Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE1: Creedon's Cities - except Waterford!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

I've decided from hence forth I now live in Bally City, Co. Waterford, declare your city today and soon you can be like kilkenny !

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Lismore, Ferns & Tuam are also cities! Well they are allowed call themselves cities, so isn't that the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

comeraghs wrote: »
    Lismore, Ferns & Tuam are also cities! Well they are allowed call themselves cities, so isn't that the same!

Who gives a flying f*ck like, seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

comeraghs wrote: »

Local Government Act, 2001.

Cities:
    Local Government Areas (Counties and Cities): Part 2.

Kilkenny clause:
    Local government areas.
    (7) This section is without prejudice to the continued use of the description city in relation to Kilkenny, to the extent that that description was used before the establishment day and is not otherwise inconsistent with this Act.

Feel free to wear out your keyboard by repeatedly searching for Ferns, Lismore, etc. in that document until reality sinks in.

If only there was a button that would insert this response automatically on all city/Kilkenny/Ferns/Tir na NOg/myFavouriteTownCity threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Jeepers folks, what the heck is it with Waterford and Kilkenny on this forum? The fact of the matter is that outside of either 'place', nobody seriously considers either one to be a city!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Waterford is just a large town, Kilkenny is just a town. Now New York is a city, Barcelona is a city, Rome is a city etc...... the only cities in ireland are Dublin and........em Dublin.

Yep. It comes into many threads on here that KK is not really a city and shouldn't be classed as one but in reality Waterford isn't really one either and I don't care about charters and rubbish like that. For me, a city comes down to size - pure and simple.

Gets on my goat that so many threads descend into this Waterford vs Kilkenny rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

7upfree wrote: »
    Well said.

It has a borough Council not a City Council. Nuff said.

Surely by that logic Clonmel, Dungarvan, Youghal, Ennis etc could also call themselves Cities?

Fingal and Dun Laoghaire Rathdown have County Councils but that doesn't make them Counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Yep. It comes into many threads on here that KK is not really a city and shouldn't be classed as one but in reality Waterford isn't really one either and I don't care about charters and rubbish like that. For me, a city comes down to size - pure and simple.

Gets on my goat that so many threads descend into this Waterford vs Kilkenny rubbish.

Have you been reading the thread? It's not a Waterford v Kilkenny thing. It was a Waterford City v RTE thing until people were unsure whether KK was classes as a city or not as RTE believed it was, but it isn't. Really Waterford only a city in name, but if RTE are going to do a show on 4 out of the 5 national cities, the question of why we were excluded had to be asked.

Yes, I did read the thread and it started off well enough but then descended into whether or not KK was a city.......what had that got to do with the OP?

I suppose I'm just venting because I wish that this whole thing didn't come into so many threads. So many seem to veer off into that type of discussion....

• Advertisement

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Kilkenny is a city it was granted a city charter by the British. You should write to the BBC at least they would give you an intelligent reply.
    Yes, I did read the thread and it started off well enough but then descended into whether or not KK was a city.......what had that got to do with the OP?

I suppose I'm just venting because I wish that this whole thing didn't come into so many threads. So many seem to veer off into that type of discussion....

You just contradicted yourself, so are you annoyed its a Waterford v Kilkenny thing or annoyed that the thread has become whether or not KK is a city? :confused:

The posts I've Quoted above show where the confusion about Kilkennys city status arised. I'd be annoyed if the thread did become a Waterford v Kilkenny thing, but I see no sign of that here. :)

Mr Todd it seems like your looking for a debate thats not really there, i think the Green Hornet was wondering why the KK/Waterford debate sometimes comes up on the forum, i dont think he/she was trying to start the debate about KK/Waterford, the simple fact of the matter is that Waterford is not a city,Kilkenny is not a city nor is Cork/Galway/Limerick so its RTE that have got it wrong, the name of the show should be Creedons towns, and jesus Waterford will still be excluded cause no one loves us.

Couldn't have said it any better myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

No one loves us but we shouldn't give a ****. I really wish we'd stop being so obsessed with this city thing, it's embarrassing. I've always said it, I'd rather leave in a great town than a crap city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

It doesn't matter one jot whether you THINK someplace should be a 'City'.

Its the law. Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford are cities, whether you like it or not. Kilkenny is no longer a city, but it allowed under the law to continue using the term for historical reasons.

This is not opinion, it is fact.

Merlente quoted the relevant legislation above.

Full stop.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Seriously, you're dead right. Just had a flick through this thread I'm actually shocked that people in Waterford city believe that to bang on about Kilkenny not being a city that somehow it makes Waterford more of a city. It's actually bordering on obsession. Is this going to get RTE to notice Waterford or put it on an equal footing with Galway et al? Not a hope.
    Pretty much every second post here mentions how Kilkenny is not a city.If that makes ya's feel better then fair enough, but is it going to gain recognition of Waterford outside? As somewhere people would visit for the weekend?
    You would all be better served put forward real arguments as to why Waterford should be included in the show. Rather than repeatedly mention Kilkenny not being a city. And Kilkenny was not even included in the RTE Show; I'd hate to see the vitriol had we been :D
    P.S. the RTE guy that emailed threw Kilkenny in as a red herring; I'd say the truth was they had never considered Waterford as part of their show and the "two smallest cities" was a way of softening the blow ;). But that as I was saying has zilch to do with Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wiggwamm

am,excuse me what about belfast,derry and armagh.none of ye mentioned them,
    have ye forgotten about us up north or are ye being partitionist as usual,half of us up here are as irish as the rest of ye.theres 8 cities in ireland in my book,5 in the republic and
    3 in the north.

wiggwamm wrote: »
    am,excuse me what about belfast,derry and armagh.none of ye mentioned them,
    have ye forgotten about us up north or are ye being partitionist as usual,half of us up here are as irish as the rest of ye.theres 8 cities in ireland in my book,5 in the republic and
    3 in the north.

RTE forgot about ye too:D ah we didnt forget ye up there we were just comparing the whole crap of who is a city between Waterford/Galway/Kilkenny/Limerick/Cork/Dublin. I spent a week on Falls rd in Belfast and that was nearly as big as Kilkenny:p, its a nice place but yeah if we included the north in our city/town discussion then Belfast is a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wiggwamm

good man,at least someones thinkin about us.just watched the show,enjoyed it
    and found it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

alinton wrote: »
    It doesn't matter one jot whether you THINK someplace should be a 'City'.

Its the law. Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford are cities, whether you like it or not. Kilkenny is no longer a city, but it allowed under the law to continue using the term for historical reasons.

This is not opinion, it is fact.

Merlente quoted the relevant legislation above.

Full stop.

A.

Indeed, despite the fact that the law has been quoted -- which should put an end to the matter -- we still have every man and his dog giving his "opinion" on what is or is not a city. It's like groundhog day on here.

What cracks me up then are the people getting worked up about other people getting worked up about whether X or Y is a city. Just point to the law. It's a matter of dusty, boring legislation. Let it go. Can't we just have a definitive post/thread at the top of the board which people are required to read before posting? Because this is getting really old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Eh it's not just those banging on about KK that are missing the point of my post but also the "Dublin is the only city" brigade.
    I started off with; "here we go again" because this slight on Waterford by RTE, small and seemingly insignificant, is just the latest in a very long line of slights, snubs and put downs that Waterford has had to endure in its slide into insignificance at the hands of the state and all it's outposts; govt. depts, IDA, RTE, HSE, the bloody lot of them.
    Do you think the people of Galway were embarrassed when their town was upgraded to city status in the 80's and it proceeded to pass out Waterford in size and stature within a few years? No chance and good luck to them, the City of the Tribes spurns no chance to get its profile up.
    These things matter. It's not about the name, it's about what goes with it, same as the University debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

My friend made a blog entry about this, thought it might interest some of ye.

http://seandefoe.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/creedon-cant-count/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

mfitzy wrote: »
    Seriously, you're dead right. Just had a flick through this thread I'm actually shocked that people in Waterford city believe that to bang on about Kilkenny not being a city that somehow it makes Waterford more of a city. It's actually bordering on obsession. Is this going to get RTE to notice Waterford or put it on an equal footing with Galway et al? Not a hope.
    Pretty much every second post here mentions how Kilkenny is not a city.If that makes ya's feel better then fair enough, but is it going to gain recognition of Waterford outside? As somewhere people would visit for the weekend?
    You would all be better served put forward real arguments as to why Waterford should be included in the show. Rather than repeatedly mention Kilkenny not being a city. And Kilkenny was not even included in the RTE Show; I'd hate to see the vitriol had we been :D
    P.S. the RTE guy that emailed threw Kilkenny in as a red herring; I'd say the truth was they had never considered Waterford as part of their show and the "two smallest cities" was a way of softening the blow ;). But that as I was saying has zilch to do with Kilkenny.

Indeed it doesn't. It was a clever distraction (which KK is) by RTE. Vitriol? Vitriol is when you have someone living a mile outside the Waterford city limits driving to Kilkenny for shopping because she hates Waterford - then rings the Waterford radio station to which she listens each day to proclaim this behaviour. Ah, people from south KK. God love them!

The "real argument" is that Waterford is the oldest City in Ireland - before even Dublin. That in itself - leaving aside all the other good things about it - qualifies it.

As for smallest - there are housing estates on the Dunmore Road which would dwarf Kilkenny town. Literally.

The only thing that will put Waterford on an equal footing is a University. Two Unis within 60 miles of each other on the West coast, but Waterford is deemed unsuitable by successive Governments, including this one, courtesy of the laughable Labour stalwart, Ruairi Quinn.

As for vitriol, your own is fairly palpable there.

mfitzy wrote: »

Nobody here was slagging Kilkenny's lack of city status... no-one here was using our City status to feel better about ourselves at Kilkenny's expense!! People were highlighting that KK doesn't have City stays anymore because someone on the thread (and the RTE guy) incorrectly claimed it did!! Is that really hard to comprehend? :o

Whether or not Waterford deserves 'city status' is irrelevant here. We are a city by law and thus should have been included in the RTE programme. You are probably right with the 'softening the blow' thing, he was just fobbing us off. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 labratd22

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Kilkenny is a city it was granted a city charter by the British. You should write to the BBC at least they would give you an intelligent reply.

Kilkenny was only granted formal city status at the behest of Big Phil in 2001, even though it used the city title before that see here and Minister of State Tom Kitt explanation of why is was granted at that time

"It was never intended that Kilkenny would be a city such as Dublin or Cork. All Kilkenny wanted was to be allowed to continue to use the term “city” in recognition of its ancient tradition"

But then in 2002, Phil Hogan asked for "full city status" for Kilkenny, in 2009 he said "Kilkenny has lost its City status courtesy of Fianna Fáil".

That man is never happy

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

excellent letter on this topic in this weeks edition of the news and star!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lads, I know the Kilkenny phenomenon muddies the water, but I'm tired of seeing people attack the place and calling it Kilkenny Town and so on. Kilkenny is a fine city that a lot of people like, and maybe we should - I don't know - learn some lessons from up the road? It says a lot about our own self confidence that we have to attack somewhere half our size just to make ourselves feel better.

Can't we just be proud of what we have and let our argument with RTE stand on its own merits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

fricatus wrote: »
    Lads, I know the Kilkenny phenomenon muddies the water, but I'm tired of seeing people attack the place and calling it Kilkenny Town and so on. Kilkenny is a fine city that a lot of people like, and maybe we should - I don't know - learn some lessons from up the road? It says a lot about our own self confidence that we have to attack somewhere half our size just to make ourselves feel better.

Can't we just be proud of what we have and let our argument with RTE stand on its own merits?

Exactly. The KK bashing is starting to make us look very small and petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Exactly. The KK bashing is starting to make us look very small and petty.

We need to take on bigger fish.
    UP YOURS CORK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

There was no KK bashing!

Someone from KK said it was a city, It was pointed out to them that officialy & legally it isn't a city & it should rest there.

Back to the point! Waterford deserves & should be respected as 1 of the 5 official cities of the Irish Republic. It hasn't been & unless Waterfordians stand up & demand that it is, it will never be!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement