Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE1: Creedon's Cities - except Waterford!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

7upfree wrote: »
    The Green party consistently refer to Dublin, Cork, and Galway.

RTE had a list of cities on the weather forecast which excluded Waterford. Which was changed when complaints were made.

As for TV3....

Myhome.ie excludes Waterford on its main page (so did Daft until complains were made).

Groupon.ie lists Dublin, Cork, Limerick and galway.....and the South East.

It goes on and on.

It is ALWAYS Waterford - very rarely one of the others.

Maybe you could expend some of that voluntary energy of yours into an email to RTE?

If I felt as strongly as you do about it I'd be inclined to do a lot more than just an email tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

comeraghs wrote: »
    It isn't pathetic!

it's a discussion on the Law, in this case the 2001 Local Government act which states " There are 5 cities in Ireland, Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway & Waterford. Kilkenny is allowed to use the term city due to historical reasons"

That's the facts!

& ABTB (insert witty comment that that will be me, as Sully seems to take any discussion of this issue as some kind of sin) Waterford HAS been feautured on Nationwide but I can never remember a whole episode being devoted to Waterford.

Congratulations. Your the first to be banned for being completely ignorant to the previous warning.

As an aside, I don't care about people wanting to talk about Waterford being ignored. It does happen. Even by tourism officials who are ****ing based in Waterford for crying out loud. But fighting about who is/isn't a city wont get us anywhere. So drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Sully wrote: »
    Congratulations. Your the first to be banned for being completely ignorant to the previous warning.

As an aside, I don't care about people wanting to talk about Waterford being ignored. It does happen. Even by tourism officials who are ****ing based in Waterford for crying out loud. But fighting about who is/isn't a city wont get us anywhere. So drop it.

Would it not make more sense to just point people to the law and leave it at that rather than banning people who are actually trying to end the "fighting" by introducing facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Right...tell me where I have said that everyone else is wrong and I'm right. What I find hilarious is all the names that you're calling me, just for offering a dissenting opinion.

Where have I called you names? Wake up and smell the coffee. Waterford's in trouble. We are consistently being ignored both by Government (the current lot have hit a new low though) and the media.

I am a proud Waterfordian who wants this exposed at every turn. You are choosing to ignore it (as is your right) and then chose to castigate others for raising a very important issue - for whatever reasons you have.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

merlante wrote: »
    Would it not make more sense to just point people to the law and leave it at that rather than banning people who are actually trying to end the "fighting" by introducing facts?

Would it not make more sense for you to actually follow the earlier instruction? Seriously, its gone beyond a joke and we have been VERY relaxed about it. Not any more. Banned.

• Advertisement

If I felt as strongly as you do about it I'd be inclined to do a lot more than just an email tbh.

What do you recommend?

Sully wrote: »
    Would it not make more sense for you to actually follow the earlier instruction? Seriously, its gone beyond a joke and we have been VERY relaxed about it. Not any more. Banned.

Is merlante also banned??????

Is merlante also banned??????
    Yes. There will be absolutely no discussion about Kilkenny City status and the law or "not so laws" surrounding it. Its in the charter. by a previous mod for this forum, and its a pain in the ass for moderators. Plus its a stupid discussion at this stage.

Lets keep on topic in which you are raising very valid points.

Where have I called you names? Wake up and smell the coffee. Waterford's in trouble. We are consistently being ignored both by Government (the current lot have hit a new low though) and the media.

I am a proud Waterfordian who wants this exposed at every turn. You are choosing to ignore it (as is your right) and then chose to castigate others for raising a very important issue - for whatever reasons you have.

I'm not castigating anyone, in fact it is I who is being castigated for having alternate views to some of you guys. And in fact, I don't feel too strongly on it one way or the other...except that I think it reflects badly on Waterford people when they become obsessed about it, instead of spending more time promoting our city.

I'm not castigating anyone, in fact it is I who is being castigated for having alternate views to some of you guys. And in fact, I don't feel too strongly on it one way or the other...except that I think it reflects badly on Waterford people when they become obsessed about it, instead of spending more time promoting our city.

Erm, which is precisely what we're trying to do. Heighten its profile (by ensuring its inclusion in programmes like this).....thus promoting the City.

Whereas I think people like yourself would be better off carrying out the good work you do, and complimenting and supporting others whose efforts compliment yours, rather than castigating them at every opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

In fairness, ATBB wasn't castigating anybody at all. Just because some of us don't stay awake at night thinking that they're all out to get us doesn't mean he doesn't care.

My original post way back when was in relation to the fact that the OP was about Waterford but yet the thread descended into the KK thing......like so many others.

KK has nothing whatsoever to do with Waterford so I don't see why it has to keep coming up.

I should clarify that I'm not originally from Waterford but l am living here for 10 years now. To me, as a blow in, it does seem that there's a bit of paranoia.

Hope I don't get banned for mentioning KK now but Sully was right to intervene. In fairness, he often does when this crap keeps happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

This thread seems to have gotten derailed just a tad, i think a referendum on Kilkennys status is needed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Heh heh

UpTheDeise were probably the only people heavily campaigning for Waterford to be recognised on various sites etc. That's pretty much stopped now!

Waterford hurling is a prime example of the attitude of some folks in Waterford, they will only show interest when things are going good and as soon as **** hits the fan they drop off like flies much like Waterford itself.

When things are going well in the city some people are jumping on the 'this is a great city' bandwagon and when its up **** creek people start blaming everyone else for it being a **** city, the fact of the matter is the town is gone to **** and all this whinging wont solve a thing, RTE dont care if Waterford folks are upset at the fact we didnt get a slot on a silly little programme they will continue to make whatever they want.

If there was more effort in cleaning up Waterford and promoting it then that would be a start but going back and forth in stupid arguments and attacking people personally on an internet chat forum is not going to do a thing.

Everyone has their own beliefs and their own views and im sure the debate would be better off if it didnt become personal between posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 denis behan city legend

The reason that Waterford gets ignored is that in my view, even though it's a city and a nice place to live for the most part, it's a small scale provincial backwater with a poor reputation, some of it deserved.

To be fair, some of the other places being featured aren't that much bigger. The only real city in Ireland is Dublin. My definition of a city takes size into account. While there is the legal definition blah blah blah etc it doesn't take away from the fact that Waterford is a small place.

As a blow in who reads here from time to time I find the chip on the shoulder, provincial mindedness truly baffling. Then again, maybe I'm the one who's wrong. Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

My two cents.. What is needed is a joint approach by the Southeast as the West has done succesfully for years. Politicians from Waterford,Wexford and Kilkenny need to campaign for certain regionl goals that such as university status and an extension to the runway. Look at benefits the area and forget about boundaries and parish pump politics.

Until this happens RTE the Dáil , the other UNI heads will sit back and let us fight it out amongst ourselves.

A gentleman i know recently told me that he worked in Government buildings in the 80's and delagations used to arrive in from the West consisting of the Mayor's ofGalway Westport, Castlebar and surrounding areas.All the political representatives would turn up FROM ALL PARTIES as well and present lists of requests. These guys would probably kill each other at home but present a united front in Dublin.

In my opinion its only when we start working together will any real progress be made.

Currently we have two FG TD's deeply divided and FG councillors in Tramore fighting with each other. As look as all these divisions and rivalry exist the SE will get the short end of the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

S28382 wrote: »
    Waterford hurling is a prime example of the attitude of some folks in Waterford, they will only show interest when things are going good and as soon as **** hits the fan they drop off like flies much like Waterford
    And Kilkenny people don't?at least we can take a beating and be able to speak about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

marlin vs wrote: »
    And Kilkenny people don't?at least we can take a beating and be able to speak about it.

That's because we are used to it by now

That's because we are used to it by now
    That's for sure, but we are still gracious in defeat.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kilkenny people dont need to speak about it as they know they have the mentality and the talent to come back the next time and actually have another good pop at it.
    That's for sure, but we are still gracious in defeat.:rolleyes:

Waterford hurlers hype themselves too much, they aint gracious they just slip away quietly in case some one questions their arrogance and no im not from Kilkenny im from Waterford and i follow hurling im sick of the Waterford hurlers bigging themselves up and then not following through with all of their talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Kilkenny people dont need to speak about it as they know they have the mentality and the talent to come back the next time and actually have another good pop at it

Waterford hurlers hype themselves too much, they aint gracious they just slip away quietly in case some one questions their arrogance and no im not from Kilkenny im from Waterford and i follow hurling im sick of the Waterford hurlers bigging themselves up and then not following through with all of their talk.

I confess I'm not too well up on the current Waterford squad but never thought any previous teams to be arrogant or ungracious or hype themselves up. Guys like Tony Browne for instance, what a gentleman, pity he never got an all Ireland medal. As I say I don't know about the current team but this seems a tad harsh? Afterall, these guys are amateur players at the end of the day, giving of their time for our entertainment :)

I was actually speaking of the supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Fair point, some fans do get carried away with the occasion and look a bit silly when we get beat, but at least we travel to games and follow through with our support.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

why does Kilkenny have to be dragged into the discussion again? :pac: Every time there is a criticism of Waterford people try to deflect it onto Kilkenny.

Waterfords a small city - "at least we are a city unlike Kilkenny" /quotes obscure law.

The hurling supporters are sunshine supporters, - "At least we can take our beating unlike Kilkenny"

I actually noticed something funny recently when doing a search, these are the forum results on boards when Kilkenny is searched for:
    GAA 8,793
    Kilkenny City & County 4,153
    After Hours 2,046
    Waterford City 2,025
    Weather 1,571
    Soccer 832
    Motors 761
    Cycling 661
    Commuting & Transport 572
    Roads 538
    « Show Less
    Rugby 417
    Athletics / Running / Triathlon 365
    Carlow 336
    Photography 316
    Broadband 311
    Golf 309
    Self Defence & Martial Arts 304
    Bargain Alerts 278
    Gambling 268
    Darts 262
    Gigs & Events 248
    Bands & Musicians Community 240
    A / R / T Events 231
    Classic Cars 226
    Politics 225
    Animals & Pet Issues 223
    Shooting 217
    Tipperary 211
    Hunting 184
    Beer & Wine & Spirits 178
    Real-World Tournaments & Events 172
    Fashion & Appearance 162
    Poker 161
    IrelandOffline 155

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

^^^ LOL :D

As I said myself in an earlier post, we really have to stop obsessing about... ahem... the Marble City!!!

The real hidden threat according to many people with the inside track, is Cork. De Real Capittle sees itself as capital not only of the People's Republic, but of Greater Munster, and sees Limerick, Clare, Waterford, etc. as its own Lebensraum.

You think I'm joking? Read Professor Ed Walsh's book about the founding and development of UL and you'll get a flavour of how much UCC tried to stymie it at every hand's turn.

And for a concrete, Waterford-related example, remember when WRTC was upgraded to WIT alongside DIT? Who kicked up an almighty stink? That's right! Cork RTC.

The real villains are always hidden in the shadows...

The number of people going to the games are down, alot of the sunshine supporters have gone missing and the munster semi was proof of that although im sure for the final there will be a bigger support. I know Waterford gets a good following but that was when the team was on the up and went they peaked but i remember being at games with my dad and there hardly no one there especially if it was raining.

Anyway this is detracting from the OPs original post, back to the topic at hand.

RTE hates Waterford. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

yeah actually i take back that hurling comment I said, there is a seperate forum for GAA. I see that Brendan o conner is in mace kilmeaden doin some kind of mc today,wlr are doin deep excavations of his arsehole all evening, dey have a short memory about alot of negativity he wrote about us a couple of years ago

Leaving aside whether Kilkenny is a city or not, or what our two County's hurling teams are or are not the whole point of this thread was to voice our opinion on Waterford being excluded from a programme about Irish Cities i.e leaving 1 out of 5 out.

We should be fighting to keep our name out there as lately things have just gone from bad to worse here.

If you look at the current edition of the Free My Waterford City and County magazine in the center there is a spread about 1100 years of History in Waterford. It has the main historic facts made out briefly. This is what we should all be focusing our efforts on.

Promoting Waterford as somewhere to learn about the past and to encourage growth in our City.

We can argue till the cows come home about other counties status as a City but its not going to get us anywhere, one thing you do have to hand to Kilkenny is that they know how to promote their county. I don't know is it just because there town center is smaller or they are just better at promoting themselves but the minute tourist season starts, it always seems to be busy in town. I am from Waterford and very Proud to be from Waterford especially with the fantastic show we put on last year for the tall ships but was unable to get work here and travel to Kilkenny for work every day. To be honest it is a fantastic place but no better or worse then Waterford is, but yet it has far more hotels than Waterford with far better nightlife etc all because they know how to promote themselves.

Our City council need to get off there arse and fight to keep the spirit of this city alive. There has been so much bad news in the last number of years we need to change that.

It shouldn't be us on here fighting with RTE about not being included in Creedons Cities it should be our city councilors fighting more to get us the publicity that is needed to bring business and tourists to our city. In fairness to them they have done a fantastic job on Paranell street.

Waterford is a fantastic place with great people and we should be proud of that, and I genuinely think that if Waterford got the same recognition as other Cities and got given its University Status (like every other city) then it would not just benefit us it would benefit the whole of the South East. Instead of fighting with our neighboring counties we should all be getting together to promote the South East as a whole.

• Advertisement

Leaving aside whether Kilkenny is a city or not, or what our two County's hurling teams are or are not the whole point of this thread was to voice our opinion on Waterford being excluded from a programme about Irish Cities i.e leaving 1 out of 5 out.

We should be fighting to keep our name out there as lately things have just gone from bad to worse here.

If you look at the current edition of the Free My Waterford City and County magazine in the center there is a spread about 1100 years of History in Waterford. It has the main historic facts made out briefly. This is what we should all be focusing our efforts on.

Promoting Waterford as somewhere to learn about the past and to encourage growth in our City.

We can argue till the cows come home about other counties status as a City but its not going to get us anywhere, one thing you do have to hand to Kilkenny is that they know how to promote their county. I don't know is it just because there town center is smaller or they are just better at promoting themselves but the minute tourist season starts, it always seems to be busy in town. I am from Waterford and very Proud to be from Waterford especially with the fantastic show we put on last year for the tall ships but was unable to get work here and travel to Kilkenny for work every day. To be honest it is a fantastic place but no better or worse then Waterford is, but yet it has far more hotels than Waterford with far better nightlife etc all because they know how to promote themselves.

Our City council need to get off there arse and fight to keep the spirit of this city alive. There has been so much bad news in the last number of years we need to change that.

It shouldn't be us on here fighting with RTE about not being included in Creedons Cities it should be our city councilors fighting more to get us the publicity that is needed to bring business and tourists to our city. In fairness to them they have done a fantastic job on Paranell street.

Waterford is a fantastic place with great people and we should be proud of that, and I genuinely think that if Waterford got the same recognition as other Cities and got given its University Status (like every other city) then it would not just benefit us it would benefit the whole of the South East. Instead of fighting with our neighboring counties we should all be getting together to promote the South East as a whole.

So what are you going to do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement