Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swedish house mafia stabbings (Updated Mod Warning Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Why is the guy who is being charged with 4(??) stabbings only being charged with assault causing harm, and not some sort of attempted murder charge?

Because it's unfortunate but most charges seem to be based on the extent of the injuries sustained.

I personally feel that if you stab someone you should be charged with attempted murder. It's not like you are trying to help them scratch an itch.
    Having been the victim of a stabbing before I can tell you the law is not on the victims side.
    I underwent a 2.5 hr operation after the attack,was advised by the Gardai in private that the perpetrator was notorious for muggings and from a minority group who would wreak havoc on me and my family if we go to court and the likely outcome would be 3mths prison for him.they said your best solution is to not prosecute and that was from a family member who is in the force.
    Not their fault but the law is a joke,I was lucky not to lose the power of my jaw as he just missed a nerve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's gas the way you can even argue this, almost every murder case in Ireland is drug related

Really? And where are the facts that back up that statement? Gang land murders are drug/money related yes. But what about all the other murders?
    and you can be sure that this lad was off his face too.

I can be sure of nothing since I wasn't there and haven't heard anyone report that he was on drugs at all. In fact I'd say we'll have to wait until the trial to find that out. But somehow you seem to have an insight on the facts which is fascinating. I wonder how you know all this or are you just talking out yer hoop?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Why is the guy who is being charged with 4(??) stabbings only being charged with assault causing harm, and not some sort of attempted murder charge?

He may be charged with bigger offences after the DPP investigates.
    I think its fairly standard for the first court appearance to be on a relatively 'small' charge, then theres an investigation to see if a bigger charge is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭giggle84

I am pie wrote: »
    Some high horse you're riding around on there ! The world isn't that black and white. The deceased might well have been impressionable and influenced by their peers, tried it for the first time, been spiked, any number of factors could have led them to take whatever the took. It's tragic and sad, your lack of empathy is a bit jarring.

I absolutely agree that it's tragic. Trying it for the first time isn't an excuse or a rationalisation.. that's like saying "I dunno how I got pregnant, I only had unprotected sex once". If it comes out that the people who died were spiked I will personally send condolence cards to their families, because that would be as devastating as any accident or fatal attack. But there is a vast difference between someone being spiked and someone choosing to take drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,315 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

But every time you take (some) drugs, there's a chance you're going to do something that doesn't make a lot of logical sense. Like stab people.

Words fail me

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Words fail me
    Then stop trying to use them.

davet82 wrote: »
    maybe if your teenage son/daughter died from using recreational drugs you may feel different about it?

let me guess though your kids dont/wont do drugs...

i'm sure the poor families today with dead children would have said the same thing 3 days ago

RIP lads

I didn't say I don't sympathise with the families, I absolutely do, it's a tragic, senseless waste of life.

Sappa wrote: »
    Having been the victim of a stabbing before I can tell you the law is not on the victims side.
    I underwent a 2.5 hr operation after the attack,was advised by the Gardai in private that the perpetrator was notorious for muggings and from a minority group who would wreak havoc on me and my family if we go to court and the likely outcome would be 3mths prison for him.they said your best solution is to not prosecute and that was from a family member who is in the force.
    Not their fault but the law is a joke,I was lucky not to lose the power of my jaw as he just missed a nerve.

That's really shocking. Can't imagine what that must have been like.

Words fail me

The answer being that if you're on drugs, OR alcohol, that your actions should be treated as if you were stone cold sober by the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD NOTE
    ========

Whatever your opinion of the promoter of this event is, keep it to yourself. There was... unpleasantness last time. If you feel the need to mention them, stick to facts and not opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

giggle84 wrote: »
    Sappa wrote: »

That's really shocking. Can't imagine what that must have been like.
    It's a over a decade ago now,it was a terrifying ordeal at the time but you can't let it stop you in life and I just had to deal with it and try not be bitter that a psychopath was walking the streets unpunished for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

You'd have a different opinion if it was someone close to you that died in similar cicumstances.

Like it or not, giggles84 is completely right. If you play with fire then you get burned, its as simple as that. Nobody forces drugs into a person, nobody forces anyone to drink 15 pints and drive home.

People going to events like the one in Phoenix Park the other night are old enough to make up their own minds about whether or not they wish to take drugs or drink themselves stupid. The decisions made by some people were unfortunately the wrong ones and unforunately the decisions they made had serious and fatal consequences, but at the end of the day it was their own choice and its hard to have sympathy for them as everyone knows the dangers of drink and drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

MCD have security people searching people coming in to prevent people bringing in their own booze so that MCD can make more profit from inflated drink prices inside.
    If they happen to find a weapon, they'll confiscate it but that's not their primary concern.
    Of course if MCD operated a knife shop inside the venue, you can be sure they'd find every weapon going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

MCD have security people searching people coming in to prevent people bringing in their own booze so that MCD can make more profit from inflated drink prices inside.
    If they happen to find a weapon, they'll confiscate it but that's not their primary concern.
    Of course if MCD operated a knife shop inside the venue, you can be sure they'd find every weapon going.

:pac: you did that on purpose after reading post 1091 didnt you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Bruce7 wrote: »
    It's strange that football matches bring just as many of these people out as concerts, and confine them in similar sized spaces, but they pride themselves on their behaviour at matches - the best fans in the world, etc.

Is it something to do with the music that brings out the worst in them?
    what???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

Anybody see the way this is going ?, MCD's fault, Security's fault, Gardais fault......

What about the people who got so blind drunk, they couldn't look after themselves ?

What about the people who got out of their heads, they couldn't function ?

What about the people who physically assaulted other people ?

What about the people who stabbed other people ?

Welcome to ireland, 2012......all rights no responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

To people who believe that it's the contaminants in drugs that make them dangerous, most contaminants are less harmful than the drug they are used to bulk, cocaine for example is one of the most toxic substances you can ingest, it causes heart attacks in overdose and overdose has been known to occur at even very low doses, it's often when drugs are of a very high purity that drug deaths occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Lumbo wrote: »
    Hopefully so much cr@p happened at one event already

He was left without a conviction after he pleaded guilty to a charge of criminal damage when he appeared in Dublin District Court.
    What an excellent sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Predalien wrote: »
    To people who believe that it's the contaminants in drugs that make them dangerous, most contaminants are less harmful than the drug they are used to bulk, cocaine for example is one of the most toxic substances you can ingest, it causes heart attacks in overdose and overdose has been known to occur at even very low doses, it's often when drugs are of a very high purity that drug deaths occur.
    true....lots of heart attacks and health issues when Irish take coke in south america. Same with heroin, "great heroin" has often caused mulitiple deaths becuase the users are so used to using "more" of the crap stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Anybody see the way this is going ?, MCD's fault, Security's fault, Gardais fault......

What about the people who got so blind drunk, they couldn't look after themselves ?

That's a bit of simplistic view. The fact is, you're always going to get people like this who's aim is to cause trouble.

It's the state's responsibility to deal with these people and they're failing us law abiding citizens miserably. Not just in this aspect, but when it comes to the law in Ireland in general.

But I know what you're saying and yes, these people must be held responsible, but for it to happen, we've to find a justice system that works. The people who's job it is to do so, as I said, are failing us.

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Are you actually saying one drink is the equivalent to a pill?

You're obviously a drug user yes? Anything to justify your habit

Do you want some vinegar to go with that chip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Just to help understand some peoples views here, how many were actually at the concert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

humanji wrote: »

MOD NOTE
    ========

Whatever your opinion of the promoter of this event is, keep it to yourself. There was... unpleasantness last time. If you feel the need to mention them, stick to facts and not opinions.

Love how a gig can have 9 stabbings and a couple of deaths from overdose yet Ireland's courts would come down harder on people for blaming the promoter on the internet than they would on the people doing the stabbing/ drug selling. Absolutely boggles the mind. The libel laws in this country are a complete joke.

Just to exercise my right to free speech: MCD IS A JOKE

Just to help understand some peoples views here, how many were actually at the concert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

giggle84 wrote: »

Should have been more specific, I meant posters :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/man-refused-bail-in-relation-to-stabbing-of-tourist-at-swedish-house-mafia-concert-3164035.html?start=2

I'm glad at least he has been refused bail. I can't imagine what type of person goes to a concert with a knife. According to the above article the victim went to the assistance of an unknown female who had been involved in an altercation and subsequently was the victim of an “unprovoked attack”.
    It is an absolute disgrace and I hope all of the people responsible for this violence receive the maximum sentence available under law.

We can get over drunkness, drug use and general concert shenanigans but this level of violence against innocent people will make a lot of people and the parents of young people think twice about going to such concerts. It is a shame that what is supposed to be a great day out has ended like this.

I hope they find the missing girl Aoife. Hopefully, since she lost her phone etc, she is just unaware and uncontactable but well done everyone on trying to spread the message, as someone somewhere knows where she is.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

So why were there so much scum at that gig compared to other similar gigs in Europe?

Because in other country the scum from socially deprived areas are literally struggling to survive and could never afford to go to such a gig. In Ireland they can not only afford to go, but buy crates of beer and a **** load of drugs all on the tax payers money.

Maybe anyone who commits an offence while on social welfare should be cut off? My work facebook is full of lads who are talking about the gig on Saturday and most of them are unemployed. How can they afford to fork out over 100euros (tickets,alcohol,drugs) on one day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

And the home of pathetic, reductionist soundbites, it would seem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement