Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in UCD in September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

Mr.Fun wrote: »
    did anybody pick their electives yet?

Ya i did but its only provisional yet! i think its random selection and you'll find out on the 8th Sept

It's random selection for out of programme electives but in-programme electives are first come first serve so once you select it you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Some people have been asking about fees, UCD and SUSI.

What UCD say about it:
    Please note that there is no need to contact UCD about your grant, as SUSI will tell us about your application if it is successful.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/susi.html

Just make sure you have put in your SUSI number on the 'Personal Details' section during your Registration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 missmarm

Hi guys, i'm really excited to be starting college.
    i'll be doing french with history of art in UCD.
    i really wish i'd have gotten and on-campus accomodation,
    are there any other first years here who'll be living in blackrock halls?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jack.h

missmarm wrote: »
    Hi guys, i'm really excited to be starting college.
    i'll be doing french with history of art in UCD.
    i really wish i'd have gotten and on-campus accomodation,
    are there any other first years here who'll be living in blackrock halls?:)

Yeah i am and i am a first year. So are you in the east or west halls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 missmarm

East Hall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

Thank you! It's probably the same thing for me then. Sure I'll see when I get on.

Did you already know which electives you wanted before you logged on today?
    Should I research the different types of modules today before logging on? :)

I still haven't logged on yet - my start time is 3:30. I just found out this stuff by looking all over the UCD and SIS websites :P

This link gives a little bit of info about the different types of electives but not a lot: http://www.ucd.ie/students/electives.html

I still haven't a notion about what I'm going to (or supposed to!) pick... I guess I'll just see when I go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

drbtrenier wrote: »
    Thank you! It's probably the same thing for me then. Sure I'll see when I get on.

Did you already know which electives you wanted before you logged on today?
    Should I research the different types of modules today before logging on? :)

I still haven't logged on yet - my start time is 3:30. I just found out this stuff by looking all over the UCD and SIS websites :P

This link gives a little bit of info about the different types of electives but not a lot: http://www.ucd.ie/students/electives.html

I still haven't a notion about what I'm going to (or supposed to!) pick... I guess I'll just see when I go on.

Having a fair idea of what electives you want to do would be a good idea I think. There isn't a whole lot of information available once you enter the process. I just picked a subject that I did for the LC but isn't on my course (German) and then an in-programme elective too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Grealish123

Im a new starting first year and Im not familiar with picking electives etc. I have picked one elective but it is 'PROVISIONAL' and wont be confirmed till next week. If I dont get it next week I wont be left with much as all the popular options will be taken. Should I play safe and pick an elective that would be 'CONFIRMED'?

Also I am only allowed to pick one elective as when I try to choose a second one It says I cant choose until next week, anyone else having this problem?

Im a new starting first year and Im not familiar with picking electives etc. I have picked one elective but it is 'PROVISIONAL' and wont be confirmed till next week. If I dont get it next week I wont be left with much as all the popular options will be taken. Should I play safe and pick an elective that would be 'CONFIRMED'?

Also I am only allowed to pick one elective as when I try to choose a second one It says I cant choose until next week, anyone else having this problem?

UCD have added in a module called Intro to Arts. This has probably used up one of your electives leaving you with one.

If you pick an In-program elective it will be confirmed, but those outside of your program go to random allocation. It really depends on what you want to do. You'll get an email later on about how many places are there for it and how many are looking for it. You might be able to decide better then.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Grealish123

Ok thanks for that help, I dont really like the look of any of my in-program electives so think ill take my chances.

Im not doing Arts but it still only lets me pick one elective? --- It says "you are not allowed to register for any surplus credit until September 9th"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Jay3039

Hi I'm starting a law with history degree. I was looking at electives today and chose a social justice one. This makes my timetable on Wednesday look like this:

12 o clock- Law Lecture- in Roebuck Castle
    1 o clock- Social Justice Lecture- in the Health Sciences Centre.
    2 o clock- History Lecture- in Newman Building

I've only a fair idea of UCD campus but I think making these classes in time could be next to impossible! Can anyone confirm this so I can change the elective as soon as possible? (I'm not fussed about it or anything)

Jay3039 wrote: »
    Hi I'm starting a law with history degree. I was looking at electives today and chose a social justice one. This makes my timetable on Wednesday look like this:

12 o clock- Law Lecture- in Roebuck Castle

Which Module is this one?

Inequality in Irish Society SSJ10060

Inequality in Irish Society SSJ10060

The law one in Roebuck castle I meant. Just I'm looking at the timetable for Wed at 12 and I can't see anything for either semester.

Ok thanks for that help, I dont really like the look of any of my in-program electives so think ill take my chances.

Im not doing Arts but it still only lets me pick one elective? --- It says "you are not allowed to register for any surplus credit until September 9th"

Check to see if you have used up your credits (60 in total) on the right hand side of the page. Electives won't show up yet on it until you are confirmed, but you may have 55 between core/option. If you have 50, you should have 2 electives. If your at 55, you'll have one.

sorry i meant tutorials for law10050. they're on every even numbered week

sorry i meant tutorials for law10050. they're on every even numbered week

I see them now. Yeah, its a long run from Roe. to HEA., but either try that or change the tutorial.

Thanks but I think tutorials are fixed as of now. Might inquire next week. See the problem with my in module elective for semester 1 (Law 10360) is its on at 9 - 10 every Friday morning. Am I the only who can see why students might be a bit resistant to this?

Thanks but I think tutorials are fixed as of now. Might inquire next week. See the problem with my in module elective for semester 1 (Law 10360) is its on at 9 - 10 every Friday morning. Am I the only who can see why students might be a bit resistant to this?

I don't see how you'd be locked out of the tutorial selection yet. You should be able to select an earlier/later time up till the 21st at least I'd have thought.

Students may be resistant to it, but UCD consider your a FULL TIME student, which means available to them 5 days a week, 9-6 basically. Might have to go easy on the pints on Thursday night. :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Urghhhhhhh UCD rejected my photo. :( My sister's was so dark and stuff and I used her camera and it looked the same :confused: Took a better one and I'm hoping it'll be accepted, it's pretty much fitting the template the same as hers did but obviously my face isn't oval shaped like the thing wants, and it keeps distorting the pictures.

On a better note, my timetable is sexy. I have no 9am starts, and while I have a long Monday, it begins at 12. I didn't get any options with intro to arts though, it seems all International Languages students got put into the same one, but I like that idea. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 wemsie

I'm doing DN512 (English with Drama) and have to do at least one extra subject and Introduction to Arts in first year. I had 30 credits preselected with E&D, but I was SO confused for the rest of the subjects. I picked Philosophy and History as well, and two options within those, so I had 50 credits. Then I selected a Poetry elective. I had 5 credits left over for Introduction to Arts but I couldn't find it? :/ and the subjects were red, as were electives. I was at it for about two hours and then stopped so I'm going to call the student desk in the morning and ask them.

Did anyone else have similar problems?
    Or can anyone reassure me that it's all going to be okay? :P

wemsie wrote: »
    I'm doing DN512 (English with Drama) and have to do at least one extra subject and Introduction to Arts in first year. I had 30 credits preselected with E&D, but I was SO confused for the rest of the subjects. I picked Philosophy and History as well, and two options within those, so I had 50 credits. Then I selected a Poetry elective. I had 5 credits left over for Introduction to Arts but I couldn't find it? :/ and the subjects were red, as were electives. I was at it for about two hours and then stopped so I'm going to call the student desk in the morning and ask them.

Did anyone else have similar problems?
    Or can anyone reassure me that it's all going to be okay? :P
    Are you sure you didn't just have 5 left over for another module? Introduction to Arts is given to you automatically, I'm pretty sure all you do is pick a time for it. :)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Are you sure you didn't just have 5 left over for another module? Introduction to Arts is given to you automatically, I'm pretty sure all you do is pick a time for it. :)

I don't think so, Introduction to Arts wasn't on my timetable or the list.
    I'm kind of envious of all of my friends who are going to NUIG, theirs was apparently a lot easier :P
    Then again, I could just be making it seem more difficult than it actual is. Nerves and all that :)

I don't think so, Introduction to Arts wasn't on my timetable or the list.
    I'm kind of envious of all of my friends who are going to NUIG, theirs was apparently a lot easier :P
    Then again, I could just be making it seem more difficult than it actual is. Nerves and all that :)
    Oh, are you sure? It's listed as HUM10030 or something like that, being compulsory I'm pretty sure it's put there somewhere! :O Hahaha no don't worry, I don't know anyone who's found this easy at all, but once it's all over we'll be grand! :D

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Oh, are you sure? It's listed as HUM10030 or something like that, being compulsory I'm pretty sure it's put there somewhere! :O Hahaha no don't worry, I don't know anyone who's found this easy at all, but once it's all over we'll be grand! :D

Wasn't there :( I just checked my UCD email and there was something about Intro to Arts being available tomorrow morning. Those crazy mofos :P
    How're you set for next week? Accommodation and what not all sorted? :)

For anyone who didn't have the Humanities Module 'Introduction to Arts - HUM10030' automatically added to their timetable, be warned - UCD will happily kick you off a module to put it in, so keep an eye on your modules in case they do. You wouldn't want any surprises the first week, or worse, the last.

Maldesu wrote: »
    For anyone who didn't have the Humanities Module 'Introduction to Arts - HUM10030' automatically added to their timetable, be warned - UCD will happily kick you off a module to put it in, so keep an eye on your modules in case they do. You wouldn't want any surprises the first week, or worse, the last.

Meep, I'll call them in the morning then. Thanks Maldesu!

Meep, I'll call them in the morning then. Thanks Maldesu!

Only reason I mentioned it was the FB for UCD Registry mentioned that it was not showing up for some students. They are supposed to be adding it back tomorrow, but I don't know if it will be added back on the list, or will they kick you off something to put it in.

Maldesu wrote: »
    Only reason I mentioned it was the FB for UCD Registry mentioned that it was not showing up for some students. They are supposed to be adding it back tomorrow, but I don't know if it will be added back on the list, or will they kick you off something to put it in.

Got Introduction to Arts this morning, so I'm all good on that front.
    Now if I could get the subject status to turn green I'd be flying :P
    I've tweeted the student desk to see if they can fix it.

Thanks for your help :)

• Advertisement

UPDATE:
    I *think* I have succesfully registered! All the status things are green, I'm now English with Drama (with History and Philosophy) :P
    Should there be a confirm button or do I just leave it at the summary?

Advertisement