Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE1: Creedon's Cities - except Waterford!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Caring about Waterford and its development does not go hand in hand with caring about what RTE and TV3 think of us.

More people would care about Waterford and it's development if we had a more significant public profile through the likes of RTE and TV3, would you agree?

The way I look at it, every little helps, throw enough mud at the wall and some of it will stick etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I really wouldn't agree. The only people who care about Waterford's development are Waterford people. There are a number of citizens who put an extraordinary amount of energy into trying to get satisfaction from RTE and TV3. If they were to use that energy and vigor to actually do something constructive in Waterford then we could be well on our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Caring about Waterford and its development does not go hand in hand with caring about what RTE and TV3 think of us.

Strange viewpoint. It's something called National (and International) exposure. Look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

There are a number of citizens who put an extraordinary amount of energy into trying to get satisfaction from RTE and TV3. If they were to use that energy and vigor to actually do something constructive in Waterford then we could be well on our way.

It's been pointed out by fricatus very clearly, and others, why Waterford's image is extremely important for every facet of the development of the city. You'd want to be blind not to see the link between profile and development, investment, and so on. The efforts that people make in this direction, such as sending complaints, and so on, take relatively little time but cumulatively they do have an impact. The likes of RTE are required by law to address official complaints as to their objectivity and impartiality. You can be sure that TV3 are sick of hearing about it, and they might just keep Waterford in mind for the map rather than have to answer a bunch of emails. So people get reasonable bang for their buck doing this sort of thing, and why not, a bit of catharsis as well if they are upset about it.

And regarding this nobody cares outside Waterford rubbish, we live in a sovereign republic that is supposed to treat all citizens equally, which means treating regions and localities equally, where it doesn't run against the national interest. People may not be too bothered about Waterford, but citizens in general would not be happy if certain parts of the country were systematically treated better or worse than the rest. Where this is the norm, it's the mark of a corrupt jurisdiction.

Having said all that, tell us about your great ideas for how people could be (more) constructive about promoting Waterford in Waterford? Picking up litter off the streets? Standing around the viking triangle giving tourists directions? What exactly? Maybe people will agree with you and start doing those things.

I really wouldn't agree. The only people who care about Waterford's development are Waterford people. There are a number of citizens who put an extraordinary amount of energy into trying to get satisfaction from RTE and TV3. If they were to use that energy and vigor to actually do something constructive in Waterford then we could be well on our way.

Jesus. People in a community........caring about that community. Now isn't that radical. Facing down discrimination of said community would be top of anyone's list. And if the naysayers would only do something constructive like lodging a compliant with RTE it might be a good starting point.

• Advertisement

7upfree wrote: »
    Jesus. People in a community........caring about that community. Now isn't that radical. Facing down discrimination of said community would be top of anyone's list. And if the naysayers would only do something constructive like lodging a compliant with RTE it might be a good starting point.

You've arrived here on the arrogant bus I see. Someone has a different opinion to you and you can't handle it?

The fact is, all I see are Waterford people whinging because they don't get as much "national exposure" as they'd like. Kilkenny, Limerick, Wexford etc...get about as much as we get but they don't seem to have a similar chip on their shoulder. It's that chip that gets us a bad reputation and probably contributes to the fact that we're sometimes "ignored".

I wonder do these people who expend so much energy complaining to TV stations, take a little time to do some volunteer work to make things a bit better around here?

merlante wrote: »
    It's been pointed out by fricatus very clearly, and others, why Waterford's image is extremely important for every facet of the development of the city. You'd want to be blind not to see the link between profile and development, investment, and so on. The efforts that people make in this direction, such as sending complaints, and so on, take relatively little time but cumulatively they do have an impact. The likes of RTE are required by law to address official complaints as to their objectivity and impartiality. You can be sure that TV3 are sick of hearing about it, and they might just keep Waterford in mind for the map rather than have to answer a bunch of emails. So people get reasonable bang for their buck doing this sort of thing, and why not, a bit of catharsis as well if they are upset about it.

And regarding this nobody cares outside Waterford rubbish, we live in a sovereign republic that is supposed to treat all citizens equally, which means treating regions and localities equally, where it doesn't run against the national interest. People may not be too bothered about Waterford, but citizens in general would not be happy if certain parts of the country were systematically treated better or worse than the rest. Where this is the norm, it's the mark of a corrupt jurisdiction.

Having said all that, tell us about your great ideas for how people could be (more) constructive about promoting Waterford in Waterford? Picking up litter off the streets? Standing around the viking triangle giving tourists directions? What exactly? Maybe people will agree with you and start doing those things.

