Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in UCD in September 2012

Options
  • 07-07-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey guys,

this is for everyone going into first year in UCD in September! I couldn't find another thread like this so I just made a new one.

Post whatever course you hope to do and any tips or questions you might have about starting there. I've been to the open days and I'm really excited to start!

I'm probably gonna end up doing English and History in Arts. I can't wait for freshers week as well - my friends already there said it was unreal!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 literatefarmer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056689329 I had already set up this little thread just for Arts! But having a general thread is a good idea as well methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

lizlemon16 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

this is for everyone going into first year in UCD in September! I couldn't find another thread like this so I just made a new one.

Post whatever course you hope to do and any tips or questions you might have about starting there. I've been to the open days and I'm really excited to start!

I'm probably gonna end up doing English and History in Arts. I can't wait for freshers week as well - my friends already there said it was unreal!!:)

did commerce in first year last year... going back for law again in 1st year :P . absolutely slick
    girls are top notch....

im friends with some english and history students going into 2nd year now lol.... great bunch of guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Ooh I'm hoping to do Arts, English and History too :D hehe random xD

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Was hoping for econ & finance but now know I wont get the points for it.

So Commerce & Merville it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 thedice

Hoping to do computer science. Really looking forward to it, if I get the points. Can't wait to join some societies and only do things that I want to do. Freedom!!ha
    Will probably put down my name for Merville as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

First Year inter course is easy enough I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Hoping for nursing! :) Haha was looking at Merville too!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeXtER1978

Hi, got offered a place for DN201 - Computer Science

Can any students let me know if the course is any good and confirm the following - Some people are telling me that the course is more theory based compared to other I.T.'s and not that much lab work.

Thanks
    Del.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Another Computer Science hopeful here :)
    DeXtER1978 wrote: »

Can any students let me know if the course is any good and confirm the following - Some people are telling me that the course is more theory based compared to other I.T.'s and not that much lab work.

Thanks
    Del.

The jist I got was that the old course was very theoretical but the new course in the last two years has been much more hands on, although probably still more theoretical compared to other colleges. Hopefully someone doing the new course will tell us if it's any good or not :pac:

Another Computer Science hopeful here :)

The jist I got was that the old course was very theoretical but the new course in the last two years has been much more hands on, although probably still more theoretical compared to other colleges. Hopefully someone doing the new course will tell us if it's any good or not :pac:

Well, how much do you think the points might go up by for CS? I know that no ones knows but still its worth a guess. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

thedice wrote: »
    Well, how much do you think the points might go up by for CS? I know that no ones knows but still its worth a guess. :)

I'd say it'd go up by 15-35 points. Hopefully at the lower end of that scale :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

DeXtER1978 wrote: »

Thanks
    Del.

Here you go

Fair bit of theory still there I'm afraid: but Computer Science in Practice is a welcome new addition.

And here's where you'll have most of your course material.
    thedice wrote: »
    Well, how much do you think the points might go up by for CS?

Recent CAO prediction

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

First choice is International Languages, I'm dying to go to UCD, its such a nice place. :D

Lets just hope I get it... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lizlemon16

Ooh I'm hoping to do Arts, English and History too :D hehe random xD

see u there!
    i hear in trinity people care a lot more about who your friends with and what you wear and all that **** and that in UCD everyone is way more relaxed and theres no kind of hierarchy. I went to a really preppy school so I cant wait to go to UCD and not have to worry about the popular things!!

I also hear dominoes give away a load of free pizza during orientation week so it just keeps getting better..!:)

anyone know anything more about freshers week?

anyone know anything more about freshers week?

its amazing craic...u get tons of usless **** .... i still have uncle bens microwave egg rice and a few chocolate rice krispie squares.

you get lots of condoms....

^dont have any of those any more...heehee ;)

see u there!
    i hear in UCD people care a lot more about who your friends with and what you wear and all that **** and that in TRINITY everyone is way more relaxed and theres no kind of hierarchy. I went to a really preppy school so I cant wait to go to UCD and not have to worry about the popular things!!

I also hear dominoes give away a load of free pizza during orientation week so it just keeps getting better..!:)

*FIXED

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭paddykell

I'm hoping to do Arts English and History too! It's a small world - or maybe, it's just a world full of people who like English and History. Either way, it's very cool indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lido84

will be a veterinary nursing student come september, cant frickin wait. I also cant wait to see wat the new sports hall is like. any other veterinary nursing newbies coming in September??

wheres people planning on living? in halls?
    i live to far away to commute so I want to get an apartment with friends,

• Advertisement

Anyone hoping to live in Merville?
    The new student centre looks savage too! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

brownlad wrote: »
    its amazing craic...u get tons of usless **** .... i still have uncle bens microwave egg rice and a few chocolate rice krispie squares.

you get lots of condoms....

^dont have any of those any more...heehee ;)

Fan of the ould posh ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Hopefully will be doing Psychology in Spet.
    Only just applied for Campus accommodation there though and I don't think I'll get it, I'm like 2800 on the list or something. :/
    What are the chances??
    Also, does anyone know any differences between Belgrove and Merville?
    I've been advised to go for Merville but I think Belgrove is closer to the buildings I'd be studying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DANCE111

biohaiid wrote: »
    Hopefully will be doing Psychology in Spet.
    Only just applied for Campus accommodation there though and I don't think I'll get it, I'm like 2800 on the list or something. :/
    What are the chances??
    Also, does anyone know any differences between Belgrove and Merville?
    I've been advised to go for Merville but I think Belgrove is closer to the buildings I'd be studying in.

Oh God, u have left it very late to apply for on campus accom! Im certain your place on the waitlist will go down as there are always people on the waitlist who don't study in UCD come September. I'm not sure whether or not will get an offer, since theres around 700 places or so for incoming first years!

With regards to Merville or Belgrove, I would also advise you to choose Merville. It's much better value than Belgrove, and the apartments are in much better condition. Yes Belgrove is much closer to the main campus buildings, but Merville is only about a 5 min walk anyway, so it's not far at all!!! Hope this info helps in some way. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stillnatural

I lived in Belgrove last year and was the best craic ever. I didnt know anyone else living there so i was nervous about moving in, I ended up living with 2 guys but it was fine.If I was a first year again I would go back to Belgrove. It isnt as bad as some people make out.

3 people share an apartment and in Merville 4 people share an apartment. Most of merville have 2 toilets and belgrove has one. Belgrove has ovens which I dont think i'd have been able to survive without. I brought up a microwave from home with me also. Pots and pans and cutlery arent supplied. Bedrooms are basic with space to hang clothes, a lamp and a desk and chair. If you are moving to Belgrove pick a room 1 or 3 as they are bigger than most room 2s. 2 houses have been done up in belgrove aswell house 34 and 35 i think but not 100% sure. They appear to be similar to the new merville apartments. Theres a mixture of students from all years and all countries in most of the residences.

Belgrove and Merville are both the same thing really, only most of Merville is newer and Merville is beside centra and connected to Glenomena so no problem sneaking from one to the other after the gates lock at night.

Belgrove is closer to everything but its only a few minutes extra walk in the morning. Merville is also closer to the bus stop now. Originally i wanted Merville but i was only offered Belgrove but i'm so happy i did get Belgrove. Wherever you go you are more than likely going to enjoy it.

Freshers week is good, make sure to get loads of free stuff in the orientation tent. And yes pizza comes to the tent like once every hour , i managed to miss it lots of the time though.

I didn't really get involved in any societies or sports clubs last year which i regret. Also run for class rep and get involved. You meet so many more people and make so many more friends and get to go to so many more sessions. Lots have free drink and great nights out. Get involved in everything right from the start if you can.

Hope this helps any first years. Any more questions feel free to ask :)

DANCE111 wrote: »
    Oh God, u have left it very late to apply for on campus accom! Im certain your place on the waitlist will go down as there are always people on the waitlist who don't study in UCD come September. I'm not sure whether or not will get an offer, since theres around 700 places or so for incoming first years!

With regards to Merville or Belgrove, I would also advise you to choose Merville. It's much better value than Belgrove, and the apartments are in much better condition. Yes Belgrove is much closer to the main campus buildings, but Merville is only about a 5 min walk anyway, so it's not far at all!!! Hope this info helps in some way. :-)

I know, I had no idea about any sort of waitlist untill recently!
    I must tell a few of my friends going there too, don't think anyone was really informed of it.
    We'll see I guess. I'll look at a few off-campus places just incase. I have a few friends who don't want to stay on-campus so hopefully they'll have a place for me if it comes to it. :)

Yeah, first choice definately Merville, but I'd take Belgrove if I was offered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 silleekitee

Hey guys:)
    I'm hoping for law in UCD! Are any of you planning on living off-campus?
    I dont know if living on campus will really suit my budget!!

Hey guys:)
    I'm hoping for law in UCD! Are any of you planning on living off-campus?
    I dont know if living on campus will really suit my budget!!

I originally really wanted to live off-campus, but I've considered on-campus for a bit now and I really wouldnt mind either. :)
    I've been advised that on-campus ends up cheaper than off-campus on the long run, especially for UCD as accommodation is pretty expensive around the area, plus bills and food and travel. At least you wouldn't have to worry about that with on-campus, its all inclusive, including meals. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

biohaiid wrote: »
    I originally really wanted to live off-campus, but I've considered on-campus for a bit now and I really wouldnt mind either. :)
    I've been advised that on-campus ends up cheaper than off-campus on the long run, especially for UCD as accommodation is pretty expensive around the area, plus bills and food and travel. At least you wouldn't have to worry about that with on-campus, its all inclusive, including meals. :)

No its not all inclusive, meals are only included for one of the residences (Roebuck Halls I think?) and the price is higher because of it. It is definitely not cheaper to live on campus. On campus can be great craic and loads of fun but no way is it better value. I lived in Merville for First year, works out at 527 a month I think and Merville is the second cheapest to live in. And yes while that includes bills, the place I rent now outside of campus is just over half of that, including bills. For travel you can get a monthly bus pass which I also got while I was living on campus mainly because you need it if you're going around Dublin at all. Still have to buy all your own food which is great craic when you don't have an oven.

Also while living on campus you don't have the freedom of having a few friends over for a movie night. Only one person in the apartment can have someone signed in at one time. If we wanted the lads across the hall from us in to watch a movie after ten in the evening 9 times out of 10 they got thrown out because we didn't have them signed in.

It was very handy for First year to get use to your surroundings and everything but no way would I live on campus again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Also while living on campus you don't have the freedom of having a few friends over for a movie night. Only one person in the apartment can have someone signed in at one time. If we wanted the lads across the hall from us in to watch a movie after ten in the evening 9 times out of 10 they got thrown out because we didn't have them signed in.

Half the people wouldn't bother about that whole signing people in jazz. You must have been making a lot of noise to get someone kicked out, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered you.

Advertisement