aswell beside his house down the road and said he doesn want my hawk near them
    Not my fault of I'm hunting land I have permission to hunt and my hawk kills one of his released birds
    Again told him to piss off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I asked the farmer and he said he's a neighbour
    problem is this fella rears pheasants aswell beside his house down the road and said he doesn want my hawk near them
    Not my fault of I'm hunting land I have permission to hunt and my hawk kills one of his released birds
    Again told him to piss off

If your hawk takes one out of season it is your problem though

as far as law that i know.if u have permission for said field/land from owner/farmer to shoot/hunt,and yer followed onto land,1 contact farmer, ask him /her if said people have permission to be on there property/land,2 if u think trouble is bound to occur ring the guards, if possible take mentel note /or write down vehicule no and description of people and give it to cops and call into landowner an explain whats gone on and that the law has bein informed that you,ve bein threatend,thats just my 2cents for what its worth,

I know well who it is that's aggroing, it's the same tit all the time.
    I'll get as much permission from farmers I can for this winter and shoot as many foxes as i can.
    I should mention it to the guards as you say but it seems a bit petty to be bothering them about.
    A good thump would be just the ticket, but where would that get me.

• Advertisement

Imagine you were out shooting and fox runs out in front of you and you've the shotgun and bang it's dead next thing hounds and horses pop out
    Imagine the look on the lads on horseback
    :D

Advertisement