I have volunteered for the Imagine Festival and the Spraoi Festival in recent years. I sat in on meetings that brought the merry go round to John Roberts Square and put forward a number of other ideas at said meetings. I've helped get our press releases to National media to try and get out the word about a number of local events that we have tried to get off the ground.

You can be facetious all you want, but what's wrong with going out and picking up litter or spending a weekend trying to make a particular area look better? Are you one of these people that love nothing more than to sit at home on your ass and complain about stuff but actually do very little work to contribute to your locality. Tell us, what in the last year, have you done to make waterford a better place. Besides complain about TV3 and RTE that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I have volunteered for the Imagine Festival and the Spraoi Festival in recent years. I sat in on meetings that brought the merry go round to John Roberts Square and put forward a number of other ideas at said meetings. I've helped get our press releases to National media to try and get out the word about a number of local events that we have tried to get off the ground.

You can be facetious all you want, but what's wrong with going out and picking up litter or spending a weekend trying to make a particular area look better? Are you one of these people that love nothing more than to sit at home on your ass and complain about stuff but actually do very little work to contribute to your locality. Tell us, what in the last year, have you done to make waterford a better place. Besides complain about TV3 and RTE that is.

I don't think Merlante is in any way being facetious, and I'm certainly not either when I take my hat off to you for all the things you list above.

I think you're misunderstanding the motivation behind much of what's being discussed here though. You speak of a chip on our shoulder, and how this causes us to be "disliked" nationally. I disagree - I think we are completely and utterly ignored, and this is the problem!

Aside from a few isolated individuals, I'm not aware of anyone disliking us, even when we point out where Waterford is left off "lists". Most people seem to have no opinion either way - rather they just didn't think Waterford was significant enough to be mentioned, because they were of the same mindset that allows this thing to be perpetuated. Most people are happy enough to oblige us when the issue is pointed out. This effort of contacting RTE, etc. has paid dividends: the fact that Waterford is listed at the end of the weather forecast is a direct result of such a campaign!

I think it's unfair of you not to acknowledge that this is a worthwhile topic for discussion and campaigning. For example you mention Spraoi and Imagine - two superb festivals. But for all the wonderful work that is put into those, and all the great fun we have, is the work of people like yourself ever acknowledged at a national level? Only barely I would say!

I have to ask you the question: are you happy that you volunteer for a wonderful festival like Spraoi, but that when you travel up the country and discuss street theatre, everyone mentions Macnas? Surely wider acclaim for your effort is a motivation?

What motivates me is that I think Waterford is a great place because of the things being done on the ground, and that it could be so much better with relatively little effort from certain national decision makers. In fairness I've never seen a lack of local effort as ever being a problem, but that can only ever be part of the picture. We need national support in so many areas too, and that can only come when we are at the forefront of the national mind - which we're not.

I'm not being facetious, although it is pretty ridiculous telling people what they're doing is pointless and they should be doing better when you give no indication of what would be better. Fair play to you for what you have done in Waterford. However, other people have their own ideas about what should be done, and these ideas are naturally aligned with their own interests. Rather than pitting what other people are doing against what you are doing, why can't you just accept that people have different ideas about what should be done?

As for myself, I do plenty here and there, and I don't feel the need to broadcast it. I'm not the one coming on here, deriding what other people are doing. You are. Telling us about your wonderful achievements is not the same thing as suggesting to people in general how their time is better spent than in highlighting issues relating to Waterford's national profile. I, and plenty of people on here, happen to think that is hugely important. A few small wins on the profile front could indirectly swing a few grants for some of the things that you are involved in. You should be aware that it has been traditionally a lot more difficult to get Arts Council and Bord Failte cash into Waterford than into other locations. You should also be aware that Spraoi's profile is low outside of the south east, mostly because Waterford's profile is low, which is linked to lower tourism priorities and even to inferior coverage in the likes of the Lonely Planet and so on and so on. (Although this seems to be changing.) All of this is intricately linked together. So instead of moaning why can't you leave people get on with what their doing?

I'm just not sure that we're being ignored on the level that you think we are.

You make some good points that would be impossible for me to argue with but, for me, the main issue is people becoming side tracked (to one extent), and obsessed (to another extent) with RTE and TV3's supposed vendetta against Waterford. There is of course a pro-Dublin anti-rest of the country agenda that I couldn't possibly defend, but to suggest that Waterford is singled out for exclusion is a bit far fetched. (in my opinion)

Mind you, we're in the second stage of pitching a pilot set in Waterford to RTE...if they show us the door I'll stand behind you with a pitch fork and a flaming bale of hay.

