Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in UCD in September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

DeXtER1978 wrote: »
    Hi, got offered a place for DN201 - Computer Science

Can any students let me know if the course is any good and confirm the following - Some people are telling me that the course is more theory based compared to other I.T.'s and not that much lab work.

Thanks
    Del.

There is a good bit of theory. People see this as a bad thing which it isn't. It doesn't really effect your ability to get a job. The difference between Computer Science VS a Software Engineering degree is that Computer Science is focused more on the theory side of things. The thing about theory is that it's pretty static and doesn't really change. Which is a better thing to learn than something trendy that may die out in a year or few years time.

With regards to lab work. There is a lot of lab work. Most modules will have some kind of lab work. I did the degree and I'm really happy I did it. It was a good degree.

If you want get some kind of idea about the modules you will do throughout the degree you can see a list of them here:
    http://www.csi.ucd.ie/view/modules

My number one piece of advise I can give you to get through the degree is don't get lazy. Keep up with your assignments and always submit them all not matter how badly you've done in them.

I'd also try to get to know your Computer Science class and get talking to some people. Being apart of some group within the class is a great tool. As there will be times you don't know what you're doing or are having problems with an assignment and you can ask someone for help on understanding the assignment. Of course by this I don't mean constantly hound your class mates either.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Neeson wrote: »
    Half the people wouldn't bother about that whole signing people in jazz. You must have been making a lot of noise to get someone kicked out, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered you.

No? We were constantly getting people kicked out and we were four girls all fairly quiet we knew better then to have parties in our own apartment. I can only think of one time that we genuinely loud, and one of the girls got a fairly large fine for not signing in a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

No? We were constantly getting people kicked out and we were four girls all fairly quiet we knew better then to have parties in our own apartment. I can only think of one time that we genuinely loud, and one of the girls got a fairly large fine for not signing in a friend.

Well they don't check every apartment every night so how would they know? Unless they could see in your window and there were more people in the room than should be in an apartment.

You must have been incredibly unlucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

No its not all inclusive, meals are only included for one of the residences (Roebuck Halls I think?) and the price is higher because of it. It is definitely not cheaper to live on campus. On campus can be great craic and loads of fun but no way is it better value. I lived in Merville for First year, works out at 527 a month I think and Merville is the second cheapest to live in. And yes while that includes bills, the place I rent now outside of campus is just over half of that, including bills. For travel you can get a monthly bus pass which I also got while I was living on campus mainly because you need it if you're going around Dublin at all. Still have to buy all your own food which is great craic when you don't have an oven.

Also while living on campus you don't have the freedom of having a few friends over for a movie night. Only one person in the apartment can have someone signed in at one time. If we wanted the lads across the hall from us in to watch a movie after ten in the evening 9 times out of 10 they got thrown out because we didn't have them signed in.

It was very handy for First year to get use to your surroundings and everything but no way would I live on campus again.

It says on the website that Merville, the one I want to stay in anyways, is catered accommodation, with a breakfast and evening meal paid for each day?

I've applied for campus, and I have a few places noted for off-campus. I really don't mind which I end up with tbh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stillnatural

biohaiid wrote: »
    It says on the website that Merville, the one I want to stay in anyways, is catered accommodation, with a breakfast and evening meal paid for each day?

I've applied for campus, and I have a few places noted for off-campus. I really don't mind which I end up with tbh. :)

Merville is 100% not catered. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

I'm going for computer Science too. I heard there's more practical stuff in DIT and that but I live right beside UCD so it's first on the CAO.

Also UCD sounds better and can't wait to use the new sports centre!

That would be Muckross which isn't actually on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Starting my Masters in September. Just finished a psych degree in UCD. Looking forward to being a graduate student and getting access to the different study areas etc! (how boring!). For any new psych students, I may be tutoring you too hehe :). Lived on campus for 3 years, and finally moving somewhere else now in order to keep up with a few internships. I experienced Roebuck and Glenomena and found Glenomena to be best. June in the office used to be so helpful with lock outs etc. I arrived late to check out of Glenomena one year, and she didn't charge me the late check out fee of 50 euro once I explained that I had most of my stuff moved out. I see now that her job has been replaced by a group of student RAs (as far as I know)...

Merville is 100% not catered. :confused:
    That would be Muckross which isn't actually on campus.

Oh, do you know what these catering costs are for so?
    It says that catered means 2 meals .. confused. :/
    Merville is the first one, I haven't looked at muckross.

http://www.ucd.ie/residences/studentpages/fees201213/

Oh, do you know what these catering costs are for so?
    It says that catered means 2 meals .. confused. :/
    Merville is the first one, I haven't looked at muckross.

http://www.ucd.ie/residences/studentpages/fees201213/

Belgrove Residence

Merville Residence

Roebuck Hall Residence

Roebuck Castle Catered Residence*

Muckross Catered Residence*

Blackrock Halls of Residence

Glenomena Residence

Proby Residence

Roebuck Castle and Muckross are the only two I can see that are catered. If you read through the outline of the payments it only refers to catering with those two.

• Advertisement

Belgrove Residence

Merville Residence

Roebuck Hall Residence

Roebuck Castle Catered Residence*

Muckross Catered Residence*

Blackrock Halls of Residence

Glenomena Residence

Proby Residence

Roebuck Castle and Muckross are the only two I can see that are catered. If you read through the outline of the payments it only refers to catering with those two.

Okay don't know where I've been getting these catering costs so. :L
    It's prob better this way. I'm a fussy eater and would end up wasting the lot.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Aoife_

I'm hoping to study Law and Business in Sep and hopefully get either Roebuck/Glenomena :) Can't wait for freshers week and everything to follow ! :) Any one else doing a law/business course ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Glitter_star94

I've applied and hoping to study veterinary medicine at UCD in September, really want to get in! anyone else for veterinary? And also does anyone know what happens when offers come out, is accommodation started the same day?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

DeXtER1978 wrote: »
    Hi, got offered a place for DN201 - Computer Science

Can any students let me know if the course is any good and confirm the following - Some people are telling me that the course is more theory based compared to other I.T.'s and not that much lab work.

Thanks
    Del.

I'm studying Engineering & it's similar in that it's a bit more theory based than some colleges (though still loads of labs!). It's actually a good thing. No matter what new technology comes out, the same theory will always apply, whereas you might learn how to do some practical stuff that could be obsolete by the time you start working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fuzzyduck88

lido84 wrote: »
    will be a veterinary nursing student come september, cant frickin wait. I also cant wait to see wat the new sports hall is like. any other veterinary nursing newbies coming in September??

Hi I will be doing veterinary nursing in September too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

Hope to go to UCD in Sept, doing either Science or Arts depending on the points I get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rokeefe

I've applied and hoping to study veterinary medicine at UCD in September, really want to get in! anyone else for veterinary? And also does anyone know what happens when offers come out, is accommodation started the same day?
    Ya I'm hoping to do vet med in ucd aswell in sept. did u just do the leaving cert aswell this year? If u have what do u think the points will go up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GeneralMapache

Aoife_ wrote: »
    I'm hoping to study Law and Business in Sep and hopefully get either Roebuck/Glenomena :) Can't wait for freshers week and everything to follow ! :) Any one else doing a law/business course ?
    I have Business and Law down too! Sounds like a great course.

Rokeefe wrote: »
    Ya I'm hoping to do vet med in ucd aswell in sept. did u just do the leaving cert aswell this year? If u have what do u think the points will go up to?

I did a-levels, but yeah I did the, this year :)
    I thought the minimum last year was 560, but on this website it says it was 565 and it shows all the other years in the past
    http://www.careersportal.ie/courses/coursedetail.php?course_id=366

I'm not sure about my grades though, I'd say I could get 570 possibly , but I think because I'm an A-level candidate, I have to get higher than the minimum points so not really too sure :/
    How are you feeling about it all?

I did a-levels, but yeah I did the, this year :)
    I thought the minimum last year was 560, but on this website it says it was 565 and it shows all the other years in the past
    http://www.careersportal.ie/courses/coursedetail.php?course_id=366

I'm not sure about my grades though, I'd say I could get 570 possibly , but I think because I'm an A-level candidate, I have to get higher than the minimum points so not really too sure :/
    How are you feeling about it all?
    Pretty nervous now, only ten days until the results. Those points don't make a difference. The bonus 25 points for honours maths will drive it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Lads if you have the choice go for Belgrove! Its way more relaxed and you get to know everyone staying there easier because its smaller than merville.
    I didnt actually live on campus but in second semester i basically did.. slept on different peoples couches.. brought a bag full of clothes and towels in on the monday, left on the friday... I got to know a good few people and i didnt even live there properly!
    Plus from experience i can safely say that Belgrove is a lot easier to sneak into on a night out.. just incase you try bringing someone home..
    Mervilles harder unless you hop the back gate into glena.. but then youve to walk through glena.. and yea.. Ras always walking around the place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

oh and belgrove is dead handy for the science building if any of ye are thinking of doing it or health sciences or ag..
    up at 90 to nine, quick shower.. pop over and sitting in your lecture right on 9! :D

Pretty nervous now, only ten days until the results. Those points don't make a difference. The bonus 25 points for honours maths will drive it up.

which points don't make a difference? and yes i'm so glad i did maths haha

which points don't make a difference? and yes i'm so glad i did maths haha
    The previous years entry points that were on the link. The majority of people going for veterinary would have taken honours maths this year knowing how much the bonus points would help. Then again the mess that the sec made of paper 2, who knows what could happen!!!! No matter what I get on the 15 th I still Wong be able to relax until the 20th(cao offers). Have u booked ur accommodation yet???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LMC12

I'm hoping to start engineering in September.

Does anyone know when we will be starting? As in will it be the first week of September?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

LMC12 wrote: »

Does anyone know when we will be starting? As in will it be the first week of September?

If you haven't been to UCD before: Orientation Week 3rd Septemer
    (dunno what the case is for postgrad students who haven't been to UCD before. Orientation is pretty crap for postgrads :D)

The UCD term for everyone begins 10th September (lectures).

Generally labs and tutorials begin the second week; 17th September

Freshers' Week & Sports Expo begins 17th September (despite its name its actually for evryone)

Sports' Expo ends 20th September

Freshers week ends 21th September

Change of mind for Semester 1 modules ends 21th September @ c.5pm

If I remember correctly :p

The previous years entry points that were on the link. The majority of people going for veterinary would have taken honours maths this year knowing how much the bonus points would help. Then again the mess that the sec made of paper 2, who knows what could happen!!!! No matter what I get on the 15 th I still Wong be able to relax until the 20th(cao offers). Have u booked ur accommodation yet???????

Ahh I see, I get mine of the 16th, getting scared! And yeah, but I'm really far down on the list like 2500 or something because I didn't realise about you having to book it! :/ have you? And what is your second choice if you don't get in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LMC12

If you haven't been to UCD before: Orientation Week 3rd Septemer
    (dunno what the case is for postgrad students who haven't been to UCD before. Orientation is pretty crap for postgrads :D)

The UCD term for everyone begins 10th September (lectures).

Generally labs and tutorials begin the second week; 17th September

Freshers' Week & Sports Expo begins 17th September (despite its name its actually for evryone)

Sports' Expo ends 20th September

Freshers week ends 21th September

Change of mind for Semester 1 modules ends 21th September @ c.5pm

If I remember correctly :p

Thanks for all the info! What kind of stuff goes on orientation week?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Thanks for all the info! What kind of stuff goes on orientation week?

The events and their times depend large on your course

http://www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents/orientation_timetables.html

+ other stuff if you have to set up accommodation, presumably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 lizlemon16

Anyone know when the marking scheme for the leaving cert comes out?? really curious for a few subjects like biology.

Advertisement