Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens clothes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I bye q lot of my clothes on amazon and eBay except

Black fitted shirts with no breast pocket generally get them from marks and Spencer's

Jeans any kind as long a they fit...

Shoes keen boots, Osiris and Nike
    Sneakers generally skate style shoes

Hoodies bye Oakley with the thumb thingy...

North face puffer jackets...

T shirts any I'm not fussed as long as there nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

I buy a lot of the banana republic clothing range, I order online.

Really good trendy stuff.

Doesn't cost a fortune and sometimes they have discount offers ordering online.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

I buy a fair bit of ralph lauren stuff as well.

Really high quality stuff, not hugely expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

awec wrote: »
    Want a pair of penguin shoes for me hols. :D

Their stuff is unreal and thankfully hasn't been done to death like a&f or holister

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

fat__tony wrote: »
    I buy a fair bit of ralph lauren stuff as well.

Really high quality stuff, not hugely expensive either.

Can't go wrong with this brand.

Lots of bargains in their polos and shirts in TK Maxx at the moment (seems to be most stores in Ireland and the UK) as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Believe it or not but aldi have some decent clothes every now and again. Got a jacket and suit there in the last year for weddings and they get lots of compliements from people- reasonsable prices too.

Urban Outfitters.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

BT2, Jack & Jones & Bests for most of my stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

What would be the best options in Dublin for buying a decent leather jacket? Or even online?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Irish lads, in general are very poorly dressed.

I enjoy shopping for clothes.

Shops I frequent are RiverIsland, Topman, BT2, Genius, Zara, H&M, FCUK and few others.

For the accessories etc you can do worse than H&M. Its cheap & maybe not great quality but fine for buying undergarments like plain white/coloured tees.

There's a superb men's fashion website called fashionbeans.

It really covers all angles on guys fashion for summer / winter wear.

Tells ya where you should spend big & where you can save.

No better feeling than wearing something thats brand new & feeling great in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

pennies for t-shirts, socks, boxers
    heatons for sporty clothes
    pull and bear for hoodies
    anywhere for runners
    roadjeans.com for chords
    urban outfitters, cult, tkmax etc for other items, but that's that hard part, theyre all so expensive and rarely have stuff that I like, but I wouldn't know where else to look tbh, just have to get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

ASOS dresses me mostly. I tend to buy Diesel, Lyle and Scott and a few others from there. For basics I buy stuff from American Apparel or Topman and for nights out I usually wear All Saints.

In Ireland though we don't have a huge amount of choice - when I lived in Yorkshire there was plenty of independent stores with great labels but that doesn't happen here, hence most people are dressed by the high street. In Dublin I frequent AA, All Saints, Topman and Size although as I said, I usually just use ASOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I find that clothes from Topman ,River island,asos after a couple of washes they look shabby or something. Best quality clothes brand i've found is Carhartt. Their stuff lasts years i tell ya :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Downstairs in Debenhams on Henry St has a vast amount of men's clothes and always some stuff on sale. It's not cramped and many different sections.

Same goes for Arnotts and downstairs in Clerys.

As for which I buy: I'll be jeans, shirts and boots 'till I die (sounds like a Bryan Adams song) and try to go for the best quality I can. Boot Cut Levis, Jasper Conran, Diesel etc and shirts could be anything but have a LOT of Hugo Boss shirts.

Boots would be the most expensive thing I buy as they can be very hard to get a nice ankle boot that doesn't look naff. Hate pointy toe boots for instance and they are ten a penny. Wear CAT Desert boots most days though - so comfortable. I'm a sexy bitch.

Oh, final tip - go into the expensive places like downstairs in Brown Thomas and see what you like (try it on and what not) note the brand and sizes and then search Ebay for it. I've picked up loads of stuff at 1/4 of the price like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

For jeans, I usually look in Urban Outfitters, Arnotts, BT2 and Genius. Nudie, Replay and Diesel are my favourite brands. For shirts and polos I'll visit Ted Baker and Jack Wills. Both do good jackets too. Topman and H&M for cheap plain t-shirts. TK Maxx for belts and underwear. Zara and River Island for a bit of everything. All Saints if there's a sale on because their cords are okay.

I don't like wearing clothes with massive labels on them so A&F, Hollister, Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger are out. Some or Jack Wills stuff have huge labels too.
    niallo24 wrote: »
    What would be the best options in Dublin for buying a decent leather jacket? Or even online?
    I saw a couple of good ones in Massimo Dutti in Dundrum recently that weren't crazily priced. If you want to go vintage, sometimes Eager Beaver have nice jackets.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Big fan of second hand shops myself. With some patience and having a good eye, you pick up great stuff for next to nothing, with other obvious perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Big fan of second hand shops myself. With some patience and having a good eye, you pick up great stuff for next to nothing, with other obvious perks.

whereabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

im suprised more people dont shop online

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing second hand clothes, it'd just feel odd.

Anyhow, my usual stops for clothes would be Arnotts for suits/shirts/jeans/slacks, usually just after getting paid and before I come to my sences :D. TkMaxx for a few shirts and an occasional Tshirt. Clarks for shoes, and play.com for a few Tshirts or Jumpers.

I tend to always wear variants of the same exact thing (I have multiples of the same pants, shirt, etc.). Almost like a cartoon character at this stage.

I do it all on eBay. I pick up pretty decent black combat pants for ~€20-€25. Polo shirts for about the same, etc. The only thing I wear that I haven't bought online are shoes (though i still always buy the same shoes from the same shop, anyway) and a jacket that I am actually quite fond of, that was got for me as a gift.

Despite buying on ebay, like an above poster said, I'd never buy/wear second hand clothes. I don't like the thoughts of it at all.

I'm terribly exciting, I know. :o

Mind you, I've never understood fashion anyway. I just stick to what I know because it's comfortable. If it comes in black, all the better. And also mildly related; I seem to be in the minority but I can't understand how so many people pay over the odds for 'funny' slogan t-shirts and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I live in the US so these are the shops i frequent:

Express nearly for nearly everything. They have shirts that are great fitting for my body type, they are the only shirts i own for work or nights out.

Levis for jeans.

Armani Exchange, even tho its the most guido brand there is, they do some really high quality, well fitting t-shirts as long as they are plain tees without the ridiculous logos on them.

Works pants, i go for Bonobos or Calvin Klein.

Outerwear, the Gap/Banana Republic brands do some great jackets for casual and formal if you shop at their higher priced range

Shoes - Formal - Aldo or Calvin Klein
    Shoes - Casual - Mostly Adidas

Suits are all J Crew

Some other shops from time to time: are Lacoste, Emporio Armani, Topman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

i just can't venture into that area. I have to try clothes on there and then before I buy. Some things that I love on the rack just look wrong or awful if I try them on. Sizes (especially trouser/jeans lengths) often don't mean anything particularly if you are taller.

I know all the online retailers have efficient and hassle free returns policies but it still involves making sure you or someone else is at home to receive the parcels and then head to the Post Office to return. Also, I have to admit I like clothes shopping! :)(an activity I know many blokes despise!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

ongarboy wrote: »
    i just can't venture into that area. I have to try clothes on there and then before I buy. Some things that I love on the rack just look wrong or awful if I try them on. Sizes (especially trouser/jeans lengths) often don't mean anything particularly if you are taller.

I know all the online retailers have efficient and hassle free returns policies but it still involves making sure you or someone else is at home to receive the parcels and then head to the Post Office to return. Also, I have to admit I like clothes shopping! :)(an activity I know many blokes despise!)

Same as, I want to know how they fell on, are they comfy, so they fit right, etc !

And i do like clothes shopping! there's nothing like picking up a few shirt,s pant's and shoes for a night out !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I play a lot of golf and consequently live in polo shirts and knits. Big fan of J. Lindeberg for those articles, but their gear is expensive so will rarely buy something that isn't on sale. Other 'golfing' labels I've invested in are Lyle and Scott and Puma; both do some nice stuff.

Have 3 pairs of jeans, including ones from Ben Sherman and one from Firetrap and very happy with them, no rips and they've been around for a while. Bought three new formal shirts from Dalveys recently and like them a lot. Otherwise, a few standard t-shirts and the like are all I need to get me through the week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I nearly always shop online especially if its a clothing store in know my sizes. Most shops do free returns so if it doenst fit its no hassle.

Even if i was to go to the real world and shop, i'd spend a lot of time online checking what stores have what clothes and what i want to buy and where. There's nothing worse if your going to spend money on a good coat or something, going to a shop seeing something you like, buy it and then walk to the next shop to find a nicer jacket and having to return the jacket you just bought.

I dunno if you have it back home, but Amazon Prime is the greatest invention known to man. Free 2-day shipping on the vast majority of items on Amazon.com ($80 yearly fee). I rarely waste my time by going into physical shops anymore. Why walk around a shop trying to find a certain product (that may or may not be in stock), pay a little extra and even transport the product back to your gaff...when you can search Amazon.com in seconds and one click the product will be at your door in two days...Amazon Prime will change how we shop forever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

penneys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Marks and Spencer.

The Goldilocks zone.

Not too cheap, not too pricey. Just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wandererz

Shirts: http://www.savilerowco.com/

Be selective with what you choose and wait for the sale prices if possible.
    Better than anything you will find in a store in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Suits: was in Vietnam two years ago, had two bespoke suits made - one a standard three-piece, the other a two-piece with a clerical-collar frock coat. Total cost was just over €200. If you're not sure where to go on your next holiday, head there - great holiday and custom clothes.

Jeans: M&S or Dunnes, as I'm an odd shape.

Shirts: H&M fitted shirts are thirteen quid a pop and are an absolute godsend for those of us with thick necks.

T-shirts: online, mainly from webcomics.

Shoes (casual): Pumas bought from Sports Direct.

Shoes (formal): plain black, origin varies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I only really shop in TK Maxx ( Not for everyone I know, but you can find some gems) and Urban Outfitters (Quite expensive but they have very good sales occasionally).

I just dislike the idea of wearing some mass-produced Topman/River Island identikit clothing...but each to their own :)

Ah c'mon man - TK Maxx and Urban Outfitters are stuff full of mass produced, identikit clothign! Because you shop in TK and UO does not make you unique!

Davey's on Grafton St do great deals on formal shirts, handy for those nights out around Grafton/Kildare/Nassua St

Advertisement