• Advertisement

I'm not being facetious, although it is pretty ridiculous telling people what they're doing is pointless and they should be doing better when you give no indication of what would be better. Fair play to you for what you have done in Waterford. However, other people have their own ideas about what should be done, and these ideas are naturally aligned with their own interests. Rather than pitting what other people are doing against what you are doing, why can't you just accept that people have different ideas about what should be done?

As for myself, I do plenty here and there, and I don't feel the need to broadcast it. I'm not the one coming on here, deriding what other people are doing. You are. Telling us about your wonderful achievements is not the same thing as suggesting to people in general how their time is better spent than in highlighting issues relating to Waterford's national profile. I, and plenty of people on here, happen to think that is hugely important. A few small wins on the profile front could indirectly swing a few grants for some of the things that you are involved in. You should be aware that it has been traditionally a lot more difficult to get Arts Council and Bord Failte cash into Waterford than into other locations. You should also be aware that Spraoi's profile is low outside of the south east, mostly because Waterford's profile is low, which is linked to lower tourism priorities and even to inferior coverage in the likes of the Lonely Planet and so on and so on. (Although this seems to be changing.) All of this is intricately linked together. So instead of moaning why can't you leave people get on with what their doing?

That whole post just stinks of attitude and a defensiveness that derives from that chip on your shoulder, so it would be pointless for me to engage with you.

I will say however "telling us your wonderful achievements" is the kind of smart arse remark that's usually set aside for someone I'd assume to have a lower intellect than you. However, it's a very useful tool to use when you don't actually have anything to say about what you have done for this town.

Your entire post there was an embarrassment to ya, and not that it matters a jot to you, but your stock has plummeted in my eyes.

That whole post just stinks of attitude and a defensiveness that derives from that chip on your shoulder, so it would be pointless for me to engage with you.

I will say however "telling us your wonderful achievements" is the kind of smart arse remark that's usually set aside for someone I'd assume to have a lower intellect than you. However, it's a very useful tool to use when you don't actually have anything to say about what you have done for this town.

Your entire post there was an embarrassment to ya, and not that it matters a jot to you, but your stock has plummeted in my eyes.

That's a fairly paltry response to serious points and real questions, and the thread is now well and truly in the gutter. It's the second post in a row where you've tried to make it personal towards me, and other than respond personally, or repeat the more general, on-topic comments I've made, I'm going to leave it go.

The only thing I will say, that I could also have said on other recent threads, is that if you are posting here with a view to keeping your stock high with every tom, dick and harry you will start to sound like a politician fairly quickly, and I think we all know that I am in no danger of getting elected to anything. Cest la vie.

That's a fairly paltry response to serious points and real questions, and the thread is now well and truly in the gutter. It's the second post in a row where you've tried to make it personal towards me, and other than respond personally, or repeat the more general, on-topic comments I've made, I'm going to leave it go.

The only thing I will say, that I could also have said on other recent threads, is that if you are posting here with a view to keeping your stock high with every tom, dick and harry you will start to sound like a politician fairly quickly, and I think we all know that I am in no danger of getting elected to anything. Cest la vie.

lol, If I was posting here with a view to "keeping my stock high with every tom, dick and harry" I'd say my chances of being elected went out the window about 4 years ago.

It's fairly difficult to have conversations with people who have such superiority complexes so we shall end our little "tit for tat" here.

I've made my point anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Fair Play to you ATBB for volunteering for Spraoi & Imagine festival.

But what is the point of having these festivals if nobody knows they are on? Sadly, very few people outside of Waterford are aware of SPRAOI Festival, & hardly anyone of Imagine.

This program would probably have featured both had it come here, not to mention the new museums in Waterford, of which very few people are aware.

Living in Dublin, you'd be very surprised by the lack of knowledge that Waterford is Ireland's 5th largest urban area. Ask most people to name the 7 largest cities in the ROI, most will say
    1 Dublin
    2 Cork
    3 Galway
    4 Kilkenny
    5 Limerick
    6 Sligo & maybe then 7 Waterford.

Waterford & Limerick (who unfairly only seem to get bad publicity) are not recognised as they should be!

It's important to do our bit to improve our city (as you are doing) but it is just as important to publicise this fact.

There are more than enough knockers out there, Waterford needs to raise its game!

Dublin people generally know very little about what happens outside of the capital.

Right, I'm happy to be proved wrong about this Media black out that seems to exist with our fair city. Does anyone have any kind of documentary evidence to show that we have been left in the dark by the country's media...and other, smaller counties have taken precedent?

There was an hour long Nationwide special on Kilkenny last night!

We've been featured extensively on Nationwide LOADS of times!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

comeraghs wrote: »
    There was an hour long Nationwide special on the town of Kilkenny last night!

Thought Kilkenny was a city?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is it any wonder why people ignore Waterford with our whole "Kilkenny isn't a City" attitude. This exact type of discussion is not allowed for a reason and has been in the charter for a very long time (well before any of us became mods).

From this point on, any discussions on whether Kilkenny is a City/Town/Village/Country/Island or whatever will result in a ban. Its pathetic at this stage.

Making Waterford a better place and pointing out blatant discrimination are two very different things, which you seem unable to grasp the concept of.

What you have done is very laudable, but you yourself seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder with people who want recognition and equality for our City. This is precisely the kind of division which has us where we are today. What you do, and what we are doing here, ultimately has the same goal. You have to recognise this. Instead of bashing people for pointing out, and complaining about, the crass stupidity of our National broadcaster, you should be embracing - not knocking it.

• Advertisement

It isn't pathetic!

it's a discussion on the Law, in this case the 2001 Local Government act which states " There are 5 cities in Ireland, Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway & Waterford. Kilkenny is allowed to use the term city due to historical reasons"

That's the facts!

& ABTB (insert witty comment that that will be me, as Sully seems to take any discussion of this issue as some kind of sin) Waterford HAS been feautured on Nationwide but I can never remember a whole episode being devoted to Waterford.

Sully wrote: »
    Is it any wonder why people ignore Waterford with our whole "Kilkenny isn't a City" attitude.

Ignoring Waterford has very little to do with this.

Dublin people generally know very little about what happens outside of the capital.

Right, I'm happy to be proved wrong about this Media black out that seems to exist with our fair city. Does anyone have any kind of documentary evidence to show that we have been left in the dark by the country's media...and other, smaller counties have taken precedent?

Pointing out the obvious, but..............Creedon's cities........

Bashing? You're having a laugh aren't ya?

If the Discrimination is so blatant, then please give me evidence of it.

You've arrived here on the arrogant bus I see. Someone has a different opinion to you and you can't handle it?

Not really understanding your indignation, given your own attitude towards others on here. You've spent most of your contribution knocking people who are pushing for an equal share of National exposure for Waterford City.

If that's arrogant then, well....guilty as charged. And proud of it.

LOL, you guys are hilarious. Someone has a different opinion to you so suddenly I'm "bashing" "knocking people" "indignant" "moaning" "deriding"? Hilarious.

I'm just not sure that we're being ignored on the level that you think we are.

The Green party consistently refer to Dublin, Cork, and Galway.

RTE had a list of cities on the weather forecast which excluded Waterford. Which was changed when complaints were made.

As for TV3....

Myhome.ie excludes Waterford on its main page (so did Daft until complains were made).

Groupon.ie lists Dublin, Cork, Limerick and galway.....and the South East.

It goes on and on.

It is ALWAYS Waterford - very rarely one of the others.

Maybe you could expend some of that voluntary energy of yours into an email to RTE?

LOL, you guys are hilarious. Someone has a different opinion to you so suddenly I'm "bashing" "knocking people" "indignant" "moaning" "deriding"? Hilarious.

So everyone else is wrong.........and you're right? for someone who has, according to yourself, volunteered for many different things, it seems totally at odds that you adopt the stance that you do.

So you think RTE's treatment of Waterford is "hilarious" then?

7upfree wrote: »
    So everyone else is wrong.........and you're right? for someone who has, according to yourself, volunteered for many different things, it seems totally at odds that you adopt the stance that you do.

So you think RTE's treatment of Waterford is "hilarious" then?

Right...tell me where I have said that everyone else is wrong and I'm right. What I find hilarious is all the names that you're calling me, just for offering a dissenting opinion.

• Advertisement

In all fairness, Limerick city gets a poor deal from RTE also, They only get in the news when something bad happens!

Galway, West Cork, Mayo, Kilkenny & Kerry seem to get over-represented. & FAIR PLAY to their PR people who are doing a great job for those places! maybe our reps should try & learn from them!

It could be worse though, when is the last time you saw Cavan, Carlow or Roscommon get good publicity!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement